• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low saturated fat diets don't curb heart disease risk or help you live longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140305191429.htm

Diets low in saturated fat don't curb heart disease risk or help you live longer, says a leading US cardiovascular research scientist and doctor of pharmacy in an editorial in the open access journal Open Heart.
And current dietary advice to replace saturated fats with carbohydrates or omega 6-rich polyunsaturated fats is based on flawed and incomplete data from the 1950s, argues Dr James DiNicolantonio.
Dietary guidelines should be urgently reviewed and the vilification of saturated fats stopped to save lives, he insists.
DiNicolantonio points out that the demonization of saturated fats dates back to 1952, when research suggested a link between high dietary saturated fat intake and deaths from heart disease.
But the study author drew his conclusions on data from six countries, choosing to ignore the data from a further 16, which didn't fit with his hypothesis, and which subsequent analysis of all 22 countries' data, disproved, says DiNicolantonio.
Nevertheless, the bad boy image stuck, particularly after US President Eisenhower had a heart attack in his 50s, points out DiNicolantonio in an accompanying podcast.
And it prompted the belief that since these fats increase total cholesterol -- a flawed theory in itself, says DiNicolantonio -- they must also increase heart disease risk. And as foodstuffs with the highest calorie density, the thinking was that reduced intake would naturally curb obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
But the evidence, which continues to mount, suggests otherwise, he says.
There is now a strong argument in favour of the consumption of refined carbohydrates as the causative dietary factor behind the surge in obesity and diabetes in the US, he says.
And while a low fat diet may lower 'bad' (LDL) cholesterol, there are two types of LDL cholesterol. And switching to carbs may increase pattern B (small dense) LDL, which is more harmful to heart health than pattern A (large buoyant) LDL, as well as creating a more unfavourable overall lipid profile, he says.
Furthermore, several other studies indicate that a low carb diet is better for weight loss and lipid profile than a low fat diet, while large observational studies have not found any conclusive proof that a low fat diet cuts cardiovascular disease risk, he says.
But in the race to cut saturated fat intake, several dietary guidelines recommend upping polyunsaturated fat intake.
However, a recent analysis of published trial data shows that replacing saturated fats and trans fatty acids with omega 6 fatty acids, without a corresponding rise in omega 3 fatty acids, seems to increase the risk of death from coronary heart and cardiovascular diseases.
"We need a public health campaign as strong as the one we had in the 70s and 80s demonising saturated fats, to say that we got it wrong," urges DiNicolantonio in the podcast.
The best diet to boost and maintain heart health is one low in refined carbohydrates, sugars and processed foods, he recommends.
And anyone who has had a heart attack should not be thinking of replacing saturated fats with refined carbs or omega 6 fatty acids -- particularly those found in processed vegetable oils containing large amounts of corn or safflower oil, he says.

Original article: http://openheart.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000032.full.pdf+html

Seems to support the arguments made in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Courage

mIcNT3b.png

Let the price of butter increase.

dralla

This is well documented. Just one of the myths that people can't seem to shake. Saturated fat is great for you, for satiety, energy, cell repair, and plenty more.

Nikodemos

I thought people already knew this? Omega-6 fatty acids are inflammatory and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) are prone to rancidity (which damages your cells).

Drakeon

I assume this is what most dietary scientists look like:

I%20have%20no%20idea.jpg

Can't wait with what they come up next.

Pretty much. Every day you hear a report or study coming out declaring something to be incredibly unhealthy or surprisingly healthy.

legbone

I assume this is what most dietary scientists look like:

I%20have%20no%20idea.jpg

Can't wait with what they come up next.

yeah, no shit. i have been going on and off of eggs for years thanks to them. i finally said fuck it, i'm going to eat some eggs.

i will say this though, and this is purely anecdotal, i did lower my cholesterol by 100 points and avoided statins by cutting most animal products from my diet. i was allowed 6 ounces of meat a week. luckily i could pretty much eat all the fish i wanted. switched to silk (still haven't grown boobs), and started using egg beaters. my doctor was amazed when i came back over the next year and my numbers dropped. she asked what i was doing and i told her. she said "well, that makes sense".

Pedrito

Eat a bit of everything in moderation, exercise, ignore all these studies that always end up contradicting each other.

Seems like the best solution at this point.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And current dietary advice to replace saturated fats with carbohydrates or omega 6-rich polyunsaturated fats is based on flawed and incomplete data from the 1950s, argues Dr James DiNicolantonio.

When has anybody ever recommended to replace saturated fats with carbs and omega-6s? People made that swap, but that doesn't mean that such a swap was recommended.

Yes, we know that swapping saturated fats with carbs and high level of omega-6s is bad for you. I still haven't seen any evidence that Saturated fat itself is good for you.

I thought people already knew this? Omega-6 fatty acids are inflammatory and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) are prone to rancidity (which damages your cells).

Omega-6 fatty acids are a type of PUFA. And Omega-3 PUFA's are most definitely good for you and are associated with low risk of heart disease.

so what we're saying is that to achieve optimum lifespan I need to eat a lot of fat and stay away from low carb diets.

ice cream breakfast for everyone!

Robot Pants

Can someone figure out this health thing so we can all move on with our lives? No one seems to fucking know and they are changing it every month.

TCRS

Banned
It's a shame that many people still believe that margarine is healthier for you than butter.

