• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

chogidogs

Tried this game back in the day for thr ps1. Got stuck when summoners were introduced cause I was underleveled. Gave up shortly afterwards.

Picked this up for my phone last month and beat it after 80 hours! Awesome game! Too bad I don't feel the need to go do the end game stuff anymore. Wasn't able to reach the best classes like the Dark Knight.

Started this thing when I was 14 and got to the infamous
Wiegraf battle without any rubber shoes
and got so frustrated that I didn't beat it until my freshman year of college.

I watched some people finish the new revisions on stream a few months ago and was reminded of how much I love this game. Such an amazing soundtrack.

Memorize this list.

Have some people go straight for Black and White mages.
All of your physical attckers should go straight for ninja and samurai.

Switch back to monk once you have dual weapon ability. i pretty much ran with 4 monks 1 calc and orlandu at the end of the game.

I also beat the game with just ramza.

Squire None
Knight Lv. 2 Squire
Archer Lv. 2 Squire
Monk Lv. 2 Knight
Thief Lv. 2 Archer
Geomancer Lv. 3 Monk
Lancer Lv. 3 Thief
Dancer (females only) Lv. 4 Geomancer, Lv. 4 Lancer

Chemist None
Priest Lv. 2 Chemist
Wizard Lv. 2 Chemist
Oracle Lv. 2 Priest
Time Mage Lv. 2 Wizard
Mediator Lv. 2 Oracle
Summoner Lv. 2 Time Mage
Bard (males only) Lv. 4 Mediator, Lv. 4 Summoner

Samurai Lv. 3 Knight, Lv. 4 Monk, Lv. 2 Lancer
Ninja Lv. 3 Archer, Lv. 4 Thief, Lv. 2 Geomancer
Calculator Lv. 4 Priest, Lv. 4 Wizard, Lv. 3 Time Mage, Lv. 3 Oracle
Mime Lv. 8 Squire, Lv. 8 Chemist, Lv. 4 Geomancer, Lv. 4 Lancer,
Lv. 4 Mediator, Lv. 4 Summoner

top 10 games ever for me

Same, I love that game. Only have played the PS1 version, which I owned a system that had WOTL.

As for how to level Ramza, In multiple playthroughs think I've gone ninja, black mage, lancer, samurai, among others. As long as you level up his squire skills and get auto-potion for one especially brutal encounter, feel free to experiment imo.

One of my favorites games ever. Spent 100+ hours on this.

Hated the red chobobos, theres a random battle that have six of them.

My main gripe with TO is two fold: 1)not being able to see how my equipment effects my stats before buying it and 2) switching job class reverts you back to level 1 which was a pain in the ass when I was fighting dragons in Chptr 3.

Mory Dunz

So...FF Tactics Advance and Tactics A2 are just about my 2 favorite handheld games. Like ever.

But the consensus is that they are horrible compared to War of the Lions? (Haven't played it.)

Mind you, I've noticed that I don't really care about the story, which explains why I still like KH. But anyway, is War of the Lions really that much better than the Tactics Advance games?

Am I a fool for not playing it?

My main gripe with TO is two fold: 1)not being able to see how my equipment effects my stats before buying it and 2) switching job class reverts you back to level 1 which was a pain in the ass when I was fighting dragons in Chptr 3.

Yeah, that wasn't in the first release, just the psp version. I don't remember if it's like that about weapons.

There were no class levels, just character levels.

urfe

All these strategies people are posting to me ruins the main source of fun of the game: figuring it all out.

When I figured out you could
auto-potion x-potions
, I was ecstatic.

Plus, I don't think any leveling up is necessary in the game. I remember the beginning has a difficult battle (when the enemy first gets black mages), but then tinkering with archers and your own black mages is fun to figure out how to do it. Besides that, I'd say there's only two very difficult battles, and by that point in the game, you've figured out the job system.

On each of my playthroughs, I use different jobs. My last playthrough I had tons of time mages and summoners. It was good fun.

It's such a horribly flawed game, and yet it's still my favourite game or all time. I'd say a sequel needs to be made, but I'm not sure if I trust Square Enix with that.

Grayman

One of my favourite games. The basic gameplay clicks with me enough that I can play random battles over and over again at the end of the game.

All these strategies people are posting to me ruins the main source of fun of the game: figuring it all out.

When I figured out you could
auto-potion x-potions
, I was ecstatic.

Plus, I don't think any leveling up is necessary in the game. I remember the beginning has a difficult battle (when the enemy first gets black mages), but then tinkering with archers and your own black mages is fun to figure out how to do it. Besides that, I'd say there's only two very difficult battles, and by that point in the game, you've figured out the job system.

On each of my playthroughs, I use different jobs. My last playthrough I had tons of time mages and summoners. It was good fun.

It's such a horribly flawed game, and yet it's still my favourite game or all time. I'd say a sequel needs to be made, but I'm not sure if I trust Square Enix with that.

I think a little leveling is required before Dorter and a few other tough fights if jp was not spent optimally.

Sielys

See, this kind of stuff, I have no idea what I should be making my characters learn! Oh well, I'll just jump in head first then.

Everyone mentioning Tactics Advance, I also played the hell out of that game!

Just get a Calculator with strong black magic, then you'll just stomp every fight.

Victrix

*beard*
Seeing people praise A1 and A2 and complain FFT is too hard or isn't fun makes me feel old and grouchy :<

Matsuno, make another game, Tactics Ogre remake owned. Someone fund his next opus. Japanese Kickstarter!

... I wish

Grayman

Seeing people praise A1 and A2 and complain FFT is too hard or isn't fun makes me feel old and grouchy :<

Matsuno, make another game, Tactics Ogre remake owned. Someone fund his next opus. Japanese Kickstarter!

... I wish

I thought I was in crazytown when a few people in the thread liked Tactics advance. I haven't played Advance 2 but advance is a terrible game compared to Tactics.

Petrie

Banned
I thought I was in crazytown when a few people in the thread liked Tactics advance. I haven't played Advance 2 but advance is a terrible game compared to Tactics.

The Law system or whatever it was ruined it for me, along with abilities being tied to items.

Chris FOM

FFT is one of those games I've always meant to play but never have. What's the best version? PSP version played on a Vita, iPhone, or iPad?

Last time I played this game I had a great time with 3 dancers in my party always doing the Nameless Dance. I basically went around and destroyed poisoned, sleeping frogs.

gate777

So...FF Tactics Advance and Tactics A2 are just about my 2 favorite handheld games. Like ever.

But the consensus is that they are horrible compared to War of the Lions? (Haven't played it.)

Mind you, I've noticed that I don't really care about the story, which explains why I still like KH. But anyway, is War of the Lions really that much better than the Tactics Advance games?

I couldn't say if they're horrible, but they're completely different in atmosphere. I am a veteran of FFT and when I tried playing advance it felt like I went from being a Captain of the Knights of Ivalice to an elementary student. Completely turned me off and I never considered it again, nor A2.

A FFT sequel for the vita would be excellent. Do it SONY!

Petrie

Banned
I couldn't say if they're horrible, but they're completely different in atmosphere. I am a veteran of FFT and when I tried playing advance it felt like I went from being a Captain of the Knights of Ivalice to an elementary student. Completely turned me off and I never considered it again, nor A2.

A FFT sequel for the vita would be excellent. Do it SONY!

I'd rather it be on a system where it can sell well and hopefully be reborn as a franchise.

Seda

Definitely one of my favorite games. I just love SPRGs, and this one may be king.

I would love for a new Tactics or Tactics Advance. VERY different games but both excellent in their own way.

kswiston

Tactics Advance is ok if you are not expecting Tactics 2 (which it sort of was billed as at the time). I agree that it is not up to par though. Tactics A2 is much better than Tactics Advance. I still prefer the regular Tactics job system over learning skills from weapons though. Yes, it is easier to break Final Fantasy Tactics (you can be level 99 after the third story battle if you wanted to grind Mandalia Plains for 10 hours) but that is sort of half the fun.

I also beat the game with just ramza.

Squire None
Knight Lv. 2 Squire
Archer Lv. 2 Squire
Monk Lv. 2 Knight
Thief Lv. 2 Archer
Geomancer Lv. 3 Monk
Lancer Lv. 3 Thief
Dancer (females only) Lv. 4 Geomancer, Lv. 4 Lancer

Chemist None
Priest Lv. 2 Chemist
Wizard Lv. 2 Chemist
Oracle Lv. 2 Priest
Time Mage Lv. 2 Wizard
Mediator Lv. 2 Oracle
Summoner Lv. 2 Time Mage
Bard (males only) Lv. 4 Mediator, Lv. 4 Summoner

Samurai Lv. 3 Knight, Lv. 4 Monk, Lv. 2 Lancer
Ninja Lv. 3 Archer, Lv. 4 Thief, Lv. 2 Geomancer
Calculator Lv. 4 Priest, Lv. 4 Wizard, Lv. 3 Time Mage, Lv. 3 Oracle
Mime Lv. 8 Squire, Lv. 8 Chemist, Lv. 4 Geomancer, Lv. 4 Lancer,
Lv. 4 Mediator, Lv. 4 Summoner

This list only works for the PS1 version. The PSP revision has higher job prerequisites (Ninja is 4 archer, 5 thief, 2 Geomancer for instance), and some of the skill JP costs have been raised. The actual battles may be slightly harder, but it's been so long since I played the original that I can't tell.

Grayman

Tactics Advance is ok if you are not expecting Tactics 2 (which it sort of was billed as at the time). I agree that it is not up to par though. Tactics A2 is much better than Tactics Advance. I still prefer the regular Tactics job system over learning skills from weapons though. Yes, it is easier to break Final Fantasy Tactics (you can be level 99 after the third story battle if you wanted to grind Mandalia Plains for 10 hours) but that is sort of half the fun.

This list only works for the PS1 version. The PSP revision has higher job prerequisites (Ninja is 4 archer, 5 thief, 2 Geomancer for instance), and some of the skill JP costs have been raised. The actual battles may be slightly harder, but it's been so long since I played the original that I can't tell.

It has been several years since I played advance on the gba but I remember it having a large dumbed down feeling like the removal of facing directions. I actually did put a good amount of hours into it while I played mmos. I didn't have my own DS so I have not tried advance 2.

Victrix

*beard*
It has been several years since I played advance on the gba but I remember it having a large dumbed down feeling like the removal of facing directions. I actually did put a good amount of hours into it while I played mmos. I didn't have my own DS so I have not tried advance 2.

Taken on its own merits, A2 is a fun enough game. If you remove any thoughts of FFT, TO, Matsuno, or really great dialogue from your mind, it's a charming srpg.

My biggest gripe with it is that even on 'hard', it's still really easy. But if that doesn't bother you, it has tons of missions and tons of classes and abilities to play with.

But seeing people who have only played A1/A2 and never FFT or TO makes me a sad, sad old panda.

Seda

Unless I'm not understanding, FFTA had the typical facing direction aspect to gameplay, where accuracy is raised when attacking the back, etc.

I have this GOD TIER soundtrack in my headphones now. Thank you, OP.

I think I played this hundreds of hours in 1998 (was between jobs at the time, living at home going to school with L I T T L E M O N E Y). Sparked off my raging infatutation with Matsuno's work, which continues to this day. I think I went Lancer-SuperSquire for Ramza first time before tinkering around with Ninja.

In a better world there's an HD sequel to Tactics made by Matsuno.

And a completed Ogre Battle Saga.

And an uncompromised FFXII. We don't live in that world, however...

Anno

Probably my favorite game from the day it launched until the day I downloaded the Tactics Ogre: LUCT remake. I wish I could experience it for the first time again.

Mikey Jr.

Also, there is a part in the game where there are a few battles back to back, with the possibility of completely fucking up your entire progress if you don't have 2 saves.

sega4ever

amazing game, stands a titan above advance 1 and 2. i rank tactics ogre above it only due to the job system of fft too easy to break in half.

Snakeyes

Story-wise, FFT is head and shoulders above Advance (which still had a pretty neat moral to it) and especially Advance 2 (borderline insulting).

In terms of gameplay though, they're about even in my opinion. The classes in the portable games are much more balanced, there are more abilities and the weapon skill system is better (or at least harder to abuse) than JP. I'd even say that a mix of TA2's mechanics with Matsuno's writing would be a better game than the original Tactics.

Besides the judges. Fuck those dudes.

Wow they're so old there is no date added for them on the FAQ page.

Yeah, happens to a few of my other FAQs as well, including some for Einhander, the first Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon, and the Japanese Xenogears one I co-wrote with Kao Megura.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Weltall_Zero/contributions/faqs

It kind of sucks actually, as I myself often have no idea when I wrote them. Also, this was before we all adopted Kao Megura's convention of putting release dates in the revision history.

Mxrz

Just curious, which game is usually regarded higher? Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre?

FFT probably has more fans, but I think TO is superior. Better plot. Better challenge. Better maps and all that. I always found it to be easier to replay since there's no job point grind.

Anyway, if you're having trouble early, grind out Auto-Potion. That carries you up until Chapter 4 and then Ramza and Cid obliterate everything.

Big-E

I started WOTL for the first time a couple of weeks ago as well. However I have beaten the original version a bunch of times.

Final Fantasy Tactics is more difficult than either of the Advance versions, however it is far from possible. You do need to come up with more advanced strategies than, "charge all your high level characters into the middle of the battle" though.

Some newbie tips:

Every character should spend time as a Squire and a Chemist at the beginning of the game. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is changing your party members into knights, mages, etc too early.

Squires have some of the most useful abilities in the game:
- Your first priority should be learning Focus. EVERY CHARACTER should learn focus. It boosts your attack by 1, and allows your members to earn exp and JP on turns where they are unable to attack or cast spells. Sitting back and letting the enemy come to you while you cast focus a couple of times will make your team a lot stronger regardless of their level (note that this strategy doesn't apply to maps where black mages/summoners/or archers start close to your party). When I finally promote my units to more advanced classes, I often equip the squire skills as their secondary job skill type since focus is so useful.
- After Focus, your next priority should be learning JP boost. jp boost will give you something like 1.5x the JP from every action. At the highest levels, this results in over 40 JP per turn and is crucial to mastering the magic classes, which often require 6000-9000 JP to learn every skill. Every character you have should have JP boost equiped at all times. At least until the later portions of the game. The only exception to this is with Ninjas. I find that equip sword, and the attack boost it gives you (especially before ninja blades are available to buy) is worth earning less JP.
- Early in the game Move +1 and Counter Tackle (or whatever it is called) are useful skills, but they are superceded by Thief and Monk skills later on.

Chemists are the only class that can throw items without equiping a skill. They also have a very useful counter skill.
- All support and magic characters should have auto potion. Auto potion gives your character a chance to consume a potion every time they are attacked. In the original Final Fantasy Tactics, I think you need to learn how to use potions, hi-potions and x-potions before they were available as auto potions, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. You may want to choose counter attack over auto potion for your armored classes that can take a few hits, but auto-potion is a lifesaver for squishy units. One last thing. I believe that your units will use whatever is the lowest powered potion in your inventory when activating the auto potion skill, so sell off all of your regular potions when you can afford hi-potions (and those hi-potions when x-potions are available).

Don't restrict characters to a single class. It is better to learn the best skills from several classes, then spending the time mastering them all. You only need to level the secondary classes (White Mage, Black Mage, Knight, and Archer) to level 3-5 to unlock advance classes that use them as a pre-requisite (the exception being Dark Knights that require a masted Knight and Black Mage job, and are really an endgame goal). EDIT: I wanted to mention that it IS worth mastering black and white mages. Just not necessarily right off the bat.

Make Ramza a super hero. If you underlevel Ramza, you are going to have serious problems beating several maps. I typically make my Ramza a Ninja, with equip sword (knight skill that you should get in the process of unlocking monks), ignore height (dragoon skill), and auto potion. Ramza has additional Squire skills that unlock as the game progresses, so Squire abilities are a useful secondary skill set for him.

Good advice. Also remember that bravery affects the percentage for counters so make sure bravery is up for units with autopotion or they will get fucked. Also, if you want a beefy unit, lower the faith of them so they take less magic damage. Lowering and increasing bravery and faith can be done by a mediator and bravery can be raised by Ramza IIRC in later chapters. Mediators permanently raise bravery by one and will increase it for the battle by 5. Takes time but it will pay off.

For some reason the job system really intimidates me, usually I love job systems, but it just seems like this game has way to much to think about for every single character.

That's one of the things I hate the most about this game: too much micro-management. With the jobs, skills and equipment, it's far too much. It's that and the random battles that drive me nuts.

But seeing people who have only played A1/A2 and never FFT or TO makes me a sad, sad old panda.

I'm one of those people. But after reading Kswiston's beginners tips today and spending a long while reading the in-game manual last night I think I seriously want to give the game another go. I've also got Tactics Ogre sitting next to it on my Vita screen (with Vagrant story next to that lol) waiting to play afterwards if the Tactics hooks really get me.

I've waited too long to play these games I think. I find Matsuno games to be utterly fascinating, but daunting. I always start them, play a few hours, and quit in the end out of frustration. Hope this time I can enjoy myself and really put in the time learn the ropes for real.

jaxword

The best part about FFT is reading the debates over the ending and then seeing people get totally, utterly, proven wrong.

Victrix

*beard*
I think the main thing about FFT (and this applies to all of Matsunos games really) is to just dig in and play

So much of what is there is just optional for you to have fun with if you like it, or ignore it if you don't

I've played through FFT using all different kinds of classes, abilities, party compositions. Sometimes monsters, sometimes not. Sometimes the best gear, sometimes stealing, sometimes not.

There's no 'wrong' way to do it, and because the game lets you grind, you can make it as hard or easy as you want.

Just make multiple saves :V

I used to be really addicted to the job system and leveling up. Then I guess I kind of got lazy after awhile.

I still love SRPGs, but I do feel more lazy about them. Haven't really got into Tactics Ogre like I had hoped. Still love the game though.

Kalamoj

I think the main thing about FFT (and this applies to all of Matsunos games really) is to just dig in and play

So much of what is there is just optional for you to have fun with if you like it, or ignore it if you don't

I've played through FFT using all different kinds of classes, abilities, party compositions. Sometimes monsters, sometimes not. Sometimes the best gear, sometimes stealing, sometimes not.

There's no 'wrong' way to do it, and because the game lets you grind, you can make it as hard or easy as you want.

Just make multiple saves :V

Well said. The game could be very easy if you want, just grind a few hours and that is it. And of course there is a certain character who single-handedly makes every battle a walk in the park.

jaxword

FFT is one of those games I've always meant to play but never have. What's the best version? PSP version played on a Vita, iPhone, or iPad?

PSP version is the superior version in almost all ways. Be sure to get the Lag-fix patch if you need it.

Fou-Lu

So it has been a while, here I was visiting my parents during the holidays with nothing to really do, I picked up my Vita and realized I hadn't finished FFT yet.

I'm absolutely loving the dark and desperate tone of the story, I wish I could see an FF game like this again.

I find that most of my party only holds Ramza back, but I suppose they do their duty as meat shields. Is it worth it to go for Dark Knight on Ramza? So far I've mastered Monk, Knight and Ninja on him and have Squire at level 8. And is there any way to check how many enemies a character has killed?

I'm really sad that I had to use the tailwind+focus exploit on the Wiegraf battle, but damn is that one ridiculous or what?

I'm now at the beginning of chapter 4 and just got Balthier, he's the first non-generic character I actually want to level up, recommendations for what abilities to get on him? I was thinking auto-potion, aim, move +2, then just keep him in Sky Pirate.

Top Bottom