• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Justified, one of the most underrated crime dramas of the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got around to finishing Justified. For those that don't know, Justified is a crime drama that stars Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens, a cowboy cop transferred from Florida to Harlan County, Kentucky, where he grew up and has been desperately trying to leave behind. He clashes mainly with local outlaw and former coal mining buddy Boyd Crowder, played by the pigeonholed but supremely talented Walton Goggins. Over six seasons Raylan has to contend with the local criminal element as well as some of the more unsavory aspects of his past.

Seasons usually have an arc villain and are told on an almost episodic basis. There's a lovable cast of side characters and the whole show has a contemporary western feel.

But it's Olyphant's Raylan and Goggin's Boyd that really draw you in. Raylan is the ideal cowboy badass, he's never outdrawn and plays fast and loose with the rules. But he's just so funny and fun to watch, and Olyphant plays him with so much swagger it's hard to believe this is the guy who sleepwalked through Agent 47 in the first Hitman.

Boyd Crowder is the perfect foil then, an intelligent but prideful outlaw that is sometimes an ally, oftentimes an enemy. He's just as fun to watch as Raylan.

I feel the show stumbled a bit in season 5, as it was trying to recover from a major event in season 4's finale that was never really expanded upon. Season 6 is similarly slow at points, but the series finale is just perfect.

justified-quotes-love-this-hard-2015.gif

One of my favorite shows. I was pretty disappointed in the final season, but still love the show as a whole. And I wouldn't say the final season is bad whatsoever, either. Just not exactly what I wanted.

It's an easily enjoyable show. It's a safe place where good guys always win, and the bad guys always wind up dead. I think it's available in 4K on netflix. Might have to give the whole thing another run through.

It had some low points (season 5's weird plot split comes to mind) but it always delivered on style and weird characters. I grew up not too far away, and it was nice to see some material on tv that resembles my home town (rural accents and rural drug use).

It always bothered me that their E KY had so many pine trees.

trebbble

I had a soft spot for this show, but I'm a big Elmore Leonard fan.

It really did have a perfect ending, and hit its mark far more often than not, even if I wouldn't necessarily rate it at the very highest tier of television.

ThisOne

The 4th episode of Season 1 (I think I'm remembering it right) was just terrible and turned me off from the show. It's the one with the guy from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The writing, plot setup, and performances in that episode were just bad, bad, bad.

I still want to give the show a chance because I've heard it's good and have friends that like it but that episode was a total buzzkill.

Absolutely. Walton Goggins and Timothy Olyphant not getting Emmy wins is utter nonsense. Especially Goggins. Probably my second favorite show ever behind The Shield.

Fevaweva

It is criminally underrated probably because it isn't an entirely serious drama like what is considered S tier television.

Like how comedies never win the serious awards.

Justified is probably one of my top 3 shows of all time. I love the shit out of this show - so many great moments. Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins kill it as both their characters, but Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy is a pretty standout highlight as well.

So many great side characters too, and the dialogue was always top notch. I need to rewatch it from the beginning now.

Sadsic

The 4th episode of Season 1 (I think I'm remembering it right) was just terrible and turned me off from the show. It's the one with the guy from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The writing, plot setup, and performances in that episode were just bad, bad, bad.

I still want to give the show a chance because I've heard it's good and have friends that like it but that episode was a total buzzkill.

is that the one with the crazy dentist

Sheroking

I would consider it one of the most underrated shows of all time. Better and more consistent than some of the more lauded shows that ran along side it (I'm looking at you in particular, Mad Men).

Olyphant's best vehicle. He's much better here than he ever was on Deadwood. Quite possibly the best stable of villains in any television show, too. Tremendous sense of humor, good side characters - just all around strong.

KarmaCow

Even though it's pretty serialized, it's the kind of show I would love to just randomly catch on TV. The best part of the show are the bits of dialogue like Boyd verbally sparring with Raylan rather than the actual narrative.

Best sleeper show ever. It's like people never heard of it and it remained stellar to the end. Not a single side step shy from amazing characters and writing all along

Sheroking

Even though it's pretty serialized, it's the kind of show I would love to just randomly catch on TV. The best part of the show are the bits of dialogue like Boyd verbally sparring with Raylan rather than the actual narrative.

I'm not sure you know what that actually means.

Serial television is where every episode leads into the next and the show tells a larger, more complex storyline. Procedural television is where every episode has it's own specific A-plot, which tends to resolve before the episode is over. I've never once heard somebody criticize a show for being "serialized".

Justified is one of the rare shows that falls into neither category. The first season was more procedural than the ones that followed, but it was always a strong mix of Raylan doing his job and the central arc of the season. I don't think there was ever a filler episode of Justified once it found it's legs in late Season 1.

inm8num2

One of my favorite shows this past decade. This will be the first spring since 2010 that we don't get new Justified. :(

My favorite quote has to be from season 2.

Doyle: "You bring one man to back you up?"
Raylan: "Yea, well, I thought you'd bring more guys."

Easily the best dialogue on tv during its run.

KarmaCow

I'm not sure you know what that actually means.

Serial television is where every episode leads into the next and the show tells a larger, more complex storyline. Procedural television is where every episode has it's own specific A-plot, which tends to resolve before the episode is over. I've never once heard somebody criticize a show for being "serialized".

Justified is one of the rare shows that falls into neither category. The first season was more procedural than the ones that followed, but it was always a strong mix of Raylan doing his job and the central arc of the season. I don't think there was ever a filler episode of Justified once it found it's legs in late Season 1.

Yea I used serialized without realising it just meant generally anything released over time, but you know what I meant.

And I wasn't criticizing the show for having season and series long storylines, just that it's not why I watch the show.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how is it underrated if its a internet darling and has a 80 on metacritic and a 97% on rotten tomatoes for example?

how is it underrated if its a internet darling and has a 80 on metacritic and a 97% on rotten tomatoes for example?

I almost never hear it in discussions of great shows. The much more maligned Sons of Anarchy on the same channel, for example, gets more discussion from what I've seen.

NightOnyx

I watched it for the first time a few months ago and absolutely loved it. Raylan and Boyd's relationship is one of my favorite in all of tv. They are both amazing.

The narrative isn't all that special, but the show works because the dialogue and cadence of the conversations is A+ stuff. Plus the way they can shift from dramatic to comedic within a few minutes without losing any of that wit.....so good

Sounds like a lotta people up in here need to fill their bookshelves with the works of one Mr. Elmore Leonard, and pronto.

(pun intended)

Maybe not strictly underrated, but certainly under-watched and under-considered as far as peak TV is concerned.

The fact that Sons of Anarchy was more watched and more celebrated is disgusting.

I've actually been thinking I need to read one of his books for a while. Hit me with a recommendation.

Check out Pronto, actually. Raylan's in it (although he's not quite the Raylan you watch in Justified. He's kind of a proto-Raylan) but its more the story of an old crook getting in his own way, and his girlfriend and Raylan trying to keep his ass alive despite his dumb actions.

(weird trivia: The book was adapted into a Showtime TV-movie, starring Peter Falk as the old crook, and James LeGros as Raylan, who ended up playing Wade Messer in Justified)

Just any old Elmore Leonard in general, though, I'd recommend:

Out of Sight (up until Justified, this was the best adaptation of Elmore)
Rum Punch (This became Jackie Brown, now the 3rd best Leonard adaptation)
La Brava
Maximum Bob (the judge character in Justified is loosely based on ol' Bob from this book)
Tishomingo Blues
Glitz
Freaky Deaky
52 Pick-Up

Really though, I don't think I've read a book of his that wasn't worth the time. They're all pretty goddamned great. It's just some are that much greater than others.

It is some absolute TOP TIER SHIT. I'd easily put it over what I see a lot of people calling the "best" TV.

Raylan is amazing, but Boyd is easily my favorite character. He's just so damn smooth.

Also, a show can absolutely be overserialized.

Did they ever explain why Boyd even needed to dig coal? Wasn't his family always a crime family or did that come later?

I always saw both Boyd and Raylan as hating their families and digging coal to get away from them. I could be wrong. I haven't seen the show since it ended. But it's up their just below The Wire and The Shield for me.

Sadsic

its like an A- show overall maybe, solid B on it's worst days

its not quite prestige drama tier, but its right, RIGHT below that territory

probably the third or fourth best FX drama overall

ColdPizza

Banned
its like an A- show overall maybe, solid B on it's worst days

its not quite prestige drama tier, but its right, RIGHT below that territory

probably the third or fourth best FX drama overall

Pretty much. The show is just...solid. Even had a somewhat satisfying ending and I usually am critical of how shows end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom