• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dust: an Elysian Tail

jholmes

I really enjoyed this game but it is a perfect example of how everyone thinks they can write but most people are very bad at it. The dialogue was painfully overwritten and often amateurish, and really detracted from a good experience.

That said I thought the game was a blast and pushed through despite the conversations about nothing that never, ever ended. I didn't love the character designs but the game is pretty enough so I think the art stuff is overblown.

WTF? Objectively? You're gonna have to justify such a bold claim, lol.

But yeah, truly hideous:

/s

-dust-and-fidget-from-the-game-dust-an-elysian-tail-1920x1080.jpg

dustaet5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Tell me that's pretty. Or even ok. I dare you.
As I said in my post, when zoomed out, it actually works well and looks surprisingly nice, but I have no words for those character portraits. I never thought I'd see something of this level in a game I care. Not that it made any difference in my enjoyment of the game either.

Maybe my standards are a bit high, due to previously dating someone who worked in professional animation? I dunno.

TI82

Banned
-dust-and-fidget-from-the-game-dust-an-elysian-tail-1920x1080.jpg

dustaet5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Tell me that's pretty. Or even ok. I dare you.
As I said in my post, when zoomed out, it actually works well and looks surprisingly nice, but I have no words for those character portraits. I never thought I'd see something of this level in a game I care. Not that it made any difference in my enjoyment of the game either.

Maybe my standards are a bit high, due to previously dating someone who worked in professional animation? I dunno.

God, its like crap that was scraped from the neopets cutting room floor.

They're okay. Maybe even pretty.

They're certainly not objectively ugly. To say any opinion is objective fact is just conceited.

Not really; the problem is not opinion, but quality. Perspective is very off, and doesn't follow any kind of pattern, nor brings any sense of attempt to play with the concept. The lines don't match with the way the cloth moves, and it seems to move in wildly varying ways, not presenting any kind of conformity. The shading doesn't make any sense: it doesn't portray shadows, nor the aforementioned perspective and hard lines. Colouring doesn't mesh well, screwing with perception and depth. Proportions are off.

This is not modern art. And, even if it were, it would be just bad art, as it isn't consistent at all. It is like smashing pans randomly and saying it is music. No, it is not, and that's because technique is part of what makes art, if we go through the perspective of Heidegger, which I believe is a reasonable one.

This feeling that I'm derailing the thread is kinda horrible, because I really, really liked the game, and it seems like I'm smacking it =/
But I've met many people that spent their whole lives studying and practicing drawing. Those people make a kickass job. I can't just give the same weight to what is in display here. It is unfair to people who give their blood to it and truly understand how to use the pen to represent whatever they want to represent in the best way possible.

In no way I would ever say or believe that these drawings are NOT objectively worse than anything done by, say, Elisa Kwon. Just, no.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think someone used the word "conceited". I am forced to agree. What a bunch of pretentious nonsense. Going even as far to say that it's "unfair to real artists" to not bash the art.... WTF?

TI82

Banned
Not really; the problem is not opinion, but quality. Perspective is very off, and doesn't follow any kind of pattern, nor brings any sense of attempt to play with the concept. The lines don't match with the way the cloth moves, and it seems to move in wildly varying ways, not presenting any kind of conformity. The shading doesn't make any sense: it doesn't portray shadows, nor the aforementioned perspective and hard lines. Colouring doesn't mesh well, screwing with perception and depth. Proportions are off.

This is not modern art. And, even if it were, it would be just bad art, as it isn't consistent at all. It is like smashing pans randomly and saying it is music. No, it is not, and that's because technique is part of what makes art, if we go through the perspective of Heidegger, which I believe is a reasonable one.

This feeling that I'm derailing the thread is kinda horrible, because I really, really liked the game, and it seems like I'm smacking it =/
But I've met many people that spent their whole lives studying and practicing drawing. Those people make a kickass job. I can't just give the same weight to what is in display here. It is unfair to people who give their blood to it and truly understand how to use the pen to represent whatever they want to represent in the best way possible.

In no way I would ever say or believe that these drawings are NOT objectively worse than anything done by, say, Elisa Kwon. Just, no.

What's worse is that the guy is a professional artist, professional being subjective.

I think someone used the word "conceited". I am forced to agree. What a bunch of pretentious nonsense. Going even as far to say that it's "unfair to real artists" to not bash the art.... WTF?

I didn't say it was fair to bash the art. It is just not good, and it can be objectively analysed. And I just did it because I was asked to.

If you are going to qualify something, you have to have comparison standards, and there are plenty out there for drawing. Someone said it can't be qualified, I used pre-determined standards to say it can. I don't really care about standards that much, but as I used them to say it was objectively bad (and I said and reiterated that I still like it a lot), I had to use them to prove my point. I don't give a shit if it is objectively bad, though: as I said, again, I like it. But that might mean it is subjectively good, but not objectively.

It is simply a matter of wording that is growing out of proportion and out of topic.

The character sprite is pretty great, really nicely animated. The portrait stuff... yeah, not so much. Still, it's a pretty great game, and one guy basically did it by himself. You kind of have to respect that.

Why isn't it on Vita?

The character sprite is pretty great, really nicely animated. The portrait stuff... yeah, not so much. Still, it's a pretty great game, and one guy basically did it by himself. You kind of have to respect that.

Why isn't it on Vita?

The guy did an astounding job. The soundtrack on the last couple of levels is great *_*

The soundtrack was pretty much the only thing the lead dev had no hand in. I also never quite got to the end, yet - but I'll take your word for it.

The final level is all out great, trust me.
I hope there's a sequel where
we catch all the blades of Elysium, and each comes with a different fighting style
. That'd be dope.

Griss

I strongly enjoyed the game, and whoever made it did a great job. I just love any game with even the slightest hint of metroidvania to it, and dust felt really good to control. On top of that the backgrounds were gorgeous. That was enough for me to really enjoy it. My main complaint was that the thunderstorm feature was so broken that the fun combat eventually went by the wayside for dull (but still satisfying feeling) aerial madness.

I will say, however, that there's just no defending the portraits. The main bad guy's portrait art made me laugh every time I saw it. It was cringeworthy. The 'twist' was just as bad, and had me in stitches. And yes, I would consider this game
furry.

Grisby

Heck of a game. I didn't care for the portrait art but the regular art was great. Gameplay was swift and fun and the story was entertaining.

Need to go back for a second trip.

Top Bottom