• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: Nintendo Switch to support Micro SD cards up to 128GB.

Dryk

I think the real difficult thing with the Switch will be the long wait when you fill up your icebox with the contents of your refrigerator before going on a picnic.

sfried

They would have to support exFAT in order to officially support SDXC (it's part of the spec), so I wouldn't worry about it.
But isn't exFAT owned by Microsoft? Unless they're using the same file system they used on the WiiU for ext hard drives (which did up to 2TB).
The 3ds did
The Wii even did this after getting all of the "cleaning the freezer" complaints. The 3DS and Wii U do them natively.

It's going to be interesting to see how game patching is handled on this thing. The ridiculous 10GB+ patches we have been getting these last few years are not going to cut it.

I hope Nintendo puts a limit on size and forces devs to deliver their content in a more optimal manner.

Are we expecting Switch games to be as large as their Xbox One/PS4 counterparts? If we look at games like Wolfenstein The New Order they managed to pull off 17gb on PS3 whereas the PS4 version is around 50gb. I think a lot of it is uncompressed audio and as we've seen in the past Nintendo are the kings of optimisation. Mario 3D World is 1.6gb, Mario Kart 8 is 4.83gb and Xenoblade X is their largest game at 22gb. I don't think we have much to worry about in the way of first party games and I'm sure third parties will manage to squeeze their games down without compromise.

Genio88

I gave that for granted, even 3DS has that, and with just 32GB of storage it was obvious Switch supported SD....i really hope though that up to 128GB isn't right, there are already 250GB sd cards on the market, and their price keep on dropping, so i hope it'll support more than 128GB

To put that into context. That's enough space for both Batman: Arkham Knight and Wolfenstein but if I wanted to put Black Ops III on it too then I wouldn't have enough space.

128 is nothing.

Zedark

It's going to be interesting to see how game patching is handled on this thing. The ridiculous 10GB+ patches we have been getting these last few years are not going to cut it.

I hope Nintendo puts a limit on size and forces devs to deliver their content in a more optimal manner.

Or perhaps they could write onto the cartridges themselves, as some have been speculating in the nvidia chip thread. That would be a great solution if it works imo.

ggx2ac

When I suggested before that the Switch used a Micro SD card like the New 3DS because I couldn't find an SD Card Slot, someone else suggested it was under the kickstand.

Funny enough...

CvxU3dSVIAYMVtK.jpg

It looks like it's at the bottom portion otherwise it would be difficult to insert.

Kthulhu

That's not good news, 128 GBs is nothing.

But I'm pretty sure there will be a workaround for it.

Considering that Nintendo doesn't do forced installs like Sony and MS, I'm sure it'll be fine unless you're going full digital.

Plus that's probably a conservative estimate. In actuality, it'll probably be larger.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So that's like, 4-5 AAA games?

Let's hope the Switch can keep game sizes low even though the sizes are ballooning on virtually every platform. Lots of PS4 games already reach 30-50 gigs.

Bluth54

Now the question is how big are the games gonna be?

If they are 30G-50G each then full digital is gonna be tough.

Lots of third party games on Xbox One and PS4 are 40-60 GB each. I expect Nintendo games to be smaller then that though since a lot of Nintendo published Wii U games didn't have huge file sizes.

King Al B

Expandable memory is always a good Idea, hopefully it will support larger cards for the all digital people. All this talk of 1tb+ micro SD cards just boggles my mind, how do they fit so much data in such a tiny place!

The dock has USB ports right? Maybe it can transfer some of the games from hard drive connected to the dock to the system when you want to take it with you.

Enthus

Any chance the dock would allow for external drives like the Wii U? Does it even have USB ports, or are my GameCube controller adapters relics now?

Steejee

Hrm..but can't run games off the SD...definitely feels like a 'need more info' situation.

Hopefully that's just a limitation of the dev kit rather than a planned restriction.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Are we expecting Switch games to be as large as their Xbox One/PS4 counterparts? If we look at games like Wolfenstein The New Order they managed to pull off 17gb on PS3 whereas the PS4 version is around 50gb. I think a lot of it is uncompressed audio and as we've seen in the past Nintendo are the kings of optimisation. Mario 3D World is 1.6gb, Mario Kart 8 is 4.83gb and Xenoblade X is their largest game at 22gb. I don't think we have much to worry about in the way of first party games and I'm sure third parties will manage to squeeze their games down without compromise.

The fact that third parties even need to squeeze their games down and cut corners just to save space is already a compromise when the PS4/XB1/PC grant them freedom to do whatever they like.

Anyone else finding it a little suspicious how LPVG has new stuff on Switch every other day now, openly admits her source is from Nintendo and yet the Big N haven't shut it down/fired someone's ass yet?

The rumour itself? I should damn well hope so.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Bigger cards will most likely be supported. And I think the idea is not to store all your games on it. Once you're pretty much done with a game you'll move it to the USD HDD.

Edit: well, this theory was short lived. :(

To put that into context. That's enough space for both Batman: Arkham Knight and Wolfenstein but if I wanted to put Black Ops III on it too then I wouldn't have enough space.

128 is nothing.

Its removable and exchangable storage, and this is just a rumour not any official confirmation.

M3d10n

You can use any size micro SD card if formatted correctly, though I'm not entirely sure that all brands are compatible with n3DSXL, I'm personally using a 64GB card in it now, but I plan to pick up a 256GB microSD for Switch once 1TB cards are available sometime next year.
Yes, but official support for SDXC means the Switch will support the ExFAT file system so cards will work out-of-the-box.

The fact that third parties even need to squeeze their games down and cut corners just to save space is already a compromise when the PS4/XB1/PC grant them freedom to do whatever they like.
The Switch will not run 1:1 PS4/XB1 ports. Even if it had 1TB of internal memory and 128gb carts, it's impossible the internal specs can match the consoles on such small form factor.

Luigiv

But isn't exFAT owned by Microsoft? Unless they're using the same file system they used on the WiiU for ext hard drives (which did up to 2TB).

It is but it's also cross platform. Anyone can licence it (I'd imagine it's included with the SDXC licence though don't quote me on that).

Dryk

As someone who primarily plays games on PC I wish they'd stop. Just because they can fill 50Gb doesn't mean they should and just because I have a big hard-drive doesn't mean I want it filled

I probably use around that much on the Wii U and I bought a lot of crap I never even played. That won't happen this time with the Switch so I think that will be enough for me.

I hope/expect the dock will support USB Hard Drives to store the bulk of your games and the SD Card is only for games you want to play on the go in handheld mode.

openrob

You can probably go bigger, as I have bigger than the "supported" card size in my n3DS right now.

Yeah it's probably 'recommended' rather than unsupported. A bit like them stating that you can't use memory stick as a hard drive on Wii U

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Please don't be serious.

yes they have. Oh your HDD is full of 1day patches, some games you downloaded?

Sony: Oh you need to delete somethings and download them again...

Nintendo : Oh don´t worry just buy another SD card and here you go.

You deleted Game XY, now you want to play it again, but you need to download 20gb for the game, 5-10 gb (dunno don´t play on console anymore) one day patch. So wait 3-4 hours until you can play it, with a sd card you can just get a new or change it. 32gb sd cards, are availabe for 12€

Genio88

Why are they going microSD instead of normal size SD? It's not like they wouldn't fit in a tablet.

There are plenty of good reasons actually, like to save space in order to put other components in there and leaving more room to exhaust warm air, also micro sd are more used and easier to find and produce, they already made that mistake with original 3DS, and then fixed it in the New 3DS going with micro sd, of course they won't come back with Switch

Zafir

Only 128GB?

I hope they add support for higher.

That said I know the 3DS actually supports higher than they officially recommend, so maybe that'll be the case here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Are there even MicroSD cards above 128/200GB right now? The bigger card manufacturers don't even carry any. Regular SD cards would have been a way better option.

As someone who primarily plays games on PC I wish they'd stop. Just because they can fill 50Gb doesn't mean they should.

Same here, but there's no reversing it. HD graphics and audio simply takes a fuckton of space.

NeoRausch

I still wonder how a external drive is supposed to work.
This is the first home console where an external doesn't make a lot of sense.

I jolly well hope that won't be the upper limit, because you'd fill up 128GB in a second. Buy a couple of third party games digitally on launch day and it's all over.

NoKisum

I wish we'd get a hard confirmation on this. I'd wanted to pick up a SD card just for the system during Black Friday (usually the cheapest time all year). But no solid info until January makes this frustrating.

sfried

Same here, but there's no reversing it. HD graphics and audio simply takes a fuckton of space.
I'd argue "Not really."

Seeing the files sizes of my games of Elite: Dangerous and The Evil Within on PC, roughly translate around the ballpark of around 7-17GB of actual HDD space used. Some others, like Shadow of Mordor take around 50GB, and most of those are because they rely on prerendered cutscenes for some of the events (its noticable too since the game will suddenly become 30fps for no reason...until you realize they're just playing an FMV sequence using actual in-game assets).

tl;dr - That fuckton of space is mostly just FMV. MGR:Revengance is also unnecessarily huge because of FMVs.

Luckily Nintendo has its own in-house highly efficient FMV format courtesy of NERD a.k.a. formerly known as mobiClip/ActImagine.

M3d10n

I still wonder how a external drive is supposed to work.
This is the first home console where an external doesn't make a lot of sense.
Plugged to the dock as removable storage. When you dock the Switch, the games in the drive become playable.

Synth

yes they have. Oh your HDD is full of 1day patches, some games you downloaded?

Sony: Oh you need to delete somethings and download them again...

Nintendo : Oh don´t worry just buy another SD card and here you go.

You deleted Game XY, now you want to play it again, but you need to download 20gb for the game, 5-10 gb (dunno don´t play on console anymore) one day patch. So wait 3-4 hours until you can play it, with a sd card you can just get a new or change it. 32gb sd cards, are availabe for 12€

I bought my 4tb HDD for £60. In both consoles, I had around 360gb to start with.

Top Bottom