• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Suikoden II - I was so wrong to look down on this game

urfe

have played about 5 hours of Suikoden II before. I bought it for the PSX because it was when I was 15 with my first job buying any RPG released for the system. However, I played it right after Suikoden 1, and thought it was far too similar, and basically because of that super boring.

Fast forward about 15 years where I have a Vita, and where I bought Suikoden 1 and 2 (JP) for PSP many years ago, only to be untouched (see above reason).

I beat Suikoden about a week ago, and while it was fun to play, the game reeked of mediocrity. The only reason I got through it was sprite based RPGs do a little something, and the battles were fast paced, making it a fairly fun game to play (compared to the PSX FF games where a Suikoden battle can be finished in the time one loads).

Now replaying Suikoden II, I'm about 8 hours in, and it's probably one of the best I've ever played.

Whenever people in the past have said such things, I've said "why?" and have never been satisfied with the answers. I'd like to go over a few seemingly small things that really make the game great:

1) Sprite animations
Seems so small, but the amount of special sprite animations in different scenes really makes the game and characters come alive. The scene near the beginning where you're walking by a moving carriage impressed me in 2014. It makes you really sad that 2D RPGs haven't been improved upon, and everything moved to 3D.

2) Landscape dialogue scenes
Two characters sitting outside a castle with the sunset, having a serious chat about live and whatnot. The beauty of the scene really makes a huge impact.

3) Music
The music isn't God tier like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI, but it sets the scenes really good in this pseudo Chinese world.

4) Mature Dialogue/Story
I'm playing it in Japanese, so I'm really not sure if the English version is this good (I imagine it must be), but the drinking scenes, the suggestive jokes of the dancer, the pure evilness of the villain, the story of the small child with you, it does not feel like a game aimed at pre-teens like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger, nor does it feel like a game aimed at teenagers like the PSX Final Fantasies.

I've just got past the part where I gave up 15 years ago, around the Neclord (7-8 hours in?), and it feels like a game I want to savour, and play only an hour or so a day to really let it all sink in.

I'm hoping the quality continues throughout, and that I haven't missed any of the 108 characters yet! (Haven't been using a guide, although it feels like I wouldn't mind playing it again).

Only one complaint is in the PSP version the frame rate skips quite often in a few places. Usually it's not very noticeable though.

As a bonus, I have a bit of a lame hobby of taking pics of games I'm playing and Instagramming them. One is a little blurry (I'm on the train playing games), but I thought I would share some.

B0gJwKMCMAIFNEq.jpg

B0gJwJXCQAA_jlQ.jpg

B0gJwJ4CIAA03oE.jpg

jeremy1456

Man, if you're only 7-8 hours in then you haven't even experienced the best parts of the game yet.

I won't spoil anything, but this is one of the few JRPGs that steadily gets better (in both gameplay scenario and story) the farther that you get.

I have the PS1 disc, but I want a digital copy for Vita play SO BAD!!!!

Please Konami, make it happen

Still hoping for stealth PS1 compatibility with PS4 2.0

urfe

Man, if you're only 7-8 hours in then you haven't even experienced the best parts of the game yet.

I won't spoil anything, but this is one of the few JRPGs that steadily gets better (in both gameplay scenario and story) the farther that you get.

Awesome. I feel so lucky to have not yet played such an awesome game.

I gotta do this as slow as possible.

A 2D sequel would be amazing.

5taquitos

One of my favorite RPGs of all time. Powerful from start to finish, and chock-full of amazing characters and locations.

The political intrigue and Rune system set it apart for me when I first played it, and felt much more "believable" than most JRPGs' outlandish stories at the time.

I would do just about anything for Suikoden VI.

PetrCobra

Interesting that you're taking pics of your games off-screen, I thought Vita has a system-wide screenshot function (definitely seen a lot of user-grabbed screenshots), do you prefer it this way?

mdubs

Banned
I've never played this but all of the GAF hype has me chomping at the bit waiting for Konomi to make it happen and release it on PSN.

urfe

I've never played this but all of the GAF hype has me chomping at the bit waiting for Konomi to make it happen and release it on PSN.

I'm not sure what to say. The game has been hyped for years, and that's the reason I bought it for 40CAN used around 2003.

However, it didn't live up to it for me then at all, and now it does and more. The difference between being 20 and 31? The effects of 3D being fresh and new?

No idea, but oh man was I wrong.

jeremy1456

Awesome. I feel so lucky to have not yet played such an awesome game.

I gotta do this as slow as possible.

A 2D sequel would be amazing.

If there's one Game I wish I could play again for the very first time it's definitely Suikoden II.

On another note i randomly purchased the ps1 version new when it first came out. I had never played the original, but figured it was a JRPG and only costed me $30 so why not?

I ended up playing only a few hours in. Instantly hated it, and shelved the game for a few years. My little brother asked to play it randomly once so I let him. I kinda started watching him halfway through and fell absolutely in love with the game.

Best $30 I ever spent. Such an incredible RPG.

Huh. Didn't know this was transferable. Do you need to play the first Suikoden first, or are the unrelated Final Fantasy style?

The story is essentially standalone, although many characters from the first game return in the second .. still, you don't have to play the first to enjoy them. It makes it that much better, but the game is downright AMAZING, even by itself. I still own my physical copy, and protect it greedily, waiting for the day for a PSN release so I can play it on Vita ;(

Miguel81

I've recently replayed the original because I hadn't since '96. Part II is in need of a playthrough, as it's most beloved in the series and I have never played it. Crazy expensive, though, and it needs to be made available for old-timers and new cats alike.

Edit: I'm not sure if II will be out I in terms of music, as I LOVE the soundtrack for it. One of my favorites, especially the overworld theme.

One of the best JRPGs ever.

One of the guys at Konami has been playing this game on twitch to try and drum up support for a PSN release. He's somewhat far into the game now.

I'm playing Suikoden 1 on Vita at the moment, enjoying it.

It's not amazing, but I dig it. Hearing that Suikoden 2 is that much better makes me really wish for a NA release.

OP, I envy you for getting to experience my favourite JRPG for the first time. Even with the notoriously shoddy translation we Westerners got, it has one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a videogame.

Arthea

Never ever I can forgive someone that calls Suikoden mediocrity. That's so bloody not true *leaves shaking head sadly*

I got Suikoden 1 in the recent PSN sale, it was fun, not great but it was alright.

I sure do wish I could play Suikoden 2, what kind of heartless monsters only put out 1 game in a series? Why isn't it on PSN?

Grisby

I'm glad you gave it another shot. It's one of the greatest, if not greatest rpg's of all time.

The way it tied into 1 if you had a save was great too.

ramuh

I've currently played through this game six freaking times. So amazing. I can't believe I bought it when it first released many years ago. Disc still works! It's why I will keep my PS3 for a long long time.

Konami Plz.

Meowster

Incredible, incredible game that just keeps getting better with time. I thought the first Suikoden was pretty close to perfection on its own, but the sequel does everything and more. Did you play the first one as well and transferred over your file?

Ending Spoilers for Suikoden II:
I couldn't finish the game because someone revealed to me what happens if you don't have every single recruitable character.. and I somehow missed the very first recruit in the first war battle. I couldn't continue playing after that, it would have hit me harder than Aeris dying. :(

5taquitos

Ending Spoilers for Suikoden II:
I couldn't finish the game because someone revealed to me what happens if you don't have every single recruitable character.. and I somehow missed the very first recruit in the first war battle. I couldn't continue playing after that, it would have hit me harder than Aeris dying. :(

I didn't know about that and spent like 5 years thinking that what happened was how it went down. Didn't find out the truth until I got all 108 on my run through the whole series years later.

espher

The storyline is just fantastic. They really build up all of the main players well, and the sidequests tend to at least be stories for characters and not just pure 'go get xp/loot' fests.

urfe

OP, I envy you for getting to experience my favourite JRPG for the first time. Even with the notoriously shoddy translation we Westerners got, it has one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a videogame.

Did they cut out things like alcohol and the sexually suggestive stuff? Or was it just poorly constructed grammatically? Does Victor swear all the time?

Never ever I can forgive someone that calls Suikoden mediocrity. That's so bloody not true *leaves shaking head sadly*

The first game? It has great parts to it, but I really do think it's mediocre in many ways, especially in dungeon design, and story progression.

Tiu Neo

It only gets better. It's my favorite game, ever.

I hope this Konami US "campaign" gives us results, and we can at least get II on PSN.

EDIT: Konami is streaming Suikoden II today. THAT battle. Spoilers, obviously. http://www.twitch.tv/Konami

Meneses

One of my favorite games ever.

Sony would be getting my money the minute they release it on PSN
never, I guess

Meowster

I didn't know about that and spent like 5 years thinking that what happened was how it went down. Didn't find out the truth until I got all 108 on my run through the whole series years later.
More Suikoden II spoilers!
Was surprisingly way more attached to that character than I would have thought. Couldn't get back into it after that, even though I was very close to beating the game. Sad day.

Top Bottom