• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Halo 5 (campaign only)

singhr1

Also, why didn't we go to any Halos for 2 games?

Probably because being on them is no longer as interesting as it once was. More interesting is that now that we know what they do, if someone ever claims their power (as hinted by the legendary ending).

I really hated the Promethean enemies. Constant teleporting is incredibly annoying. They just weren't fun to fight, more like a chore.

Soldiers* were a chore. Knights and crawlers felt fine now.

The Hobo

Master Chief and Blue Team should have been the main focus of the game. For the first time, Chief is fighting alongside his fellow Spartan II comrades, and they do nothing with it.

343 have some interesting ideas but just fumble execution.

m23

Master Chief and Blue Team should have been the main focus of the game. For the first time, Chief is fighting alongside his fellow Spartan II comrades, and they do nothing with it.

343 have some interesting ideas but just fumble execution.

Yeah that was the biggest disappointment for me. Barely anything from blue team.

Worst most generic hero I have EVER played, and I truly say that without exaggeration. The Cortana evil twist story was just laughable and poorly executed. Let's not forget fighting the same fucking boss over and over and over again

I'm a huge fan of Halo's SP, but this one game basically killed my hype for Halo 6

shoreu

I found it hilarious that they killed off Jul Mdama in a cut scene without any sort of battle. 343 set him up as a major character, kill him off in a cut scene at the end of the first level.

Almost as bad as they killed off the Didact after setting him up in 3 books. Totally butchered his character, Greg Bear was probably shaking his head in disbelief.

the ISO did didact is still alive

Major Halo fan here and yeah, looking back I have to say the campaign was just kinda disappointing. The great Halo gameplay is there along with some pretty good visual spectacle, but I'd really love to experience a more interesting and meaningful story. I should probably replay it sometime and see if my impressions remain the same.

I just wish a future Halo campaign could pull off something similar to the first game in regards to having a constant visual "reminder" of the story.

I remember when I was a kid, looking up at the sky and seeing the Halo ring go all around, being so interested in how this "ring" was a planet.

It just made me want to explore and figure out what this thing was, who made it and why.

No other Halo game has really even attempted a "set piece" of sorts that puts you in place like that. Ever since then it's mostly been "go here, kill guys, blow this stuff up, etc." and the places you go or explore are never really interesting at all.

Also, why didn't we go to any Halos for 2 games?

While I'd like to see a return to a Halo, I did like the locations in Halo 5. A glassed planet, elite homeworld and forerunner installation were all interesting places to see within the universe. Whether they were well executed or not is another story, Sanghelios and Genesis were well done, but I feel like Meridian wasn't fully realized.

DesertFox

I agree with a lot of the points in the OP. I think the most egregious mistake by 343 was turning Cortana into the bad guy.

Like someone else said, 343's mishandling of the story has completely killed my love of the franchise. I used to be the biggest fanboy for anything Halo, but their missteps in Halo 4 (and more so Spartan Ops) followed by their complete fuckup in Halo 5 has just completely solidified my opinion that 343 in incapable of making a good Halo story, and I couldn't be less interested in Halo 6.

Trup1aya

There were some really great encounters, particularly on sanghelios. But the promethean enemies continue to be bland additions to the sandbox.

The story was terrible to put it likely.

The combination of the horrible story and boring promethean enemies makes this the first halo that i have 0 drive to replay.

I cant stress how boring the promethean are to fight. When fighting covies, you're playing this constant game of rock paper scissors trying to leverage varied, but ever present weaknesses of the different species.

With promethean enemies the combat loop devolves into 'find promethean weapon, widdle armor.their hit responses are none existent, and their teleporting into position and out of danger just feels cheap. It always feels more like a chore than a test of resourcefulness.

To make matters worse, none of the promethean weapons are particularly fun to use, nor do they occupy different niches compared the human/ Covenant weaponry. They are just retreds of existing guns that do bonus damage to robots.

Knights are less egregious, but even hitting their weakspot fails to provide satisfying feedback. you still don't get a quality visual representation of how weak they are until their bubble actually pops.

E92 M3

That seems like the kind of thing where 343 would be damned if they did and damned if they didn't. People would criticize them for being unoriginal if they returned to a Ringworld.

I don't think - people would love the nostalgia.

Probably because being on them is no longer as interesting as it once was. More interesting is that now that we know what they do, if someone ever claims their power (as hinted by the legendary ending).

Soldiers* were a chore. Knights and crawlers felt fine now.

Ring worlds have interesting weather patterns and beautiful scenery. Certainly better than forerunner structures and desert worlds.

While I'd like to see a return to a Halo, I did like the locations in Halo 5. A glassed planet, elite homeworld and forerunner installation were all interesting places to see within the universe. Whether they were well executed or not is another story, Sanghelios and Genesis were well done, but I feel like Meridian wasn't fully realized.

Would be cool to go a glassed planet. I'd like to see more "nature environments" and less factories.

Top Bottom