• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Expanse Season 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm glad it got renewed for a 3rd season, but like many, I am concerned about its long-term future, though the fact that it's syndicated through Netflix is encouraging. If SyFy bail on it, there's always the possibility they might pick it up, they already list it as a Netflix Original here in the UK at least.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Been trying to get into it, but haven't had much luck. The first two episodes are all over the place, without me having much of an idea of whats going on. I want to read ahead to see if its worthwhile but not spoiler myself either

Been trying to get into it, but haven't had much luck. The first two episodes are all over the place, without me having much of an idea of whats going on. I want to read ahead to see if its worthwhile but not spoiler myself either

It gets better really quickly. The first episode especially is super scatterbrained.

jerry113

Banned
Y'all should buy the series on Amazon Prime. The HD quality is amazing compared to SyFy' website's shit streaming quality.

Paganmoon

Honestly, if the Expanse continues to get ratings like this, and Sci-Fi cancels the show after S3, I can't blame them. They gave it a chance, which is more than most networks could say. Until then though, I'm going to spread the word as much as I can on this show. Man would that suck though.

SyFy doesn't own the show though. So say they decide not to renew, depending on how it does on Netflix internationally, Netflix could very well buy the worldwide rights and produce it.

That is ofcourse assuming It's getting good ratings on Netflix.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So it's starting to click for me at episode 4.

Small question, I don't want the answer, but just a yes or no. Do we ever find out what happened to that one girl and the blue thing they show in the first episode, first thing?

DBT85

So it's starting to click for me at episode 4.

Small question, I don't want the answer, but just a yes or no. Do we ever find out what happened to that one girl and the blue thing they show in the first episode, first thing?

Very little gets brought up in The Expanse that doesn't get referred back to. The show is tight enough that they don't introduce much that isn't fairly integral to the story.

Great show, just caught the end of season 2 myself.

TheBear

As a fan of the books I enjoyed watching season 1 but it honestly felt so all over the place I felt like I was constantly filling in the blanks with my own knowledge from the books, I can't imagine what it would be like for a first time viewer. But apparently that isn't a problem for most so I don't know. Looking forward to S2 hitting Aus Netflix

I'm kinda let down by the second season... Spoilers:
I liked the idea of a detective in space thing, but now it's just turning into a regular ass space show, monsters and all.

Carn82

As a fan of the books I enjoyed watching season 1 but it honestly felt so all over the place I felt like I was constantly filling in the blanks with my own knowledge from the books, I can't imagine what it would be like for a first time viewer. But apparently that isn't a problem for most so I don't know. Looking forward to S2 hitting Aus Netflix

For what it's worth, S2 has been much better in pretty much all fronts. 'book reader' myself and I was pleasantly surprised.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I also think viewing habits are cyclical, and right now sci-fi is not that popular. Fantasy is more dominant.

I think there's been a slight uptick. Star Wars in theaters is good for sci-fi on TV. But the uptick really is slight. Fantasy is definitely more commanding right now, yeah.

Machine

I had just read the first book in the series before starting to watch S1 and some of the changes were a bit jarring. For some reason, I find Thomas Jane to be particularly annoying as well. Maybe it's the goofy comb-over haircut and hat combo.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
They got mother fucking Asher from Spartacus in this bitch

So just finished season 1. It's the multiple tales coming together and it just sort of happens. Not quite sure how to feel. I like it, but it's rough.

Crispy75

They got mother fucking Asher from Spartacus in this bitch

So just finished season 1. It's the multiple tales coming together and it just sort of happens. Not quite sure how to feel. I like it, but it's rough.
S2 improves. That rough feeling goes away :)

Shiloa

Ok in follow up to my previous post: I get it now.

The entirety of S1 is one long (long) trawl just to get to that finale episode where things finally come together. It's a bit like how BSG had the prologue miniseeries but it's stretched out over an entire season here.

But it does get good.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
4 episodes in to S2.

The accent on some of the belters is really annoying, I can't place it, but it's like a South African or something.

Davey Cakes

Just finished Season 1 on Amazon Prime.

The show really sucked me in. I think it's great, though I wasn't even aware of the book. I have no problems with the pacing and I think the production values are really strong. Solid, diverse cast as well. Obviously it picks up in a big way at episode 8 or so but I quite enjoyed the journey getting to that point.

Probably the best space sci-fi (or "space opera") since BSG. I'm looking forward to starting Season 2, but I'm considering waiting until it's free on the streaming services.

EDIT: Holy crap, this show has bad ratings? WTF? I guess that's to be expected in the age of streaming. I hope if SyFy fails then someone else gets a chance to pick it up because you don't get quality Sci-Fi shows like this very often.

I just binged watched the shit out of this on Amazon, it's so fucking good. My favorite science fiction show in a long ass time.

I wanted to ask if Season 2 is worth buying on blu ray? (I know S2 just wrapped up, and the blu ray comes out on July 28th, but I have no other way to watch it since I'm a cord cutter or unless it shows up a streaming service sometime soon).

Plus I want to support the show, since it looks like it doesn't haven't good ratings.

Oh yeah one more thing, obviously love the show but one thing that bugged me is that they wasted Jay Hernandez in this.

Feep

Banned
Randomly, I ran into Cas Anvar today at E3 (Alex). We chatted a bit about the show, his roles in gaming, the SAG-AFTRA strike, and more.

SUPER cool guy, really chill, genuinely into gaming. LIKE I DIDN'T LOVE THIS SHOW ENOUGH ALREADY.

Volimar

I just binged watched the shit out of this on Amazon, it's so fucking good. My favorite science fiction show in a long ass time.

I wanted to ask if Season 2 is worth buying on blu ray? (I know S2 just wrapped up, and the blu ray comes out on July 28th, but I have no other way to watch it since I'm a cord cutter or unless it shows up a streaming service sometime soon).

Plus I want to support the show, since it looks like it doesn't haven't good ratings.

Oh yeah one more thing, obviously love the show but one thing that bugged me is that they wasted Jay Hernandez in this.

Season 2 is even better than season 1. BUY BUY BUY

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've been evangelizing this show as best I can. There are just so many people who don't think SyFy has it in them anymore. That's the biggest hurdle.

emag

Finished up with season 1, and was left quite disappointed for a few reasons:
1. The story/storytelling/pacing is massive step down from the books. The constant mini-cliffhangers on cuts are grating throughout. On the other hand, I do appreciate having Chrisjen around earlier, even if her language is cleaned up.
2. The casting: Holden has no gravitas or sense of maturity -- he seems too much like a kid fresh out of school. Amos also lacks presence and is much smaller physically than expected. I came around on the rest of the cast (Chrisjen is great).
3. The production values, direction, framing, music, etc. are far from BSG level, despite what's being said in other threads. It's definitely closer to typical/forgettable SyFy shows/movies.

I don't think I'll bother with the new season(s).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Season 2 ramps up the quality and it gets much better. I think that's where the "show is cinematic" praise comes from.

Honestly though, I stopped watching at the episode where the first book ends. I think my subconscious decided that was the end and I didn't keep watching. Will probably continue via streaming at some point.

I just started this yesterday and am currently at S1E4. Holy shit, that was an intense episode. I love the realism in this show. It had me in E1 when the canterburry warned the crew of high G forces during the turning maneuver and I just loved how the space battle in this episode is "welp, they fired theirs, we fired ours let's wait for a couple of minutes until something happens". That's something I've never seen before in a SF show and it just adds so incredibly much.

Re: Production values: I'm a bit torn. The cinematography is quite good but occassionally you can really tell the greenscreen, especially during the shoot on Ceres. I wouldn't say the show looks outstanding, but it's alright.

Jezbollah

So FYI (for those that dont know) Expanse Season 2 hits Netflix UK in September. I don't expect other EU markets to be long after.

I've been waiting for S2 for a while. Best sci-fi since BSG IMO.

Qasiel

So FYI (for those that dont know) Expanse Season 2 hits Netflix UK in September. I don't expect other EU markets to be long after.

I've been waiting for S2 for a while. Best sci-fi since BSG IMO.

This is very welcome news. Binged the hell out of S1 a couple of months ago and have been waiting for S2 to drop on Netflix.

I started it a few days ago, and at the end of season 1.

Its fantastic. I'm usually not into detail driven sci fi. Like world building and all that shit. But this show doesn't do any of that in a bad way. Its just details that sketch the universe out and make it feel cool.

I also love Dark Matter, which is a very different show, but also very similar. Dark Matter is what I would call fun sci fi, more humorous with crazy things going on. I thought I would not like The Expanse because I tend to like my sci fi like the Expanse. Using sci shit, to have fun, to create drama, tension and humor, and do whacky awesome things.

But I am seriously hooked on Expanse at the moment. Going to finish off the first season right now. Looks great on Netflix too. Don't know if its HDR, but it seems it.

Q8D3vil

Show is amazing, just finished ep 6. My only ptoblem is the main character who is so fucking bland vanilla. Thomas jane is killing it though.

Fbh

Yep really liked season 1.

Hopefully the new one comes to Netflix in my country. It even had the Netflix logo on it so I assume there is some financing / publishing going on.

Xe4

Banned
I'm so jealous that everyone gets this show on Netflix except people in the fucking US. $20 fucking dollars down the drain every season.

Worth it to support the show though. Especially since it's cable ratings are awful, and I want to see the show run to completion.

Zoe

I'm so jealous that everyone gets this show on Netflix except people in the fucking US. $20 fucking dollars down the drain every season.

Worth it to support the show though. Especially since it's cable ratings are awful, and I want to see the show run to completion.

There's always Prime.

It's one of my favorite shows currently. I really hope it's able to finish its story and not get cancelled.

Y'all should buy the series on Amazon Prime. The HD quality is amazing compared to SyFy' website's shit streaming quality.

I can vouch for this. Looks incredible.

It's one of my favorite shows currently. I really hope it's able to finish its story and not get cancelled.

Doubtful. The books are at book 6 currently with 3 more in the works. S2 of the show atm maybe scratched about 1/4 or 1/3 of the second book albeit they are taking some liberties with the narative compared to the books.

As far as i know the ratings are not stellar so with the amount of story still left to tell based on the books and if the ratings remain as they are it wouldn't hold my breath.

I am also in the minority where i seriously desliked S2 compared to the source material especially because i thought S1 was a really good match compared to the books. And personally if they continue to degrade the story and characters as much as they do compared to the books they might as well cancel it before it goes completly to shit.

I know thats harsh to say because really good scifi shows are increadibly rare but in the event of cancellation (or even without that event) i would rather urge people who like the show to read the books which are imho better prepresentation of the story and the characters.

But again this is just my minority opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom