• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP AC Odyssey. Ok Ubisoft, this is pretty good (large pictures Warning)

Fbh

Somewhere around 2 years ago I decided I was pretty much done with big AAA Ubisoft games. I had given several of them a chance and found myself quickly bored by all of them due to their boring and "designed by committee" style. Of course some of that can be applied to most AAA games but Ubisoft games in particular to me just seemed liked they came out of a factory,
This also made me skip AC:O because while I heard it made some improvements to the formula, just knowing it was made by Ubisoft meant I wasn't even going to try it unless I could find it for $10 or less.
Well before Origins ever got to that price I got AC:O as a present and you know, gifted horses and teeth and all of that, I decided to give it a try.
I finished the main story last night and I have to say.... that was pretty good. It's definitely not without issues and some of the usual Ubisoft shit is still there (bloat, bad storytelling and more recently bullet sponges) but it felt like a MASSIVE improvement compared to the last game in the series that I played (syndicate) on almost every level and it has left me cautiously optimist about future entries.

HjjbITE.jpg

I love how they took inspiration from stuff like the Witcher 3 for the sidequests. One thing that always ended up boring me in Ubisoft games was their "activity" based side content so changing that to actual quests with their own unique characters and stories was a big step up. Not all of them are great (or even good) but there's definitely decent variety and some of my favorite moments in the game (both gameplay and story wise) actually came from them. There's this one about the "battle of a hundred hands" which I honestly liked better than anything in the main quest.
Combat and stealth were also more fun than usual. No longer relying on the "wait an counter" system of previous games and instead just feeling like a straight up action RPG with a decent selection of skills and even enough room to somewhat create your own build and fight style. Stealth is still far from being as good as an actual stealth game but at least I felt more in control than in previous games (like being able to crouch and hide wherever I want instead of specific locations)

Story is definitely still and issue though, and I think now that they have shifted the franchise to be more of a full blown RPG their lacking writing is all the more noticeable. The main story is not very interesting and neither are the characters. At no point did I feel like I really wanted to move forward with the plot to see what happens and the directing on the cutscenes is still as weird as ever. Moments that are supposed to be surprising or shocking just have no weight behind them. Also at this point being an AC game and having to stick to some franchise conventions is turning into more of a hindrance as what they can do with the story is held back by having to include elements of the larger franchise narrative.
And as a side note, while I played as Kassandra (just liked her voice acting A LOT better) and I have no issue with history being altered a bit to accommodate for her being a woman. I would have liked to at least have people bring it up or mention it from time to time instead of everyone acting like it's completely normal.

And finally, I think the one thing really hurting the gameplay is how everything scales with you. Now that it's presenting itself as an RPG I would have liked to get the same sense of progression that you get in most RPG's but it just simply isn't there. Like, at the beginning of the game your hits might do 30 damage and killing a regular soldier takes 10 hits, fast forward 40 hours and I'm 30 levels higher with much better gear to the point that my attack damage has gone from 30 per hit to 1500 per hit.... but because everything scales with me it still takes 10 hits to kill a regular soldier. It makes combat start feeling monotonous and even though skills help a bit, fights 2 hours in don't feel particularly different from the ones 40 hours in.

Still, as I said, I did enjoy my time with it. I now see potential for the future of the franchise and if Ubisoft finally gets some good writers and maybe rethinks some of the mechanics to fit better with this new RPG style I can actually see AC becoming great.

PS: Also PLEASE can we get location accurate voice overs? Maybe it's just the american version but they have like 4 language options...but no greek. I fucking hate this "we all speak english but with an accent" thing

Last edited:

Banned
I gave this series a shot with...Unity, I think? It was OK, I guess, but I lost interest partway through and never came back. I'm not at all interested in the "Present-Day" storylines that these games have running through them. I'd like to try out the newer RPG-type games their making now. Someday...

Fbh

I gave this series a shot with...Unity, I think? It was OK, I guess, but I lost interest partway through and never came back. I'm not at all interested in the "Present-Day" storylines that these games have running through them. I'd like to try out the newer RPG-type games their making now. Someday...

You should definitely check out the newer games at some point. It's a completely different type of game than Unity
And at least with Odyssey they keep the modern day stuff to a minimum and it's easy to rush through it

Thiagosc777

It is trash. I couldn't bring myself to finish it and I am not playing any other Ubisoft game (just skipped the new Farcry game):

- grindy gameplay that level gates missions;
- it means optional missions aren't optional. You need to complete them in order to level up and be able to continue the main missions;
- it is impossible to stealth your way through. Not only every camp includes one or more captains that can't be killed in one hit, but the game is full of mecenaries that take a lot longer to kill;
- The mercenaries AI cheats. The are magnetically attracted to you, regardless if you are detected or not. Even when you are hidden, they always spawn nearby and wander in your general direction;
- All changes to combat are designed to put pressure on the player to buy microtransactions (because in combat your gear and character levels matter);

Among other things. Like for example being an Assassin's Creed where you can't play as an Assassin.

The story is an absolute trash heap. It looks like one of those modern Tumblr cartoons, like Steven's Universe or Adventure Time, only with photorealistic graphics. It's absurd.

Overall it is an unrewarding time waster and as Ubisoft itself said, they have "time saver" microtransactions to sell you. Or you can just grind like an idiot.

Last edited:

nkarafo

World scaling with you is the worst mechanic i have ever seen in an RPG.

Is Origins also affected by this?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

You can now tone this down considerably in the options as of the latest release. If you put the slider all the way to the left, enemies are like 10 levels below you most of the time.

No, that one shipped with no scaling and they added the option in a patch. It's the better game, by far. Even without the patch, enemies at your level were much easier to handle than in Odyssey.
Also, the mercenary equivalent of Origins wasn't cheating.

