• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mechanical Disassembly Puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just put Marble back together and I'm floored. Really impressive design. I kind of wrote off some of the praise I'd read about how elegant it is but once all the pieces came together I couldn't help but smile. It's such a pure and simple mechanical solution. I kept looking for some sort of trick but it's actually pretty straight forward.

I got it apart in just a few minutes but didn't pay close attention. No idea how long it took to reassemble. Between work and BotW I only put in a few minutes here and there over the last week and never sat down to seriously solve it until tonight.

Not sure what I'll get next but between the two I've done so far (Galaxy & Marble) I'm very pleased with Hanayama's puzzles.

Yeah, the moment I put Marble back together and understood its design was when I fell in love with these things. If you thought the difficulty of Marble was enough for now, Rattle would be my suggestion. If you want a higher difficulty, then Padlock.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just finished Labyrinth.

30852hy.jpg

I really enjoyed this one! The design is so unique, where the answer is literally laid out in front of you with no illusions as to what you've got to do. It's just "solve a dual-sided maze." Straightforward and clean. I'd say the only part I wasn't a fan of was the fact that the full name isn't on the piece (it just says LABY). I'm a nerd for that sort of thing.

Cake will be here tomorrow.

Makes me want a Revomaze again >_> I went ahead and wished for the hardest Revomaze for my birthday in may. Very curious.

Toma

Did you ever solve Equa? I've been eyeballing it for a bit; curious what you think.

Playing with it every day for a few minutes, Still havent figured it out and I didnt make much progress, so I cant really comment on the quality of the puzzle yet.

Got my GF Marble for a gift. She disassembled it (rather accidentally) in about 15 minutes. It's been about 4 hours of on-and-off work, and she hasn't come all that close to putting it back together.

A minute ago, staring at the pieces, she said, "You befuddle me."

We have a winner.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So this thread is fascinating as hell. Three questions...

1) Is there another forum/subreddit that has a more active discussion on this sort of stuff? I play puzzle games just about every single day, and physical puzzles are amazing fun (not a huge fan of jigsaw, but these types of things are fun).

2) Are there any puzzles out there that feel like legit "Indiana Jones" level shit? Just really crazy, difficult, but rewarding experiences? Not like the puzzle in the OP where you had to smack the puzzle super hard on a table and cause damage to stuff...But like legit brain busters.

3) Online only or do physical stores carry this stuff?

Just got 5 more of these, essentially doubling my collection in size. The new ones are:

- Padlock
- Donuts
- Rattle
- Ring II
- Laby

Going to take my sweet time with these. Ring II in particular looks really daunting, giving me that awesome "this is physically impossible" impression right away.

Toma

Going to take my sweet time with these. Ring II in particular looks really daunting, giving me that awesome "this is physically impossible" impression right away.

I looked at this for quite a while now and I cant fathom how its supposed to be solvable. Crazy.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I bought a bunch of the hanayama. Can't wait for them to get here. Mostly your recs toma :)

I got marble, padlock, aqua, news, quartet, and I think... cylinder? They should be here this weekend

Can someone tell me how infinity and detroit is, they look like they are nice to play with.
For those I don't care too much about the puzzle part

Just solved Hexagon on accident. I played with it off and on for quite a while with no luck, but today without even spending much time it just came apart.

I got Cake on Sunday, and after working with it off and on for the last two days, I have no clue what I'm doing. It's frustrating in the best possible way.

It's weird though: Cake is a Level 4, but I'm having a tougher time solving it than any Level 4, 5, or 6 I've tried (other than Quartet, which I really disliked the design of).

I'll update when/if I solve Cake.

I picked up Marble because of this thread. I took it apart within a couple of minutes and was a little disappointed with how easy it seemed but I'm still struggling to get it back together so I'm thinking I really don't understand it at all which is a good thing.

I just got NEWS.

I noticed right away there was something jiggling inside. I just kept shaking it and pulling at it, looking at the cracks with a light behind it, was about to put it down and try again later and it fell apart on its own. Uhhh...I feel dissatisfied. it's a nice piece but I don't feel like i solved it on my own, and it took all of 5 minutes.

Toma

I just got NEWS.

I noticed right away there was something jiggling inside. I just kept shaking it and pulling at it, looking at the cracks with a light behind it, was about to put it down and try again later and it fell apart on its own. Uhhh...I feel dissatisfied. it's a nice piece but I don't feel like i solved it on my own, and it took all of 5 minutes.

Yeah, NEWS really is hit or miss with everyone. Its still a unique piece of design and nice to give it to other people, but its definitely different from the others.

I just got NEWS.

Taking it apart doesn't mean you've solved it. Understanding the puzzle and being able to take it apart and put it back together quickly and confidently means you've solved it.

Spladam

After skimming through this thread I had to google "Real Hellraiser Puzzle Box". It appears no such thing exist yet, sadly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After skimming through this thread I had to google "Real Hellraiser Puzzle Box". It appears no such thing exist yet, sadly.

They exist as a collectible. I think anyone who knows what the Puzzle Box is would never really solve the box. It would always sit and stare at the owner...

Unrelated, I discovered that I had one of those 3D Crystal puzzles in a cabinet at home. It was the Castle - some 100 pieces. That was maddening yet rewarding. I guess I'll add a few more of those to my collection (alongside my grossly huge collection of Metal Earth models).

Where do you order these puzzles you guys are getting? Amazong? eBay? Big box websites?

MikeDip

They exist as a collectible. I think anyone who knows what the Puzzle Box is would never really solve the box. It would always sit and stare at the owner...

Unrelated, I discovered that I had one of those 3D Crystal puzzles in a cabinet at home. It was the Castle - some 100 pieces. That was maddening yet rewarding. I guess I'll add a few more of those to my collection (alongside my grossly huge collection of Metal Earth models).

Where do you order these puzzles you guys are getting? Amazong? eBay? Big box websites?
How are the crystal puzzles in general? Fun to build? Hold together well when finished? I want the treasure chest one

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How are the crystal puzzles in general? Fun to build? Hold together well when finished? I want the treasure chest one

I have only done the one, but I found it to be a pretty neat experience. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be, either. I believe all of the puzzles have a pin/rod mechanism that locks everything into place once assembled, so they will stay together fine for display purposes.

Fun to build is a matter of opinion. If you enjoy LEGO or model kits, yes; If you find them silly or not worth your time, then absolutely not. They aren't like these mechanical puzzles in that you won't take them apart and put them back together repeatedly or use them as unique conversation pieces. Instead, you'll assemble it to display it for some amount of time before either putting it away or rebuilding it.

Toma

The Crystal puzzles look interesting, but they only seem to be relatively small 40-100 piece puzzles. I might buy one if I get more puzzle time from it.

As for websites, I guess the most common for me is Amazon, but while researching, I found a few interesting english ones, like this one for Australia:
http://www.mrpuzzle.com.au

Toma

Also: The dot box apparently was sent to me, but I am currently not at home to check. Will report back on this next week.

Additionally, I will now grab one of those Hidden Maze puzzles. I just read that the Smart Egg Black Dragon one is supposed to be rather difficult, so I am intrigued enough :D

3_black_dragon.jpg

2_layer-1024x464.png

Taking it apart doesn't mean you've solved it. Understanding the puzzle and being able to take it apart and put it back together quickly and confidently means you've solved it.
NEWS spoiler
Thanks, good to know there's a trick to getting it done quickly. I actually had played with spinning it but wasn't sure if it was sure fire. It seems as though for the pins to retract cleanly, the middle portion has to be facing down. If the middle bridge is on top, the pin retracts partially but leaves a millimeter or so sticking out. So it has to be spun then flipped in the parallel direction with the top half's middle portion (so that the pins in the bottom half don't fall out again) and spun again.
That's as much as I've figured and seems to work repeatedly.

NEWS spoiler
Thanks, good to know there's a trick to getting it done quickly. I actually had played with spinning it but wasn't sure if it was sure fire. It seems as though for the pins to retract cleanly, the middle portion has to be facing down. If the middle bridge is on top, the pin retracts partially but leaves a millimeter or so sticking out. So it has to be spun then flipped in the parallel direction with the top half's middle portion (so that the pins in the bottom half don't fall out again) and spun again.
That's as much as I've figured and seems to work repeatedly.

That's pretty much the solution I've settled on as well. Mine has become a little less reliable over time, but what you describe worked pretty much every time before.

Finally finished Cake earlier today. Definitely one of the trickier ones I've tried, especially considering it's a Level 4. I figured out what a needed to do long before I figured out how to do it.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 5 being average, I'd give Cake a 6.5. It's good, but not great. Though it is fantastic for just absent-mindedly fiddling with!

MikeDip

Finally finished Cake earlier today. Definitely one of the trickier ones I've tried, especially considering it's a Level 4. I figured out what a needed to do long before I figured out how to do it.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 5 being average, I'd give Cake a 6.5. It's good, but not great. Though it is fantastic for just absent-mindedly fiddling with!
Which are the best for absent mindedly fiddling with? I want some for that, I think I got puzzle ones for now. But I really want fiddling ones too

Toma

Which are the best for absent mindedly fiddling with? I want some for that, I think I got puzzle ones for now. But I really want fiddling ones too

Probably Marble and Rattle, I just asked a few friends what they preferred for that purpose.

Toma

I havent solved it yet, but I dont recommend Ring II, as the purpose is not to take it apart, but to align the 5 connected rings back to the big ring. I find that incredibly underwhelming and unappealing. Wish I knew that earlier.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I found Marble and Chain at Walmart of all places. So I picked them up.

Got Marble apart in 2-3 minutes, but I spent close to an hour trying to get it back together to no avail. I feel like I know HOW to get it back together, but it feels like I can't stabilize everything to make it work. Should I be able to slide it back together with ease, or is it an exercise in balance and patience like I think it is?

Also, I want one of those hidden maze puzzles now...

I found Marble and Chain at Walmart of all places. So I picked them up.

Got Marble apart in 2-3 minutes, but I spent close to an hour trying to get it back together to no avail. I feel like I know HOW to get it back together, but it feels like I can't stabilize everything to make it work. Should I be able to slide it back together with ease, or is it an exercise in balance and patience like I think it is?

Also, I want one of those hidden maze puzzles now...

Not really a spoiler for Marble
when you get it you'll be like oh ya that makes sense and it is beautiful and perfect. It is easily repeatable.

Babalu.

AWESOME that i saw this thread.

Ive owned 3 Hanayama for about a year now.

H & H which ive been able to take apart a few times. level 5

Quartet: currently working on this one. pretty hard. level 6

Enigma: havent even opened yet until i finish quartet.

I love these things. Might have to try marble with so much praise in here.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Alright, thanks for the clarifications on Marble. I'll tinker with it more this weekend.

I opened up Chain. This one will be a doozy. I feel like I see the tools in front of me, but I have NO idea what to do with them.

Fox Mulder

I just got the O'Gear Hanayama puzzle in the mail today and beat it in like 10 minutes after opening it.

Way easier that the labyrinth I bought earlier, but it's still a great piece to fiddle with and looks nice. These are neat for like $10.

Alright, thanks for the clarifications on Marble. I'll tinker with it more this weekend.

I opened up Chain. This one will be a doozy. I feel like I see the tools in front of me, but I have NO idea what to do with them.
How much was Chain at Walmart? Maybe I will stop by on the way home. I really expected NEWS to last me longer, and Chain looks like it could take a while.

I loved Chain. One of my favorite Hanayama puzzles, and for the exact reason you gave. Everything you need to know is right in front of you. It just challenges you to figure it out.

Labyrinth is similar in that way, despite being a completely different kind of puzzle.

Keyouta

I've always liked the ring and string puzzles as a kid, I just ordered the NEWS puzzle. I'm intrigued by the difficulty.

MikeDip

Took apart and put back together marble.

AMAZING!

That moment when you put it together and see how it all just... I dunno I can't even say it for fear of spoiling.

But it's a great feeling. I loved it.

Working on NEWS now, Stuck.

I got O'Gear yesterday. Haven't really had a chance to mess with it much, but I think I know how to solve it. It's just getting it there that'll be the challenge.

Loving the unique design though!

s-l300.jpg

My grandparents had a few of these at their house when I was young and visited them. They were awesome as none of us grandkids could solve them at the time, but gradually we figured them out. Great way to exercise the brain.

Toma

Chain is still destroying my brain.

That is all.

Chain is a great piece. Havent solved it yet, but I was teasing a friend with something I figured out about it, while he was teasing me with a move that I still couldnt figure out myself yet. Good stuff.

LProtag

Rattle sorta fell apart on me. I think I know how to put it back together, but I'm struggling.

Time to buy some new puzzles once I figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom