• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gotham-Yo why didn't anyone tell me this show was raw

it's good! us Gotham fans been tryng to tell people it's good specially S2 onward but people can't get past the 1st season...yet they'll throw those CW DC hero's show at you(they're not bad but they have there moments that they'll criticize Gotham for)

LotusHD

Banned
it's good! us Gotham fans been tryng to tell people it's good specially S2 onward but people can't get past the 1st season...yet they'll throw those CW DC hero's show at you(they're not bad but they have there moments that they'll criticize Gotham for)

Meh, I dropped it during the 2nd season though.

As for the CW shows, I mean, they have their good seasons (Except Supergirl), but I would never push those shows on someone unless they already expressed interest to begin with, or if they clearly love all things comic book related.

Show is straight garbage

tumblr_inline_nw6htakdGK1qenu8a_400.gif

Best comic show on TV. When S2 started they stopped holding back and fully embraced the Gotham.

LionPride

Banned
Meh, I dropped it during the 2nd season though.

As for the CW shows, I mean, they have their good seasons (Except Supergirl), but I would never push those shows on someone unless they already expressed interest to begin with, or if they clearly love all things comic book related.
Honestly

Gotham people tryna push this shit like it's actually good, like it's SHIELD or Legion or some shit

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The penthouse is Barbara's. Her family is rich.

The Barbara who becomes Batgirl is Jim's niece through marriage, named after his first wife. He adopts her when her biological parents die.

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Luigi87

Gotham is a very enjoyable show, and I really like the way the took the show in seasons 2 and 3.

That being said, since the OP is enjoying season 1, I personally wonder if will keep enjoying it in seasons 2 and 3. The series shifts from being a police procedural into something quite different.

Jag

Gotham people tryna push this shit like it's actually good, like it's SHIELD or Legion or some shit

SHIELD was shit at the beginning, but it got better. Gotham blows away anything on the CW. Legion is light years ahead of any other comic show on TV right now.

Legion > Gotham > SHIELD > CW

Gotham is a very enjoyable show, and I really like the way the took the show in seasons 2 and 3.

That being said, since the OP is enjoying season 1, I personally wonder if will keep enjoying it in seasons 2 and 3. The series shifts from being a police procedural into something quite different.

Im almost done with S1 and will probably do a write up review

Other than cringey moments Im enjoying it.

I'm dozens of episodes behind but I love this goofy ass show. One of my favorite depictions of Gotham. What a wonderful and excentric shithole, just like it always should be.

The production value of the show alone is amazing.

I actually like the cheesy and serious tone, its straight Burton Batman but slightly more real world.

LionPride

Banned
SHIELD was shit at the beginning, but it got better. Gotham blows away anything on the CW. Legion is light years ahead of any other comic show on TV right now.

Legion > Gotham > SHIELD > CW
Nope

I won't rank a show with one season above something with multiple

So

For me

SHIELD > Arrow > literally everything else at this point

Let Legion have that success for another season then we'll talk

____

I only watch scenes that have Bruce, Alfred, or Selina. It makes me happy. I live for those father and son moments between Bruce and Alfred. And so far this is my favorite live action Bruce.

Although I haven't seen anything of the third season.

Boy o' boy, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you watch it.

So I just finished Season 1. I dug it.

I enjoyed the focus on Jim and the antics in the city. On the gang wars and all that. That stuff was great. Having Penguin there was great, because during Batmans time Penguin is pretty much, the only worthwhile Gangster in town. He's a fun character. Yeah he has a know it all tendency, but really it makes sense. He loves info. So it figures he has his tentacles all over the city.

I hated the opening. LOOK IT'S CATWOMAN SHE'S A THIEF OH SHE RAN INTO BRUCE AND HIS FAMILY IN THE ALLEYWAY IT'S ALL CONNECTED. That part was cringey. Then they introduced Ivy and and it's like 'Oh great it's the Gotham Kids'. They weaned off that though and focused more on the gangs with the villain of the week here and there. The relationship between Barbara and Gordon kinda sucked, but when the doctor came in it was much better. They seemed to be better fits.

Oh and the Selena Kyle/Bruce relationship. That stuff was cringey. 'HAVE YOU EVER KISSED A GIRL? YOU CAN KISS ME IF YOU HIT ME!'. It's like holy shit the sexual tension was through the roof FOR 10 YEAR OLDS. WHAT THE FUCK. Alfred was cool though. He actually has character and isn't just a butler.

Maroni, Falcone, and Fish are all great characters. Their story is interesting, because it's weaved through almost every single episode. Either a new development or something happening, even with the villain of a week episodes, there's always something interleaved. But there's strange cuts here and there. Like, in the last episode, there's a strange cut of Bruce and Alfred, they say two lines, and then it goes back to the main plot. It's like a whole 5 seconds and I'm like 'really'. That isn't the first cut like this, but it's the one that just happened so I remember the most clear.

Some of the lamer stuff mostly involves Catgirl. That stuff is more cringe than not. My favorite stuff is with Fish and Butch. They have a great dynamic. Then there's the Riddler and his weird ass obsession with Kringler. But it's a good subplot? It shows how obsessive the Riddler is. And how much of a creep he is. But his arc and devolution into madness is great. The actor who plays him is decent, like a creepier Jim Carrey.

I enjoyed the season. Lots of good small bits, lots of small character moments, there's cringier stuff here and there, but as far as a cut into the Gotham backstory, it came out better than I thought it could be when they first announced it. I would recommend it if you don't care for the comics or care for the 'continuity' of the characters themselves(IE BRUCE AND SELENA KYLE KNEW EACH OTHER FOREVER), and if you enjoy a good crime story, with inklings of Batman within it.

ZOONAMI

Aren't the seasons like 22 episodes each? And hour long? That shit is ridiculous. I couldn't really get into it. I like Gordon OC dude but that's about it.

Tamanon

Banned
So I just finished Season 1. I dug it.

I enjoyed the focus on Jim and the antics in the city. On the gang wars and all that. That stuff was great. Having Penguin there was great, because during Batmans time Penguin is pretty much, the only worthwhile Gangster in town. He's a fun character. Yeah he has a know it all tendency, but really it makes sense. He loves info. So it figures he has his tentacles all over the city.

I hated the opening. LOOK IT'S CATWOMAN SHE'S A THIEF OH SHE RAN INTO BRUCE AND HIS FAMILY IN THE ALLEYWAY IT'S ALL CONNECTED. That part was cringey. Then they introduced Ivy and and it's like 'Oh great it's the Gotham Kids'. They weaned off that though and focused more on the gangs with the villain of the week here and there. The relationship between Barbara and Gordon kinda sucked, but when the doctor came in it was much better. They seemed to be better fits.

Oh and the Selena Kyle/Bruce relationship. That stuff was cringey. 'HAVE YOU EVER KISSED A GIRL? YOU CAN KISS ME IF YOU HIT ME!'. It's like holy shit the sexual tension was through the roof FOR 10 YEAR OLDS. WHAT THE FUCK. Alfred was cool though. He actually has character and isn't just a butler.

Maroni, Falcone, and Fish are all great characters. Their story is interesting, because it's weaved through almost every single episode. Either a new development or something happening, even with the villain of a week episodes, there's always something interleaved. But there's strange cuts here and there. Like, in the last episode, there's a strange cut of Bruce and Alfred, they say two lines, and then it goes back to the main plot. It's like a whole 5 seconds and I'm like 'really'. That isn't the first cut like this, but it's the one that just happened so I remember the most clear.

Some of the lamer stuff mostly involves Catgirl. That stuff is more cringe than not. My favorite stuff is with Fish and Butch. They have a great dynamic. Then there's the Riddler and his weird ass obsession with Kringler. But it's a good subplot? It shows how obsessive the Riddler is. And how much of a creep he is. But his arc and devolution into madness is great. The actor who plays him is decent, like a creepier Jim Carrey.

I enjoyed the season. Lots of good small bits, lots of small character moments, there's cringier stuff here and there, but as far as a cut into the Gotham backstory, it came out better than I thought it could be when they first announced it. I would recommend it if you don't care for the comics or care for the 'continuity' of the characters themselves(IE BRUCE AND SELENA KYLE KNEW EACH OTHER FOREVER), and if you enjoy a good crime story, with inklings of Batman within it.

Man, if you loved Penguin and Riddler before, they get even better with Season 2 and 3.

Great show, just a fun watch.

RedHill

Banned
It's a million times better than "Superheroes Dating in Costumes a Step Above Workout Clothes: The connected tv universe"

Don't ever insult The Batman like that ever again

Don't get me wrong, I think The Batman is much, much better. But they're both quirky and very Not Your Father's Batman, and your enjoyment will hinge on whether or not you find that interesting.

Tarzan Joker is the best Joker outside of Hamill

Pachimari

Couldn't agree more. It also spawned the worst joker of all time.

It might also bee the ugliest show ever produced.
How is this the ugliest show ever produced ? The cinematography is great compared to what else you got in the genre on TV. It got pretty damn impressive sets, lightning and angles.

The
Couldn't agree more. It also spawned the worst joker of all time.

It might also bee the ugliest show ever produced.

I can understand not liking Joker as he is highly subjective
but the show is ugly?..... LOL

One of the best looking shows currently on tv, especially comic shows.
even makes the production value of the Netflix Marvel series look shit.

Harmen

I wanted to like it, but to me at times it almost seems like a fan project done by a gathering of people collected at a comic con, pumped with money from a big studio. I think it is really bad.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I can understand not liking Joker as he is highly subjective
but the show is ugly?..... LOL

One of the best looking shows currently on tv, especially comic shows.
even makes the production value of the Netflix Marvel series look shit.

Seriously. I'm still in S1, but arguably the set dressing and visual look of the show is astounding. Not just the external establishing shots that you posted, but even the actual interiors. Gotham PD alone is fascinating on screen. Fish's club, Wayne Manor, the unbelievable penthouse Gordon shacks up in, even that cluttered home of Penguin's mom. Every shot is an eyeful and exceptionally well-lit and manufactured to be memorable. In many ways it is the star of the show.

Oh and all those glorious CRT's!

Seriously. I'm still in S1, but arguably the set dressing and visual look of the show is astounding. Not just the external establishing shots that you posted, but even the actual interiors. Gotham PD alone is fascinating on screen. Fish's club, Wayne Manor, the unbelievable penthouse Gordon shacks up in, even that cluttered home of Penguin's mom. Every shot is an eyeful and exceptionally well-lit and manufactured to be memorable. In many ways it is the star of the show.

Oh and all those glorious CRT's!

Yeah, was trying to find more regular shots but I'm on the PS4 browser atm so its a challenge currently.

The show looks incredible,

I do appreciate the effort they made into creating Gotham. Gotham City is as much a character in the comic's as Joker or Batman.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Definitely the best comic book show on the air. Campy Enough to have fun but serious enough to keep your interest.

It's almost like a continuation of the old 60s batman in a modern way, to me

Rymuth

I jumped ship a long time ago but I don't regret my time.

Show was a piece of shit but it was entertaining which is what I want from my TV shows

Top Bottom