• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mechanical Disassembly Puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafazar

Hey, just a quick hint on spoiler tags, it always helps if you preface the spoiler text with some basic info, so people know if they should read it or not. ;)

Not a big issue, but yeah, I managed to get it open now as well. Need to investigate how the mechanism actually works so I can figure out what the hell I am actually supposed to open it. :p

Edit: I think its a cool idea, especially now that I understand how its actually supposed to be solved, but yeah, it might not be the best one to try first if you just pick one of the Hanayama puzzles.

I recommend everything designed by Oscar van Deventer. The guy is brilliant:
http://oskarvandeventer.nl/hanayama.html

His Youtube channel is very interesting as well:
https://www.youtube.com/user/OskarPuzzle/videos

1upsuper

I looked into those Isis Adventure and Revomaze puzzles and they look so cool. Very nice presentation and they look and sound hard as hell. Plus, the meta puzzle going on across all of their respective puzzles sounds crazy. They're crazy expensive, though I'm kinda tempted to pick up the first Revomaze...anyone try that series?

Red

Do any of these puzzles besides the one specifically mentioned use magnets or hidden hooks to hold pieces together? I enjoy solving a problem by thinking through it, but I have little patience for twisting and shaking things hoping for a hidden mechanism to click into place before parts can be placed or removed.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright some longer impressions on the puzzles I solved so far:

Marble - level 5/6:
cast_puzzle_marble.jpg

Thats the first one I grabbed after I read a few reviews that mentioned this still being their favourite of the series. Its definitely one of the best looking. Even though the mechanic actually is rather simple, it could take you a bit to figure it out unless you immediately have the right idea. Once taken apart, it turns out reassembling it is actually quite a bit harder, and if you have a friend who wants a good challenge, just show him the final piece and give him the individual parts to assemble them without having deconstructed it. He'll be busy for a while. :p I also love seeing it in motion, its a really, really well designed piece.

Cast o Gear - level 3/6:
O-Gear-Hanayama-Cast-Puzzle.jpg

That one was a lot easier as you only need 2-3 minutes to figure out all the important details and the way to solve it. Then its just a matter of following that solution. Depending on your spatial imagination skills, you'll need more or less time for that. Some people still might take 10min+ for this, even though its not particularly hard. What I really liked was the designer thinking out of the box here, providing a mechanism that still manages to awe when you start fiddling around with it.
Protip: I found this out earlier today when preparing my Cast o Gear for someone else. You can actually increase the difficulty of this puzzle a good amount by giving it a different starting position. The cube has two very obvious dents in it, which are used as a "stand" for the star (not related to the solution). Well, turns out through some positioning you can put the star there on the "wrong side". If you give the puzzle to someone now, they might quickly reach the goal, but on the wrong side. Almost drove a friend of mine nuts today, but if you need another hint how to do this, let me know. :p Just for reference, the picture above shows the "standard" positioning. Imagine the star twisted 180 degrees.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do any of these puzzles besides the one specifically mentioned use magnets or hidden hooks to hold pieces together? I enjoy solving a problem by thinking through it, but I have little patience for twisting and shaking things hoping for a hidden mechanism to click into place before parts can be placed or removed.

@all: Do not read this if you dont want a puzzle spoiled:
You might want to skip on Hanayama NEWS, but all the other Hanayamas should be great choices then.

Thanks Toma, because of this thread I was looking at the Hanayama stuff for 2 hours and ordered the Cast Donuts Puzzle as my first puzzle.
Had to resist getting 5-6 different ones at the same time

1upsuper

I checked out my local Barnes & Noble and they had a fair selection of Hanayama puzzles, but only levels 4-6. I picked up Marble, Nutcase, and Labyrinth. I just got done with Marble. This thing is so elegantly designed, and it feels good to fiddle with. It took me a lot longer to put it back together than take it apart. But once you figure out it, it's very smooth.

Toma

Thanks Toma, because of this thread I was looking at the Hanayama stuff for 2 hours and ordered the Cast Donuts Puzzle as my first puzzle.
Had to resist getting 5-6 different ones at the same time

Yeah, I tried to resist too... then I ordered 4. And after solving 3, I am now very likely to order even more rather... soon.

Followed this thread thinking it'd be fun to keep up but seeing the prices of the Hanayama made me just grab a handful. Coming from Amazon I have these:
  • Equa
  • News
  • Marble
  • Vortex
  • Nutcase
Largely picked off of a mix of appearance and some of the talk in this thread.

I'm trying to own less stuff since I have way too much clutter but I don't have much for my desk at work so I figure these will likely end up there and they fit my personality fairly well as everyone knows I enjoy trivia and puzzles.

And I'm trusting Toma on this since I enjoy their puzzle game and indie game discussions.

Lurch666

This is my goto puzzle as I do a lot of bike rallys and like to pull this one out for shits n giggles.

2017-02-26%2010.03.00_zpsffkvhdtr.jpg

It's not that difficult once you have the knack but the best thing about it (apart from being super robust) is that you can show someone how to solve it,give them a try and they still won't be able to do it.

Toma

Alright, since I cant start this thread and not have enough input on more puzzles, I just bought 9 more:
Chain (6/6), Quartet(6/6), Square(6/6), Vortex(5/6), Ring II(5/6), Padlock(5/6), Cylinder(4/6), Hexagon(4/6), Rattle(4/6)

...yes, I just wanted a reason :D

Toma

Also: I might as well start ranking the ones I have finished for fun:

Like the most:
1. Marble
2. O Gear
3. NEWS

Difficulty:
1. NEWS
2. Marble
3. O Gear

Xe4

Banned
I fucking love these. The most I've ever messed around with was bent metal and wire ones, but I've been meaning to try others.

Made me think of that Japanese show where a guy couldn't solve a rope/ring/hoop puzzle for 10 years:

https://youtu.be/08QmPfwFLQg

I'm fascinated by these sorts of puzzles, but I've never felt compelled to buy any of them. There needs to be a puzzle netflix so once you solve it, you send it back. That, or a have a national network of libraries implement a rotating stock of puzzles for people to come in and try.

This video is honestly like someone unlocking the secrets of the universe to me. I was absolutely enthralled the first time I saw it.

Cool thread :)

I have just ordered the Hanayama News as a result:

000311.png

Also subbed.

I own several of the Hanayama puzzles listed in this thread (as well as one other), and this particular one is still my favorite. You can fiddle with it for hours and feel like you're accomplishing nothing at all, but once you figure out the trick it's really, really simple to assemble and disassemble. What I dislike about some of these puzzles is how fiddly they can be even when you know the solution, but this one doesn't suffer from that. It's a real mindbender with an incredibly clever trick.

Toma

This video is honestly like someone unlocking the secrets of the universe to me. I was absolutely enthralled the first time I saw it.

After seeing the video, I am not terribly surprised some people cant figure out the solution in 10 years of trying. Not sure I could have.

(as well as one other)

Whats the other one?

Whats the other one?

Make that two others. I misremembered. The five I own are:

News:
000311.png

Nutcase:
000689.png

There's a small nut trapped inside this one and no obvious way to get it out. You're supposed to get it out of there.

Cylinder:
007153.png

Simple to disassemble, still haven't figured out how to assemble it again.

Marble:
001914.png

This one I also haven't figured out how to reassemble after having disassembled it. It might be my least favorite of the bunch apart from the visuals, as it feels like I need four hands to put it back together.

Chain:
000304.png

One of my favorites. You're supposed to take the three pieces apart, and there are three ways in which they can be assembled, with slightly different solutions and difficulties. While I can take it apart and put it back together, I still feel like I haven't learned everything I can about it yet.

Toma

This one I also haven't figured out how to reassemble after having disassembled it. It might be my least favorite of the bunch apart from the visuals, as it feels like I need four hands to put it back together.

The Marble puzzle really clicked for me once I figured out how to easily reassemble it. Its actually one of the most intriguing parts about the design and I highly recommend puzzling with it some more to find out how to do it without 4 hands. ;)

Rad-

Made me think of that Japanese show where a guy couldn't solve a rope/ring/hoop puzzle for 10 years:

https://youtu.be/08QmPfwFLQg

I'm fascinated by these sorts of puzzles, but I've never felt compelled to buy any of them. There needs to be a puzzle netflix so once you solve it, you send it back. That, or a have a national network of libraries implement a rotating stock of puzzles for people to come in and try.

I didn't expect a Final Fantasy song at the end.

Toma

So, the one girl who is VERY good with Rubiks cubes of higher difficulties and such puzzles finally managed to figure out how to assemble Marble. I had not allowed her to disassemble it first to make it harder for her and combined it took her around 2 hours.

Was super fun to watch her break her head over something the others figured out within 20 minutes because they knew the disassemble mechanism. :D

She enjoyed it immensely too, though, and wouldnt have wanted it any other way.

Mindlog

Going to pick up the Marble tomorrow at B&N. Will probably grab a few more depending on their selection. Thanks for the heads up that they're available.

So, the one girl who is VERY good with Rubiks cubes of higher difficulties and such puzzles finally managed to figure out how to assemble Marble. I had not allowed her to disassemble it first to make it harder for her and combined it took her around 2 hours.

Was super fun to watch her break her head over something the others figured out within 20 minutes because they knew the disassemble mechanism. :D

She enjoyed it immensely too, though, and wouldnt have wanted it any other way.

Would you suggest I have someone else disassemble Marble first before I do it my first time so I have a larger challenge reassembling it? It sounds like that's how to get the most value out of it in terms of time investment. I guess I'll try to persuade my roommate to take it apart and then work on it from there.

1upsuper

Would you suggest I have someone else disassemble Marble first before I do it my first time so I have a larger challenge reassembling it? It sounds like that's how to get the most value out of it in terms of time investment. I guess I'll try to persuade my roommate to take it apart and then work on it from there.

That might be ideal, but I don't think it's necessary. I disassembled it first and it still took me much longer to put it back together than take it apart. When you first take it apart you might not fully realize what you did until later.

Toma

That might be ideal, but I don't think it's necessary. I disassembled it first and it still took me much longer to put it back together than take it apart. When you first take it apart you might not fully realize what you did until later.

Yeah, but it really depends on how much he pays attention in that exact moment. A friend of mine was aware of this situation and disassembled/reassembled it within 5 minutes.

At the very least its a pretty unique challenge to do reassemble first, sure go for it.

Toma

Sooo, two new puzzles arrived today:

Vortex (6/6) and Cylinder (4/6):

As always, material is fantastic and upon first touching them I have no clue how to even proceed. Cylinder has two rings that you can rotate without any resistance. And Vortex is even more bepuzzling on first sight as I dont even know how to start moving the thing.

Super neat. :)

1upsuper

I'm definitely interested in those two. Honestly I could see myself very slowly amassing the whole collection.

I've been farting around with Labyrinth which is a fun one, but maddening at the same time. And after handling Nut Case for a while I have zero clue how to make any progress.

I was looking at getting that one soon. Lemme know what you think once you get it.

I got it this morning and after 2 hours of playing around I only got the first movement step (I think..can't imagine how it should start any other way.). Don't know if I'm just stuck/doing something wrong or I'm just not using enough force.

This is my goto puzzle as I do a lot of bike rallys and like to pull this one out for shits n giggles.

2017-02-26%2010.03.00_zpsffkvhdtr.jpg

It's not that difficult once you have the knack but the best thing about it (apart from being super robust) is that you can show someone how to solve it,give them a try and they still won't be able to do it.

I had this one as a kid, and numerous others, but this was the only one I really got the hang of.

I got it this morning and after 2 hours of playing around I only got the first movement step (I think..can't imagine how it should start any other way.). Don't know if I'm just stuck/doing something wrong or I'm just not using enough force.

My experience with these puzzles is that if you're using a lot of force, you're trying the wrong thing. It's gotta be something else.

Toma

I have owned this for at least 8 years and not solved it.

I solved it accidentally and then carefully examined the mechanism to check what might actually be the solution before putting it back together.

Toma

It took me around a day to solve and reassemble the cylinder one with on and off fiddling. I absolutely love the mechanism. It was really fun to play with the rotation and figure out how its exactly set up. As usual, putting it back together was a rather intriguing challenge as well and I hope I now have a good grasp of the mechanism.

Very, very fun one.

I also did Square pretty quickly:

Its actually the first one I dont particularly like. Its very prone to falling apart on its own and I dont enjoy solving/reassembling it as I do with the others. Difficulty wise, its also nowhere near the categorized 6/6, so this one is probably my least liked of the Hanayama puzzles so far.

I'd say my current rating is now:

Like the most:
1. Marble
2. Cylinder
3. O Gear
4. NEWS
5. Square

Difficulty:
1. NEWS
2. Cylinder
3. Marble
4. Square
5. O Gear

Toma

Finished Hexagon as well:

That was quite a bit easier than the other puzzles, but it was nice to have something more straight forward for once. Starting this puzzle, you very quickly get an idea what to look out for and its really just a matter of following patterns and a bit of logic until you arrive at the goal. Its not gonna be one of the puzzles I'll take out a lot as the 2D plane isnt that satisfying to fiddle with, but its a nice little puzzle to figure out even if its not as outstanding as the others.

Like the most:
1. Marble
2. Cylinder
3. O Gear
4. NEWS
5. Hexagon
6. Square

Difficulty:
1. NEWS
2. Cylinder
3. Marble
4. Square
5. Hexagon
6. O Gear

So I got Cylinder a few days ago and I've got to say, it's probably my least favorite Hanayama puzzle so far (which isn't saying a lot since I do still like it, just not as much as the others I've tried).

The problem comes down to the fact that the actual mechanism to solve it is completely invisible until after you've stumbled thru it and solved it on accident.

I solved it via dumb luck in about a half hour, and after studying the insides a bit, I was able to put it back together with no hassle.

The actual solution is really pretty cool, but it's something you can't really discover in any way until after you've taken it apart.

Anyway, Padlock (level 5) is on its way to my house from Amazon. Hopefully that one relies less on blind luck.

Toma

So I got Cylinder a few days ago and I've got to say, it's probably my least favorite Hanayama puzzle so far (which isn't saying a lot since I do still like it, just not as much as the others I've tried).

The problem comes down to the fact that the actual mechanism to solve it is completely invisible until after you've stumbled thru it and solved it on accident.

I solved it via dumb luck in about a half hour, and after studying the insides a bit, I was able to put it back together with no hassle.

The actual solution is really pretty cool, but it's something you can't really discover in any way until after you've taken it apart.

Anyway, Padlock (level 5) is on its way to my house from Amazon. Hopefully that one relies less on blind luck.

I kinda disagree tbh, as I didnt open the puzzle just based on pure luck and managed to get the right idea about the inner construction just by observing the individual pieces and resistances to each other for 1-2 hours. Funnily enough, thats also why Cylinder is one of my favourite puzzles so far, but I guess the experience can vary quite a bit between people.

I kinda disagree tbh, as I didnt open the puzzle just based on pure luck and managed to get the right idea about the inner construction just by observing the individual pieces and resistances to each other for 1-2 hours. Funnily enough, thats also why Cylinder is one of my favourite puzzles so far, but I guess the experience can vary quite a bit between people.

I can understand that. Once I took it apart and saw
how the holes in the little rails along the inside of the round parts had 1/3 circumference breaks that align with the 1/3 circumference pieces,
I appreciated it more. It was actually similar to how I thought it would look just based on looking at the picture before ordering.

For me though, I only needed to
turn the rings a couple times before one of the inner pieces fell in. Once that happened, it was a quick turn to get another to fall in, and from there, I just putzed around until I got it.

I appreciate what they did. I just didn't feel that sense of accomplishment I normally get from completing these puzzles.

Toma

I can understand that. Once I took it apart and saw
how the holes in the little rails along the inside of the round parts had 1/3 circumference breaks that align with the 1/3 circumference pieces,
I appreciated it more. It was actually similar to how I thought it would look just based on looking at the picture before ordering.

For me though, I only needed to
turn the rings a couple times before one of the inner pieces fell in. Once that happened, it was a quick turn to get another to fall in, and from there, I just putzed around until I got it.

I appreciate what they did. I just didn't feel that sense of accomplishment I normally get from completing these puzzles.

Yeah, unfortunate to hear. It was actually one of the biggest accomplishment feelings I had, but I am curious how others are going to judge it. Gonna give it around to some friends next week.

RCSI

I have solved cast devil (granted, I forced it the first time) and a string/hoop wooden puzzle. It did pique my interest and those puzzles you listed look fascinating.

Yeah, unfortunate to hear. It was actually one of the biggest accomplishment feelings I had, but I am curious how others are going to judge it. Gonna give it around to some friends next week.

I got Marble at Barnes and Noble a bit ago. Took it apart right away, and even though putting it back together is
literally just a reverse of how you took it apart,
I wasn't paying attention and had a bitch of a time putting it back.

But the puzzle itself is outstanding. Elegant and deceptive, with everything you need to know to solve it just sitting right in front of you.

Another fantastic Hanayama. Can't wait for Padlock to get here.

1upsuper

I've now finished Labyrinth and Nut Case. Labyrinth is a lot of fun. It's unlike a lot of the others in that you'll know exactly what you need to do once you've got it in hand. It's just finding the right path which is tough.

I can't recommend Nut Case. It's terribly tedious in a way the others aren't. The design also isn't rock solid enough to warrant the level of precision necessary to solve it, and it's also really hard on the hands. Hoping to find a better level 6 to try.

I got all five of mine I ordered the other day. Vortex is really making me feel dumb in the best way. I keep thinking I'm making progress, make a twist, and it just goes back or gets more tangled up.

My roommate is working on Marble to give it back to me in pieces.

Edit: My roommate took apart Marble but I haven't gotten it back together. I've toyed with each of them with varying levels of success. I don't think NEWS will be a style I enjoy after getting my hands on it. Vortex I'm unsure how much progress I've made but I've made some. Same could be said for Equa, which I feel like I've done the best. Nutcase I'm getting some ideas but not much more than that. I've only spent around five minutes with each with Marble being the only one I've fiddled with for longer while watching some stuff. I think I'll enjoy giving them a little time here and there.

I do think I have a couple good ideas on Marble but it's tough to say if I'm trying the wrong thing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom