• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Jet Grind Radio vs. Jet Set Radio Future

RobbieNick

....YOU'RE ASKING ME TO CHOOSE ONE OF MY BABIES!!

JSRF had a slightly better soundtrack, but Jet Set Radio (fuck that "grind" shit) actually had you stop and use inputs for the graffiti which caused more tension as the police were headed towards you. I guess in the end, I'd edge out the original JSR for the win. But both are awesome.

I like JSRF a lot more. JGR was good, but Future was just faster game. I liked exploring more then trying to rush against a time limit. Also the soundtrack was mixed better. I think Birthday Cake is awesome, well the uncensored version that's not in the game at least.

TheYanger

JSRF is a far superior game. While the tagging aspects were original and cool in the original, they slowed the piss out of the game, and didn't really make it any more 'fun'. I did everything in both games many times, and while I loved JGR, JSRF blew it away, the emphasis on platforming (let's face it, grinding around IS platforming in these games) was much more satisfying and the level design is impeccable. The challenges added a lot of fun to each area and taught you the routes and how to be a better player very fluidly, much moreso than simply repeating the entire game over and over trying to get JET on everything. I liked the charm of a lot of the original designs vs the harder edged JSRF versions, however. And I REALLY liked the old noise tank and poison jam sections (Benten and Kogane? it's been years) in the first. However the sewer levels in Future are still stronger, and while highway zero is a bore, almost every other level really rewards you for learning them inside and out.

TheYanger said:
JSRF is a far superior game. While the tagging aspects were original and cool in the original, they slowed the piss out of the game, and didn't really make it any more 'fun'. I did everything in both games many times, and while I loved JGR, JSRF blew it away, the emphasis on platforming (let's face it, grinding around IS platforming in these games) was much more satisfying and the level design is impeccable.

And now to quote him and repl-

TheYanger said:
JSRF is a far superior game. While the tagging aspects were original and cool in the original, they slowed the piss out of the game, and didn't really make it any more 'fun'. I did everything in both games many times, and while I loved JGR, JSRF blew it away, the emphasis on platforming (let's face it, grinding around IS platforming in these games) was much more satisfying and the level design is impeccable. The challenges added a lot of fun to each area and taught you the routes and how to be a better player very fluidly, much moreso than simply repeating the entire game over and over trying to get JET on everything. I liked the charm of a lot of the original designs vs the harder edged JSRF versions, however. And I REALLY liked the old noise tank and poison jam sections (Benten and Kogane? it's been years) in the first. However the sewer levels in Future are still stronger, and while highway zero is a bore, almost every other level really rewards you for learning them inside and out.

OVER HALF YOUR POST, GHOST-EDITED IN.

I thought JSRF's level design was generally pretty bland. Often getting between subsections of areas required finding a very specific route, and with how big the levels could be, often it wasn't clear where to start looking for it.

I also hated the level where you're stuck on top of, I want to say shipping containers, or tons of tin shanty roofs. It was gigantic, it was bland, and easy to get lost in (I remember the game's map system being confusing). There were some high-up wires to grind, but they were a pain to get up to if you fell off or jumped down. There were also some underground tunnels you took to move between around the area, but they could turn you around pretty badly, and leave you wandering again until you could find a landmark. I was stuck there for a while, and it just made me not want to play the game any more. (I did though, later on started from scratch and played to the end.)

Oh yeah, I'm just remembering, that Egyptian-styled hotel, or some city level, where you have to make tons of huge, and sometimes blind jumps to these far-off buildings with bottomless pits between them, and if you didn't have boost you were SOL? Oh, those were fun.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I played JSRF to death when I got my Xbox (had the JSRF / Sega GT 2002 with my box). I loved grinding around and doing tricks of various rails to tag certain areas. The fast gameplay was really what drew me into it.

I need to play though it again :-/

Kulock said:
And now to quote him and repl-

OVER HALF YOUR POST, GHOST-EDITED IN.

I thought JSRF's level design was generally pretty bland. Often getting between subsections of areas required finding a very specific route, and with how big the levels could be, often it wasn't clear where to start looking for it.

Name a nonlinear 3D platformer that has better levels and why. I firmly believe JSRF is the best in the genre.

The Lamp

I didn't play JGR much, but JSRF was amazing.

-No time limit = awesome. I would never be able to play JGR if it had a time limit. That just sounds stupid. The fun comes from exploration and freedom.
-The soundtrack is godly.

JSRF wins.

Mortrialus said:
Name a nonlinear 3D platformer that has better levels and why. I firmly believe JSRF is the best in the genre.
At its best, Mario Sunshine's level design was more impressive. The insane verticality of some of the stages gave them a multilayered feel that very few games can match, and the various layers were woven together perfectly, with the different FLUDD attatchments allowing you to seamlessly transition from one part of the level to the next. The only problem was the actual number of stages in the game was severely lacking.

Mortrialus said:

Sly Cooper 2 and 3. Mario Sunshine. Mario Galaxy. Infamous. Probably about a dozen other sandbox-y games. Sonic Jam's "Sonic World" mode...

Andrew.

Banned
Loved Jet grind radio. Played it like 3 time and the fact that you had to make the graffiti "brush strokes" gave the game a sense of urgency when you were being chased. I remember going around trying to find the one I missed while being chased by the darm police...and them coming to find out its one of the big ones that you had to do like 8 distinct patterns to get the whole thing up. Then the police get more agressive and the panic gets greater. Especially when they start using stuff other than hand guns.

Jet Set radio wad still as good, the beats were amazing. I just felt like it wasnt as difficult cuz all you had to do was hit the "spray" button...even if it was a really big tag.

Maybe i liked the first one more because i spent more time on my dreamcast than any other system ive owned besides my ps3. I wish Dreamcast had a longer run. it was Solid gold as far as im concerned.

Top Bottom