• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: Nintendo Switch to support Micro SD cards up to 128GB.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-nintendo-switch-to-support-micro-sd-up-to-128gb/

Hey all, we got more Nintendo Switch information for you today.
According to our source at Nintendo, the Nintendo Switch will support memory expansion via Micro SD card much like the New Nintendo 3DS did before it.

Where the New 3DS supported Micro SD up to 2GB and Micro SDHC up to 32GB, the Nintendo Switch development hardware supports Micro SDXC cards up to 128 GB in size. It is currently unclear if this upper limit will be reduced on the retail model, but the development model of the Switch does support running software directly off the Micro SD card as you would off the internal memory or a game cart.

In addition, a source close to the production of the Switch reveal trailer has informed us that the Micro SD slot on the Switch can be located underneath the handheld’s kickstand on the model shown in the reveal trailer.

So, would the ability to slot up to 128GB of additional memory into the Switch on a non proprietary card make the system more appealing? Let us known down in the comments.

Personally, I think the location of the SD card slot under the kickstand to be brilliant.

Note: Also, there's big chances that it will support larger cards as well, but Nintendo likes to be conservative with its recommendations.

LewieP

I would hope that it supports cards larger than that, especially given that in the device's lifetime, larger cards will become commonplace.

Hopefully whoever is providing this information just hasn't tried any larger cards so can't confirm compatibility with them.

z0m3le

Banned
You can use any size micro SD card if formatted correctly, though I'm not entirely sure that all brands are compatible with n3DSXL, I'm personally using a 64GB card in it now, but I plan to pick up a 256GB microSD for Switch once 1TB cards are available sometime next year.

Good 128gb Micro SD's are about £35, really great for a portable system.
What advantage is that?

Highly accessible memory expansion that any consumer can understand, it's also pretty cheap.
To be fair though we can't really compare HDD so SD cards, these are pretty different systems.

Jackano

I hope that will be upped to 256GB with the day one patch because this is supposed to replace an external HDD. 128GB sounds a bit short nowadays.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
More and more good news coming out. Although its nothing compared to HDD capacity, without the need to install games, that kind of space is uneccesary

Hopefully it's up to 2tb really. Got a 64gb in the 3ds right now. Wonderful sense of comfort knowing that I'll never fill that up, ever lol.

z0m3le

Banned
Max micro SD card size =/= cartridge size

Right, the cartridge can be up to 1TB if the price is right (it won't be lol) the one advantage that flash media does give them though is no mandatory installs though. Unlike bluray discs that are typically read around 22MB/s, flash cards can be read at 100s of MB/s though, iirc it really only needs to hit ~50MB/s to drastically reduce load times and remove mandatory installs

We don't know whether the retail model will allow you to launch games right off the card. If you can't do that, then this is a lukewarm good news at best.

-shadow-

128GB seems a bit Small when compared to the size of some games these days, but we'll see if it will support larger like the (N)3DS officially does.

NotLiquid

Cheap expandable storage is great but the concern is still whether or not digital only is even a viable thing for the Switch when games nowadays are so large that they put visible dents on the consoles that have around 500GB of default storage.

sfried

I hope they decide to go with a different type of file format instead of the old FAT32.

That way we won't need to preformat 256GB or more SDXC cards with a special SDCard formatter for them to be used on the Switch.
That's not good news, 128 GBs is nothing.

But I'm pretty sure there will be a workaround for it.
Most likey it will accept higher capacities if they're going by SDXC standards. But I'm wondering what file format will they be using. Isn't exFAT owned by Microsoft?

Not forcing us to download a 30 GB day one patch because it didn't fit on a Bluray?

Those patches are because the games are still being worked on up to the day they are released and not because of size restrictions.

And to say nothing of the fact that as far as I can tell this has nothing to do with game carts

Zedark

Right, the cartridge can be up to 1TB if the price is right (it won't be lol) the one advantage that flash media does give them though is no mandatory installs though. Unlike bluray discs that are typically read around 22MB/s, flash cards can be read at 100s of MB/s though, iirc it really only needs to hit ~50MB/s to drastically reduce load times and remove mandatory installs

So, would I need my sd card to have a read speed of 50 MB/s to run games properly or just to reduce load times? I just looked at my locale retailer's offerings and they sell 128 gb for €50, but they have read speed below 50 MB/s. Higher read speeds seem to cost quite a bit more.

Luigiv

I hope they decide to go with a different type of file format instead of the old FAT32.

That way we won't need to preformat 256GB or more SDXC cards with a special SDCard formatter for them to be used on the Switch.

They would have to support exFAT in order to officially support SDXC (it's part of the spec), so I wouldn't worry about it.

cheesekao

Even without installs, patches and DLC will be the space killer if this gen is anything to go by. Digital heavy/only people may also face problems.

Top Bottom