• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mechanical Disassembly Puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did it take you to solve these?

I just unpacked the News. I have no idea where to start. This is so much fun. With the design and all, it really makes you feel like Indiana Jones.

Twist I got it apart by accident once, but I still can't do it on demand without a lot of fiddling. Chain I can do now in about 5 minutes (I have to re-remember the exact sequence every time I pick it up, but the general idea is easy to remember). Elk still takes me a while to solve even though I've done it a couple of times because the two pieces look so similar to each other it's hard to orient yourself.

For my first time solving them, Twist took a couple of hours, chain took a couple of days, and elk took a couple of weeks. (at ~1-3 hours / day off and on)

I love the Hanayama cast puzzles, have quite a few of them.

Hands down the most difficult I've ever attempted was Enigma, still have never solved it or gotten anywhere close.

http://www.hanayama-toys.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65_75&product_id=183&level=6

+1 for enigma's difficulty. Never solved it.

Just got Chain (level 6) last night. Solved it and put it back together in about three hours. Took another solve to understand exactly what I was doing.

I love this kind of puzzle, where the solution is staring you in the face but you have to work to discover it. Definitely prefer this level 6 to Quartet.

On a side note: Does anyone know if Hanayama is still making new puzzles? The news section of their website hasn't been updated in three years, which is usually a pretty bad sign.

Zissou

Just got Chain (level 6) last night. Solved it and put it back together in about three hours. Took another solve to understand exactly what I was doing.

I love this kind of puzzle, where the solution is staring you in the face but you have to work to discover it. Definitely prefer this level 6 to Quartet.

On a side note: Does anyone know if Hanayama is still making new puzzles? The news section of their website hasn't been updated in three years, which is usually a pretty bad sign.

I only just started getting into these, so it's hard for me to parse, but I imagine someone more familiar with the existing hanayama puzzles available abroad could check out what's available on their Japanese site and see if there's stuff we haven't gotten yet.

I only just started getting into these, so it's hard for me to parse, but I imagine someone more familiar with the existing hanayama puzzles available abroad could check out what's available on their Japanese site and see if there's stuff we haven't gotten yet.

😯

Mother of god...

I see new ones on there!

New ones I want!

New ones I don't know how to get!

Zissou

😯

Mother of god...

I see new ones on there!

New ones I want!

They are sold on amazon.co.jp, so you could get them that way (probably?). The site has an English option to make the menus and such easy to navigate. I used to live in Japan, so if you need any help navigating the site or finding specific puzzles or whatever, I would be happy to help!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
😯

Mother of god...

I see new ones on there!

New ones I want!

Can you post pictures of the ones that are not yet available in the west and their difficulty level? Only took a quick glance, but couldnt see new ones in level 6 or 5.

They definitely release new puzzles. I buy all mine from puzzlemaster.ca and I subscribe to their newsletter, and every month or so I get emails about new puzzles. Whether that means Puzzlemaster just got it in stock for the first time or whether it's *actually* new, I don't know.

They are sold on amazon.co.jp, so you could get them that way (probably?). The site has an English option to make the menus and such easy to navigate. I used to live in Japan, so if you need any help navigating the site or finding specific puzzles or whatever, I would be happy to help!

Can you post pictures of the ones that are not yet available in the west and their difficulty level? Only took a quick glance, but couldnt see new ones in level 6 or 5.

I should clarify, they're new to me, in that I haven't seen them before. I don't know if anyone else has.

I used a translator on the page and looked up a couple of the new (to me) ones. I found them on Amazon too.

There's Cake:

H171-Cast-Cake-Hanayama-01.jpg

And Diamond:

Cast-Diamond-Hanayama-04.jpg

I haven't dug super deep yet, but those are the two I saw that jumped out at me as "new." Sorry if they're actually old and I got anyone's hopes up. I'm just really hopeful that they still make puzzles. I'd hate to go through all of them with nothing new to look forward to.

They definitely release new puzzles. I buy all mine from puzzlemaster.ca and I subscribe to their newsletter, and every month or so I get emails about new puzzles. Whether that means Puzzlemaster just got it in stock for the first time or whether it's *actually* new, I don't know.

Hmmmm...I need to sign up for that then.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Neeeat, I can even find these on German Amazon. I guess the only issue is that they never updated their EN Hana website.

Toma

Of course it's not on Amazon...

There are some on eBay but they want like $25 including shipping.

The chess pieces are like 35€ plus shipping for me in Germany.

Just went back and looked at my list, the ones I got for my long plane ride are Infinity, Quartet, Ring II, H&H, Padlock, Helix, and Duet.

1upsuper

Has anyone tried Labyrinth? I've been eyeing it for a couple days.

That was the second one I solved. It's pretty fun, I liked it. It's an interesting concept and solving it is a bit more complex than you would probably expect.

Toma

Finally solved Padlock. I gotta admit that was probably the most interesting solution steps of any Hanayama puzzle so far. Its pretty neat how there are multiple different states of this piece and you really need to use your head a bit to get it solved (unless you get super lucky.)

Highly recommended, if it werent for the marvellously designed Marble, this would be my favourite now. If you picked up a few Hanayamas, make sure this one is among them.

Like the most:
1. Marble
2. Padlock
3. Cylinder
4. Rattle
5. O Gear
6. NEWS
7. Hexagon
8. Square

Difficulty:
1. NEWS
2. Padlock
3. Cylinder
4. Square
5. Marble
6. Rattle
7. Hexagon
8. O Gear

So I fondled the Marble while watching tv last night and didn't get beyond the initial movement. Am I correct that nothing should require much force in these puzzles in general? Children can do these, right?

I've kinda figured that the marble has to align in the same direction as the outside part and then should be able to be pulled apart together but haven't gotten it to do so. It feels like i could probably force it but i'm only doing gentle movements.

Regardless if I'm warm or cold on solution idea please just tell me that no force is needed or maybe a little force is needed.

Nm I got it. Smooth.

So I fondled the Marble while watching tv last night and didn't get beyond the initial movement. Am I correct that nothing should require much force in these puzzles in general? Children can do these, right?

I've kinda figured that the marble has to align in the same direction as the outside part and then should be able to be pulled apart together but haven't gotten it to do so. It feels like i could probably force it but i'm only doing gentle movements.

Regardless if I'm warm or cold on solution idea please just tell me that no force is needed or maybe a little force is needed.

Nm I got it. Smooth.

I see you got it, but just wanted to remark that all of the Hanayama puzzles are made so that you never have to apply force (unless a piece got stuck somehow).

That was the second one I solved. It's pretty fun, I liked it. It's an interesting concept and solving it is a bit more complex than you would probably expect.

Sweet, I might pick that up today then.

Finally solved Padlock. I gotta admit that was probably the most interesting solution steps of any Hanayama puzzle so far. Its pretty neat how there are multiple different states of this piece and you really need to use your head a bit to get it solved (unless you get super lucky.)

Highly recommended, if it werent for the marvellously designed Marble, this would be my favourite now. If you picked up a few Hanayamas, make sure this one is among them.

Nice, another Padlock fan. Definitely one of my favorites so far. I'm excited to try Cake!

Toma

I broke Dolce (got it into an irreversible state) by applying too much force :(

If you need too much force, you are on the wrong track for these puzzles. :(

Applying too much force the other way doesnt work either?

If you need too much force, you are on the wrong track for these puzzles. :(

Applying too much force the other way doesnt work either?

Sadly no. I mean maybe if you're a bodybuilder or something you could do it. I know better than to use force but I had been reading some reviews and one guy said he finally solved but had to use a little more force than he is used to with most other puzzles. Guess that spoiled me and I took it a little too far.

Toma

Probably should have opened with that...

I mean that part specifically talks about the competition puzzles. There are still some great puzzles to look into, like the Hanayama Cast puzzles, which most of this thread revolves around as the are great and inexpensive.

Part of the reason for me to create this thread was to get others to share what they found, so we'll see what else this little community can dig up. I am already pretty thrilled about the chess pieces find, which I really need to try.

A little off topic, but this seems like the right place for this video of an elderly Japanese man getting help solving a ring puzzle he's been unable to for a decade.

I found it fairly entertaining, at least.
That was a funny video. I think I've seen that puzzle before and kinda knew
it involved pulling the rope through itself although i can't fully conceptualize what happens by just watching it
, but the video itself is entertaining. I loved the scientist and monkey.

Solved this one in about 40 minutes.
Once you get the solution you can reproduce it without any trouble.
Is there any challenge in putting it back together? I think I will get bored with Marble and want my next piece already.

1upsuper

Is there any challenge in putting it back together? I think I will get bored with Marble and want my next piece already.

Spoilering my response to your question just in case, but it's really not spoiling at all:
Putting it back together is pretty easy, especially if you know how you opened it.

1upsuper

Thanks. I think I'm gonna go with Labyrinth instead.

Bear in mind that NEWS and Labyrinth are very different puzzles. Labyrinth is a bit more traditional and you can see everything you're working with immediately. NEWS is unlike the other Hanayama puzzles I've tried in that it's more of a puzzle box and you really just have to stumble through various ideas until you land on the answer. I really like it for the enigmatic aspect of it. I definitely recommend both. NEWS is also a better one to show other people, since they'll have a hell of a time figuring out how to solve it and you can do it for them a lot quicker than you can with Labyrinth.

Bear in mind that NEWS and Labyrinth are very different puzzles. Labyrinth is a bit more traditional and you can see everything you're working with immediately. NEWS is unlike the other Hanayama puzzles I've tried in that it's more of a puzzle box and you really just have to stumble through various ideas until you land on the answer. I really like it for the enigmatic aspect of it. I definitely recommend both. NEWS is also a better one to show other people, since they'll have a hell of a time figuring out how to solve it and you can do it for them a lot quicker than you can with Labyrinth.
I was gonna work up in order. Marble was Level 4, Labyrinth is Level 5 and NEWS is Level 6.

Eh, I may just buy both now.

Nutcase is similar to NEWS in that respect. I finally got sick of fiddling with nutcase because I didn't know what else to try. I don't like the feeling of just staring at something at not being able to move stuff around. I like having the feedback of seeing things move and trying to figure out all the different things it can do.

1upsuper

Nutcase is similar to NEWS in that respect. I finally got sick of fiddling with nutcase because I didn't know what else to try. I don't like the feeling of just staring at something at not being able to move stuff around. I like having the feedback of seeing things move and trying to figure out all the different things it can do.

NEWS is my favorite Hanayama puzzle and Nutcase is by far my least favorite. The issue with Nutcase is that it hurts your fingers and cramps your hands if you fiddle with it for too long at a time. And even when you solve it it feels way too finicky.

Thanks, I'll add Padlock to my amazon cart. I need to space these out.

Putting Marble back together is hard on the hands
because of all the holding the pieces together while trying to line them up
. Haven't gotten it yet. Once it's done I think I'll give it to my friend.

Thanks, I'll add Padlock to my amazon cart. I need to space these out.

Putting Marble back together is hard on the hands
because of all the holding the pieces together while trying to line them up
. Haven't gotten it yet. Once it's done I think I'll give it to my friend.

Slight Marble spoiler for putting it back together:

You shouldn't need to hold it together and line things up to rebuild, even though it looks like it requires that.

Directions for putting it back together. DO NOT LOOK UNLESS YOU WANT THIS SPOILED (or have already done it):

Lay the U-pieces side by side on a table. Put half the marble in each U-piece. Overlap the "arms" of each U-piece (basically make a W with the pieces). Slide the piece that's laying over the other up and around.

Toma

Equa is driving me insane. I made some progress, now I cant get it back to the beginning anymore.

Toma

Hanayama news one is so stupid.

Easily the most divisive puzzle. Some love it, some hate it. I really like the construction, but yeah, its also more on the lower end for me.

Just finished Labyrinth.

30852hy.jpg

I really enjoyed this one! The design is so unique, where the answer is literally laid out in front of you with no illusions as to what you've got to do. It's just "solve a dual-sided maze." Straightforward and clean. I'd say the only part I wasn't a fan of was the fact that the full name isn't on the piece (it just says LABY). I'm a nerd for that sort of thing.

Cake will be here tomorrow.

J.W.Crazy

Just put Marble back together and I'm floored. Really impressive design. I kind of wrote off some of the praise I'd read about how elegant it is but once all the pieces came together I couldn't help but smile. It's such a pure and simple mechanical solution. I kept looking for some sort of trick but it's actually pretty straight forward.

I got it apart in just a few minutes but didn't pay close attention. No idea how long it took to reassemble. Between work and BotW I only put in a few minutes here and there over the last week and never sat down to seriously solve it until tonight.

Not sure what I'll get next but between the two I've done so far (Galaxy & Marble) I'm very pleased with Hanayama's puzzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom