• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Samus screams internally for everyone to shut up.

Dr. Buni

I love this game. I don't think it is the black sheep of the Prime series like some claim, I see it as a game equivalent to Prime 2 in terms of quality.

Toa TAK

Banned
Metroid Prime 3 is excellent. I know a lot of people moan about the NPCs/overbearing story/handholding, but I didn't mind it, even after coming off Prime 2. Each planet and areas within them were really great and the soundtrack still rocks. The visuals pushed the Wii to its limits and the boss fights were still ace.

Honestly, I think the Prime games are equal, they all excel at what they want to do, and I can't imagine going back to gamecube controls after the Wii's Trilogy Edition of the series.

Actually, the talking NPC trend started with Metroid Fusion.

am-i-the-only-one-who-remembers-metroid-fusion.jpg

Goddamn I love that game's story. Way more invested in this than anything MOM did or ever could do.

Played this almost nonstop, what a great game and use of the controls. I played it without playing 1 & 2, they are in my backlog, maybe I should start MP1, so much stuff to play is overwhelming.

Griss

You've just reached Bryyo? The game gets a lot better after you reach it the first time. Metroid Prime 3 has a pretty obnoxious beginning that feels like something outside of another series, but the game massively improves once you leave Norion. There are still some issues with talkiness (Especially with the Aurora Unit), but it's much more Metroid-y and interesting.

Yeah. To me the opening hour felt like a plea towards Halo gamers. Look, you're a superhuman in suit working with the military, and there are lots of explosions and stuff! Like they were trying to trick people into buying the game, or making that section for the marketing team. And it's terrible, and Retro were years behind the standards of cutscenes / writing dialogue at the time. It's cringeworthy.

But you get past it, and you arrive on Bryyo, and from there the rest of the game is sweet sailing. Bryyo is fantastic,
Skytown
is orgasmic,
The Pirate Homeworld
is pretty good. I wasn't happy with the ending, but from two hours in until the final battle the game is just awesome. There is no constant annoyance/dip in quality like the Dark World of MP2, which is why I place MP3 above it in the end.

The best invention was hyper mode. Spongy enemies ruined combat in the other two games, but in this one you can sacrifice health to speed up combat and blow the shit out of things. I loved that. Your beam finally felt like the punchy death dealing machine it's supposed to be, rather than a pellet shooter.

Capra

What a coincidence! I've been replaying this on hypermode for the first time these past few days!

Can I just take a moment to say fuck you to whoever decided to make the final boss a three-fight gauntlet, with no health recovery in-between, the last part of which doesn't even drop health, all while you're on a timer so it's very possible to reach that final form with no hope of killing it... and which has a nigh-undodgeable spinny laser of death that can easily take out half your remaining health.

After the first hour or so everything improves. I especially love the Valhalla and love the abandoned lab in Elysia. Some of the best locations in the entire series.

Crayolan

Bryyo is where the game really starts (though the Meta Ridley fight is great), so you're out of the worst part of the game. Talking will still be present throughout the rest of the game, but it will be significantly toned down going forwards. Look forward to Elesia, it's my favorite area in the game.

Esque7

What a coincidence! I've been replaying this on hypermode for the first time these past few days!

Can I just take a moment to say fuck you to whoever decided to make the final boss a three-fight gauntlet, with no health recovery in-between, the last part of which doesn't even drop health, all while you're on a timer so it's very possible to reach that final form with no hope of killing it... and which has a nigh-undodgeable spinny laser of death that can easily take out half your remaining health.
The final boss was relatively easy on the other difficulties. Hypermode actually provided a good challenge for it. You just need to get better at timing your dodges and attacks and it isn't too hard.

Capra

The final boss was relatively easy on the other difficulties. Hypermode actually provided a good challenge for it. You just need to get better at timing your dodges and attacks and it isn't too hard.

Just beat it. Yeah, she wasn't so bad once I memorized how to dodge everything and milked her "droppables" attacks for all they were worth. Honestly it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if her first form didn't take ages to beat.

Was wishing I could do an RTTP of my own but...
<--
...So I might end up posting my thoughts here within the next day or so.

Edit: Oh, but can we all just take a moment to agree that Friend Vouchers are lame? I mean it's not like you can buy anything with them that you can't get a better look at online, but still. Bonus points if you have a Trilogy - you will never unlock everything hidden away in that extras menu.

Golnei

Aside from the clunky prologue, I really liked Prime 3. What put it ahead of Echoes for me were the strength of the Valhalla and related sections when compared to Echoes' more monotonous fetchquests. Though removing the 'recording to logbook' voice was unforgivable.

This game is pretty much a poster child to as of why voice acting isn't always welcomed in games.

Considering the very next game in the series, I hope you're being facetious.

scitek

What you mentioned here is a lot of the reason Prime 3 ranks 3rd among the Prime trilogy to me, and it's not even close.

Retro tried too hard with the story. It ended up having too much handholding, especially since the areas are generally more linear and less intertwined. I didn't like having separate planets due to this, even though the elevators in the previous games didn't make any logical sense, they allowed for an interconnected world.

The beam upgrades were also disappointing, I hated that they all just stacked. The implementation of beam swapping in trilogy wasn't great, it was better than nothing.

I don't recall the game ever slowing down, it's constantly nudging you in the right direction. Plan to replay it soon and get 100% on Trilogy, then I'll have 100% on all three games on it.

I disagree, I liked how it felt like the classic Metroid games where once you unlock a door for the first time, all you have to do to get through it again is shoot it. Changing beams to open specific doors is one of the things that actually annoys me about the first two games.

I disagree, I liked how it felt like the classic Metroid games where once you unlock a door for the first time, all you have to do to get through it again is shoot it. Changing beams to open specific doors is one of the things that actually annoys me about the first two games.

Yep. Switching beams is annoyingly slow, yet actually adds very little to the gameplay beyond
'shoot white space pirate with ice beam'. The hyper mode actually adds a bit of strategy to the
game while making combat faster

Another smart design decision was replacing the elevators with the ship landing sites, somewhat
cutting down extraneous backtracking. After all, unlike in the 2D games, Samus doesn't become
dramatically faster as she becomes more powerful.

Toxi

Banned

Can I just take a moment to say fuck you to whoever decided to make the final boss
a three-fight gauntlet, with no health recovery in-between, the last part of which doesn't even drop health, all while you're on a timer so it's very possible to reach that final form with no hope of killing it... and which has a nigh-undodgeable spinny laser of death that can easily take out half your remaining health.
I loved beating that fight with
my bar almost at full and phazon creeping in on my visor
on my first try. Really frantic in that final part.

zma1013

Most un-Metroid-like Metroid game. Really good game but it just veers too far away from what makes Metroid, Metroid. It is, however, the best use of the wii remote available. Some of the boss fights demand you learn how to use it. They show no mercy.

Yep. Switching beams is annoyingly slow, yet actually adds very little to the gameplay beyond
'shoot white space pirate with ice beam'. The hyper mode actually adds a bit of strategy to the
game while making combat faster

Another smart design decision was replacing the elevators with the ship landing sites, somewhat
cutting down extraneous backtracking. After all, unlike in the 2D games, Samus doesn't become
dramatically faster as she becomes more powerful.

I dunno... I think the morphball boost definitely speeds things along nicely.

Toxi

Banned
I dunno... I think the morphball boost definitely speeds things along nicely.
So does the Screw Attack. Skips a lot of platforming in Echoes. It's a bit tricky to find the right places to use it, but I've grown to enjoy the Prime 2+3 Screw Attack's effect on both mobility and combat.

Plus, killing Grenchlers with it is hilarious.

Afrocious

Finally got out of Bryyo and now in Skytown. This is more enjoyable and makes more sense than Columbia in Bioshock Infinite haha.

The game got better. So far I'm enjoying Skytown more than Bryyo because of the lack of those arena events Bryyo had. Seriously, I swear you go through four or five where enemies are infinite and you have to solve some sort of puzzle. I died a lot when trying to destroy this turret with phazon-infused pirates coming after me. While I'm beginning to dig the controls, I think they're annoying in instances like that. My arm hurts from all the grappling I had to do still.

These bosses truly are no joke either. Definitely a step up from MP1s and they may be harder than 2's as a whole. While they're fun once I figure them out, I can't say I like having to go into a ball and blow up bombs close to bosses to the point I'm taking damage. This ends up causing me to juggle Hypermode and health, and there was one particular boss that didn't drop any health orbs, making it kinda awful.

Finally got out of Bryyo and now in Skytown. This is more enjoyable and makes more sense than Columbia in Bioshock Infinite haha.

