• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 1UP Yours (Damn, what a great show..)

Andrew.

Banned
So I've been killing time at work listening to the This Year collection of what's essentially the "best of" 1up Yours episodes from 2006-2008. I know I'm super late to the party, but seven years ago I just wasn't into podcasts at all. Now, I see what all the fuss was about. I get it.

While it's kinda hard to tell the guys apart aside from John and Luke and the occasional Shawn Elliott guest spot, I really, really enjoyed and have been enjoying what these guys had to say. It was fucking awesome to finally hear that Denis Dyack segment after he got booted off of The GAF. Also really awesome was the interview with the dude who was behind the bomb that was the Shadowrun remake. There were some moments there that got some serious heat behind them and it made it all the more worth it to hear what everyone had to say. I couldn't tell whether it was Shane or Garnett, but someone there had some real balls to go all out on the questions in terms of "keeping it real" and challenging the guy on some of his design decisions, Shawn included.

While I am really sorry that I missed out on the entirety of this show, Im so grateful to have the This Year site so I can catch up on so much that I missed. Between this and The Brodeo, I can really see why these two podcasts were and are still considered the best gaming podcasts ever conceived.

My only questions that I have now is, is there anything that can match this goodness besides the Bombcast? (Which I love, but personally dont find it as entertaining). And also, what are of these guys up to now? Is Luke still at Bungie? I know Garnett or Shane went off to Ignition but are they still employed there? Seven years is a bit of time and Im curious if these guys are still in the development side of things.

Man, what I would give to hear all these guys together again to discuss the industry today...

This podcast was so based.

Man, what I would give to hear all these guys together again to discuss the industry today...
As evidenced by his twitter, Luke's been reigned in a lot and toes the company line nowadays. It's a shame since he used to be so outspoken and pro-consumer.

Sony doesn't often let Shane on other podcasts, which sucks. He was always very passionate and had a lot of insight into older games.

I'd love a reunion, but it wouldn't be the same.

JeffGrubb

DAMN RIGHT!

I actually think that 1UP Yours is what eventually convinced me to pursue this job. I wanted to be one of those guys.

Ravager61

Also really awesome was the interview with the dude who was behind the bomb that was the Shadowrun remake. There were some moments there that got some serious heat behind them and it made it all the more worth it to hear what everyone had to say. I couldn't tell whether it was Shane or Garnett, but someone there had some real balls to go all out on the questions in terms of "keeping it real" and challenging the guy on some of his design decisions, Shawn included.

Garnett was a real dick during that segment for no reason. But yeah, amazing show overall. I looked forward to it every week. Shane was always my favorite.

Oxirane

A reunion show that gets them to talk about on the comments/predictions they made at the start of last gen would be pretty interesting.

JeffGrubb

And also, what are of these guys up to now? Is Luke still at Bungie? I know Garnett or Shane went off to Ignition but are they still employed there? Seven years is a bit of time and Im curious if these guys are still in the development side of things.

Luke is still at Bungie. Shane went off to Ignition, but he works for Sony now (SURPRISE!). Garnett went to work for GameFly's publishing shit, and now he is on his own. You can listen to him and John talk about games each week on the "Garnett on Games" podcast. John is an executive at developer Red Robot Labs which has a mobile game, but he is running their gaming-community app First for Gamers, which you should all download:

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrobotlabs.first&hl=en
App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/first-for-gamers/id646815136?mt=8

Luke - Bungie
Shane - back at mother base sony.
Garnett - continues to podcast. Alone and with John.
John - no idea, but whatever he's doing i hope he does it with a monocle.
Shawn - still unemployed i believe.
Marc - at 8-4 Japan playing monster hunter.

Andrew.

Banned
Thanks dudes. Definitelty gonna check out Garnett on Games.

Oh and Lord-Audie, Shawn is at Arkane Studios (Dishonored dev)

Am I the only one who kinda thought the show got better after Luke's departure? Probably an unpopular opinion because Luke was so popular. I just think Luke often fell into the trap of trying to get himself over, sometimes at the expense of the show, or at least a segment or two. I did like the interplay between him and Shane as it was good to have both playing their roles well during the system war.

XSeed? He left them ages ago for Sony.

Shane worked with Ignition Entertainment (Muramasa Wii, Deadly Premonition, El Shaddai and announced Dragon's Crown before ATLUS rescued that) for a while until I think they imploded? Either right before or after, then he moved to Sony.

I like the Bombcast, but it really isn't a video game show, per se. That is, the best parts of the Bombcast aren't really about video games.

This is pretty true. When I think of the Bombcast, it's Drew talking about eating Gasoline Clams, Ryan NARCing out somebody at that Hyatt Regency, Scoops on that Zombie Run and his brother vomiting on the street or that time he got his group kicked out of a bar, Vinny talking about being a dad, Jeff's simple sandwich skills and Chris with that white car...

I like the Bombcast, but it really isn't a video game show, per se. That is, the best parts of the Bombcast aren't really about video games.

Those were the first podcasts I ever listened to. I remember back in the day I used to sleep on a cramped couch just so I could listen to them from my living room computer

Raw64life

1Up Yours and 4 Guys 1Up are the only podcasts I ever regularly listened to. I've tried tons of others, none ever kept my interest like the 1Up podcasts did.

Pattrikx

Neo Member
I was late to the 1UP podcast party, but I really enjoyed listening to all of the ones they had out when I started listening, like @1UP, Oddcast, Games, Dammit! (and whatever preceded that), and many more. Really miss 1UP. Giant Bomb sort of fills that void, but not entirely.

E92 M3

Such a lovely podcast. There are many great ones, but none can truly touch 1UP Yours. Those 2 or so hours flew by; and I always wished for another hour. I listen to Garnet and John show now, but it's not the same. Great podcast, but not the same :(

I never listened to it back in the day, but have listened to every episode since. Great chemistry. I especially loved Shane getting all that shit about PS3 from Luke (?). Those arguments were so good.

ryushe

This was not only the first podcast I listened to, but also the best.

Others have come close (Giant bombcast, 8-4, etc.) but none are even in the same league as the GOAT.

Rodhull

Luke is still at Bungie. Shane went off to Ignition, but he works for Sony now (SURPRISE!). Garnett went to work for GameFly's publishing shit, and now he is on his own. You can listen to him and John talk about games each week on the "Garnett on Games" podcast. John is an executive at developer Red Robot Labs which has a mobile game, but he is running their gaming-community app First for Gamers, which you should all download:

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrobotlabs.first&hl=en
App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/first-for-gamers/id646815136?mt=8

Actually I think Garnett on Games is just Garnett on his own. I think their other podcast is called John & Garnett: first for gamers or something along those lines. John also said in a recent show that he no longer worked at Red Robot so both he and Garnett are looking for their next position.

ryushe

You know what, I feel like giving this another whirl. Anyway to listen to it via a podcast player (preferably with the BeyondPod app) or am I stuck to MP3?

noobasuar

Banned
Luke and Shane going at each other's throats every episode was the best.

God those were the days. I need to look up the podcast after Sony's E3 2006 real quick to feel Shane's tears and Lukes immense happiness.

Top Bottom