• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Infamous 1 & 2

I had already played Infamous:SS and First Light on the PS4 and I recently got a PS3 to play through all the console exclusives of last gen and the PS3 exclusives that I never played which of course included inFAMOUS 1 and 2.

Infamous 1 I wasn't really that fond of. It was fun but after playing through SS it was tough going back to such a basic formula. Never mind that I started on Hard and it was such an incredibly unfun difficulty mode. The story was ok-ish. Didn't really expect the
whole Kessler and Cole are the same person
thing but I thought it was kinda cliche and the
Beast
just came out of freaking nowhere.

Infamous 2 on the other hand, I liked considerably. It ran a hell of a lot better and looked a lot better at the same time. There was considerably more variety in the powers and the enemies, the New Orleans based setting was pretty refreshing to see in a video game. The whole blue girl represents your good side and the red girl represents your bad side had me cringing at times but hey, it was ok. Not a fan of the Cole redesign but to be fair, his original wasn't that hot either. All in all, I enjoyed infamous 2 a hell of a lot more and I think it's just the much better game that built upon 1's foundation.

inFamous 1's twist ain't high art, and it ain't the most original thing I've ever seen, but it sure as shit wasn't cliche.

inFamous 2 is still the best inFamous game by a wide margin

amdb00mer

I really loved the first two. Did not care for Infamous: Second Son. The main character annoyed the crap out of me.

inFamous 1's twist ain't high art, and it ain't the most original thing I've ever seen, but it sure as shit wasn't cliche.

Even though I haven't finished SS I'm willing to say that InFamous 2 is the best outta the 3 main games. Troy Baker's character in SS just annoyed the hell outta me.

ethomaz

Banned
First inFAMOUS is the best.

Best story, best Cole design, best overall power for me.

inFAMOUS 2 has the best gameplay.

Second Son just not reach the same overall quality of previous games.

Linkark07

Banned
I absolutely loved them, in fact, one of the few games I have gotten platinum. Infamous 1 was great but Infamous 2 tweaked the gameplay and made it better.

Haven't played First Son or Last Light yet. Need to find time before playing those two.

jayu26

Yes. Infamous 2 is the best infamous game. That is how you do a sequel, by building on top of original's foundation. I also like the story in Infamous 2.
I love that Kuo at first backs away when it comes to making the ultimate sacrifice for the rest of humanity. The expression on her face as she says the line "it felt like dying" conveys just how terrified she is of dying.
The series should have ended at this game, or continued on with the evil ending like Nate Fox wanted to originally.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Remember the new Cole that never was.
8037.cole.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I personally loved it, but jeez the backlash was so real.

Me too actually.

Got kinda stumped that people wanted generic edgy bald Cole back. I mean, there is an argument that the above image is just as cliche but I found it to be an appealing progression.

Remember the new Cole that never was.
8037.cole.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Holy fucking shit I cringed SO hard reading that WOW >___<

The first two inFAMOUS games went on sale a couple weeks ago, I was only missing 2 and Festival of Blood (is that right?). Now I have the whole series and I'm finally gonna dig in and play all of them soon. Super excited, I know next to nothing about them at all other than it's a kid with powers.

Edit: To clarify I don't have a problem with the design but the text descriptions, holy shit. Is that what the writing in the games is like?

Maddrical

Thoroughly enjoyed both games, agree that the world & gameplay of 2 was much improved over 1. However the storyline of 2 in my opinion was probably worse than 1. 1 wasn't good by any stretch but I found myself not even remotely interested in the story in 2, I thought it was pretty woeful. But! The gameplay was amazing, definitely the best in the series. I think the inFamous series is the only sandbox/open-world game I've finished since maybe GTA IV. I didn't even finish GTA V, though I intend on fixing that pretty soon.

Holy fucking shit I cringed SO hard reading that WOW >___<

The first two inFAMOUS games went on sale a couple weeks ago, I was only missing 2 and Festival of Blood (is that right?). Now I have the whole series and I'm finally gonna dig in and play all of them soon. Super excited, I know next to nothing about them at all other than it's a kid with powers.

Edit: To clarify I don't have a problem with the design but the text descriptions, holy shit. Is that what the writing in the games is like?
The writings not great in the game but it's definitely not as bad as THAT.

TheMoon

Have you actually read all of it? It's very clear that this was not written by anybody involved with the game.

Kaz42

I loved Infamous 1. The story, gameplay, characters everything was great to me. iNfamous 2 was pretty good, better gameplay for sure but I didn't like Zeke as much and the story wasn't nearly as interesting. The bad guy's story was very uninteresting from the little I remember of it. I found Kessler's story much more compelling and found it easier to keep going through the game to see how it played out. Can't say the same for 2, just didnt grab my attention unfortunately.

ActWan

Awesome games! And I liked 1 better than 2, just for the plot and atmosphere. But 2's gameplay is far superior and all fights are just really good, rockets and projectiles flying everywhere

Dremark

Banned

Yeah I don't even get that comment. The twist was actually really well done in that there is literally a ton of things that point to it but pretty much no one is going to pick up on them on a first playthough.

And yeah the second game is the best one, although I really like all 3 of them.

TheMoon

For me inFAMOUS 2 clearly takes the cake due to the superior setting, movement abilities (ice pillar = skill of the forever), combat variety, improved ability to find those god damn orb things, Festival of Blood.

Fbh

1 was ok, but missions weren't that great and it was pretty clearly a shooter trying to appear as a game about superpowers.

2 was when it got great. Better presentation, better overall gameplay and the combination of better melee + more powers made the gameplay feel more unique and fun.

With second son they took a big step backwards. Worst story, worst powers, worst enemy variety, worst side missions. Though I blame most of that on having to rush the game to be ready for the Ps4 release window. We haven't heard from them for a while, so hopefully they were given the time to really focus on making their next game great

Have you actually read all of it? It's very clear that this was not written by anybody involved with the game.

As I said in the post you quoted, I have never played any of the games and the only thing I know about them is you play as a guy who has powers, and then in one of the PS4 games you play a girl. That's it. I have nothing to compare that writing to which is why I was asking.

martino

With second son they took a big step backwards. Worst story, worst powers, worst enemy variety, worst side missions. Though I blame most of that on having to rush the game to be ready for the Ps4 release window. We haven't heard from them for a while, so hopefully they were given the time to really focus on making their next game great

and also this

psychotron

First inFAMOUS is the best.

Best story, best Cole design, best overall power for me.

inFAMOUS 2 has the best gameplay.

Second Son just not reach the same overall quality of previous games.

This. inFamous 2 was definitely a good game, but it was very different in certain areas. Original Cole was great, and the environment, though mostly uninhabited, had a feel to it that was lost in 2.

TheMoon

As I said in the post you quoted, I have never played any of the games and the only thing I know about them is you play as a guy who has powers, and then in one of the PS4 games you play a girl. That's it. I have nothing to compare that writing to which is why I was asking.

You don't need to, the words they use are enough. :)

They're talking about the devs in third person, use lots of maybes and the snarky "nothing says 'I drink motor oil...'" part should seal the deal :)

Nev

Banned
Loved and platinumed them both. Best TPS mechanics ever, only held back by the fact that it's only playable with a controller.

Haven't played SS and don't care much about it.

Truth. Still the best one.

Second Son gets a lot of praise, despite being pretty generic and a lot less fun than 2. First Light was a real improvement.

I hated 1. 2 was a significant improvement in every regard apart from the story. I'm amazed the sequel is rated lower on Metacritic quite frankly.

GeeTeeCee

While I loved Second Son and First Light, I miss the over the top comic book-ness of the first two games. Warring gangs of superpowered freaks, giant skyscrapers made out of trash, secret societies and government conspiracies, (InFamous 1 spoilers)
time travel
&
The Beast
. The later games feel pretty subdued and grounded in comparison.

TheMoon

While I loved Second Son and First Light, I miss the over the top comic book-ness of the first two games. Warring gangs of superpowered freaks, giant skyscrapers made out of trash, secret societies and government conspiracies, (InFamous 1 spoilers)
time travel
&
The Beast
. The later games feel pretty subdued and grounded in comparison.

you forgot vampires.

While Second Son was visually fantastic, and First light felt better gameplay wise, it was definitely the PS3 outings that hold my favor. The original that introduced Cole and the plot that I adored and the sequel that looked much better / played better was awesome.

HOWEVER, my favorite Infamous game is the standalone episode "Festival of Blood". The concept is essentially that it's a story being made up to win the favor of a woman at a bar, but it introduces some amazing mechanics and takes the setting of Infamous 2 and transforms a large part of it into a burning-man like situation, only within urban confines.

dealer-

Got bored with 1 and 2, half way through both then never finished but 100% completed Second Son and First Light. Fetch is my favourite out of the games for sure.

Evilisk

I think 2 is definitely better especially in the gameplay/open world departments, though I also think 1 did certain things way better. The Factions in 1 are better by far. The character designs and approach to story were also inferior in the sequel (wtf is with Bertrand's design, I couldn't take him seriously at all. I also didn't like at all how Nix and Kuo were handled, and the story felt rushed towards the end.) Though there were great moments in 2 like Zeke and Cole on the Couch or the Nix and Kuo angle on the final mission.

That's from a GameInformer preview of inFamous 2 (I think I even have a physical copy of that issue). It doesn't say who wrote that section of that preview (like it's unclear if it's commentary on the design from the writer, or if it's actual reasoning behind the designs)

Kthulhu

I hope Sony and Sucker Punch make another one. Second Son wasn't terrible, but it was a step backwards. The protagonists villain path felt really forced, which is odd considering Cole easily felt like he could be good or evil.

Loved the first two games, also the twist was great imo. I still say they should've gone with the infamous 2 evil ending as canon, would've gave the game a lot of creative liberties as well as being something rarely done in entertainment media.

Also I think they should've kept the original design for two as it could've/would've made sense as Kessler screwed the timeline. But second son was such a letdown.

Edit:
Yes. Infamous 2 is the best infamous game. That is how you do a sequel, by building on top of original's foundation. I also like the story in Infamous 2.
I love that Kuo at first backs away when it comes to making the ultimate sacrifice for the rest of humanity. The expression on her face as she says the line "it felt like dying" conveys just how terrified she is of dying.
The series should have ended at this game, or continued on with the evil ending like Nate Fox wanted to originally.
Holy crap I never knew he wanted to go with the evil ending, I've been saying they should've went that route since finishing the game on release. It was such a better ending than the good one, the juxtaposition between Kuo and Nix's characters over the course of the game and the culmination when you make your final decision was really great.

TheMoon

If the first game had been graphically impressive, it would have been a damn near perfect game. Everything about it was on point, especially the urban wasteland tone to the atmosphere. Sucks the sequel went in such a weird direction.

Also, the music was fucking amazing.

Seriously, listen to these:

Anything for Trish
Alden Strikes
Dinner with Sasha

the fuuuuucckkk
Totally did not remember the music from the first game, at all. "anything for Trish" is bananas. Don't recall this score being so percussive.

With all the remaster nonsense they're pulling, why haven't they thrown out an inFAMOUS Collection yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1 was a good but rough first entry, 2 was amazing. Such a leap, similar to that between Uncharted 1 and 2. SS was another huge leap in visuals (that game still looks so great), but a step back in content and variety. Still really enjoyed it though.

For me inFAMOUS 2 clearly takes the cake due to the superior setting, movement abilities (ice pillar = skill of the forever), combat variety, improved ability to find those god damn orb things, Festival of Blood.
Agreed. It essentially did what a sequel is expected to do by making everything bigger and beter.

That ice pillar movement was so awesome. Especially when you would rotate the camera and see the ice guys behind you using the ice pillars going up and down in the air over the buildings and what not.

bunkitz

I love all the inFAMOUS games, with the exception of Blood Festival for the simple fact that I have yet to play it. It seems cool, though. I loved Second Son too, but it's definitely the weakest game in the series. Although I still prefer it over the first game simply because I had a lot more fun with it, even if it's lacking in content so much.

inFAMOUS 2 is clearly the best in the whole franchise, of course. It played a lot better and was much more fun than the first game. The powers were awesome, especially the specials and the napalm and ice power trees. Especially ice. God, I love Ice Launch, Ionic Freeze, and Ice Grenade so damn much. Heroic Cole looked pretty cool too, although I wasn't too keen on the chest out pose. The game's story was really great too, especially the heroic ending. Every time, a big wave of feels. Oh, and fuck, Hellfire Rockets? Fucking love those! Roaming around New Marais, after beating the game or when you're fully upgraded, especially, felt like such a power trip. I loved just running around and doing shit. And the side missions and UGC were damn fun.

Something I really like about the entire franchise, though, is how each successive game had a huge leap in graphics. inFAMOUS looked okay, kind of like a low-mid end PS3 game, maybe? inFAMOUS 2 looked fucking fantastic. Then Second Son happened and you could literally see Troy Baker's face and the facial animation was just insane. And all the goddamn details you wouldn't have seen without Photo Mode! Sadly, of course, this all meant less comic book style cutscenes.

On the other hand, something I don't like so much despite it still being very fun, is how inFAMOUS is, when you boil it down, just a super powered third-person shooter game. With some "free running" and melee. The whole premise has so much potential, but that's what most powers were reduced to, sadly. Second Son was at least able to improve on that by giving us more melee options and non-shooter-like powers, such as that pixel invisibility thing. Hopefully, if there will be more games in the series, they give us even more variety and take better advantage of the powers.

Top Bottom