The game got better. So far I'm enjoying Skytown more than Bryyo because of the lack of those arena events Bryyo had. Seriously, I swear you go through four or five where enemies are infinite and you have to solve some sort of puzzle. I died a lot when trying to destroy this turret with phazon-infused pirates coming after me. While I'm beginning to dig the controls, I think they're annoying in instances like that. My arm hurts from all the grappling I had to do still.

These bosses truly are no joke either. Definitely a step up from MP1s and they may be harder than 2's as a whole. While they're fun once I figure them out, I can't say I like having to go into a ball and blow up bombs close to bosses to the point I'm taking damage. This ends up causing me to juggle Hypermode and health, and there was one particular boss that didn't drop any health orbs, making it kinda awful.

You can breathe easy, that boss is probably the hardest, and most annoying in the game. Don't be afraid to use hypermode even on normal enemies if you find them too spongey. Enjoy Skytown!

Afrocious

You can breathe easy, that boss is probably the hardest, and most annoying in the game. Don't be afraid to use hypermode even on normal enemies if you find them too spongey. Enjoy Skytown!

Whew. You're talking about that one with the lance pirate on top and you end up fighting the creature he rides, right?

Afrocious

Nah, Mogenar (Final boss of Bryyo).

Every other boss is easier until the final one.

I disagree as far as he goes. That Korakk bastard was annoying due to him never dropping any health so I could use Hypermode.

Mogenar was fun mostly, but I still had to turn into a ball and blow up his feet, which does damage to me since I'm so close.

I disagree as far as he goes. That Korakk bastard was annoying due to him never dropping any health so I could use Hypermode.

Mogenar was fun mostly, but I still had to turn into a ball and blow up his feet, which does damage to me since I'm so close.

I was referring to Mogenar, but thinking back the Korakk Beast was a pain in the ass for me the first time I battled him. Bryyo is actually probably more difficult than Skytown overall. The final big area after that is probably hardest though so make sure you have searched for as many energy tanks as possible.

One tip if you would like, I'll spoiler tag it incase you don't want any advice.

Whenever a Space Pirate goes into hypermode (or any creature for that matter), which is quite often the deeper you get into the game, it's pretty pointless to try and battle it without going into hypermode yourself. It can literally take more than a minute to kill a single one.

Afrocious

I was referring to Mogenar, but thinking back the Korakk Beast was a pain in the ass for me the first time I battled him. Bryyo is actually probably more difficult than Skytown overall. The final big area after that is probably hardest though so make sure you have searched for as many energy tanks as possible.

One tip if you would like, I'll spoiler tag it incase you don't want any advice.

Whenever a Space Pirate goes into hypermode (or any creature for that matter), which is quite often the deeper you get into the game, it's pretty pointless to try and battle it without going into hypermode yourself. It can literally take more than a minute to kill a single one.

Yeah, I noticed that. Thankfully I'm at 5 Energy Cells and I just got the Boost Ball.

Afrocious

Got out of Skytown and destroyed the Leviathan there.

Skytown was a step up in quality from Bryyo. This is definitely a Metroid game. The abilities you gain are on point, and the familiar flow toward getting more powerful is in MP3 same as in the other good Metroid games.

Off the top of my head, I have the Plasma Beam, Seeker Missiles, Boost Ball, and Screw Attack. I don't find myself concerned about lacking several beams to swap between. This does it's job of making me feel more powerful than I was prior to getting the Plasma Beam. Blasting a Pirate with a charged energy beam is vastly weaker to blasting one with a charged plasma beam, which outright melts them. I can appreciate that.

I ran into a lot of rooms where enemies were respawning throughout Skytown, meaning doors wouldn't open when I shot them. I always hated that in these Prime games, but it seems to happen all the time in 3 - or maybe I'm misremembering how frequent they were in 1 and 2.

Also, I can now access The Valhalla. I'm guessing this is where I need to use these Energy Cells I've been collecting so far? I have two. I suspect they're the endgame items I'll be needing to collect, right? Also, where to after Skytown? The Pirate Homeworld?

I really disliked the forced narrative that tried to build a more rich and "sci-fi" universe. Metroid does not need cutscenes and military dudes. That is anti-Metroid to me. The series is about exploration and isolation. A feeling of solitude must envelop the player.

Afrocious

I really disliked the forced narrative that tried to build a more rich and "sci-fi" universe. Metroid does not need cutscenes and military dudes. That is anti-Metroid to me. The series is about exploration and isolation. A feeling of solitude must envelop the player.

I agree. Looking past that, the game is solid and quite fun. Such a strange design choice though to have players go through this narrative sprawling through several planets assisting a space military.

The more I play this game, the more I think it's done this way simply to (maybe) bring a close to the Metroid Prime overarching story.

What you mentioned here is a lot of the reason Prime 3 ranks 3rd among the Prime trilogy to me, and it's not even close.

Retro tried too hard with the story. It ended up having too much handholding, especially since the areas are generally more linear and less intertwined.
Agreed. Decent game but not a patch on the first two except probably the pointer controls if we're splitting hairs. I liked both the GC controller and pointer controls for different reasons.

But yes, I didn't need my Metroid Halo-ified.

I agree. Looking past that, the game is solid and quite fun. Such a strange design choice though to have players go through this narrative sprawling through several planets assisting a space military.

The more I play this game, the more I think it's done this way simply to (maybe) bring a close to the Metroid Prime overarching story.

I thought they did this to make the game more "mainstream" and maybe sell more copies to the shooter demographic that does not care about a franchise so unconventional.

Afrocious

Managed to get through some of the Pirate Homeworld. Beat that shape shifting woman. That was the best fight in the game so far with all her transformations and three phases.

elCroux

Banned
Lovely game.

The bit after you get the spiderball and have to traverse the broken sky rail by boosting from section to section is a perfect five minutes of gameplay. You get introduced to that mechanic in a logical yet exciting way. It looks spectacular, granting you some previously unseen angles of the best looking vista in the game. Plus halfway through that, they chuck in a rewarding energy capsule in a simple but very satisfying double-bomb-jump-spiderball-grab-drop-off-after-moving-into-position little moment.

One amongst many brilliant bits of gameplay.

Afrocious

Lovely game.

The bit after you get the spiderball and have to traverse the broken sky rail by boosting from section to section is a perfect five minutes of gameplay. You get introduced to that mechanic in a logical yet exciting way. It looks spectacular, granting you some previously unseen angles of the best looking vista in the game. Plus halfway through that, they chuck in a rewarding energy capsule in a simple but very satisfying double-bomb-jump-spiderball-grab-drop-off-after-moving-into-position little moment.

One amongst many brilliant bits of gameplay.

I agree. That segment was rewarding, fun, and if you're new to using the spider ball, a perfect tutorial.

I just finished MP3. Veteran on 98% since I missed some scans. Not too beat up about it. Looks like the 100% ending isn't anything special.

Even though this was the weakest of the three Prime games, when this game gets good, it's great. The game finds its flow from Skytown and holds onto it onward.

The good parts outweigh the bad parts significantly and I recommend this game to anyone who has a Wii. The controls are superb and I think they're even better than RE4's. That's saying something, IMO.

I'm upset you didn't fight
Metroid Prime in the end. Dark Samus could've transformed or something. Instead we get that crappy Aurora fight.

This was a great game to play.

Yeah, I noticed that. Thankfully I'm at 5 Energy Cells and I just got the Boost Ball.

Did you go bowling?
You can easily send the tinbots flying with a boostball
. One of the most satisfying things in the game.

I think this is true. I wonder how much influence Nintendo had on them. Retro originally had other ideas for the game, including Samus actually taking on bounties, and Samus actually becoming evil as the game progressed, but Nintendo declinded these Ideas. I know at some point Retro was requested to make it as "epic" as Twilight Princess, so maybe they felt they needed to make the Metroid universe feel more alive. TBH it didn't bother me at all, as the gameplay and world design are Metroid through and through.

Managed to get through some of the Pirate Homeworld. Beat that shape shifting woman. That was the best fight in the game so far with all her transformations and three phases.

Agreed. It's probably my favorite fight in the whole series actually.

televator

I love MP3. They really let 'er rip so to speak with all of Samus' powers. Most of Samus' normal powers are available from the get go iirc. At first I missed beam switching but I think stacking actually makes things feel more refined. Speaking of refinements, I think the game play is the most refined in the trilogy.

It's actually strange someone get a sense of urgency from the game... I just went at my own pace once I got to Bryyo... urgency never crossed my mind.

I, for one, loved the different planets. So much aesthetic variance to be had. It really allowed the different areas to pull out all the stops and not worry about looking too disconnected from one another.

Top Bottom