• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne

The DLC weapons are bad ass.

I know everyone loves the whirligig saw, but I got a lot of satisfaction out of the boom hammer.

Geez......just seeing this thread makes me want to go do a new build.

Nev

Banned
"How many weekly Bloodborne threads do we really need? Gaf hyperbole!! This game won't even be remembered in a few years!!"

It's funny because it's soon going to be two years and doesn't look like the praise is stopping.

Dark and Demon's were brilliant games that were just one little step away from perfection, mainly in thematic cohesion, consistent vision and delivering throghout the whole game. Bloodborne is the culmination.

Truly a work of art I can only compare to a masterpiece such as SotC. Enjoy the best videogame ever. If I could get to play a game for the first time again I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

"How many weekly Bloodborne threads do we really need? Gaf hyperbole!! This game won't even be remembered in a few years!!"

It's funny because it's soon going to be three years and it doesn't look like the praise is stopping.

Dark and Demon's were brilliant games that were just one little step away from perfection, mainly in thematic cohesion, consistent vision and delivering throghout the whole game. Bloodborne is the culmination of that.

Truly a work of art I can only compare to a masterpiece such as SotC. Enjoy the best videogame ever. If I could get to play a game for the first time again I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
Ten years from now when ppl are playing their ps6 talking about rumors of a PS6 PRO after red dead 2/TLOU 2/ GOD of WAR etc has dropped they will be talking about how bloodborne was the best game on PS4... quote this post in 2027.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

I know everyone loves the whirligig saw, but I got a lot of satisfaction out of the boom hammer.

The Boom Hammer is great. So simple, yet so satisfying.

All of the DLC weapons are great.

diablogod

I bought Dark Souls 1 many moons ago when it went up for free on the Xbox 360, and I loved it. The only other series that captivated me in that way was Zelda, it truly felt special. The way the world was so seamlessly linked together seriously impressed me, as did the layers upon layers of depth the gameplay had. When I heard about the sequel, Dark Souls 2, not being so hot, I decided to skip out on it. Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be great, but we'll save that for another time.

Enter Bloodborne.

I played for about an hour last night, and I can already tell that this is going to be something special. The Victorian-era design and the super fast-paced gameplay make for an incredibly fresh experience coming off of its predecessor, and From Software still manage to find ways to have the game kick my ass. I made it pretty far without dying, but I managed to lose almost 5000 souls (Or blood? Whatever its called) when I got to the top of a bridge with two hulking werewolves atop it. Prior to that I found some sweet hunter armor in a rat-filled well, and basked in the atmosphere of the place.

This is my first game on the PS4, it's truly a great way to start off the system. Really loving this so far

I'm excited for you to dive in. Wish I could play this game for my first time every month =)

Toxi

Banned

Boom Hammer is super fun for such a simplistic weapon. Getting that charged overhead swing is so satisfying.

But the real champ is
the Holy Moonlight Sword.

ReaperXL7

Did they never actually release a game of the year edition for Bloodborne? I wanted to rebuy it since I sold it off after getting really frustrated by trudging through this area where some invisible monsters kept attacking me and it didn't seem like there was anything I could do. I figured I'd rebuy it but I don't see an option to buy the complete package on disc.

ch4fx_

I love these threads. <3

Congrats OP, glad you're liking the game. Yharnam is such an amazing place, take your time & enjoy everything -- you won't get to play a game like this ever again.

Pizza cutter is life.

Izuna

Banned
NVM, can't start today because I just found out that PS4 games are somewhat region locked when it comes to licenses as well as the saves.

oh well~~

diablogod

Did they never actually release a game of the year edition for Bloodborne? I wanted to rebuy it since I sold it off after getting really frustrated by trudging through this area where some invisible monsters kept attacking me and it didn't seem like there was anything I could do. I figured I'd rebuy it but I don't see an option to buy the complete package on disc.

I don't think there's a NA version of it but you got get the EU disc version for like 30-40 and it'll work in any PS4

farisr

Is this a much better game on the Pro with boost mode?
There are improvements in some areas of the game where the original game dropped in framerate. But overall, the improvements are slight. The general stutter/jitter you see in the game is not gone as that has more to do with frame pacing rather than the framerate.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
Boom Hammer is super fun for such a simplistic weapon. Getting that charged overhead swing is so satisfying.

But the real champ is
the Holy Moonlight Sword.

Yeah, my low Arcane made it not the best choice of weapon, but it's so cool I had to use it anyways. Now that I'm on New Game+ it's slowly becoming better and better.

Favourite DLC weapon to me is the strenght version of the Cane, don't know the name.

Name: Beast Cutter. Great weapon, I love it.

After beating Nioh, Bloodborne is MILES ahead still in terms of everything. Not a fan of the loot system, music, story, lack of enemy variety, boss fights, co-op mechanics in Nioh. Nothing really stands out from me from the game besides the combat which is fine, but BB's combat is more aggressive and visceral and FEELS more fun to play with the regain mechanic and trick weapons and enemy types/bosses. Bloodborne is 11/10, whereas Nioh is 7/10 for me.

A tip in general that may also help you with where you are now - you don't have to fight everything. Running past enemies and backtracking a bit later can be useful.

Cane whip is da bess!
Pimp cane is secret best weapon.
giphy.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Greatest game of all time.

May the good blood guide your way.

I started Bloodborne myself in early November last year. Took a break for FFXV, then dived back in to finish. Game was amazing. I still need to get the DLC.

Saw Cleaver for life.

Necron

My favourite kind of threads. Enjoy one of the best games ever.

Follow the tip provided: spend blood echoes you don't need on blood vials, especially in the beginning of the game.

I'm already looking forward to replay it one day.

I started Bloodborne myself in early November last year. Took a break for FFXV, then dived back in to finish. Game was amazing. I still need to get the DLC.

Saw Cleaver for life.

I tried the Cleaver for a bit, but kept Kirk on hand for a tight situation. Then I moved on over to Hunter Axe, and now that I'm in the DLC I'm drooling over other stuff. Some of that stuff is nice.

Revenge slamming the DLC enemies with their own weapons is delicious.

PSqueak

Banned
A tip in general that may also help you with where you are now - you don't have to fight everything. Running past enemies and backtracking a bit later can be useful.

Cane whip is da bess!

Whip mode can really fucking save you from the mobs on the very first area, really good for fighting a lot of enemies.

LordOfChaos

Is this a much better game on the Pro with boost mode?

30% ish less frame pacing issues and a more consistent framerate in some parts (mostly not a problem, co-op can tank framerate though). I wouldn't say "much" better, but if you have one it's certainly bonus points.

latest

Best Axe ever.

/fact.

Shit, best weapon ever maybe. I've never been a Heavy Weapon/ Axe kinda guy but the moveset on that is too much. I never get tired of using it.

XSX

Anyone wanna help me get through the
CainHurst Castle boss?
PM me. I'm having a tough and not enjoyable time.

Zaru

since I sold it off after getting really frustrated by trudging through this area where some invisible monsters kept attacking me and it didn't seem like there was anything I could do.

Did you... by chance suddenly have spikes in your body?

aett

Weird, I almost made this thread today as well. I just started playing the game last night. I reached the first boss on top of the bridge one time (by running past everything) and after that got the Hunter gear and my first level up. I thought I could definitely take out the twin werewolves at that point, but they still destroyed me.

Weird, I almost made this thread today as well. I just started playing the game last night. I reached the first boss on top of the bridge one time (by running past everything) and after that got the Hunter gear and my first level up. I thought I could definitely take out the twin werewolves at that point, but they still destroyed me.

Did you open the shortcut to the boss on the bridge? pretty important!

Sulik2

I died like 30 times in 10 minutes when I first got this; would've died more if not for the long load times. Need to give this game another shot .

Central Yarnham is very poorly designed to on board new players. It doesn't give you any proper instructions on how systems works, has a ton of different paths that are cool once you know the game, but just make the zone more difficult for new players. Then your healing items are limited and you have to farm them, Bloodborne's biggest design mistake period. On top of not letting you level up until you find an insight and then doesn't tell you that you can't level up yet or how to get insight. In a game that has nearly flawless design as it goes on, the first three hours are riddled with bad decisions. Look up a guide on how to run to the first boss so you can get an insight and start leveling so the starting area gets less difficult and it becomes a much better game.

PSqueak

Banned
Nope! Is it before or after the werewolves?

Between the werewolves and the guy with the brick and 3 crows, there should be a villager near it, it goes through a house.

This short cut not only allows you to access the bridge quickly to the first boss fight, it will also later connect into a second shortcut to reach the second boss fight too.

For me this game didn't hook me super deep right when I started. I was enjoying it but tapered off a bit and didn't come back to it until the end of 2015.

Got to the (spoilers)
Elder gods/Aliens
and it clicked. Something about that tonal shift just grabbed me and I feverishly trucked through the remainder.

Went from a "oh that's pretty good but not as special as Dark Souls or Demons souls" to my GOTY.

Fitts

Sounds like you're doing fine (work) OP, but just remember that your primary method of healing in most situations should be counterattacking after taking damage. It runs completely opposite to the combat flow of Souls, but there have been a lot of posts complaining about having to "grind" for blood vials from those that couldn't grasp this concept.

Cane whip is da bess!

C A N E B O Y S -- such an amazing weapon in a collection of amazing weapons from an amazing game.

Rezae

A bit overrated but an excellent game. My personal preference is still the DS series due to variety of builds and environments relative to BB. No arguing on the excellent fighting pace though of BB. Got my platinum a few weeks ago after going back to after a year break
(LHB all the way!).

You're in for a treat.

It's a work of art, and a visual masterpiece. Popped it in 3 days ago, and I've been hooked once again. The DLC really added some fantastic stuff. Vanilla game felt a bit lacking in content in comparison to DS1.

BB, and Y0 are GOTG level games so far this gen. We still got NieR, and Persona 5 coming up soon... What a year.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Protip: After leveling up and upgrading weapons, spend your remaining blood echoes on blood vials before leaving the Hunter's Dream.

Too many ignore their Blood Vials and then complain about having to farm when they run out.

Protip: After leveling up and upgrading weapons, spend your remaining blood echoes on blood vials before leaving the Hunter's Dream.

Too many ignore their Blood Vials and then complain about having to farm when they run out.

Or just go to
Central Yarnham
, take the path to the left and kill everything between there and where the first boss was. You easily get about 10 vials in less than five minutes.

I've played for about 6 hours, and I still can't beat the first boss.

I tried to beat him using father gascoigne and I failed, now I can't summon any more help, any tips to gain more insight to summon co op help?

I've explored the first level many times over, and would love to see more of the game.

Make sure to play the DLC Old Hunters after you finish your first run of the game, and read a bit on the lore. It's not an exaggeration to say it contains one of the best moments in gaming in the past 10 years.

I LOVE THE DLC. But I am curious about which moment was that best moment??? spoiler tag or DM me!

I've played for about 6 hours, and I still can't beat the first boss.

I tried to beat him using father gascoigne and I failed, now I can't summon any more help, any tips to gain more insight to summon co op help?

I've explored the first level many times over, and would love to see more of the game.

If I'm not mistaken you get insight every time a boss kills you, right?

Top Bottom