• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Persona 1

I like the OST for Persona PSP a lot more than the original release.

Persona 1 is definitely flawed but I find it charming despite the problems. And I kind of like how horribly unbalanced it is in a lot of ways - some low LV persona are drastically better than most high LV persona & guns can be very effective with the right stat distribution.

koutoru

Thanks for the tip.

Found Igor! Woop woop. All I had to do was go into the mall. Multiple Personas and changing battle formations made this a little easier. Still doesn't care about story/characters.

Why is the exp uneven and how does it work?
Your characters gain exp based on who they specifically killed in battle.
So if one character happens to use an attack that kills two enemies, they will get more exp at the end of battle than the characters who only killed one or didn't happen to kill any in that battle.

Fandangox

The Velvet Room is in this game? Sweet. Guess I'll need to play some more.

So far Persona 1 is basically SMT except even more bare bones and someone did a find/replace for demon/persona in some of the texts. Wished someone had warned me. But I feel like Persona 2 will be more enjoyable gameplay-wise if I can get through this one.

I recommend sticking with Persona 1 just a bit longer if just so the change to Persona 2 makes you go "wow they really improved on the first"

I liked P1's atmosphere, and some of its characters, but dungeon navigation was pretty bad, understandibly so though. Somehow it didn't bother me in SMT.

Persona 2 duology has much better cast of characters (specially in EP) great atmosphere, better plot, and the battle system is revamped a bit, although still a bit dated. Also dungeon exploring is not first person anymore.

The game set a good foundation that was mostly fixed in 2.

It hasn't aged well but I still think it's worth playing through the end - the PSP version at least lol, the original game is utterly unplayable

Persona 1 aged just fine imo. All the mechanics are pretty straightforward. Persona management was probably the worst part of the game but it wasn't even that important, really.

Persona 2 has aged much less gracefully. It's fucking clunky and slow as hell.

I don't know what to say about story. Persona 4 has a really, really dumb story. I would say Persona 1 beats it easily.

Persona 1 also has the SQQ, which is just a cool as hell idea in general.

Playing the game right now (on PSP) and it's way, way better than I was led to believe. I'm really enjoying pretty much every minute of it honestly. Hit the
Mana Castle
today and I'm looking forward to the final 40% (?) of the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
P1 aged heavily, but don't skip P2 IS and EP. They're brilliant classic RPGs.

Nice bump.
After buying the PSP remake years ago, I finally gave it a shot on my Vita last week. And... no, I couldn't do it. The dungeons, the combat, I hated it all. Nice intro video though. I discovered Megaten with P3 and P4 and I have since played many games in the series ,including P2: Innocent Sin, but the first Persona is the only one I have given up on. Soul Hackers on the 3DS (which originally came out in 1997, a year after Persona) is very similar but is a significantly better game imo.

Susurrus

Sorry for the necro bump, but I have recently started playing Persona 1 PSP (via Vita & PSTV). It is my first Persona game (I'm kind of OCD about playing series in order). I certainly have my complaints with the game, but interestingly the high encounter rate and hallways I can get used to, but I'm bit of an older gamer. The only real complaints I have are stuff like "go to x room" while in the school or hospital like I have any idea where there would be, but much more of a huge deal is the very limited soundtrack, which I don't hate the songs specifically, but they wore out their welcome a long time ago.

I'm fairly far in, at a mansion after getting a moon piece. I kind of hit a wall though. It seems most enemies have area deliberating moves that I can't figure out how to avoid, primarily Charm, Bind, Sleep, or Guilt and they spam these every turn. I have no idea what to do about this, can anyone help me? I am reasonably enjoying the game so far, but I'd hate to be cock blocked by this one dungeon. I'm currently saved somewhere inside of the mansion, 3F I think. I did manage to get to some treasure room dead end, but on my way back I died, and have been struggling since.

Top Bottom