I know it's not, but it is definitely more convenient. fuck trying to spread cold butter on bread. and it takes ages for it to reach room temperature, therefore margarine > butter.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I'm not saying this dude is wrong. But this isn't serious research. It's an editorial in an open-access journal. This guy is the editor of the journal he published this opinion piece in. He also happens to work at wegmans as a pharmacist. "Leading" scientist? Seems legit.

TheMan

yeah, no shit. i have been going on and off of eggs for years thanks to them. i finally said fuck it, i'm going to eat some eggs.

i will say this though, and this is purely anecdotal, i did lower my cholesterol by 100 points and avoided statins by cutting most animal products from my diet. i was allowed 6 ounces of meat a week. luckily i could pretty much eat all the fish i wanted. switched to silk (still haven't grown boobs), and started using egg beaters. my doctor was amazed when i came back over the next year and my numbers dropped. she asked what i was doing and i told her. she said "well, that makes sense".

i'm curious...when your cholesterol was initially high, what dietary recommendations did she make for you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see that this is being embraced more and more. The damage done from the completely mistaken dietary advice from the late 70s through the 90s and well into the 2000s continues to be enormous.

so what we're saying is that to achieve optimum lifespan I need to eat a lot of fat and stay away from low carb diets.

ice cream breakfast for everyone!

Right now if you want to achieve an optimum lifespan your best bet is calorie restriction/CR with optimum nutrition, and CRONies never eat ice cream because it goes against the maxim of eating nutritionally dense/calorically sparse foods :(

I know it's not, but it is definitely more convenient. fuck trying to spread cold butter on bread. and it takes ages for it to reach room temperature, therefore margarine > butter.

While I don't eat bread, I do use butter daily. It's always left out on the counter so it's easy to use.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Right now if you want to achieve an optimum lifespan your best bet is calorie restriction/CR with optimum nutrition, and CRONies never eat ice cream because it goes against the maxim of eating nutritionally dense/calorically sparse foods :(

What are some examples of foods like that? I'll give 'em a shot. I don't eat carbs though (juvenile diabetes; cutting out carbs is amazing for blood-sugar control).

IceCold

Keep a small piece on your counter like this:

c6lvarY.jpg

It will take 10 days or so before it goes rancid.

Korosenai

Eat a bit of everything in moderation, exercise, ignore all these studies that always end up contradicting each other.

Seems like the best solution at this point.
This is what I do. Im losing weight, gaining msucle, and eating whatever i want. Its great.

What are some examples of foods like that? I'll give 'em a shot. I don't eat carbs though (juvenile diabetes; cutting out carbs is amazing for blood-sugar control).

Michael Rae usually offers the best resources/research on CR in my opinion. He's a gerontologist in the SENS Research Foundation and has a pretty academic or informed approach. CR can be a pretty significant lifestyle change, though.

It's a shame that many people still believe that margarine is healthier for you than butter.

You relalize margarine is just the vegetable derived equivalent of butter right? Both contain roughly the same majority in fatty acids (stearic, oleic, palmitoleic) with the animal variety containing some mammalian exclusive varieties such as delta six fatty acids and branched chain fatty acids. Margarine also does not contain any cholesterol or cholesteryl esters, it's mainly composed of sitosterol when comparing sterol profiles.

I don't think one is worse for you than the other tbh, assuming the margarine was created by interesterification and not partial hydrogenation.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Michael Rae usually offers the best resources/research on CR in my opinion. He's a gerontologist in the SENS Research Foundation and has a pretty academic or informed approach. CR can be a pretty significant lifestyle change, though.

Oh sorry, I just mean what kinds of foods do those guys like to eat? As far as diet I've been low-carb for like eight years so likely never going to change that. :)

Oh sorry, I just mean what kinds of foods do those guys like to eat? As far as diet I've been low-carb for like eight years so likely never going to change that. :)

There are some recipes listed in the link I posted. Diet varies quite a bit from person to person, typically things like salad, cruciferous vegetables, and mushrooms factor in a bit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There are some recipes listed in the link I posted. Diet varies quite a bit from person to person, typically things like salad, cruciferous vegetables, and mushrooms factor in a bit.

Cool, actually I eat all of that as well. Doesn't surprise me that there's some alignment -- that stuff is great.

aceface

So my dad just had a heart attack (got him the the hospital quick so he's fine, had to put a stent in his artery though).

My grandfather died of a heart attack.

wtf should I eat?

legbone

i'm curious...when your cholesterol was initially high, what dietary recommendations did she make for you?

she jumped to statins. i asked for a chance to lower it by diet. she recommended the tlc diet after that. it's the therapeutic (sp?) lifestyle changes diet. i basically modified it to remove even more animal products. she also recommended exercise and to quit smoking. i cut back on the smoking but i admit i didn't exercise like i should. i lowered my overall cholesterol by about 90 points in 10 months. as an added side benefit i lost about 25 pounds. right now i'm having trouble sticking to it because of some depression/anxiety/burnout at work problems but that's on me. i'm afraid it may have creeped up some but still probably not as bad as it was. i'll know in two months at my next appointment.

tldr: the therapeutic lifestyle changes diet (TLC)

SRG01

That's because protein and fat intake directly contribute to your overall cholesterol level. Overconsumption of anything is definitely a bad thing.

Exercise is also another good way to convert your bad LDLs.

TCRS

Banned
So my dad just had a heart attack (got him the the hospital quick so he's fine, had to put a stent in his artery though).

My grandfather died of a heart attack.

wtf should I eat?

just keep drinking your own piss. hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom