• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dust: an Elysian Tail

Maybe despite the constant whining that it's furry art, it was never intended to be furry art?

The guy did a shitload of work developing and animating his own artstyle, and whether or not it's to my taste doesn't change how much I respect the effort.

Whether or not it's furry artstyle, it's completely repulsive and (along with the voice acting) turned me off from playing the game more than an hour.

This furry business was precisely what I had in mind when I made the thread.

How does this work? Do I need to state I am not one of those guys if I talk about the game?

I'm sorry but I'm a bit annoyed and surprised. To me this was a nostalgic trip to my childhood. I quess if you haven't grown up with cartoon characters like these you can't see it. Like, if I'd show a screenshot to some of my friends, none of them would think furries, or even know what the term means.

Fireblend

Banned
Amazing, amazing game. I loved everything about it; music, gameplay, story, characters... screw the people who hated the artstyle, I can't think of any I would have rather played the game with.

This furry business was precisely what I had in mind when I made the thread.

How does this work? Do I need to state I am not one of those guys if I talk about the game?

I'm sorry but I'm a bit annoyed and surprised. To me this was a nostalgic trip to my childhood. I quess if you haven't grown up with cartoon characters like these you can't see it. Like, if I'd show a screenshot to some of my friends, none of them would think furries, or even know what the term means.

Yeah I didn't see anything creepy about it. The Internet has made people see creepy things. I watched Thundecats as a kid but now that would be dismissed as creepy.

My opinion is still unchanged on the game... It's a great concept marred by it's artstyle and the simple fact that it gets really repetitive really fast. I originally thought it was me coming off of Muramasa which lead me to think that... but even ages later, it's still really hard to play continually.

Fbh

I've been playing a bit of this and despite the fact that I'm not a fan of the furry look, it's pretty enjoyable. I specially like the combat system, it's fast, fluid and looks great.

I just wish they didn't focus so much on the story and just went for a more traditional "metroidvania" formula. I arrived at some time and now I'm suddently asked to do all sorts of boring fetch quests which I don't care about.
Does anyone know if I will miss many locations/items/levels by simply ingoring the optional stuff and focusing on the main story?

ShapeGSX

With all due respect to noogy but Fidget (and the dialog in general) was unbearable. The game itself is pretty decent though.

Fidget was the best part of the game (well, besides the combat, and art style and... ok, I still really liked Fidget). And hilarious at Noogy's PAX East panel. :D

I really enjoyed the game overall. Like others I wish the combat were deeper and that some of the attacks weren't so exploitable. The problem I had with the story was that it seemed to be poking fun at itself early on, but then started taking itself seriously at the end. I'll almost definitely be playing Noogy's next game.

TheWriter

I platinumed and loved it and even really liked Fidgets voice acting, but gameplay wise Fidgets moves broke the game. Aside from starting the combo, I never used Dust that much, just blasted the whole screen with Fidgets homing missiles and firebombs.

People really blow the furry stuff out of proportion, especially since its artstyle - aside from the talk screens - appeals to me much more than pixel indie projects.

Krecik

Oh, I love this game. It's one of the few games I bothered to finish >100%.

The combat system is really quite simple, but it feels and looks amazing. You can basically turn into a drill that will pierce the heavens and score sick combos. And you can destroy an airship by piledrving. I'm not certain you can piledrive the actual airship, that part of the game was pretty chaotic. There was a lot of airships and a lot of piledriving, explosions happened.

And about the whole furry thing... I don't really care. The characters can be a group of sentient rubbish bins as long as the gameplay is fun and engaging.

Last, but not least - how can you hate a merchant that will buy it for a high price?

Does anyone know if I will miss many locations/items/levels by simply ingoring the optional stuff and focusing on the main story?

It's been a minute since I played the game, but I remember the merchant offers the essentials. I had to put in work for the best gear.

Chrozi

Neo Member
my mom had an orange and white cat named Fidget that looked just like Fidget! Sadly, moms Fidget got eaten by something in the woods. Either a Coyote or Fisher Cat.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually beat that a few days ago. I think it's a solid game, and the fact that it's made by one person (other than the music, which was also pretty good) is really, really impressive.

Sure, combat was a bit repetitive, but it was more than serviceable, and the Metroidvania abilities didn't go that deep, but it still had a few cool secrets, and good gods that art... stunning. Not the characters -- not a fan of the Disney-like anthropomorphic animals (or, for those dirtier minds, the "furry" look :p) -- but the backgrounds were legit jaw-dropping. The artist is clearly very talented.

Fidget was legit annoying, though. Sorry Noogy :p don't know what you were thinking, especially with that super-squeaky voice. There were a few times where her lines were mildly funny (the Castlevania 2 reference where she says "that didn't make any sense!" got a chuckle out of me, for instance), but for the most part it's not cute or funny, it's just really grating.

The last boss was bit underwhelming, too, which is too bad. A game like this could have used more giant awesome badass bosses. For those complaining that it's too easy, have you played on Hard? It's not a very hard game even on Hard but it's still a decent challenge, though once you start stacking regen accessories and health consumables are no longer an issue, you get a bit OP. Near the end I had tons of those in my inventory and almost never needed them, but the early to mid-game on Hard was decently challenging.

Anyway, it was a fun game and one of the few PS+ games I played to completion and I think it's definitely one of the better indie games I've played. Congrats to Noogy for a very impressive solo effort.

This is one of those few games that I wish there was a no-story mode you could turn on.
You could skip all of the cut scenes, at least.

AndyD

aka andydumi
the game is impressive, and only becomes more impressive when you try to make one of these friggin things yourself.

and there's a decent chance he's seeing this. NOOGY I SUMMON YOU

Really? That's awesome. Very much enjoyed the game.

SerTapTap

*ctrl f "furr"*
Ah, there it is.

I hope you don't discount the game's gameplay entirely. I can understand appreciating the cartoony style, but I found the game pretty fun to play and wander around in too. My only complaint is the map, makes it a bit hard to tell why you abandoned trying to access an area. But good Metroidvania maps are hard. Background art is great too. Extremely impressive for a one(?) person game.

Combat's pretty fun, I love that move where you use the spinny attack on Fidget's little spark ball. It's not super deep but Metroidvanias are rarely all about the combat. Also mysterious wall chicken is the best.

petran79

Banned
I am more eager to watch the animated movie, currently on hold. From the few photos it looked decent. Though it wont be related to the game but will take place in the same world.

It is funny that this thread came up. I started playing it over the weekend. I was looking for some light hearted games and picked this one for my PS4. I am 2 chapters in. I am in love with this game. The characters are so adorable esp Fidget, I have no issues with voice acting. Story is decent. RPG elements are cool. Game play is simple. If this is really a 1 man effort, I salute the game creator. I am looking forward to finish this game.

This kind of mirrors my experience.

I had started and only played for about 30 minutes previously, since it was a PS+ game, but put in a some time again on Saturday until I got to the 1st village where you get multiple quests. I decided to stop there, but I could see myself playing more of it.

I gave it another shot because I was able to clear out some of my backlog and was looking for something short and fun.

TI82

Banned
Are you sure you are the one who's insecure?

Maybe despite the constant whining that it's furry art, it was never intended to be furry art?

The guy did a shitload of work developing and animating his own artstyle, and whether or not it's to my taste doesn't change how much I respect the effort.

I remember around launch the creators deviant art page was posted and it was full of furry art. I think its safe to assume it was intended as a furry game.

Hell, the little annoying bat thing has boobs.

Alec

Weird, I start playing this just last week for the first time when I was super bored and had nothing else to play.

During the first half hour or so, my wife and I were both like "wtf is this furry shit". But after a little while longer, I couldn't put it down. The gameplay is so good. I was hooked. I'm going to try and finish up the Platinum on it tonight.

The story was fine. I have quite a few ideas on how it could've been improved, but it's whatever. Every time there was a cutscene or someone spoke, my wife was like "oh my God please turn this shit off". But the game itself was just too good to put down.

Serviam

Hey, Noogy, I'll reiterate:

Dust was awesome.

'Nuff said.

I second that. A nice throwback to games of yore with stunning artwork and fun gameplay. I 100% it because I love finding all stuff in metroidvanias. Will buy a sequel day one if there ever is one. Great job Noogy!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Fooled me, then. Given that all the character designs I've looked up appear to be humanoid animal people that perfectly fit that definition.

I didn't even say I liked or disliked it because of that, I implied I haven't played it because the art looks so amateur it hurts the rest of the game. I don't care how good the game plays, if it looks like DeviantArt Fan Character: The Game, it's going to be a bad time.

Not all humanoid animals are furries. See: a million cartoon characters throughout history, Disney movies, and so forth.

Just because a subculture emerged that wants to fuck Donald Duck doesn't make him a furry.

I remember around launch the creators deviant art page was posted and it was full of furry art. I think its safe to assume it was intended as a furry game.

Hell, the little annoying bat thing has boobs.

I guess I'm just not clear on the delineations in the furry genre. Is it only sexualized humanoid animals, with muscles or tits, or is it any representation of an animal creature that walks on two legs? I want to believe there is a nonsexual strain of humanoid animal art. Do people still jack off to the characters without overt sexual characteristics?

(Yeah, the bat thing did kind of have boobs. I didn't like her at all, but I still didn't read her as sexual in any way.)

Alec

Not all humanoid animals are furries. See: a million cartoon characters throughout history, Disney movies, and so forth.

Just because a subculture emerged that wants to fuck Donald Duck doesn't make him a furry.

The Australian guy with the big ears definitely gave me Disney vibes.

But Fidget has boobs. :-\ Although I did really like some of her dialogue.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Australian guy with the big ears definitely gave me Disney vibes.

But Fidget has boobs. :-\ Although I did really like some of her dialogue.

Funny thing there; apparently Fidget doesn't have actual boobs. Her hovering animation involves the forepaws being held up together, which a number of people apparently thought where huge breasts.

I believe when the paws are down, Fidget just has a fox-like tuft of bushy fur from the neck down covering the chest.

Alec

Funny thing there; apparently Fidget doesn't have actual boobs. Her hovering animation involves the forepaws being held up together, which a number of people apparently thought where huge breasts.

I believe when the paws are down, Fidget just has a fox-like tuft of bushy fur from the neck down covering the chest.

Eh...I mean, there's no cleavage, but...

Dust-An-Elysian-Tail-Fidget.jpg

Kai Dracon

Eh...I mean, there's no cleavage, but...

It's a big puff of fur; there's even ragged fur under the bottom edge of it. Of course, it's supposed to be a girl and the chest is round.

Lola from Space Jam has a female upper body too.

TI82

Banned

I guess I'm just not clear on the delineations in the furry genre. Is it only sexualized humanoid animals, with muscles or tits, or is it any representation of an animal creature that walks on two legs? I want to believe there is a nonsexual strain of humanoid animal art. Do people still jack off to the characters without overt sexual characteristics?

(Yeah, the bat thing did kind of have boobs. I didn't like her at all, but I still didn't read her as sexual in any way.)

To me, furrys are (generally) humanoid animals with very sexualized looks. This can be muscles, boobs, or even Human sexual parts. Usually involving wolfs, tigers, panthers, etc. Not sure why.

I'd post examples but I really, REALLY do not want to load up any of that crap.

And yes there are examples of non-furry animal art. Things like Ninja Turtles are 100% not intended as furry at all. Or King from Summer Wars.

Now this doesn't mean that twisted furrys Dont take these things and create new furry art with them. Since they are awful they love to ruin things :/

Kai Dracon

Are we...disagreeing? I can't tell.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. Noogy even has his own entry on WikiFur: http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Dean_Dodrill

Nothing to be ashamed about. Dust is still a great game.

I just think it's weird that people fixate on things like female cartoon characters having female features, regardless of whether it's a human character or a talking rabbit. Or whatever Fidget is.

At a certain point it does begin to feel a bit paranoid, as if many people allow the existence of something like the furry fandom to affect their perspective too much.

TI82

Banned
His super move would be squid, squid, and more squid. And then you get crushed by a falling boat.

Lol. Okay last off topic post but a Summer Wars fighting game would be so funny. Round 1 you play as the people IRL, then second round you play as them in the actual game world with the avatars.

Obviously allow options to play as just avatars or just humans. And allow for CUSTOM CHARACTERS!!!

You honestly don't know what a Furry is?

How could you take this comment from me...

What on earth does insecurity have to do with this purely aesthetic preference?

...and extrapolate that I don't know what a furry is? Sheesh. I asked what not liking furry art has to do with insecurity, when it's nothing more than an aesthetic preference.

As for Dust, I'll go back to it someday, but I didn't like the story/characters and the gameplay didn't do much for me either. Just not my bag. Great achievement though. Runs incredibly well on PC, too.

I asked what not liking furry art has to do with insecurity, when it's nothing more than an aesthetic preference.

The stigma around Furries is huge, It has everything to do with insecurity. "They draw furry art/dress up like animals, therefore it is different and threatens my worldview!"

SerTapTap

Fidget was the best part of the game (well, besides the combat, and art style and... ok, I still really liked Fidget). And hilarious at Noogy's PAX East panel. :D

I forgot about Fidget! I love fidget. "Ah, he'll buy it at a high price!". I can see why she's controversial like Claptrap but I think she's a great injection of fun into the dialog.

Or whatever Fidget is.

She's a nimbat! Which is some sort of cat bat rabbit abomination that's cute as the dickens.

The stigma around Furries is huge, It has everything to do with insecurity. "They draw furry art/dress up like animals, therefore it is different and threatens my worldview!"

Heck, I got no problem with furries. Go nuts, it's your lives. I just don't care for the art, quite a few people don't. I disagree that it's necessarily a prejudice thing.

The art is objectively very, very ugly, but it fits together in a strangely nice way. The lighting and contrast, and the way characters separate themselves from the background, and the simple outlines when zoomed out just... work.

And the voice acting, albeit similar to Saturday morning cartoons - horrible - at first glance, is very consistent and shows a surprising range. The characters make sense in the universe, and it helps that the story is not garbage. Story that actually supports gameplay.

Even with some minor gripes with combat, simple gameplay system and some dumb backtracking, I had a much, much better time than I hoped with the game. The ending is particularly special - much better than many of the last games I've played. Cliche, sure, but not tastelessly so. It even ends up being emotional.

Really, this game was a very nice surprise for me. I'd recommend everyone who got it through plus to give it a try, if combat mildly interests you.

ShapeGSX

If you would like to see noogy's (Dean's) absolutely incredible PAX East 2013 panel on the making of Dust, here is a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTx4st4yG9k

It's a bit shakey, unfortunately.

The amazing part is that rather than use Powerpoint, Dean coded the entire presentation within Dust's engine, with Fidget doing a bit of the presenting. It was very entertaining and informative, not to mention imaginative. Go watch it.

My son and I saw it in person, and it was one of the highlights of PAX that year for me.

VanEpoch

Neo Member
The art is objectively very, very ugly, but it fits together in a strangely nice way. The lighting and contrast, and the way characters separate themselves from the background, and the simple outlines when zoomed out just... work.

And the voice acting, albeit similar to Saturday morning cartoons - horrible - at first glance, is very consistent and shows a surprising range. The characters make sense in the universe, and it helps that the story is not garbage. Story that actually supports gameplay.

Even with some minor gripes with combat, simple gameplay system and some dumb backtracking, I had a much, much better time than I hoped with the game. The ending is particularly special - much better than many of the last games I've played. Cliche, sure, but not tastelessly so. It even ends up being emotional.

Really, this game was a very nice surprise for me. I'd recommend everyone who got it through plus to give it a try, if combat mildly interests you.

Nonsense.

Top Bottom