• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood / Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Castlevania was a franchise I was interested in for a longer time now, since I am a sucker for gothic horror books and movies in the vein of the old Universal Horror movies. This franchise always looked like a great amalgam of all great horror creatures and settings there are. Sadly, I never could really go into the games, I was not interested in 3D Hack N Slay like Lord of Shadows and never got into Symphony of the Night. I just couldnt stand the 10 minutes the game took from dying to restart the game and of course, early in the game, you die a lot.
Then I tried the games that were included on the NES classic. I really liked the original Castlevania, but it was still way to rough, even while it looked amazing. I played a few minutes and stopped then. I have the feeling that from all games, Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Classic is going to be the best playable from the classic games and I really look forward to play it.

So now I have seen the Netflix show and really loved it, and once again I was totally hyped on Castlevania. Again I was looking to play a Castlevania game but didnt know which one to play since I didnt wanted to play a long Metroidvania and more just wanted to get a quick fix. I almost bought Mirrors of Fate but then got Rondo of Blood / Dracula X Chronicles recommended. Its currently only 2,99€ on the european PSN and of course I bought it immediately. And I really really love it so far. It looks gorgeous and the music is just amazing, even while I am still waiting for the adaption of Simons Theme.
One of the things that always turned me of while researching on the game was that its supposed to be super hard, but right now (Stage IV), its still tolerable. Its not easy, you need some skill but its not super hard, beside the first boss I easily defeated every boss within a few tries. The control is sometimes a bit irky, Richter does not all the time what I want him to do and I hate that I cant whip upwards, but its ok for a SNES Port. I also like how the levels have multiple branches, that split of. I am not sure if I will revisit the game later and look into every other brache, but I really like to have the option.

I have no idea how much of the game I have left, but I really enjoy it so far and I will give Symphony of the Night definitly another try after beating the game.
And soon I can play Super Castlevania IV <3

Whats GAFs stand on Rondo of Blood?

The Original Rondo of Blood (included in the PSP package I think you get access after beating the game) is so much better than the remake. It's not an SNES port. The original Rondo of Blood was on the PC Engine and is 2D. The PSP one is a 3D remake of it. The Dracula X on the SNES is like a sort of re imagining of it if you will with levels and areas. Not the same game at all. Original PCE Rondo of Blood is an amazing game.

Best Castlevania game

The control is sometimes a bit irky, Richter does not all the time what I want him to do and I hate that I cant whip upwards,

This is all deliberate and in line with the games balance. Levels are designed around this. I think its very important. But if you want more freedom you might like Super Castlevania IV.

I love the soundtrack changing feature and how you individually select which songs play for each level. Collecting the various CDs hidden throughout the game was addictive.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love the soundtrack changing feature and how you individually select which songs play for each level. Collecting the various CDs hidden throughout the game was addictive.
While you are talking about it, I came along a CD that was behind a red yellywall - I couldnt access it, because even while I was able to make it shrink, the passage was blocked - How can I go past that?

It plays better, and it looks better IMHO. I really don't like the PSP remake. I found it really clunky compared to the original. In the remake Richter feels heavy and laden down. I never get that feeling playing the original. I've never done a scientific comparison but it always felt like the remake either moved slower, or didn't cover as much ground with each step, I'm not sure. In the original Richter feels fast and fairly mobile, the remake Richter feels like he has a hard time getting out of his own way.

While you are talking about it, I came along a CD that was behind a red yellywall - I couldnt access it, because even while I was able to make it shrink, the passage was blocked - How can I go past that?
There are a couple upgrades you can get from rescuing some women hidden throughout the levels. Don't remember specifically where but you need to find them before you can break the red bone walls and crystal walls. They arent too hard to find and iirc one is in the cemetery.

kunonabi

I was never too fond of rondo personally. It had an amazing presentation aside from the anime cutscenes and the gameplay was more fleshed out than usual but it was just too easy to for me to find any real satisfaction in it. Still better than super castlevania iv though.

OnPoint

It plays better, and it looks better IMHO. I really don't like the PSP remake. I found it really clunky compared to the original. In the remake Richter feels heavy and laden down. I never get that feeling playing the original. I've never done a scientific comparison but it always felt like the remake either moved slower, or didn't cover as much ground with each step, I'm not sure. In the original Richter feels fast and fairly mobile, the remake Richter feels like he has a hard time getting out of his own way.
Hate when people ignore these reasons and reduce it to sprites vs polygons

gafneo

Banned
I think the game was more intimidating than hard. Death is definitely harder on the first Rondo of Blood. Noobs just need to use the cross magic on phase 2 to get the hard part out of the way.

Ahasverus

How lucky, the GOAT Castlevania package (Seriously, how can you best having Rondo, its remake and Symphony on a single place?).
Poor you. The jelly wall is supposed to break with an ability you gain... and you already missed it. Welp.
You can always replay the level where they give it to you.

TreIII

In addition to these, I just didn't like how the colors in the Remake seemed so dull compare to the original's. Considering Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts was on the same platform, and yet, was just as colorful as its predecessors, it only seemed that much more jarring.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How lucky, the GOAT Castlevania package (Seriously, how can you best having Rondo, its remake and Symphony on a single place?).

Poor you. The jelly wall is supposed to break with an ability you gain... and you already missed it. Welp.
You can always replay the level where they give it to you.

There are a couple upgrades you can get from rescuing some women hidden throughout the levels. Don't remember specifically where but you need to find them before you can break the red bone walls and crystal walls. They arent too hard to find and iirc one is in the cemetery.
Shit, gonna go back next time I play then i guess :D

Is Symphony well playable in the port? Better then when I would play the PS1 Version via Emulation?

aadiboy

Is Symphony well playable in the port? Better then when I would play the PS1 Version via Emulation?
I played SOTN via this collection on Vita for the first time a few months ago, and had no problems. There's no point in buying another version when you already have a good one.

drotahorror

Too bad Konami never green lit The Dracula X Chronicles for PSTV in North America. I'll never forgive them for that, amongst a million other things.

Agreed. I tried playing The Dracula Chronicles X a while ago and it was a big disappointment. The bland 3D graphics didn't bother me, but the unresponsive and clunky gameplay is beyond awful. it feels very different from the original PC-Engine game and kills all desire I have to see the extra content in the remake.

Ahasverus

It's a great port, it's that people can't get over "what is a man". It even has an additional playable character.

Its one of my favorite PSP games. Not only do you get a remake of a great game that never got released internationally but you get the original Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night.

Sciz

Then I tried the games that were included on the NES classic. I really liked the original Castlevania, but it was still way to rough, even while it looked amazing. I played a few minutes and stopped then.

CV1 is a harsh but fair mistress. Every trick it pulls has a counter.

ds1724

latest

GOAT.

The remake was actually decent, I really liked it although the original is a little better but the fact that they include it in the package is great, plus SOTN is included too, so it was totally worth buying if you had a PSP.

Golnei

Wait, you say that there are people who dislike this?!?

This is the best line in any video game there is.

People are sometimes so wrong.

No, he's saying that nostalgia for the original unfairly biases them against the rest of the port due to its rerecorded/written dub.

While most characters' VA was a clear improvement, I still don't really like the PSP dub's Alucard. The choices they made for portraying him in the Netflix adaptation were much more in line with what I found endearing about the original game's performance, though of course without its stiltedness.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If you hear Norio Wakamoto saying those lines, they become even better.
Link? :D

No, he's saying that nostalgia for the original unfairly biases them against the rest of the port due to its rerecorded/written dub.

While most characters' VA was a clear improvement, I still don't really like the PSP dub's Alucard. The choices they made for portraying him in the Netflix adaptation were much more in line with what I found endearing about the original game's performance, though of course without its stiltedness.
Ahhh, I see, its kinda like the VA in Twin Snakes Vs the original then.
Curious now, how its gonna sound like and which one I am going to prefer.

I have it for my PS Vita but I don't even know what do you unlock lol

Is it Rondo of Blood or it also has SOTN? I really don't know.

Also, how does SOTN PS1 Classic work on PS Vita, does it have those long loading screens or are they shorter?

Anyway, loved Dracula X Chronicles (or what I've played of it)

Davey Cakes

Rondo of Blood is a challenging game with kickass music. I enjoy how it takes some cues from Dracula's Curse (my favorite CV game) with the branching paths.

First time I ever played it was via a PC emulator with the actual PC engine disc. A solid experience, but I really thought the Wii Virtual Console version was perfect. Never played the remake as it came out after my brother already traded in our PSP.

It's too bad that SNES Dracula X isn't quite up to snuff.

Tizoc

Link? :D

Ahhh, I see, its kinda like the VA in Twin Snakes Vs the original then.
Curious now, how its gonna sound like and which one I am going to prefer.

Oh sorry I may have misworded; what I meant is to imagine hearing Norio speaking those words (in English AND Japanese).
...but fyi Norio Wakamoto voices Dracula in the SotN port in this compilation release so it is worth hearing him ham it up as he always does ;3

I have it for my PS Vita but I don't even know what do you unlock lol

Is it Rondo of Blood or it also has SOTN? I really don't know.

Also, how does SOTN PS1 Classic work on PS Vita, does it have those long loading screens or are they shorter?

Anyway, loved Dracula X Chronicles (or what I've played of it)

You can unlock both.

It's a great game. The controls are stiff, but you have to habituate yourself to them. It's a game where combat is about positioning and precision, not mobility.

I don't get people saying the original is different. I'l bet if you made a side by side comparison, the movement would be the exactly the same. I think it's a psychological effect from the 3d graphics, that also makes people think Bloodstained is slower than Symphony.

Speaking of SotN, this version is great, and it has the japanese familiars and playable Maria. If you want the og dialogue, just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

Yes. The original definitely feels better. The remake is fine but it feels clunky compared the original. Also, the visuals in the remake are just some of the most bland shit. To the OP - if you like the look of SOTN then you'll love the visuals in the original version of Rondo.

As someone who has played multiple versions of SOTN (including the Saturn version) the version featured in this collection is great. I personally would suggest changing the VO to the Japanese VO but other than that it's a great version of SOTN.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying Rondo. It might be my favorite platformer ever? So much depth and SO many secrets. This game also has such a great difficulty ramp up. It definitely gets hard, particularly a lot of the alternate stages and whatnot, but the game kind of does a good job preparing you.
If you enjoyed CV1 then I would recommend checking out CV3 particularly the Japanese version of possible. Not just because the music is better but the difficulty is pretty well balanced in the Famicom version especially compared to the NES version. I'm also a big fan of Castlevania Chronicles (which is REALLY hard), Bloodlines, and Castlevania The Adventure: Rebirth. I'm also one of those weirdos that enjoys the N64 games and Curse of Darkness but I don't know that I'd actually recommend any of those games...

The version of SOTN is kind of disappointing due to the jacked up aspect ratio. It's weird, there are bars on the side but it's still way too stretched, so it's like they knew not to just stretch it all the way but they still didn't get it right.

One of the few Castlevania games I've played. Played it back on the Wii virtual console release. I don't remember much about it other than the fact that I enjoyed it a lot. I remember the difficulty being at a really great level, but that's about all.

Ahasverus

Wait, you say that there are people who dislike this?!?

tumblr_m54hmohsxa1qbzkwyo1_500.gif

This is the best line in any video game there is.

People are sometimes so wrong.
On the contrary, people are salty they changed it for the PSP port (Changed it, in as, making it sound like actual dialogue by a human).

MoonFrog

Considering playing this game at some point myself, and with people talking about versions I thought I'd ask "how is the Wii VC version?" So I will: How is the Wii VC version?

Ahasverus

Considering playing this game at some point myself, and with people talking about versions I thought I'd ask "how is the Wii VC version?" So I will: How is the Wii VC version?
Fantastic.

Also play "Castlevania: Rebirth" on WiiWare. It's a classic Castlevania made in modern times. It totally rocks.

BTHR Zero X

Fantastic.

Also play "Castlevania: Rebirth" on WiiWare. It's a classic Castlevania made in modern times. It totally rocks.

Actually this, I never got Castlevania Rebirth on the Wii and I do not own a Wii U so can I still get it or is there something I need to do or just get a Wii U lol

Top Bottom