• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Mega Man 9 | Either I'm bad at videogames or this is bloody hard

Mega Man 9 is well-regarded as far as the Classic series goes. It's intentionally designed to be as much like Mega Man 2 as possible, which is exactly why a lot of people love it.

...It's also exactly why I think Mega Man 10 is better. Whereas MM 9 was basically a MM 2 circle-jerk thoughout, MM 10 was a little more experimental, a little weirder, and a little more daring, and I love it for that. MM 9 is great (and it does have better special weapons than 10), but it just feels too damn much like MM 2 Part 2, even going so far as to directly reuse a small portion of MM 2's music. For people who think MM 2 is the best game in the series, that's great, but I've always found MM 2 to be somewhat overrated (MM 5's my favorite game in the Classic series).

I think that generally, people regard 10 as being good but not quite as great as 9. Different strokes. If you like 9, though, I'd say give 10 a shot!

EDIT: In terms of how the difficulty compares between the two, I'd say they're about equal, with 9's back half (the Wily stages) being tougher than 10's and 10's front half (the eight Robot Master stages) being tougher than 9's. They both get significantly easier with practice and multiple runs, though.

MrBadger

Picked this up again today. I've not found the Wily stages to be too bad so far, with two exceptions being the finicky jump in Wily 2 that I already mentioned and the part towards the end of Wily 3 where you're travelling up and one of those enemies that pulls you into spikes drops from the ceiling out of nowhere. Is there a good strategy to beating this game's obligatory Yellow Devil boss? And I'm going to assume after this, it'll just be the Robot Master refights then Wily himself

I also think it's kinda shitty that you can't save in-between Wily levels, but you can continue forever. Guess that's just to stop you from visiting the shop in-between stages

The game's difficulty was overblown. It wasn't especially difficult compared to typical NES games, but it certainly provided more challenge than the vast majority of modern games.

The game was awesome. It's on the same level as 2 and 3.

Top Bottom