• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prey "Underrated Game Of The Decade Edition"

Velius

Banned
Disclaimer: this is my first thread, ever. I don't know if I'm breaking any rules in this. I've read around and believe I am within the jurisdiction of GAF policy but if I am not, please know that it was not my intent, and I wish to share content in accordance with the community norms.

Decent sized read ahead. I hope you enjoy it!
1.png

Prey is the greatest game I never heard of. I started playing it this week and I have pumped hours and hours into it. I do not know how far into the story I am, but I can tell you that I love this game, which is easily a 9.5. And I almost, almost never got to play it. In the months leading up to its release I never batted an eye at it. Never looked at any articles for it, never watched the E3 trailer or any of the pertinent media that was subsequently released. Any time I saw it on IGN it looked like just another generic shooter. I knew so little about this project I didn't even know Arkane was the dev. If it hadn't been for Digital Foundry's GOTY list (Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_zc7iMPkU) I would never have played this game.

Once I started playing, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why this game was so underrepresented. Highest ranked version is 84% on Metacritic? Wat. I think I know why now, but we'll get to that later.

Before I start I should give you my thesis statement: This game is remarkably lean, and you will hear me hammer at this on numerous occasions in this discussion, but it’s a remarkable feat; there is no unnecessary content- there are no characters that make you ask "Why do they exist?". There is no weapon or utility that is not useful in a way that makes your shoulder relax upon acquisition. Everyone and everything has a precise purpose in Prey, and it’s refreshing in a way that’s difficult to explain but unmistakable when you play. In an era of millions of mindless sidequests, forgettable NPC’s and junk that ends up truly being junk after holding it for 40 hours, the weapons, gear, abilities, characters and objectives (Both primary and miscellaneous) in Prey all feel deliberate and lovingly crafted.

In short, everything in this game exudes purpose, indisputably making this game an outlier in the current era of the industry.
10.png

Another thing this game really has going for it is the graphical presentation, which is in a way an extension of the aforementioned. The beauty of this game is in the practicality of the world presented- there’s nothing outlandish or gratuitous. This is the opposite of the modern Star Wars media, giving you a world that plausibly blooms from our current one. When I first picked up the shotgun I was somewhat underwhelmed because it looked simply like a shotgun with one or two futuristic garnishes- such as the rounded ammo counter bending around the curvature of the receiver. But this down-to-earth approach grew on me very quickly, especially when I realized that this device was consistent throughout the crafted universe of Prey. Everything, down to the way the doors are designed, and the way they open, is rooted firmly in a creative but believable projection of how our technology would develop in the next decade or so.
3.jpg

Presentation is also dynamic. There are dark corridors but there are brightly lit lobbies and cubical offices. There are gardens with lush foliage and synthetic waterfalls that will somehow manage to both relax and unnerve. And littered everywhere throughout these settings are glowing treasures for you to pick up and use.
2.jpg
14.jpg

I know that gameplay is ultimately what makes a game, but the right visual style can truly enhance those things and demonstrably so in Prey. There are many games wherein new equipment gives greater degrees of freedom and depth, but that expansion feels a bit hollow because the appropriate visual representation of that augmentation is either missing or misfired.
8.jpg

This game reminded me that when excellent graphics and gameplay are mixed well, delight ensues.

I won’t spend too much time on the music simply because there isn’t a whole lot to say. The music is incredible. Jack Wall and Sam Hulick did us all an enormous favor ten years ago with Mass Effect, revitalizing interest in 80’s style blending of electronic music with orchestral scoring. I don’t know if that was the sole origin of the resurgence, but I do know that it was a prominent one, and Prey OST composer Mick Gordan has picked it up and wielded it like a ninja, doing something that is distinctly his own. There’s simply nothing about the music in this game that I would change. It is futuristic, clean, and cannot be confused with the work of any other.

Finally I move now to the gameplay itself, and it’s difficult to convey how much I love it.

I suppose I should start by saying System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. And it is clear to me that the team at Arkane has similar tastes.

This game is, for the most part, System Shock 3. There are plenty of thematic and narrative based nods to the System Shock universe—such as the“Looking Glass”, as well as outright homages. There are terms lifted straight out of SS2, such as“Grav Shaft” and“Psy Hypo”. Presentational tributes aside, the game elements are constructs that evolved from the groundwork laid by Ken Levine’s team back in 1999. The things that were perfect about System Shock 2 have been preserved. The things that were ambitious but projected in a less than flawless fashion have been reformed. And the things that were atrocious have been eliminated.
4.jpg

Once more, this speaks to Arkane’s resolve to trim every ounce of fat from this game, leaving nothing but dense gameplay into which you can sink your teeth and shake. This appears to have been their battle cry in this project, the moniker of“Nothing wasted”. To see such a motif so prevalent and so faithfully sustained throughout an entire work is for lack of a stronger term impressive, and makes a bold statement about the unified vision the entire team had during their work. The“NeuroMod” factor is akin to intellectual crack, and will have you drawing out charts and tables plotting out how to best spend your ability points. I need to bolden the font on this thought; I have been up until the wee hours of the weekend pouring blueprints out on paper, flowcharts and all, deliberating over how to proceed with my precious ability currency. Without getting too deep into spoilers, I will add that there are thematic, story-based incentives to consider your path of abilities carefully, and these narrative-driven stipulations dovetail delightfully with gameplay nuances that leave you feeling warm inside, and give you a sense of weight to your choices that goes beyond“Paragon = Blue and Renegade = Red”.

Okay I’m done taking potshots at ME. I should also add that I already have an idea of what I want to do for my second playthrough- by the way, this game is so good, with so much breadth, I know I will play it at least two more times after this run.

I really can’t emphasize that enough. Each ability has clear purpose and significant value. Let’s face it, some of the abilities in System Shock 2 were well intended but not always usefully implemented without alterations such as SecMod and other community software. Arkane looked at every single ability and made sure it was worth getting, and the price of each one is enough to make you say“Ooooh!” and“Buuuuuuttt...” right after another. You will agonize over the choices. When you make your selection you will experience fear, wondering if you did the right thing. And then you will smile in delight when you put your newly acquired mechanism to use. That is intentional. It’s nerve-wracking and it’s fun.
5.jpg

I anticipate that conventional weapons will be a first act crutch for most, and that the perception will be that they should phase out as the player delves further into the work. That is likely the natural progression for many and the game itself seems to direct you to experiment with the more abstract and otherworldly aptitudes, but the pistol and shotgun combo are endgame viable, just like everything else. Ammo is sparse but will accumulate for those who play smart, and the modifications available to those who invest will deliver significant yield.

And that leads me to perhaps the greatest compliment I could give this game: there truly is no wrong way to go about doing what you need to do, and you’d be hard-pressed to find a combination of abilities that soars above any other. I know that many games have advertised this, but in the vast majority of titles your style will be pigeonholed into one or two aisles, with the other options serving only as shoehorned afterthoughts, presented for the purpose of giving you multiple options“if you really, really wanna go that way.” Prey turns its nose up at this idea, and bestows upon you an air-tight list of selections and the perfect blend of geography with which to utilize them. In Prey, you are never in danger of locking yourself into a build that will doom you. You are always, however, in constant danger of having to change the way you play.

Here’s another way to look at it: go to YouTube and search for“Prey Builds”. No consensus. Can you hear me smiling?

What beauty, what newness of life that has been breathed into video games with this.

Moving on. In keeping with the tradition of the System Shock gameplay, there is seldom any one technique or path to your objective. The game bestows gargantuan rewards to those who experiment, and you will be surprised to see how far creative use of the“Gloo Gun” will take you, if you’re able to breech the confines built upon years of being subjected to unimaginative, restrictive gaming.

Inventory management becomes a minigame unto itself, a pseudo-FreeCell delight to scratch your OCD itch. Hacking is done in a different and slightly less frustrating fashion than what we find in BioShock. Chipsets offer plenty of passive abilities for you to mull over and swap out, and they can provide quite a boon if you’re calm and calculated enough to recognize the appropriate situations.
9.png

The PsychoScope comes into play during what I presume is the first or second act, and the augmented perceptive abilities instantaneously afforded to me were instantaneously obvious and marvelous. I said the word“Oh,” and sat there slackjawed for a few moments until the beautiful musical accompaniment died down, almost as if the game knew I would need a moment or two to wrap my mind around this new toy.
7.jpg

The curved ascension of your growth in power is clear, unbroken and exponential. At the outset you will feel week and helpless compared to your adversaries, and at some point during the long, subtle crescendo you will realize that you are no longer the prey, but a cybernetically augmented wrecking ball. The sense of paranoia instilled early on never completely fades, as you will encounter more progressively dangerous and potent foes, but there will come a time when you will look at Mimics and Phantoms (who once stalked you down dark corridors) and see nothing but bags of delicious loot, ripe for your plucking. This provides harmony for the increasingly complex powers you accumulate, making you feel powerful and making you feel like progress is being made. No Final Fantasy VIII garbage here.

And it’s likely a disservice to tack this last point on like some sort of appendix, but I should mention that the crafting system in Prey is meaningful and fun. It’s probably fun because recycling stuff is really, really helpful. I remember having mixed feelings when I discovered BioShock’s charming but very simple crafting system, and I remember being utterly frustrated with Fallout 3’s complex but burdensome. Prey brings the two together into a system that is both fun and devoid of frustration, at least to all who plan carefully. Making virtually everything convertible into useful materials, but having only four material types, is a best of both worlds approach.
11.jpg

And it never gets old. You’re going to condition yourself to salivate whenever you see a heap of debris, or whenever you unload a bunch of junk into the recycler. Just hit that button and all that stuff becomes beautiful glistening cubes of yumminess.
13.jpg

If you’re like me, having little to no exposure to the media leading up to the release of this game, hopefully this article has given you a nudge toward what I consider to be one of the most joyful surprises in the history of gaming. Prey does so many things right, the slightly above average reception is an absolute enigma to me. BioShock Infinite received greater praise and established a more widespread following that its predecessor, but I believe Infinite to be the inferior of BioShock and much more so of Prey.

So what happened? Why did IGN give this game... an 8? I’m betting it had a lot to do with the development time, paired with the game’s total overhaul. I didn’t know this until today, when I wrote this, but Prey was called Prey 2 once upon a time. And Prey 2 had a very different premise. Whatever we want to say about what that game could or would have been is somewhat irrelevant at this juncture, but I believe there is something to say about prejudices that develop over time, fostered and molded by delays or exchange of ownership, to say nothing of reimagining.

I believe that Prey was anticipated for a long, long time. And after the cancellation of whatever software we saw represented by that snazzy 2011 trailer, people just sort of moved on, so when the game was reinvented and pumped out, people were just kind of like“...Oh.”

And I understand how and why that happens. And most of the time we don’t miss much. Too Human probably would have been better received and better designed if the original vision had been executed on the GameCube or Playstation, rather than the complete overhaul seen on the Xbox retail offering. But in this case, I believe the final presentation outshines the original idea by a wide margin, and hopefully I’ve done a good job of explaining why.

But most importantly I hope simply that these thoughts will goad you into giving this game a shot.

Prey is a masterpiece. There are many other good things I can say about it but I’ve done my best to keep this review spoiler-free. I have heard from several corners that the later part of the game sags a little. I can’t comment on that because I don’t know exactly where I am in the game! But I can tell you that I am enjoying it immensely. I am playing this game with a fervor I’ve not felt since Breath of The Wild. And before that, I couldn’t even tell you, it’s been so long.

If you’re on the fence, wait for a Steam Sale and pick it up. Seriously, don’t miss this one. You’ll break my heart.
12.jpg

And with that, I’m off to play some more. Good night, fellow Gaffers. It’s time to play the mind game.

You should play the old PC classics after this if you love it so much. System Shock, the Thief duology, Deus Ex 1 moded with GMDX.

Keep in mind all the new offerings that try to mimmick these classics are obscenely inferior. So imagine the absolute greatness waiting for you if you such enjoy Prey which frankly is by far the weakest of the bunch. It and Mankind Divided

I_D

PREY is the best game Arkane studios has ever made, and that's saying something.

OP touched on most of the things I would say already, but I'll add that the first time you get to go outside of the station is extremely impressive.

I kept wondering why they used Cryengine, an engine known for it's massive worlds. Then when I exited the station it became immediately apparent. Being able to travel from one side of this massive level to the other - seamlessly - was excellent.

EBE

I was hoping this thread would be about the first Prey :p
Still haven't played this. Likely won't. Doesn't look or sound interesting

Kadayi

Banned
Glad you are enjoying it OP. I bought it a while back, but for some reason, it didn't gel with me at the time, in large part because I think it required a bit more focus than I could give it at the time, however, I do intend to revisit it at some point this year down the road.

I would love to play this, but im waiting for the gamepad to be fixed on the PC version....

You should play it with a mouse and keyboard if possible. This is a funny game in the way that it feels like an actual PC designed game, before multiplatforms took over. Remember when the game launched, console players couldnt even hit the first enemies they encountered. Because the mimicks, the base enemies are designed as a twitchy, extremely fast, very small enemy type. Same with larger enemy types that instantly teleport and move fast next to you. The game has a quick bar, uses grid based inventory with double click and drag n drop for items. It even uses the numpad on the keyboard to input passwords ingame.

Everything's gonna be so shit and slow and cumbersome with a controller, i really advise against it if M/Kb is in any way possible for you

munroe

Loved the game, completed it multiple times and got all achievements. Some of the character models are poor and look like bad plastic models otherwise the rest of the game looked great.

Some frame rate issues, especially around the reactor, hoping an enhanced patch is made for it or at the very least, a sequel

3/4 of it is great, the last stretch is a bit of a slog. The pacing and gameplay up to that point is phenomenal. The physicality and interactivity of the world is what ultimately makes the game for me, finding a jump too hard or impossible? Stack some furniture and fire off a couple gloo gun rounds and bam, you've got a bridge. Do you see a space way up in the rafters where you just assume there's an invisible wall that blocks you from reaching? There isn't.

It gets bonus points for being one of the best optimized PC games of 2017.

I've put a couple hours into it. I love the design, the story and the atmosphere. What I don't love are the shitty enemies. Frustrating little fucking spider things scurrying all over the fucking place that can de-materialize, and aren't all that fun to kill. That kind of put me off a bit.

Axial

Best System Shock 2 clone, ever. Immersive sims are my bread and butter when it comes to gaming and I hope Arkane keeps working on titles like Prey or Dishonored - I will throw all my money at them because they deserve it.
I would love to play this, but im waiting for the gamepad to be fixed on the PC version....
There's a fix which forces the game to use xinput instead of Steam Controller API that was introduced with v1.05. You can find it on the STEAM community hub.

mcz117chief

Best game of 2017 honestly. A real System Shock successor that, like you said, removed all the bad stuff while keeping all the good stuff and making the game just straight up better. I only started playing it on Friday after thinking to myself "Were there actually any good big games released in 2017". 2017 was very weak when it comes to big budget games. The only truly good games which released in 2017 that I have played are Ys VIII and Heat Signature, everything else was ranging from meh to not bad but no 9/10 games. Prey is by far the best big budget game that I played in 2017 and I would easily give it 10/10 since I can't think of any one think of criticism (maybe more horror? but that is just my personal preference).

Corpsepyre

Banned
I just started playing it recently as well, on PC. Must say it's fantastic so far. Like a successor to Bioshock/System Shock. Digging it a lot.

Aonuma

If it wasn't more than a decade ago now, I'd say the first Prey (2006) was even more original and criminally underrated than the new one.

Velius

Banned
I guess I'm 15 hours in now- still no signs of any slowing in pacing, fantastic gameplay or anything really. Each area is interesting and just begs to be hollowed out- gutted of the monstrosities and scoured for resources. I just got a couple new weapons/utilities that are just awesome. I love this game!!

Saiyan-Rox

Tried multiple times to get into it and just couldn't. it's a nice looking game for sure but I just didn't feel it and kept getting bored.

I might go back to it eventually but I don't think fondly of it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
if you dont like prey...
you don't like metroid.

You haters should feel bad about that.

munroe

I just love messing around with the gloo gun and the recycler grenades. I think some people find it difficult because they go into it as a standard shooter. If you go running around shooting everything with no upgrades, you'll run out of ammo very quickly. It does require stealth so that may put some people off.

I guess I'm 15 hours in now- still no signs of any slowing in pacing, fantastic gameplay or anything really. Each area is interesting and just begs to be hollowed out- gutted of the monstrosities and scoured for resources. I just got a couple new weapons/utilities that are just awesome. I love this game!!

You love this game yet it's not showing any signs of fantastic gameplay or anything really?

Velius

Banned
I just love messing around with the gloo gun and the recycler grenades. I think some people find it difficult because they go into it as a standard shooter. If you go running around shooting everything with no upgrades, you'll run out of ammo very quickly. It does require stealth so that may put some people off.

You love this game yet it's not showing any signs of fantastic gameplay or anything really?
There is no sign of the pacing slowing down or fantastic gameplay slowing down.

120v

In theory this should be the greatest game I've ever played. I'm a huge *shock fan and it does virtually nothing wrong yet I can never find the motivation to finish it. It's just "there" for me

Had the same problem with dishonored 2. maybe I'm just burnt out on the genre

It took many tries but I once I gave it an honest try, I loved it. I do think it was frustrating sometimes, the side quests seemed lacking, and performance was all over the place (PC).but yes one of the most underrated gems of the generation.

Awesome game, in my top 3-5 of last year. Definitely scratches the Deus Ex/Dishonored/Bioshock type itch. I'm so sad this genre seems to be dying (sales wise) :(

Prey is a fantastic game. I played through 4-5 times at this point. One thing I really appreciated was something I shared an appreciation for in Horizon Zero Dawn as well: I love their audio logs. Normally, I dread the thought of audio logs. Useless side tidbits. But these games pulled them off very well. They build on the world/story. Hell, one log even has a song I love listening to (come to think of it... given the DLC for HZD, both games have a song given via audio logs!).

That aside, the gameplay is pretty solid. It really does do a good job of acting like Dishonored, which is certainly not a bad thing given those mechanics are great. If I had a criticism it would be the fact that I had a lot of trouble sticking to certain otherwise-fun tactics because I felt resources were too scarce. i.e. I would love to upgrade and take over bunches of turrets, but I didn't feel able to realistically do that which was a bummer. Traps would have been fun to use more that way.

I think one of my favorite things would be Zero-G gameplay. See, I have this prejudice against games that auto-orient you. Prey doesn't. You can feel like a regular character out of Ender's Game and reorient yourself however the heck you want. And it won't fix you. You can LET it fix you via a button if I recall correctly, but it won't do it automatically. And that's fantastic. I love going through in different orientations. So major props on the Zero-G work. The environment is stunning. The story is intriguing until the very end. The gameplay is solid. The Gloo-Gun is fun. I definitely recommend it to fans of Dishonored/Bioshock.

Valdega

If I had a criticism it would be the fact that I had a lot of trouble sticking to certain otherwise-fun tactics because I felt resources were too scarce. i.e. I would love to upgrade and take over bunches of turrets, but I didn't feel able to realistically do that which was a bummer. Traps would have been fun to use more that way.

Really? I felt the opposite. I had no problem crafting plenty of Neuromods and weapon upgrade kits, which meant I was basically maxed out by the late game. If anything, I would have doubled the crafting costs for everything and removed the ability to craft Neuromods and weapon upgrade kits entirely. When I played, I collected everything and recycled anything I didn't need so I was never low on any resource.

Really? I felt the opposite. I had no problem crafting plenty of Neuromods and weapon upgrade kits, which meant I was basically maxed out by the late game. If anything, I would have doubled the crafting costs for everything and removed the ability to craft Neuromods and weapon upgrade kits entirely. When I played, I collected everything and recycled anything I didn't need so I was never low on any resource.
Oh I had plenty of Mods, definitely. And it wasn't that I had no resources to spare. But it's the classic problem of using your strongest healing potion. I COULD use it... but what if I need it later? I never felt they were plentiful enough to allow me to use them freely. So I kept them. I admittedly did on one or two playthroughs wind up beating the game with a ton of resources. But with how much it costs to create a turret, upgrade it, repair... it's not a cheap venture. Especially if you want to do it a LOT.

And that's just an example. The one I can think of. So maybe it's more a thing about my own personality that I hoard. But I'd be surprised if I were alone in that.

Great write up OP.

Arkane are easily my favourite studio just now, they just NAIL the 'first-person adventure' hybrid genre that is easily my favourite type of game.

Prey, very much like Arkane's Dishonored 2 before it is unfortunately a dying breed, I will treasure every play through I get of these Arkane games as I fear there may not be much future in them - too much money to invest for too little return (neither Prey nor Dishonored 2 sold particularly well I believe)

This thread reminds me I need to play Prey again.

Waxwing

Yup...probably my GOTY alongside DanganRonpa 3. Loved the sense of place and the interconnectedness of the levels- we haven't seen that kind of design implemented so well since the first Dark Souls. And actually, this might be even better in that regard. I can't think of any other game that gave such a cohesive, enormous, fully-explorable spaceship to the player.

Horns

Prey was in my top 3 for 2017. I loved the game and plan to play through it again. It was a little annoying that a few bugs prevented achievements for me. I tried to complete all the side missions and find all staff before completing the game.

bacardi

Best System Shock 2 clone, ever. Immersive sims are my bread and butter when it comes to gaming and I hope Arkane keeps working on titles like Prey or Dishonored - I will throw all my money at them because they deserve it.

There's a fix which forces the game to use xinput instead of Steam Controller API that was introduced with v1.05. You can find it on the STEAM community hub.

Thanks, it actually worked!

Top Bottom