• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mechanical Disassembly Puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Disclaimer: No Rubiks cubes! :p

So, time for a random topic. I found a related thread from 2011, but as its rather old, maybe someone else has some new input on this topic by now. I have recently bought a few pieces I really like (more on that later) and just did a few hours of research on possible next purchases, preferably up to the 50$ range, but no need to restrict it to that limit. Turns out ... its pretty freaking hard to find good info.

When I was a kid, I often got my hands on these "disentanglement" wire puzzles. You have probably seen plenty of those in your lifetime:
EwHVror.png

Despite me loving puzzles of all kinds of varieties, those never clicked with me. I didnt like the feeling, the cheapness and it was just... off. Well, time travel 20 years in the future and I found similar puzzles that are not just of a wire based nature and it turns out...I freaking love them. If you were always interested in these puzzles, but the wire ones never clicked for you, I heartily recommend you the higher level Hanayama Cast puzzles. I will go into the stuff that I was able to find after todays research and if you know ANYTHING else that fits the bill, please let me know. Alternatively, if you tried/ended up trying any of the others, let us know here as wel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hanayama Cast Puzzles - http://www.hanayama-toys.com/
These are great, come in different difficulties, feel very tactile, have a different approach to the solution to every puzzle and, are easily available and are surprisingly cheap! Only bummer is that there hasnt been anything from from them since 2014. You can find most of these for about 12-15$ and if you buy the hardest ones, you often get a good amount of play time for yourself and your friends out of them. I bought 4 so far and have solved 2 of them. The first in the row above was medium tricky to figure out (Cast Marble: Level 5/6), while the second one was pretty easy (Cast o Gear: Level 3/6). I havent beaten the last one yet (Cast Equa: Level 6/6), but they are stupidly fun to fiddle around with. They feel nice and all have an interesting mechanism. Now, the Cast series also has some of the more normal "wire puzzles" on the lower difficulties, but as I said, not too big of a fan of those. Cast Marble was my first to arrive and I solve it within 40 minutes and fiddled with it for the rest of the day. So if I want more complexity, more intricacy and more clever ideas, where to look next?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Burr Puzzles
Burr Puzzles task you take apart longer pieces in a construction in the right order to untangle it. These should be right up my alley, but similar to wire puzzles, I had an intense but eventually ending relationship with similar puzzles when I was younger. Atm it just doesnt seem too appealing to me to fiddle around with 20+ wooden pieces, plus its just not as awe inspiring as figuring out the incredibly clever design mechanisms hidden in other puzzles like the Hanayama ones. I might grab one eventually that is supposed to be especially tricky without relying on just a high amount of individual pieces. Fun fact: Those Origami stars made from many small square pieces of paper are also Burr puzzles.

String Puzzles
This is actually one of the most easily available puzzle types. They are very similar in idea to other disassemble puzzles, in that it requires a very specific set of moves to untangle and solve these. My two biggest problems with those are that they all seem to revolve around similar mechanics and they basically never look appealing. I dont need everything to look nice and I might give a recommended one a whirl if it has a really interesting solution and feels a bit more high quality, though. Let me know!

Maze puzzles
Technically not really disassembling, but I feel like they should be included here anyway. These puzzles usually rely on you guiding a ball, stick etc through a maze to the exit. I will probably get one of these in the future, but its not currently what I am looking for as you arent looking at any clever tricks here, but mostly just guiding something through a maze.

Revomaze - https://www.revomaze.co.uk/wordpress/?post_type=product
Revomazes fall under the maze category as well, but they deserve their own mention here for being rather popular and one of the very few commercially widely available products. These are actually pretty high on my preference list right now, mostly due to the reported difficulty. They are basically invisible labyrinths that task you via trial, error and dexterity to search, hold and remember the right route through the internals. To solve these takes about 10-50 hours depending on the version you buy. The only issue: They cost a hefty sum, averaging around 150 pounds.

Isis - https://www.isisadventure.co.uk/
These are interesting as they are also connected to a sort of contest, where solving all nets you 10.000 dollars. (Not entirely sure what the current state of that contest is). They have a great quality, have some clever tricks and cost... 300$. Yeah. Unfortunate, that I cant get my hand on any of these, but I also read that the first one at least relies on a very cheap trick, which by now seems to be REALLY frowned upon in the puzzle community. So much so, that I read around 30 times that other puzzles didnt use that particular mechanic. Spoiler if you are curious:
It has a magnetic element attached to the inside of the ball, which you need to knock off with A LOT of force, about as much to make a nicely visible dent in a wooden table

Open Box Puzzles/Combination Puzzles/Sequential puzzles/Extraction puzzles
These are the most intriguing of them all. They come in two varieties: Simple open box puzzles and hidden item puzzles. The normal variety just tasks you to move and slide pieces, use intricate mechanisms and some clever thinking to open it. The second variety unearthes more tools over time, which which you can approach other elements of the puzzles that you couldnt get to before (think pins, magnets, etc). I absolutely adore the idea and would love to fiddle around with any of these. The problem: VERY expensive (~300$-1000$, yes that cute Koala would cost 1000$), but I understand that for the craftsmanship that goes into these. Even though I wouldnt be able to afford these, the actually bigger problem: See the awesome pictures above? All sold out. To be fair, there are some other options, but for a 100$+ purchase, you kinda need to rely on other peoples reviews if a box with hidden mechanisms is actually worth it. And pretty much all the interesting ones I could find today were sold out.

And now the fun part: Individual Designers
While these creations technically fall into the other categories as well, there is a fun tidbit about these that made me start this thread actually. I found these via the (I guess) biggest contest for puzzle creators, which is being held every year. You can check out their website, winners and entrants here: http://www.puzzleworld.org/DesignCompetition/
Anyway, the puzzles in the picture above have 2 striking similarities: They all won the first or Grand prize in 2015 and 2016 respectively and they cant be bought in any shop online. Actually, a huge amount of the submitted puzzles cant be bought at all, while many can be inquired about via email to the designer directly and only very, very few have an online shop where you can buy them. I sent out several mails today to figure out how to acquire certain puzzles and so far the only one which is even available via mail contact is the last one above (50 pounds, but supposed to have a very intriguing mechanism).

So much amazing stuff out there and you cant get to it. Maddening. Now, I wouldnt have enough money to buy most of these anyway, but I guess one thought will keep me warm tonight when I mourn the hidden mysteries forever lost to me - There is indeed something not even money can buy.

Let me know if you have any similar ones, how do you like your puzzles? Any recommendations? Not required, but bonus if its something in the 50€ range.

Fake Edit: Shot in the dark, but if anyone has some cool similar puzzles that are feeling lonely in your attic, feel free to send me a link/picture and your price idea via PM. No guarantee I'll buy anything, but I am very willing to consider offers after a rather frustrating search today.

Hobbles

I bought my brother 6 of these for Christmas this year. About four of us sat around fooling with them for a couple hours after wards. I keep meaning to get some for myself because I like them so much!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I watched a solution video of the lotus puzzle. Pretty cool how clever they get with mechanics.

Yeah, I am in contact with the developer via email atm. He is currently travelling Russia n the search (probably for more crazy ideas) and gets back to me in march for more info.

whoa, I collect these (not seriously, more like a hobby).

Most major urban areas have puzzle/game shops that carry the smaller/more unique ones from individual designers.

This YouTube channel has some interesting/unique puzzles.

Toma

I bought my brother 6 of these for Christmas this year. About four of us sat around fooling with them for a couple hours after wards. I keep meaning to get some for myself because I like them so much!

Hanayama I suppose? Which is the one you liked the most? I really liked the feel and initial challenge of the Marble one.

I kind of appreciate that the solution to the first Isis Orb is
the same as the solution to the Orb of Isis on the Simpsons. Not a great idea for a puzzle, but I appreciate the reference.

Toma

Most major urban areas have puzzle/game shops that carry the smaller/more unique ones from individual designers.

Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, I already see plenty of puzzles in his list that were actually sold out when I searched for them today, which is especially problematic as I havent read about any sort of rerun whatsoever. Kinda the issue with most youtubers/bloggers writing about these intriguing puzzles. If you have some other personal recommendations from your collection that you know are available...somehow, I would love to read them.

JesseZao

Made me think of that Japanese show where a guy couldn't solve a rope/ring/hoop puzzle for 10 years:

https://youtu.be/08QmPfwFLQg

I'm fascinated by these sorts of puzzles, but I've never felt compelled to buy any of them. There needs to be a puzzle netflix so once you solve it, you send it back. That, or a have a national network of libraries implement a rotating stock of puzzles for people to come in and try.

Toma

Made me think of that Japanese show where a guy couldn't solve a rope/hoop puzzle for 10 years:

https://youtu.be/08QmPfwFLQg

I'm fascinated by these sorts of puzzles, but I've never felt compelled to buy any of them. There needs to be a puzzle netflix so once you solve it, you send it back. That, or a have a national network of librarys implement a rotating stock of puzzles for people to come in and try.

The Hanayama puzzles are pretty cheap and I think they are worth the investment at least, considering I get to look at 5-10 different people around me being stumped for 1 or more hours, haha.

JesseZao

The Hanayama puzzles are pretty cheap and I think they are worth the investment at least, considering I get to look at 5-10 different people around me being stumped for 1 or more hours, haha.

I'll have to take a look at those tonight.

I view the purchase of physical puzzles similar to video games (or I suppose more closely related, jigsaw puzzles); sure, you figure out how to complete them and once "solved" there's little incentive to do it all over again, but it's usually well worth the time you spent on it and they can occasionally make for nice conversation pieces with the nerds in your life.

Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, I already see plenty of puzzles in his list that were actually sold out when I searched for them today, which is especially problematic as I havent read about any sort of rerun whatsoever. Kinda the issue with most youtubers/bloggers writing about these intriguing puzzles. If you have some other personal recommendations from your collection that you know are available...somehow, I would love to read them.

Yeah, when I get some time this weekend I'll try and dig up what I can and check availability!

Toma

I'll have to take a look at those tonight.

They come with difficulty ratings, 6 being the most devious. I kinda needed to read up on some reviews to decide which to go for though. If you want to go really hard: Equa, Elk, Chain. The others are also pretty interesting, but some have some VERY unique "gimmicks" that might get you to accidentally solve them (News, Square). Still highly interesting, though.

Toma

Yeah, when I get some time this weekend I'll try and dig up what I can and check availability!

Highly appreciated. :) I expect this thread to die off among the Trump OT madness, but I subscribed and will definitely read it.

Zissou

This thread is cool and reminiscent of the Bagels threads about fountain pens and such- a cool look at a world I didn't know existed.

I end up getting a Hanayama puzzle for Christmas every year. Then my brothers and I sit around on Christmas morning, and all try to beat our puzzles. And whoever does first is the best brother.

It's fun stuff.

Toma

I end up getting a Hanayama puzzle for Christmas every year. Then my brothers and I sit around on Christmas morning, and all try to beat our puzzles. And whoever does first is the best brother.

It's fun stuff.

Haha, cute story. :)

Toma

Added a small section about string puzzles. Not particular fond of them (yet), but I guess they need to be in that list as well. I might give a recommended one a whirl if it has a really interesting solution and feels a bit more high quality, though. Let me know!

I just started getting into the Hanayama puzzles a couple weeks ago.

I love the variation and the different skill levels, and you can buy them for like $8-$12 on Amazon.

And they're sturdy as fuck too, not like some cheapo aluminum trinket.

I have this one on its way to my house right now:

2017_02_24_14_21_53.jpg

2017_02_24_14_21_54.jpg

It's one of the more expensive ones but man, it looks cool.

Toma

I just started getting into the Hanayama puzzles a couple weeks ago.

I love the variation and the different skill levels, and you can buy them for like $8-$12 on Amazon.

And they're sturdy as fuck too, not like some cheapo aluminum trinket.

I have this one on its way to my house right now:

2017_02_24_14_21_53.jpg

2017_02_24_14_21_54.jpg

It's one of the more expensive ones but man, it looks cool.

It absolutely does! I am more intrigued by the high level ones atm, though. If you have some already, what were the hardest for you?

Toma

Cool thread :)

I have just ordered the Hanayama News as a result:

000311.png

Also subbed.

Super interesting puzzle, but its definitely the one with the most exotic solution from the Hanayama puzzles. Fiddling around with it for 10 minutes or so every day since I got it, but I havent made much progress yet.

Toma

Hmmm sounds cool, I am getting it tomorrow so I might try and time how long it takes me.

If you dont end up liking it all that much (It IS rather unusual), just know that its pretty much the only Hanayama puzzle with that kind of mechanism, its a rather unique piece in their catalog.
Edit: Not to be a downer, just for completeness sake - I love all Hanayama puzzles so far.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
This is so cool and it reminds me of the situations you get with car or motorcycle maintenance. There are times when you just have to use your noggin and figure shit out.

Alexlf

Hmm, this seems pretty neat. Any suggestions for puzzles for a complete beginner? Maybe something in the $30-70 USD range?

Toma

Hmm, this seems pretty neat. Any suggestions for puzzles for a complete beginner? Maybe something in the $30-70 USD range?

Get multiple ones from the Hanayama Cast series. They are interesting, high quality and all are different. You can get multiple ones for cheap. I will probably buy up all of the high level Hayanama ones before I choose something else. They have difficulty levels from 1-6, but the easiest ones are really easy. I loved starting out with Cast Marble, then maybe go for something from difficulty 4 and one from 6.

Random suggestions based on my own research: Marble (medium), Equa (hard) and cast o gear (easy) (First ones I bought)

It absolutely does! I am more intrigued by the high level ones atm, though. If you have some already, what were the hardest for you?

I've only just started so the one showing up tomorrow will be my fourth Hanayama. I've gotten one from each level just to try and see where my most comfortable level is. I love that taking them apart is only half the challenge; you need to be able to correctly reassemble them.

My level one was Loop, which didn't take long to take apart and put back together, but the deceptive simplicity of it had me hooked:

thumbnail.asp

My level two was Claw, which was a bit more time consuming, but not really because it was harder. It just had more steps. Something I really liked about this one was that there are three ways to put it back together, two of which are obviously wrong:

472478_30872.jpg

My level three was Delta. Putting it back together is super simple. Taking it apart was tricky. Not hard, mind you. I actually took it apart pretty fast. The thing was, I had no idea what I did to get it to come apart. It wasn't until my fourth time taking it apart that I finally got what I was doing to get it apart. Not because there's some weird trick to it. It just took a while to understand and exploit the underlying mechanism:

Cast-Delta.jpg

My level four will be delivered tomorrow (the one I posted earlier), but won't be home until Sunday night. I'll post impressions if the thread is still humming.

Quick PS: My wife loves these things too.

Toma

I've only just started so the one showing up tomorrow will be my fourth Hanayama. I've gotten one from each level just to try and see where my most comfortable level is. I love that taking them apart is only half the challenge; you need to be able to correctly reassemble them.

My level one was Loop, which didn't take long to take apart and put back together, but the deceptive simplicity of it had me hooked:

thumbnail.asp

My level two was Claw, which was a bit more time consuming, but not really because it was harder. It just had more steps. Something I really liked about this one was that there are three ways to put it back together, two of which are obviously wrong:

472478_30872.jpg

My level three was Delta. Putting it back together is super simple. Taking it apart was tricky. Not hard, mind you. I actually took it apart pretty fast. The thing was, I had no idea what I did to get it to come apart. It wasn't until my fourth time taking it apart that I finally got what I was doing to get it apart. Not because there's some weird trick to it. It just took a while to understand and exploit the underlying mechanism:

Cast-Delta.jpg

My level four will be delivered tomorrow (the one I posted earlier), but won't be home until Sunday night. I'll post impressions if the thread is still humming.

Quick PS: My wife loves these things too.

Thanks for the impressions, havent tried any of these yet! Will post some impressions about the ones I did finish so far as well soonish.

Alexlf

Get multiple ones from the Hanayama Cast series. They are interesting, high quality and all are different. You can get multiple ones for cheap. I will probably buy up all of the high level Hayanama ones before I choose something else. They have difficulty levels from 1-6, but the easiest ones are really easy. I loved starting out with Cast Marble, then maybe go for something from difficulty 4 and one from 6.

Random suggestions based on my own research: Marble (medium), Equa (hard) and cast o gear (easy) (First ones I bought)

Awesome! I just placed a few orders. Thanks for the suggestions!

Toma

Since I'm moving on to a level five and a level six Hanayama soon, do you have any recommendations?

I really liked Marble on level 5 as it felt the best from all and i didnt immediately understand it right away. Even if you solve it quickly, you can make it a very challenging puzzle for friends though, by only showing it assembled and then let them reassemble it.

Havent figured out Equa and News on level 6 yet, so they are more challenging at least, but I cant comment on the quality of the whole puzzle yet, other than having good general reviews.

So these are like The Room games, but real life?

On, FLEB is a game dev. He made the really good puzzler RYB. Need to check out those puzzles

Toma

So these are like The Room games, but real life?

On, FLEB is a game dev. He made the really good puzzler RYB. Need to check out those puzzles
These games usually revolve around puzzles/codes/cyphers, so they arent terribly similar to the mechanical puzzles that have only a mechanical aspect to work with. There are some exceptions, like Isis, but the main attraction is the tactile sensation and it being a sort of puzzle that isnt really replicated in other mediums. Its easy to see though that some videogaming enthusiasts would like these though, especially if someone likes puzzle games in general.

Mindlog

Just realized I have a rather substantial collection of Burr puzzles. Used to receive them pretty regularly as gifts. Some of the puzzles listed wouldn't look out of place on a nice desk and seem great for a few minutes of fidgeting. Will probably pick a few up.

Also 'frowned upon' in the Isis section to prove I read the whole OP. Thank you very much for the interesting topic.

Toma

Just realized I have a rather substantial collection of Burr puzzles. Used to receive them pretty regularly as gifts. Some of the puzzles listed wouldn't look out of place on a nice desk and seem great for a few minutes of fidgeting. Will probably pick a few up.

Also 'frowned upon' in the Isis section to prove I read the whole OP. Thank you very much for the interesting topic.

Oops, thanks for the correction. I would love a few recommendations from your puzzles if there are any that are especially intricate without only relying on sheer amount of pieces. :)

These look really cool. I never really got into those wire puzzles either but I might get one of those Hanayama puzzles. Thanks for sharing

Toma

These look really cool. I never really got into those wire puzzles either but I might get one of those Hanayama puzzles. Thanks for sharing

I thought Marble was a pretty great first pick for me, also because of how nice it is to fiddle around with. Getting some fidget cube vibes from it.

Great thread. I enjoy seeing these things even if I know I won't get one any time soon. It's amazing that people come up with the designs.

1upsuper

Subbed so fast to this thread. I love puzzles and fiddling with things, so these are right up my alley. I'm like you, OP, in that I'm not a big fan of the small wire-y puzzles, nor the string nor wooden block puzzles. But I'm very happy to see there are a whole bunch of more complex, designer products. Though I am disappointed about the availability of a lot of the really cool ones. I watched a video on the Lotus Box and it blew my mind.

Edit: gonna order some Hanayama puzzles this weekend. Thanks for giving me a new package to look forward to, OP.

Toma

Yeah, searching for 4 hours to find none of these complex ones are available for purchase was rather disheartening. Good luck to everybody trying their first hanayama puzzles! Hope you like them as much as I do. :)

I got my Hanayama News earlier today, and I am rather stuck on it. Though I have an idea as to might be involved.

So don't read if you haven't already solved it:

HANAYAMA NEWS - Slight spoilers, not complete solution
My initial thought was to align the NEWS to North, East, South and West which didn't produce any results, but it did make me think maybe it has to do with magnets. So I have touched magnets against it and it seems to affect whatever is rattling on the inside. Though I haven't managed to achieve anything else with it.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Just FYI at my local B&N they started to carry the Hanayama puzzles once they made the big push for board games last year. ~$10 if I remember correctly.

Toma

Just FYI at my local B&N they started to carry the Hanayama puzzles once they made the big push for board games last year. ~$10 if I remember correctly.
That is a pretty sweet deal actually, saves you almost 30$ on the level 6 set.

Hmmm... I've always loved playing around with these, but have never owned any. Maybe I should pick up some mid-level puzzles.

Toma

I got my Hanayama News earlier today, and I am rather stuck on it. Though I have an idea as to might be involved.

So don't read if you haven't already solved it:

I am stuck on that puzzle as well and wanted to comment that it is so hard not to look at your hint and when I replied, I noticed that a reply automatically unspoilered your text. I felt like shielding my eyes after looking suddenly into the sun. :p

But yeah, I have an idea as well, but so far I cant even make heads or tails how that idea might actually lead to the puzzle opening.

Lafazar

I am stuck on that puzzle as well and wanted to comment that it is so hard not to look at your hint and when I replied, I noticed that a reply automatically unspoilered your text. I felt like shielding my eyes after looking suddenly into the sun. :p

But yeah, I have an idea as well, but so far I cant even make heads or tails how that idea might actually lead to the puzzle opening.

I was quite disappointed with the mechanism in that particular puzzle when I got it open, which happened pretty much immediately after got it. It can actually be opened by accident in lots of boring ways, including just throwing it in the air, which is how I got it open so quickly.

Toma

spoiler stuff

Hey, just a quick hint on spoiler tags, it always helps if you preface the spoiler text with some basic info, so people know if they should read it or not. ;)

Not a big issue, but yeah, I managed to get it open now as well. Need to investigate how the mechanism actually works so I can figure out what the hell I am actually supposed to open it. :p

Edit: I think its a cool idea, especially now that I understand how its actually supposed to be solved, but yeah, it might not be the best one to try first if you just pick one of the Hanayama puzzles.

Lotto

Always enjoy a good puzzle, equal parts frustrating and fun. Will check some of these out when I have time, had no idea there was so much variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom