• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 3 |OT| Yes the game exists and yes it’s coming out soon.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've just beaten the second (?) boss
Hiveen
the one with the
floppy tongue

This game really is inspired a lot by Dead Space / Alien / Prometheus. I suppose it's not necessarily a bad thing, but the inspirations are really obvious and/or apparent.

EDIT: Wait, does anyone now how to defeat the second form of
Hiveen?
It's really hard to evade it's attacks :/

Is that the one where

He bursts through the shutters ? That was the worst part of the game if so. Really awkward camera angles making it a pain in the ass plus it feels like for some reason Jim won't roll without a few button presses ? Thankfully it doesn't last very long and there's no other part like it.

U2NUMB

Picked it up today (had to convince Best Buy they had copies. This is Friday and they still had their copies behind the desk from the midnight launch of madden) and all I have played so far is multiplayer but I am really enjoying it. It plays well and it has some nice ideas.

So I hope it stays healthy for a little while as I level up. I am on the 360 version and the games seemed to fill up quickly.

The online audio really shines.. I uploaded a video with my impressions as I entered MP http://youtu.be/38Tni4JLrtM

Nemesis_

Is that the one where

He bursts through the shutters ? That was the worst part of the game if so. Really awkward camera angles making it a pain in the ass plus it feels like for some reason Jim won't roll without a few button presses ? Thankfully it doesn't last very long and there's no other part like it.

Yeah, now I'm up to another boss
it's a scorpion thing
and the game has suddenly become much less forgiving when it comes to dodging. :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, now I'm up to another boss
it's a scorpion thing
and the game has suddenly become much less forgiving when it comes to dodging. :(

Hmm I don't really recall anything amiss after that boss mentioned above. You should be ok just dodging at the right time. Is that the one where you are
On foot in the lava style area ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hmm, does anyone else feels there's so much potential in this game ? If only it was handed over to a studio that did better game play, with the same story/characters/premise...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is what I thought of/wanted when I saw the first Lost Planet but didn't see the gameplay yet. Fresh new planet we don't know that is super fucking extreme and hard to manage.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, does anyone else feels there's so much potential in this game ? If only it was handed over to a studio that did better game play, with the same story/characters/premise...

I honestly thought the gameplay in LP3 was great. It was satisfying, it was punchy and I liked all the weapons they had. As a shooter I found it a lot of fun along with the RIG action as well. It was much better than the godawful Dead Space 3 which I thought was a terrible shooter. Spark Unlimited did a good job, they deserve plenty of credit.

Can someone explain the fast travel mechanic? I can't seem to get it to work.

It just takes a while to kick in when you get into an area. I'm not sure if there's any rules, I'm going to assume as long as you're not being attacked. Just walk around a bit and you'll get the option to fast travel appear onscreen.

Nemesis_

Ahh right, and last question - how do I know where to plant T-ENG posts? Or do I actually have to explore and listen very carefully? :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh right, and last question - how do I know where to plant T-ENG posts? Or do I actually have to explore and listen very carefully? :p

In all honesty I only ever did one more other than the one you had to do at the start. It was purely by chance too, I went on a random ledge and saw the place to plant it. Boom. T-ENG :p You really do have to listen I think, I never paid much attention. There's so much stuff I didn't even do and I still had 12 hours playtime by the end.

I just wish they'd include a custom playlist in your RIG so you could listen to your own music if you wanted. I'l trundle along for ages smashing Akrid if I could.

Leb

I stand in awe of this game. It's like the developers said to themselves, "let's identify some gameplay mechanics that gamers really love and we'll throw them all together and make this super awesome game. It'll be like a love letter to our fans!"

So, yeah, I pretty much loved everything about the game, but a few things could have been even more excellent with the following tweaks:

* I feel like the enemies died too easily -- sometimes I was killing enemies with only 2-3 magazines from my gun.

* And what's a particularly great enemy type for third person shooters? Why, really fast enemies that love to close within melee range where it's difficult to target them because your character model obscures your aim! No problem, this game has you covered!

* Oh, and when they come within melee range? Take your pick from two awesome outcomes: either they explode or they trigger a super awesome QTE minigame! Awesome!

* And what's a really great way to design enemy encounters? Why, horde mode! Every single time! But unlike normal horde mode, let's make some encounters literally infinite! Now the good times never need to end! Whee!!!!

* The bosses were, if anything, too much fun. Gameplay that consists of emptying magazine after magazine after magazine after magazine after magazine after magazine after magazine of ammunition into the glowing weak spot while endlessly circle-strafing around the boss and dodging each time the tell-tale attack animation cue fires... runs the risk of overloading the fun centers of the brain.

* But wait! Just got done with one boss section? Here's another one literally 3 minutes later! Loved all these boss fights? No problem, you get to fight them again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again! You're welcome!

* The rig is simply too fast. I sometimes found myself crossing the same barren, empty area in a matter of minutes when to properly appreciate the adequate scenery, it should have taken hours upon hours.

* But wait, there's more! The rig is too sturdy and the weapons are too powerful. You may think, "well, Jim is armed to the teeth so I'm sure this rig will get some pretty great kit!" and you'd be right! From the super awesome "swing the arm left to right" to the super engaging, "press the button to drill straight ahead," the rig combat sections are as exciting as plotting a trigonometric firing solution by hand!

* Oh, a firing solution? "Sweet", you may be thinking, "I'm sure I'll be getting some ranged weapons for my rig any second now!' and you'd be right! I mean, who would make a game that focuses on mech combat without ever giving that mech guns? Who indeed! Nobody would do that! It would be ridiculous! So fortunately, you'll be getting those guns you wanted any moment now!

* Oh, and you said something about the rig being too sturdy? Indeed! You're in a giant mech built from some or the sturdiest alloys known to man! So of COURSE a bunch of organic life forms will be able to rapidly whittle away your armor by repeatedly punching it!

* Often times Jim/other characters will say something to the effect of, "You've got to be kidding me," "Not again!" and "Glad that's finally over!" It's great the game is sufficiently self-aware that it can recognize that the player, having had enough of a particular section, will undoubtedly be super pleased at getting to play even more of that same section again! Ha ha ha, you scoundrel, you! You got me!

So, yeah, this is one of the most aggressively excellent, most unrelentingly awesome, most unapologetically competent games I've ever had the indescribable pleasure of playing.

WinFonda

This game is perplexing. The acting, writing, and characterization is some of the best in video games. On the other hand the gameplay is painfully weak. It's tedious. It's a chore to play through. The game is almost brilliantly meta in a way because you play a guy just doing his job to make ends meet, and through most of this game, you feel like you're actually doing his job... only you aren't getting paid for it. Maybe I wouldn't be so hard on the gameplay if the game didn't actually make me like it in spite of it. It's definitely in that kooky twilight zone of Deadly Premonition or Spec Ops: The Line charm and appeal. I'd recommend it based on the merits of its characters and atmosphere, but do play on easy.

I feel like this game should've been animated CG movie or something, but then I probably wouldn't have watched it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This game is perplexing. The acting, writing, and characterization is some of the best in video games. On the other hand the gameplay is painfully weak. It's tedious. It's a chore to play through. The game is almost brilliantly meta in a way because you play a guy just doing his job to make ends meet, and through most of this game, you feel like you're actually doing his job... only you aren't getting paid for it. Maybe I wouldn't be so hard on the gameplay if the game didn't actually make me like it in spite of it. It's definitely in that kooky twilight zone of Deadly Premonition or Spec Ops: The Line charm and appeal. I'd recommend it based on the merits of its characters and atmosphere, but do play on easy.

I feel like this game should've been animated CG movie or something, but then I probably wouldn't have watched it.

Whilst I don't agree that the gameplay is weak I must admit I do love the feeling of being a space guy just doing his job, fighting Akrid and trying to earn a few bucks for his family. I love the constant messages between you and your wife and the way the game gradually ramps up and the way the story goes. It felt natural to me if that makes sense. Of course this is only enhanced by the voice acting and the writing which as you say is top notch. The way Jim becomes involved felt completely like the way it could happen - it's not rushed, it's not hurried, the pace is slow and I loved what they did with it. The laid back approach really worked for me and I got really into it because of that. I also liked how they stayed kinda true to the other 2 games in terms of set up and it felt to me like it could naturally lead into the first two games/set up the world.

It's not perfect of course, I felt they repeated a few of the boss fights too much and there was the one part Nemesis was talking about which felt a bit awkward but overall I think it's a pretty damn decent game. I also just found a hidden weapon which I didn't see in any other part of the game!

It's a part of one of the memento side missions. I think it's the one in the security installation where you find it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone seeing the similarities with Dead Space? Particularly Dead Space 3?

In terms of building atmosphere I can see it yeah, maybe even a bit of design influence but not really in how it plays or at least 'feels' if that makes sense.

God damnit... this page.

Do I have to play this game?

Wait for a sale dude, I admittedly really like it but it could be one of those games I end up really liking that everyone hates :p By xmas time you should be able to get it dirt cheap if you're still interested by then.

antitrop

Wait for a sale dude, I admittedly really like it but it could be one of those games I end up really liking that everyone hates :p By xmas time you should be able to get it dirt cheap if you're still interested by then.
Ya, this shit's gonna bomb like crazy, I'll pick it up for $15 or whatever.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well holy shit, you CAN play your own music, on the PC version at least. After a certain point in the game your entire journal opens up (press select or Backspace). To the far right you will see the music icon and in here you can list your music and you can play whatever you want :) I just beat the shit out of an akrid whilst listening to some Crystal Castles.

Nemesis_

I'm really nervous that I'm about to step over a line of no return so I'm mopping up a lot of the side quests and achievements. Does anyone know what or where the "Ethologist's Shop" is?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really nervous that I'm about to step over a line of no return so I'm mopping up a lot of the side quests and achievements. Does anyone know what or where the "Ethologist's Shop" is?

Whilst I'm not sure of the name it could be

In the Camp Of The Forgotten. There's a few places there, one where you can buy weapons etc and another where you can trade DNA collected for upgrades ? Could be that, maybe

Nemesis_

Whilst I'm not sure of the name it could be

In the Camp Of The Forgotten. There's a few places there, one where you can buy weapons etc and another where you can trade DNA collected for upgrades ? Could be that, maybe

I've purchased all of the latter - that's tied to a separate achievement. Maybe the
camp version of the Quartermaster is considered the Ethologist?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've purchased all of the latter - that's tied to a separate achievement. Maybe the
camp version of the Quartermaster is considered the Ethologist?

It very well could be. I can only think of 4 shops in the entire game, shouldn't be hard to find.

I stand in awe of this game. It's like ]the developers said to themselves, "let's identify some gameplay mechanics that gamers really love and we'll throw them all together and make this super awesome game. It'll be like a love letter to our fans!"blah, blah, blah... trying to be so funny but not

For a second there I thought you were actually being positive.I wasted my time. Sadly that mentality could indeed be applied for alot of games.

Nemesis_

Does the boss with the weak point on it's underbelly take a long time to defeat? Or am I just doing things wrong?

This is probably the first game where you see me posting on GAF my stream of consciousness as I progress, lol.

Does the boss with the weak point on it's underbelly take a long time to defeat? Or am I just doing things wrong?

This is probably the first game where you see me posting on GAF my stream of consciousness as I progress, lol.

I'm not that far but I can't tell you how long I fought those creatures when your machine got iced over before figuring out I had to shoot the ice off. The whole time too I kept saying "There is no fucking way I can fight these things had to hand."

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

For that boss

use your rig to block his attack and then grab one of his arms and lift it up to reveal the spot. Jump out of your rig and then shoot the spot. He breaks loose and repeat the cycle. You can also throw grenades under him to flip him over

Leb

For a second there I thought you were actually being positive.I wasted my time. Sadly that mentality could indeed be applied for alot of games.

No, that was straight-up snark and I can't imagine how anyone could sincerely disagree on any point: wave after wave of bullet spongy enemies, terrible, tedious boss fights that just keep on coming, and insipid mech combat make this one of the most disappointing big name titles released this year.

Which is a shame, because I actually found the world building, atmosphere and story somewhat engaging, but the gameplay was so aggressively bad that I actually got angry while playing the game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly didn't find the enemies to be that bullet spongy. Once you get the better weapons or use the second type of ammo they especially become easy to take out. I used the shotgun a lot and along with the bounce shot it really brought the hurt onto enemies. Hell once you get a technique down the bosses are easy as piss to kill. The only boss I found a bit annoying was
The big monster with the 3 stages. 2 of the stages were generally pretty easy but the middle stage had really awkward camera angles

Also for example your complaint about enemies getting too close. Why are you letting them get too close ? Why aren't you rolling away to give yourself some distance ? The roll is one of the main defensive mechanics in the game, it gives you plenty of breathing space and lets you get around enemies without much damage.

As for the rig I loved the fact the rig had no guns and loved the combat in it in general. With how weighty and big the machines were I loved grabbing Akrids and either burning them with the torch or drilling them in the fuckin head. Hell I just loved trundling around in them big bastards listening to music. It may not be to your taste but it's hardly 'insipid'. Once you get used to the rig, buy more moves etc killing Akrids/bosses is easy as hell.

I apologise if that sounds like a go at you as it isn't, I just disagree with your points that's all.

Leb

I honestly didn't find the enemies to be that bullet spongy. Once you get the better weapons or use the second type of ammo they especially become easy to take out.

The problem is that every time they introduced a better weapon with higher per-shot damage, they also introduced a new enemy type that still required several magazines worth of ammo to put down. It's like, you get the Valkyrie which one-hits the topside trash, and you're like, 'Finally!' but then they introduce the spine thrower, which still requires many, many hits to kill.

Hell once you get a technique down the bosses are easy as piss to kill.

Oh, I agree, they weren't hard, but they were terribly tedious. All you really do is circle-strafe around the boss and hit dodge when the attack animation fires. Meanwhile, you literally have to dump the contents of every single AR magazine you're carrying into the glowing red spots.

Also for example your complaint about enemies getting too close. Why are you letting them get too close ? Why aren't you rolling away to give yourself some distance ? The roll is one of the main defensive mechanics in the game, it gives you plenty of breathing space and lets you get around enemies without much damage.

My problem here was that roll and cover are on the same button so in all the indoor combat arenas, half the time that I went to roll I'd instead get sucked into cover and then the enemy would close with me and trigger a tedious QTE minigame. This happened repeatedly as the number of enemies and the amount of damage they could soak almost always exceeded the volume of fire you were capable of putting out.

As for the rig I loved the fact the rig had no guns and loved the combat in it in general. With how weighty and big the machines were I loved grabbing Akrids and either burning them with the torch or drilling them in the fuckin head. Hell I just loved trundling around in them big bastards listening to music. It may not be to your taste but it's hardly 'insipid'. Once you get used to the rig, buy more moves etc killing Akrids/bosses is easy as hell.

I dunno, I guess it seemed like another interesting idea whose execution was rather lacking. There's no real sense of depth perception so it's difficult to gauge whether your attacks are going to hit something and you get swarmed by tons of highly mobile enemies which you just sort of ineffectually swat at when they come into range. Meanwhile, the boss fights end up being simple QTE minigames where you block, grab, and drill in that order until the enemy finally dies.

And it was actually after that second scorpion boss ecounter that I wrote my initial post because I replayed that section about 20 times before it finally bugged out after the third stage of the boss fight (and you have to repeat each stage every time you die as well as repeat any cutscenes the precede the boss fight).

Out of curiosity, are people playing this on normal or hard?

TentPole

I am playing on hard and disagree with every single one of your complaints with the exception of the lackluster boss fights.

Don't get me wrong the game has problems but for the most part they aren't the ones on your list.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that every time they introduced a better weapon with higher per-shot damage, they also introduced a new enemy type that still required several magazines worth of ammo to put down. It's like, you get the Valkyrie which one-hits the topside trash, and you're like, 'Finally!' but then they introduce the spine thrower, which still requires many, many hits to kill.

Oh, I agree, they weren't hard, but they were terribly tedious. All you really do is circle-strafe around the boss and hit dodge when the attack animation fires. Meanwhile, you literally have to dump the contents of every single AR magazine you're carrying into the glowing red spots.

My problem here was that roll and cover are on the same button so in all the indoor combat arenas, half the time that I went to roll I'd instead get sucked into cover and then the enemy would close with me and trigger a tedious QTE minigame. This happened repeatedly as the number of enemies and the amount of damage they could soak almost always exceeded the volume of fire you were capable of putting out.

I dunno, I guess it seemed like another interesting idea whose execution was rather lacking. There's no real sense of depth perception so it's difficult to gauge whether your attacks are going to hit something and you get swarmed by tons of highly mobile enemies which you just sort of ineffectually swat at when they come into range. Meanwhile, the boss fights end up being simple QTE minigames where you block, grab, and drill in that order until the enemy finally dies.

And it was actually after that second scorpion boss ecounter that I wrote my initial post because I replayed that section about 20 times before it finally bugged out after the third stage of the boss fight (and you have to repeat each stage every time you die as well as repeat any cutscenes the precede the boss fight).

Out of curiosity, are people playing this on normal or hard?

I was playing on Normal, I plan a second playthrough on Hard though. As for the spine throwers what weapon were you using out of curiosity on them ? I found that the shotgun with the bounce shot ammo took them out in one/two hits, on normal. I just loved the shotgun in general, it was a great weapon for close encounters. The bounce shot was quite powerful up close.

Fair enough if you found the fights tedious, I guess they just never really bothered me that much or at least made me at least feel they were too long. The only one I'd say I disliked to an extent was the
3 stage boss fight mentioned above
Overall though I quite enjoyed fighting the bosses tbh.

Actually now that you mention it, for the fight you had to retry. Was that the one mentioned where
you have the second stage where he bursts through the shutters etc ? It has you rolling to avoid his tail and shooting them small little bastards he shoots out in eggs
There were checkpoints in that for me, I never had to repeat the whole thing at least. If you were playing on Hard and they actually made the enemies a lot more bullet spongy then I could easily understand getting annoyed at that.

Nemesis_

Hmm, is there a list of the RIG Upgrades? I've got three left (I know one of them is the 100% armour upgrade) but I've still got two blank slots. And I am fairly certain that I'm about to complete the final mission and pass the point of no return (The mission is "Execute The Plan")

Also, anyone know where to farm 10,000 T-ENG? Lol.

BTHR Zero X

Hmm, is there a list of the RIG Upgrades? I've got three left (I know one of them is the 100% armour upgrade) but I've still got two blank slots. And I am fairly certain that I'm about to complete the final mission and pass the point of no return (The mission is "Execute The Plan")

Also, anyone know where to farm 10,000 T-ENG? Lol.

http://lostplanet.wikia.com/wiki/Utility_Rig#Rig_modifications_and_upgrades

I have been working on updating the wikia that is all upgrades, and best way to farm T-eng is just revisit areas and kill the larger Arkid that spawn from time to time.

The game is rough in a few spots, but Jims face is definitely one of it's plus points. I love how expressive he is, animation wise. The game has great lighting too.

lostplanetgame2013-0942sou.png

Nemesis_

Yeah, for an Unreal Engine game, it looks rather nice.

How long did it take you to beat the game, guys? I beat everything (found everything and such) and it took roughly twelve or thirteen hours.

BTHR Zero X

Yeah, for an Unreal Engine game, it looks rather nice.

How long did it take you to beat the game, guys? I beat everything (found everything and such) and it took roughly twelve or thirteen hours.

08:38:21 ingame time, honestly rather fast considering I was on normal. But I will be trying to do a 100% on hard once I am done with MP

U2NUMB

Just a couple hours into the campaign but I am really enjoying it. Really well done game in all respects so far. Sad that many will never get to play it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about it the more I'm really impressed with how good the writing/voice performances are in this. I wasn't really expecting much in that department tbh but thought it was pretty damn excellent, as in some of the best I've seen this year (apart from The Last Of Us which was fantastic in that department). I guess I just appreciate that they stuck to their guns and stuck by their 'vision' instead of trying to copy LP1 or LP2.

The more I think about it the more I'm really impressed with how good the writing/voice performances are in this. I wasn't really expecting much in that department tbh but thought it was pretty damn excellent, as in some of the best I've seen this year (apart from The Last Of Us which was fantastic in that department). I guess I just appreciate that they stuck to their guns and stuck by their 'vision' instead of trying to copy LP1 or LP2.

I'm surprised too, the story only has a couple of missteps and by the end I cared about most if not all of the characters especially Jim.

HOLY FLYING FUCK.

Based on this page that I'm reading right now.

This game is actually good?

Might have to check this out one day.

Leb

Well, for what it's worth, I finally gave in and restarted on Normal and my enjoyment has increased inestimably. I absolutely despise tedious bullet spongey enemies/boss fights and decreasing the difficulty back down to Normal seems to have eliminated much of the bullshit that was making me so incandescently angry.

Still really wish they'd given the RIG some decent weapons, though, maybe a la Dead Space where you repurpose ranged mining equipment into makeshift weapons.

HOLY FLYING FUCK.

Based on this page that I'm reading right now.

This game is actually good?

Might have to check this out one day.

It's mediocre, The story is actually pretty good but the gameplay is so tiring. The rig battles are a good change of pace but the on foot shooting feels like a serious sam game with all of the wackiness taken out of it.

Holy shit. Less than a week after launch, Lost Planet 3 is already half price at Play-Asia.

Not that surprising, nobody even knows it's out yet!

As far as I can tell the number of reviews is also very, very low. Metacritic has 9 of them for the PC version. Which is nothing.

oh what the hell: they do 'per platform' too? What insanity is that? The PS3 version has 13 reviews and scores 60 instead of 59 (PC) and 57 (Xbox360) respectively as a "result".

The user reviews dip below that on all systems though.

Top Bottom