• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic 06

AniHawk

jman2050 said:
I assume you mean the Last Story stage? I loved that, you could pinpoint almost to the second the moment when the entire group transitioned from fun sarcastic humor-driven hate to dead serious frustration.

yeah, and then it's super quiet with the exception of one guy reading song lyrics out loud.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm seeing the pokecpan LP.
Oh my goodness.
When Eggman's glasses
becomes a freaking Dragon Ball scouter
That has probably been the thing that started the mental break which led to Rocket Man.
Holy shit.

Zomba13

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only good thing about Sonic 06 is that it gave us the Pokecapn and those guys LP of it where they slowly get more and more insane, annoyed and frustrated as it progresses.

Dark Schala said:
This puzzle in Silver's Story, in particular, is awful.

34mOG.jpg
Fuck that level. Fuck it so hard. Fuck Silver. Fuck the game. Fuck me for actually buying it all those years ago to see how bad it was and Fuck Silver again.

G0523

OP will kill himself during Shadow and/or Silver's story (if not, then the last story). I remember Aquatic Base with Silver with those giant metal balls. I got so frustrated that I just decided to go around and float to the edges. It took much longer to do but at least I got through it after dying so many times.

Actually, PROTIP!: With some of Silver's levels (and some parts when you play as Knuckles), if you can't do it, then just go around everything. Keep that in mind for the last story. Oh man. DEFINITELY keep that in mind for the last story.

I hate this game with a passion. Yet, somehow, I managed to completely finish all the stories. I only got 6 achievements but by that point I didn't care. My biggest achievement in that game was playing all the way through it without destroying the disc. The only reason I wanted to play it was because I was starved for an Xbox 360 platformer back in 2006/2007. I didn't really have anywhere else to turn.

OP is crazy for thinking that Sonic 2006 is better than the recent offerings from Sonic Team, but I can understand why he doesn't like the gameplay style of Sonic today. It can be too fast for some people.

Good luck and God speed.

Mael

dark10x said:
It really is a vile game. Truly among the worst I've ever experienced. What's worse is that there ARE some decent bits in there among the crap (rare though they may be). I was actually excited for this game and purchased it on day for full price. Seriously. I was right there playing it before anyone on GAF had even posted a single impression. I did NOT expect those loading screens or the barrels of other shit that is wrong with this game.

The only piece of credit I can give the game is that it ran at 60 fps (well, much of the time). Yes, in an era where framerates typically dive well below 30 fps this piece of shit game actually managed 60 fps even with fully dynamic shadows across the environment (though the draw in of those shadows was rather pathetic). It just seems strange to me that such a poorly programmed game could actually deliver 60 fps at 1280x720. Shame all following 3D Sonic games were 30 fps with slowdown. :\
You know what that means? It means that the ps3 version is the definitive version!
It NEVER runs at 60 fps, and there's slowdown EVERYFUCKINGWHERE.

Also people are mad to think that Unleashed was full of speed button uses. It's full of werewolf sections!
80% of the game is by night!

MechaX

Man, I'm rewatching the Rocket Man part of the LP. I'm pretty sure the final stage is the event horizon of people's experiences with the game. It's at that point where all the shitty design choices, glitches, horrendous story, wasted potential, and essentially untested gameplay design just converge to cause a suicidal mix of frustration and agony.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dark10x said:
It really is a vile game. Truly among the worst I've ever experienced. What's worse is that there ARE some decent bits in there among the crap (rare though they may be). I was actually excited for this game and purchased it on day for full price. Seriously. I was right there playing it before anyone on GAF had even posted a single impression. I did NOT expect those loading screens or the barrels of other shit that is wrong with this game.

The only piece of credit I can give the game is that it ran at 60 fps (well, much of the time). Yes, in an era where framerates typically dive well below 30 fps this piece of shit game actually managed 60 fps even with fully dynamic shadows across the environment (though the draw in of those shadows was rather pathetic). It just seems strange to me that such a poorly programmed game could actually deliver 60 fps at 1280x720. Shame all following 3D Sonic games were 30 fps with slowdown. :\

Considering how basic the graphics were, and how much pop-in there was, and how the framerate DID fluctuate a lot (especially when messing with the game's physics system), the 60fps doesn't really seem impressive at all.

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah but the one time they admit something isn't that bad in their LP was fighting Egg Genesis, which seemed like an actual competent boss fight where the camera wasn't broken and things made sense.

The camera was pretty horrible in that section when you were on the ground (like when they were trying to find some rings.)

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah but the one time they admit something isn't that bad in their LP was fighting Egg Genesis, which seemed like an actual competent boss fight where the camera wasn't broken and things made sense.
I recall them also mentioning it in one of the sub missions where it's just Sonic homing attacking stuff in town, which is actually one of the few aspects that work in Sonic's gameplay. Since 06 the homing attack has been much more reliable than it's adventure counterparts. Of course this is all ruined when the camera decides to have an epilepsy beneath your feet.

And it's funny too, because up until the Mach Speed section of Radical Train, it's probably the most competent stage in the game. The LPers actually have a pretty easy time getting through part 1 (probably due to all the retries and deaths from part 2 though, ha.)

Azure J

You guys reminded me of two things with this thread. I haven't finished watching the Pokecapn LP and good God was that shit the funniest case study on gamers vs. bad game ever.
There was an instant in one of the levels, this castle looking place I beleve "Kingdom Valley", where after numerous tries to pass through this section leading to the ceiling of the building, his homing dash glitches and the guy's there like no problem, I'll just make a second jump and try again (or something similar). Literally the instant that sentence finished, the entirety of the walkway crumbles from under himself and he lets out the most amazing scream of frustration. That shit was so good, it needed a title, something to the effect of "The Breaking of Man".

If anyone knows what that timestamp is or which video it was, hook me up please. That was the single most amazing thing ever in the parts of the LP I got around to watching. :lol

Rain_ng

Banned
plagiarize said:
i hope you can get treatment for your aspergers. as a condition it isn't treated seriously enough.

LOL Thanks man! Watching some of these vids makes me almost want to play it again out of sheer morbid curiosity. I already 1000'd it, its done all the mental damage it can right?!

TheOGB

Banned
Preferring Adventure gameplay is one thing.

Preferring 06 to anything is something entirely different.

You guys reminded me of two things with this thread. I haven't finished watching the Pokecapn LP and good God was that shit the funniest case study on gamers vs. bad game ever.
There was an instant in one of the levels, this castle looking place I beleve "Kingdom Valley", where after numerous tries to pass through this section leading to the ceiling of the building, his homing dash glitches and the guy's there like no problem, I'll just make a second jump and try again (or something similar). Literally the instant that sentence finished, the entirety of the walkway crumbles from under himself and he lets out the most amazing scream of frustration. That shit was so good, it needed a title, something to the effect of "The Breaking of Man".

If anyone knows what that timestamp is or which video it was, hook me up please. That was the single most amazing thing ever in the parts of the LP I got around to watching. :lol
Holy shit yes, this must be found

Zafir

Just watching that LP now, at part 19 so far. I am so glad I just gave up when I did, I managed to miss out on the horror that is Radical Train.

Zafir

AzureJericho said:

Is this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7z5J6qFUWQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=1318s

That scream when the stairway crumbles is pretty damn amazing.

Anth0ny

Volcano Stage:

So far, this was the best stage in the game. No gimmicks, no mach speed segments and only one loading screen in the middle of the stage!

Oh shit. There's Knuckles.

Well, as expected, they broke what was already fine (SA2 Knuckles). However, he's not too bad. Definitely easier to control than Tails. And it was just a short segment (lighting up all the purple orbs at once, thanks Yami Yugi).

Yup, best stage so far.

woah why am I fighting Lavos already

Anth0ny

Back to the HUB world:

I'm now speaking to Antonio. He is a spirit of one of the three legendary musketeers. Looks like an old guy to me. Nonetheless, I need to find someone who's fast, someone who's strong, and someone who can fly. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

-HOLY FUCK THESE LOADING TIMES. Remember Pele the Beloved Dog? Multiply that by 5. LOADING the old man says 1 sentence LOADING finish stage in 45 seconds LOADING old man says 1 sentence LOADING rinse and repeat 4 fucking times.

-So I just got the bounce. Cool, I always liked that move in SA2. Only one problem... YOU'RE LOCKED INTO PLACE WHEN YOU USE IT. Once again, fucking up shit from Adventure 2. Unreal.

Train Stage:

-Again, this isn't too bad. Having to prevent the train from crashing is kinda dumb, but it's basically a timer. Just had to pick it up a little. And hope to Christ I don't homing attack/glitch off a ledge. Luckily for me, I didn't.

-HOLY FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK THIS IS FAST. Another Mach Speed segment. I hit the jump button and flew 4 kilometres forward. Good god man.

Believe it or not, I beat it on the first try. So, so far, that's been the best mach speed segment. No running into shit, no random camera switches, just PURE SPEED. I've played Sonic Colors, I could deal with that.

Zomba13

EmCeeGramr said:
This is a joke, you're just watching a playthrough and using that to make the most opposite to reality statements possible.
Probably true. Much easier to believe that than someone actually liking Sonic 06.

Anth0ny

EmCeeGramr said:
This is a joke, you're just watching a playthrough and using that to make the most opposite to reality statements possible.

What's so bad about it? Nothing really stood out compared to everything else. Maybe I'm just getting used to how bad the game is, and it's not phasing me?

Platy

Anth0ny said:
Having said that... there's something about this game. I'm not sure what it is. Charm? Maybe that's the word. Maybe not. For some reason, I still want to play this game. I want to finish the whole thing. I want to see just how far the rabbit hole goes. I get a sense of excitement while playing. Between the loading times and losing progress, this game is... fun. And to be honest, well...

I can't say the same thing about Sonic Unleashed, or Colors.

the word you are looking for is called Stockholm syndrome

...or just plain masochism =P

Anth0ny said:
What's so bad about it? Nothing really stood out compared to everything else. Maybe I'm just getting used to how bad the game is, and it's not phasing me?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqQQ18jkt4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgiM6-t34qM

watch as they glitch through a bunch of bullshit, the level design confuses everything, the controls fuck everything up, and at one point a scripted boost pad throws them off the level for no reason and kills them

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny said:
-HOLY FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK THIS IS FAST. Another Mach Speed segment. I hit the jump button and flew 4 kilometres forward. Good god man.

Believe it or not, I beat it on the first try. So, so far, that's been the best mach speed segment. No running into shit, no random camera switches, just PURE SPEED. I've played Sonic Colors, I could deal with that.
I... uh... I hated that level and that mach speed section. -_-

I'm interested in seeing how the rest of your playthrough develops then. This is interesting.

Christopher

IT WAS A GOOD GAME DAMIT - it was just very rushed and felt sloppy I feel with a re release it could be a lot better in the future. The music was great as well as the graphics the awful loading time and buggy gameplay killed it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Christopher said:
IT WAS A GOOD GAME DAMIT

no

Christopher said:
it was just very rushed and felt sloppy

Yes.

Christopher said:
I feel with a re release it could be a lot better in the future.

No. Well, maybe if you're into beastiality sims.

Christopher said:
The music was great

ok

Christopher said:
as well as the graphics

No. Even Colors looks better, to say nothing of Unleashed and Generations.

Christopher said:
the awful loading time and buggy gameplay killed it.

Solid gameplay is pretty much the qualifier for being a good game.

qq more

Graphics in 06 always looked awful. The characters (especially Sonic, Elise and Robotnik) looked hideous, and the levels themselves looked very dull and lifeless. Can't stand it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Christopher said:
IT WAS A GOOD GAME DAMIT - it was just very rushed and felt sloppy I feel with a re release it could be a lot better in the future. The music was great as well as the graphics the awful loading time and buggy gameplay killed it.
The core fundamentals of the game (basic platforming, level manipulation and design, gameplay/quest design and execution, etc) cannot be excused and thus I have a lot of difficulty calling it a good game. However, wouldn't buggy gameplay and the game overally feeling rushed and sloppy make it a sub-par title, then?

I can agree that the music was great, though.

Professor Beef said:
I have the demo installed and ready to play on my PS3 right now, but...I'm scared to play it.
Play it! Maybe it might help you feel a little better.

Top Bottom