• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Ark: Survival Evolved

Hylian7

I bought this game last week (unfortunately before the sale, but oh well) and my group (mostly DayZ-GAF of old) and myself started playing it.

A bit of our history with these kinds of games first: We played DayZ in it's heyday back in the mod, were there pretty early in it's lifespan when it was really starting to hit it's stride. We loved it, and we loved playing these kinds of games. We played DayZ for a while, and after getting bored of the stock version, we played other mods of DayZ such as other maps, Overwatch, Epoch, and others. We also enjoyed Arma 2/3 Wasteland, and other Arma 3 mods such as Exile. We sometimes delved into other games of this genre such as Rust, we had about a month where we played that. None of them have quite had the staying power of the original DayZ and it's mods back in the day. We of course played DayZ standalone for a while, and sometimes to back to it to see what's new, but we have been disappointed with the standalone.

A few months ago, Ark: Survival of the Fittest became a standalone free game on Steam. We also enjoyed Battle Royale/Hunger Games types of games such as Arma 3 Battle Royale and H1Z1 Battle Royale (now known as King of the Kill). We gave Ark SotF a try liked it for the most part, despite our group sometimes being at each other's throats during it. We played it for a while, then stopped.

Last week, we decided to get into the main game: Ark: Survival Evolved. We started o a PvE server on the original map, and were liking what we played so far, but then a couple of members of our group decided to explore a server of The Center, the other map. That map was much more impressive, and was a PvP server, so we moved to that server and started fresh.

First of all, the Center is one hell of a map. It has insane verticality, diversity in biomes, including a lava biome as well as redwood (think Endor from Return of the Jedi). There are ancient ruins, and we STILL have only seen a fraction of it. There is an entire underground layer to the map that we haven't even seen yet.

The fact that there is some kind of endgame: bosses, makes it actually feel like there is a goal to work toward. It's a long road getting there, as this game has experience and leveling up. Stats are all things such as food, water, melee damage, stamina, health, and more. Leveling up also gets you Engram points, which you can spend to learn which recipes you can craft. You won't have enough points to get everything, so you really have to specialize within your group. Often we grab recipes as necessary, and we have some different roles depending on the situation. When we are at base, I'm the hunter for instance. I go out and kill things to gather meat, hide, etc. Another is the builder/homemaker, another goes for wood/thatch, another goes for stone/flint, and the other goes for metal. These switch around sometimes based on need.

Creature variety is incredible. Just walking around in our redwood biome, I have seen Diplodocus, Carnos, giant ants, megaloceros (giant deer), terror birds, direbears, and many others. Around the whole map there is so much more, including in the ocean. We have started taming recently, getting two Pteranodons so we can scout the map and go make some long range runs. Almost every creature is useful in some capacity. Dodo birds are even useful just to be a reliable source of meat (breeding them) and eggs to make kibble (tames faster). Obviously stuff like T-rexes are great at combat, or there are giant beavers that can basically be a mobile smithy, halve weight of anything they carry, and hit extremely hard. It will be a while until we get there, but there are these huge birds called Quetzals that you can build structures on the back of. I have seen some groups flying them through our neck of the woods, often with a structure, and other people and dinos standing on top of them. It's always a fun challenge to come up with ways to fight a high-level creature. Every item has some kind of use in the game. For instance, you can make a spyglass, and while it seems like a waste of resources when you can probably see well at a high resolution, a spyglass will tell you things like what level a creature or player is, who a structure belongs to, and much more. For instance, we saw a high-level carno and wanted to kill it for the experience, so we planned on how we would get on top or rocks and try to make it get stuck trying to get us, and keep shooting at it to bring it down eventually.

I'm level 36 myself, and the rest of my group is still below 40. We still have so much left in the game to see. We took a sailing expedition around the map and saw a group that had to have had at least 20 people in it with metal bases all over the place, auto turrets, Plant Species X (a dangerous plant that can shoot at people), and so many tames. I saw no less than 7 T-rexes in one base. It's always great having short term and long term goals. For instance my next goal is to get enough pelt to make Fur armor, and go to the ice biome to hunt penguins. I need to hunt penguins because they drop Polymer, which can make Ghillie Suits.

I think if any notable Early Access open-world survival gets finished, it will be Ark. They have consistently put out updates adding new meaningful content to the game all within the year of it's launch on Steam Early Access. The dev always communicates, and is constantly fixing issues that arise. There was a bug the other day where you would get almost no resources. This was fixed within 24 hours, and while this sounds like a long time, it is tons better than some other games that took weeks or even months. A modder actually made the Center map, and Wildcard cut him a huge check to put the map in the game! They just released a major patch over the weekend, and already within 24 hours of it's release, they were talking about the beginning of September update that will have more content.

Ark is an incredible experience, and honestly feels like a natural evolution of the "DayZ" forumla, but actually refining this type of game to make it stand out from the others. One of the few gripes I have with it is the performance, but hopefully they improve this over time. I highly recommend it if you haven't played it already.

The beauty in ark is taming dinos to help you.

Also, how you play PVP and PVE differ greatly.

If you are PVE, you wanna focus on taming the right dinos to make things easier for you....

so, it use to be Raptor (mount) > trike (berries/narcos) > steggo (berries/narcos) > mammoth (wood) > sabre (mount) > Argent (flying mount) > anky > (metal) > bronto (berries/narcos) > trex (meat).

its way different now with all the updates and I haven't been paying much attention for like the past like 5 months...just been hopping on to feed my like 100+ dinos then signing off.

I should get back into the thick of it tho.

DeviatePanda

Neo Member
I've got well over 400 hours into ARK but I wish I had waited for the official release. The performance is abysmal at worst and mediocre at best. Constant stuttering and hard crashes and low frame rate even with a gtx 970 on medium settings and 900p resolution. But even with all those in mind, I still LOVE this game and continue to play after each content patch.

Is there a Neogaf populated server yet?

Varg

Banned
Glad you enjoyed it and I usually enjoy these types of survival games (h1z1 rust reign of kings culling) but this was my first and only refund on steam. Horrible performance even on my 1080/i76700k, enemies teleporting all over the place while you fight them. Graphics were ugly as hell and look nothing like what was on the steam page. Friend and I bought it during the last big steam sale and luckily the refund process was simple and fast. Most of these problems won't bother most people but I just found it an overall horrible experience.

Hylian7

I'm always scared-yet-tempted to try this as CYOA PvP, Minecrafty stuff, and dinosaurs is so far in my wheelwell it aches.

Even if you completely ignore taming (which I don't recommend), there is STILL a lot to see here. There's two massive maps, but I would recommend the Center as it's much more interesting in my opinion. Just exploring has it's own rewards, but of course I would highly recommend taming to supplement that. You will definitely need tames if you ever plan on fighting bosses.

Gowans

I lvoe this game, a mate and I played this for so many hours on xbox, some really good stuff and stories from it.

The server got stale after a while with some alpha tribes becoming the law, taking a big break till chevos are added.

DrArchon

I keep seeing this pop up in weekly sales, but I don't buy hardly any Early Access games because I'm always afraid they'll end up like DayZ and just die before they're finished.

Is this Early Access because of a lack of content, or actually because it's what you consider an unfinished game (missing key features, etc)? I love Dinosaurs so I wouldn't mind trying it, but the fact it's not done scares me off.

Hylian7

I lvoe this game, a mate and I played this for so many hours on xbox, some really good stuff and stories from it.

The server got stale after a while with some alpha tribes becoming the law, taking a big break till chevos are added.

I don't know if the Center is on Xbox, but it's officially part of the game, and I highly recommend playing it. Much more variety and crazy stuff compared to the Island. There's a lava biome, scorched islands, an entire undeground layer, a redwood biome, the normal jungles, swamps, tropical, and snow, a floating island, waterfalls on the edge of the world, and crazy verticality. The redwood area alone has so much verticality compared to the other map, not to mention the stuff the snow biome and floating island have.

KageMaru

Absolutely love this game. A few friends and I played regularly on the xbox but stopped over concerns that they would reset the servers on launch day. When they confirmed they wouldn't reset well populated servers, we jumped back in.

If any gaffers wants to play, my friends and I are on server #441.

krpiper

I've only dabbled in Minecraft a bit, never much in the survival genre. My friends love Minecraft and for whatever reason it just doesnt click with me (I am not the super creative type)

Would this game appeal to both of us? They love the building and crafting. I think I would enjoy the combat and survival parts more.

Gowans

I don't know if the Center is on Xbox, but it's officially part of the game, and I highly recommend playing it. Much more variety and crazy stuff compared to the Island. There's a lava biome, scorched islands, an entire undeground layer, a redwood biome, the normal jungles, swamps, tropical, and snow, a floating island, waterfalls on the edge of the world, and crazy verticality. The redwood area alone has so much verticality compared to the other map, not to mention the stuff the snow biome and floating island have.

I believe it is now, I might go on a centre server with a mate for an explore.

Hylian7

I've only dabbled in Minecraft a bit, never much in the survival genre. My friends love Minecraft and for whatever reason it just doesnt click with me (I am not the super creative type)

Would this game appeal to both of us? They love the building and crafting. I think I would enjoy the combat and survival parts more.

Yes, this is much more about those. This is about building for survival rather than for decoration, and there is actually endgame with the bosses. It's a very long progression to get there, depending on the size of your group.

I would definitely not play by yourself though, as you will have a very difficult time. Many of the processes require more than one person, and having one person manage building, hunting, taming, crafting, and everything won't work out that well. You don't have enough Engram points to get everything, so you have to specialize.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Easily the best in the new realistic pvp "Survival/Craft" genre. At the same time, it still falls victim to all the same issues any of these games have and doesn't do a whole lot to alleviate them. I'll mention PVP more than PVE because I get bored with PVE since I still don't think there's enough content there for me personally. I get bored without a goal or a threat.

Personally, I think the game is absolutely gorgeous if you have the right settings on. The performance is definitely bad and I wish they'd work on that, but I'm guessing it's just Unreals fault.

PVP is really fun if you find the right server. The official servers are awful unless you have a huge group and you don't work or go to school. 1x everything is super slow in this game. I feel like 3x harvest/xp and 5x tame should be the absolute bare minimum. So the official server list I avoid.

I have a lot of fun just making buildings and taming dinos. That's where this game shines, there's actually a lot of stuff to do on your own that doesn't involve shooting other players. It's just shy of being a replacement for Minecraft.

I think the biggest problem Ark has, is it doesn't really have a stated 'goal' for pvp other than "troll other players and ruin their bases repeatedly so they eventually quit and the server dies". Reign of Kings is a very similar game, just in medieval times, and what no one else has copied from them yet is they have an overarching goal. You take the kingdom's castle which is vacant at server start, and you get perks for owning and holding it. Of course, everyone wants it, but it's actually very hard to take from other players. So, it gives everyone something to do other than just mindlessly raiding each other. You still want to raid to get resources to get strong enough to go take the castle, or build an encampment around it, but it's less focused on that. Ark is really severely missing that and with no main goal, PVP servers are only held together by server admin rules and human decency.

I also don't like the concept of gigas or titans. I think they're too powerful and it kills any point of defense because if the enemy comes with 5 gigas (and they will) you're dead. Doesn't matter if you have 50 turrets, you're gonna get trounced.

But, even after that negativity I still dearly love the game. I have really good memories of trying to build compact bases in not often traversed locations so we don't get noticed in PVP while big factions fight it out. That's a really special concept.

To add what Hylian said, there is actually beautification in there too. You can build for decoration and theme (not QUITE to minecraft's extent, but you can build huge cool stuff in this) so your friends can still build and craft for fun.

You can play on PVE servers with different progression ratings. Other players can't hurt you or your structures. You can make the game as grindy or not as you want.

Keep in mind you need a decent computer to run this game though.

Hylian7

Easily the best in the new realistic pvp "Survival/Craft" genre. At the same time, it still falls victim to all the same issues any of these games have and doesn't do a whole lot to alleviate them. I'll mention PVP more than PVE because I get bored with PVE since I still don't think there's enough content there for me personally. I get bored without a goal or a threat.

Personally, I think the game is absolutely gorgeous if you have the right settings on. The performance is definitely bad and I wish they'd work on that, but I'm guessing it's just Unreals fault.

PVP is really fun if you find the right server. The official servers are awful unless you have a huge group and you don't work or go to school. 1x everything is super slow in this game. I feel like 3x harvest/xp and 5x tame should be the absolute bare minimum. So the official server list I avoid.

I have a lot of fun just making buildings and taming dinos. That's where this game shines, there's actually a lot of stuff to do on your own that doesn't involve shooting other players. It's just shy of being a replacement for Minecraft.

I think the biggest problem Ark has, is it doesn't really have a stated 'goal' for pvp other than "troll other players and ruin their bases repeatedly so they eventually quit and the server dies". Reign of Kings is a very similar game, just in medieval times, and what no one else has copied from them yet is they have an overarching goal. You take the kingdom's castle which is vacant at server start, and you get perks for owning and holding it. Of course, everyone wants it, but it's actually very hard to take from other players. So, it gives everyone something to do other than just mindlessly raiding each other. You still want to raid to get resources to get strong enough to go take the castle, or build an encampment around it, but it's less focused on that. Ark is really severely missing that and with no main goal, PVP servers are only held together by server admin rules and human decency.

I also don't like the concept of gigas or titans. I think they're too powerful and it kills any point of defense because if the enemy comes with 5 gigas (and they will) you're dead. Doesn't matter if you have 50 turrets, you're gonna get trounced.

But, even after that negativity I still dearly love the game. I have really good memories of trying to build compact bases in not often traversed locations so we don't get noticed in PVP while big factions fight it out. That's a really special concept.

To add what Hylian said, there is actually beautification in there too. You can build for decoration and theme (not QUITE to minecraft's extent, but you can build huge cool stuff in this) so your friends can still build and craft for fun.

You can play on PVE servers with different progression ratings. Other players can't hurt you or your structures. You can make the game as grindy or not as you want.

Keep in mind you need a decent computer to run this game though.

I disagree on the endgoal though, as bosses exist and being able get to the point to defeat them is a pretty huge deal.

Given the fact that tribes are a thing, I feel like politics on PvP servers exist and make things much more interesting. There have been times I saw another player, and could have killed them, but also saw they were of a larger tribe, and killing them would have been an act of war, and our little base wouldn't be ready for that. Some of these cases were from a tribe we sailed around the map and saw they had multiple metal bases all armed to the teeth with gun turrets, Plant Species X (plants that shoot at people), and lots of nasty tames.

I actually enjoy this buggy game,i can dip in and out as I please and not feel like I'm lost when I start play again.Its just good fun

Hylian7

Thought I would give the free weekend a go, this was my first life :(

That happened to me a few times starting out. I would recommend not spawning in the swamp as those snakes spawn around there all the time, plus you have to wade through the water and deal with leeches, which require fire to get off.

Basically you just need to find somewhere stable to get your footing, it might take a few lives your first time.

Top Bottom