These two flaws alone destroyed Odyssey for me. It's an incredibly annoying game. It feels like work. They added an option to tweak level scaling but I can't be bothered to suffer a couple more levels of bad scaling to put some distance between me and the enemies.
The mercenaries are still magnetic and it has the retarded Oblivion morality system where bounties are put on your head for crimes nobody is witnessing.
I was never annoyed by Monolith's Nemesis system. Whenever a merc shows up in Odyssey I feel like the devs personally shit on my game.

Raven117

I thought it was good, but that Origins was SIGNIFICANTLY better with respect to both combat, pacing and story.

Origins treatment of both Bayek and (forgive me, forgot the wifes name), is actually really good for a video game and rarely covered. This doesn't get near the amount of credit it deserves. Also, Origins didnt have the absurd level scaling. Odyssey, I was constantly fighting the EXP meter. IF you are aren't gridning all available side missions, you can quickly find yourself unable to both kill stealthly or take them on head on. Its really frustrating. I even bought the EXP Booster because I just wanted to get on with it, and still sometimes I couldn't get done what I wanted. Never had that issue with Orgins.

Also, Im sorry, but the Odyssey story was not all that epic. I never felt like I was truly on a journey, but rather just running to icon to icon. Morever, there is so much bloat in Odyssey...mercenaries, all the cultist, just one thing after another. I was ready for that to be done. It sounds like I didn't like the game, but I did. It just wasn't as good as Orgins.

Fbh

Also, Im sorry, but the Odyssey story was not all that epic. I never felt like I was truly on a journey, but rather just running to icon to icon. Morever, there is so much bloat in Odyssey...mercenaries, all the cultist, just one thing after another. I was ready for that to be done. It sounds like I didn't like the game, but I did. It just wasn't as good as Orgins.

Maybe I should try origins at some point.

And yeah it definitely has a lot of bloat.
I do, for example, not intend to kill all cultists since it just seems like a massive grind. Honestly, the whole cultist story line should have been integrated with the main story, I don't know why its treated as 2 different things.

It is trash. I couldn't bring myself to finish it and I am not playing any other Ubisoft game (just skipped the new Farcry game):

- grindy gameplay that level gates missions;
- it means optional missions aren't optional. You need to complete them in order to level up and be able to continue the main missions;
- it is impossible to stealth your way through. Not only every camp includes one or more captains that can't be killed in one hit, but the game is full of mecenaries that take a lot longer to kill;
- The mercenaries AI cheats. The are magnetically attracted to you, regardless if you are detected or not. Even when you are hidden, they always spawn nearby and wander in your general direction;
- All changes to combat are designed to put pressure on the player to buy microtransactions (because in combat your gear and character levels matter);

Among other things. Like for example being an Assassin's Creed where you can't play as an Assassin.

The story is an absolute trash heap. It looks like one of those modern Tumblr cartoons, like Steven's Universe or Adventure Time, only with photorealistic graphics. It's absurd.

Overall it is an unrewarding time waster and as Ubisoft itself said, they have "time saver" microtransactions to sell you. Or you can just grind like an idiot.

Well I liked it but I agree with most of your points.

I enjoyed the sidequests so there was only one point where main mission were suddenly like 4 levels above me but it did indeed suck. But I agree that it shouldn't be like that and optional quests should always be optional.

I didn't mention it in the op but I also had my issues with stealth. I invested in assassin skills and gave all of my gear stealth damage engravings and even so there were tons of times I had to go to some fort or base where the majority of enemies would take like 90% damage from my stealth strikes but wouldn't actually die. So it always triggered them to attack and remaining unspotted was basically impossible.
I like the idea that you can build your character to focus on different things but I found it weird how ineffective assassinations were even when building your character to be good at them

And yeah mercenaries kinda suck. I liked the concept and didn't even mind their ability to magically track you but they were WAY too bullet spongy. Stealth strikes only hit them for like 20% of their hp and then you still need to hit them half a million times for them to die. They should have made them like slightly stronger soldiers

Last edited:
The cultist system is neat IMO. The mercs have too much health, indeed.
In Origins the Phylakitai have a wide patrol area after they show up. As long as you figure it out you can hide and run away. In Odyssey the mercenaries feel artificial, it's obvious they're tethered to you.

Raven117

Maybe I should try origins at some point.
And yeah it definitely has a lot of bloat.
I do, for example, not intend to kill all cultists since it just seems like a massive grind. Honestly, the whole cultist story line should have been integrated with the main story, I don't know why its treated as 2 different things.
It really should have been intergrated better. And then the whole "find out who it is" thing and searching for clues, just felt like busy work. Hell, at least in Wildlands, these guys held certain territories.....a reason to knock them off. In this...they were just some icon on a map.

I like a good grindy game...This one, for some reason, just irritated me with so much nonsense.

Fbh

So finished the other more "sci fi" ending and I won't bother with "cultist" storyline because it just seems overly grindy (watched it on youtube and it doesn't even look like I'm missing out on much)

Some thoughts on the later stuff

While the story itself isn't very interesting or well written. I do think the game does a decent job with choices. Like most games it's not like they have a massive impact on the story but I liked how stuff like killing your father (which I did...because fuck him) remain relevant throughout the game. I also liked how choices like killing that one guy publicly or not do end up mattering quite a long time later even if the end result is pretty much the same.

According to Youtube I did get the "bad" ending but meh, I stay by my choices. My father and brother both deserved to die.

The mythical beasts were fun though a bit underwhelming. The Meduse was great though, easily the best fight in game and a pretty decent boss fight all around

Top Bottom