• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman: Arkham Origins - The Forgotten Arkham game

SCB3

With Christmas fast approaching what better way than to cleanse my AAA gaming palette from this year than go and play a big game from my backlog and a timely one with it being set at Xmas and the Switch ports of the Rocksteady Trilogy also due out soon

This game is often lauded for its great boss fights but its far below even Arkham Knight in peoples rankings, so lets see how well it's held off, a couple things to note for myself

• I have played some of this on the Wii U version, the controls fucked my up though (A and B are switched on that version) but going in fresh on PC this time
  • I know the twist with Black Mask already, thats been long spoiled by myself
  • I will check out the side game: Blackgate after as that seems liek a short fun little game

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Origins was never bad, it just felt super weak next to the rest. Did have some great bosses but felt entirely too familiar after City. The people trying to pull off some sort of revisionist history "it was the best one" are freaks, though.

It's not a bad game but it falls short of Rocksteady's greatness because it's just an imitation of their work. That's why I appreciated their approach to Gotham Knights (same studio), because it was decidedly NOT an Arkham game. Sure, GK still fell short, but I appreciate an attempt at something new(ish) than just playing it safe and making another imitation.

Arachnid

Origins was my second favorite after City personally. It had the second best story and the best boss fights in the series.

It being an asset flip of City killed it for some people but it's GOAT tier to me. It should be part of the Arkham collection with the rest.

Hugare

Huge downgrade in terms of combat, presentation and polish

Game was ok, but didnt innovate shit compared to the others while also using the same map. And it was very buggy.

It was very clearly made by a B team, but people love to overrate the game due to the Deathstroke fight

Just like Bioshock 2, it was very ok, but it was clearly built on top of an innovative game that did more than half of their work for them, so the magic wasnt there anymore

Last edited:

SCB3

It's not a bad game but it falls short of Rocksteady's greatness because it's just an imitation of their work. That's why I appreciated their approach to Gotham Knights (same studio), because it was decidedly NOT an Arkham game. Sure, GK still fell short, but I appreciate an attempt at something new(ish) than just playing it safe and making another imitation.
I have a soft spot for Gotham Knights, it was a fine fun game that I got cheap in a sale and had a lot of fun with, wasn’t some amazing game sure but serviceable enough in a universe I love

So far I’m an hour in and it’s been good, felt right at home and it feels kinda linear atm, I kinda like that I’m a bit burnt out on pure open world games so something smaller and focused would be fun

Origins is awesome, I loved the Christmas theme and snowy Gotham City. The opening theme by Christopher Drake is one of the better Batman themes.

It being essentially the same play area as City and some launch bugs didn't help its reputation. But in retrospect, it's an enjoyable game that looks and plays well on PC at 60 fps.

Ben87fr

I liked this game but i kept getting corrupted saves on 360 at the time, i finished it but i never was able to to all the secondary quests 😓

Roni

Gold Member
Origins is awesome, I loved the Christmas theme and snowy Gotham City. The opening theme by Christopher Drake is one of the better Batman themes.

It being essentially the same play area as City and some launch bugs didn't help its reputation. But in retrospect, it's an enjoyable game that looks and plays well on PC at 60 fps.
Agree on the OST. Its boss fights are the best in the series, probably. Rocksteady was probably too proud to rip Origins' boss fights off for Knight, but they should have. The combat was a bit slower and stiffer, but it represents an early Batman well.

stn

The game was good but buggy. Right after I beat the game, I wanted to start NG+. Then I got hit with the corrupted save bug. Haven't returned to the game since, but at least I managed to beat it once.

Origins was never bad, it just felt super weak next to the rest. Did have some great bosses but felt entirely too familiar after City. The people trying to pull off some sort of revisionist history "it was the best one" are freaks, though.
The Cold, Cold Heart DLC is the best experience in the series. The Christmas theme is far more aesthetically pleasing then the gritty look of the rest of the series. The rest of the series I have a hard time going back to. Going back to this one is like sliding under a warm blanket.

Cashon

Banned
It's not the best one, but if you look at each game on their own, instead of release order, Origins in the second best after Asylum. Does everything City does, but with a better story.

ungalo

The problem is, it's not available on the Xbox store anymore. They're removing a lot of games from the store without anyone noticing.

GymWolf

Tried 3 times to get into it but:

The timing for the counter was fucked up, the combat feels less precise.

It felt very derivative after city

The qte boss battle against deathstroke was terrible (tbf most boss battle with free flow are terrible)

Didn't cared for young, non-expert batman nor black skull.

Bailed out all 3 times, i'm not gonna try again.

WoJ

Great game. Best boss fights in the series. Best Joker too (fight me). A little janky and buggy but still had a ton of fun with it.

My biggest issue with the game is
how they handled Black Mask. Would have preferred they ran with Black Mask as the villain versus the bait and switch to give us Joker again.

SkylineRKR

I think its the best in terms of story and bosses. Its a bit more buggy than City but ultimately I liked it more. The game should've had a remaster that dealt with the inconsistencies. Though the other Arkham remasters turned out to be rather bad.

The Stig

This is a good post. The game on its own is pretty good. Yes it lacked Conroy (they were apparently going for a younger, angrier Bruce, which I think they kinda pulled off) and isn't as good as the others but it is absolutely worth playing.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's my favorite Arkham next to Asylum hands down. Best boss fights, the hotel level was fuckin amazing, the crime scene investigation stuff was simple but dope and it had FAST TRAVEL FINALLY with the Batwing

You could also talk to Alfred when chillin at the cave AND at one point he calls you wishing you a Merry Christmas

Def up there with the best "holiday time" games.

I have Cold Cold Heart (the DLC with Mr Freeze thats supposedly great) but Ive never given a shot. Thanks OP.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
The problem is, it's not available on the Xbox store anymore. They're removing a lot of games from the store without anyone noticing.
Origins, as far as I know, was never purchasable on the store from an Xbox One, up to the Series. You have to have the disc to play it via BC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's my favorite Arkham Game. Love it. It's not perfect and it was an annoying bug fest when it came out, but damn did I have a good time doing the challenge rooms.

StueyDuck

This was always that game that got hate and I never understood why.

Like yeah it wasn't rocksteady but it was a decent enough attempt, also had a unique and fun MP too

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Origins, as far as I know, was never purchasable on the store from an Xbox One, up to the Series. You have to have the disc to play it via BC.

During quarantine, I deliberately set out to find a decent shape 360 Elite and a hard copy of AO.

Great success

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought the story was great, the best Bane in the Arkham series, and I was a fan of the Dark Knight system that added additional challenges to the game that I found fun to complete. No clue where I'd put it on a tier list, but I quite enjoyed it at the time.

SCB3

It was only available digitally in PC, even the psn version is streamed

SCB3

So I got up to the Deathstroke boss and yea this is where I quit on the Wii U version all those years ago, the QT events on Wii U mess my head up with the ABZY buttons all switch around

I can see why this boss is so well revered, its a tactical fight and on normal, can be rough, especially if you get beat as its a complete restart on him, still not too much trouble and its holding up well. I will say though someone mentioned the Arkham City is propping the game up and I disagree, but for only 1 reason, this game would've worked much much better if it was more linear like Asylum is, 1 big location with different places to go or do it level to level or something, theres not a lot to the City this time around other than unlocking some towers/fast travel points and Anarchy is there I guess

SCB3

I definitely see why this game is often cited as being buggy or not the same quality as the others, the GCPD and section getting into it is rough and kinda confusing on where to go or what to do, I spent far too long trying to squeeze a remote batarang through a vent before I thought about using the remote claw to get up there as the indictor you have to shoot didn't spawn unless I was stood in a VERY specific place, the game also feels like its barely holding together at times

I really like a lot of the stuff in Origins: the way Bane and Joker are written and drawn (more serious and intense), the characterization of 'young, angry Bats', the Alfred who challenges Bruce on his decisions and motivations, the way Gotham corruption is handled (the SWAT team after Batman, for ex), the Batman suit (esp. the cowl). Oh, and the atmosphere/setting with the snow at Christmas.

Really don't like the ending sequence, and the bugs at launch were really unforgiveable. The combat's not as good as the Rocksteady games, but it's still better than most other stuff of this genre.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I actually liked this more then the others, even with it's oversized doors and cars and bugs.
A Remaster that fixes all that would change a lot of people's opinions I think.

Last edited:
I'll take Arkham Knight over any of them. But of the original 3, I think Origins has aged the best.

I remember liking it even back then. It def. has it's issues, but I still really like booting it up around Christmas time and kicking some ass. It also shockingly has the best boss fights of the original trilogy in my opinion. The Nvidia PhysX stuff still looks great on PC and it runs very well.

Just a great game that was a little too harshly criticized for not being made by Rocksteady.

SCB3

Well it definitely picks up when Joker turns up, I loved the Hotel section a lot and its saved the slow burn start of the game imo

SCB3

And finished, what a game, iut reminds me of Bioshock Infinite where I heard nothing but mediocre things for the last 10 years until I decided to actually sit down and play it, I personally put this above Knight and slightly beloew City and Asylum(still the best one)

I loved the boss fights a lot and the story is definitely a massive plus in the games books

Onto the DLC with one of my favorite Villains in comics, Mr Freeze

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Best in the series.

Peak PS3 era aesthetics, alongside with a great story with surprising twists and well-written main villains, as well as the best boss fights in any of the Arkham games and a phenomenal level design throughout the entire game.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

There's a line in this game where Batman says something along the lines of "I'm the reason criminals breathe easier when the sun rises".

Honestly the whole scene is perfect. This game is massively underrated.

I had a thing where I was burned out on Batman games and God of War. Now that years have passed I decided to play Batman Origins and God of War Ascension.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I found these games that were bashed on their releases to be a great amount of fun. It's like having a sequel to the old formula I loved.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Fuck it, found a used copy for $11, no box but that's ok.

ILLKXYV.jpg

Top Bottom