• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Order 1886; what could have been

Cornbread78

I recently borrowed this game from a friend and gave it a whirl since it is such a short romp and all… OK, OK, I won’t go off on a tangent on how bad this game was like we have seen so many times before, however, they did miss a huge opportunity for something enormous with this game. Like everyone else, I was immediately spellbound by its graphical prowess and that feeling continued throughout the experience while playing. It is simply a beautiful game to look at. It’s dark, dreary and gloomy ambiance fits the story and setting perfectly.

At scenes like this I often had to just stop and stare at the great details of the setting.

sz1w4Zg.jpg

A few other things that I enjoyed about the gamer were the seamless transitions from cut scene to gameplay, and I actually liked the different feel and uses of the weapons presented. I found myself using the carbine and revolver more than anything else, but if I ran out of bullets and needed to pick something up, I could usually find a suitable weapon to kill off the mobs of enemies coming at me.

A couple things that were really annoying about the game:

o5p1FNS.png

Maybe it was just me, but the cover system was so inconsistent when trying to duck in and out of a firefight. The preset animations wouldn’t lean out of cover when I wanted it to, wouldn’t blind fire other times and would sometimes just not respond at all to my commands as it would get stuck between peeking around, peeking over, leaning or jumping out of cover at the same time…..

AaVOpJv.gif

I get it now. I saw all the complaints before and I said there is no way there were that many QTE battles and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but damn, between those couple battles with lycan and the garden (just let me stealth kill them, none of that stupid timing QTE crap) sequence, I don’t ever want to see QTE’s again, unless I’m making decisions during a cut scene. Seriously, timed QTE’s are the worst; maybe I’m just getting old and my hand/eye coordination is slowing down, but this got so frustrating at times….

Story:
OK, so we were obviously going to a sequel to The Order 1886 by everything going down during the ending credits and I’m honestly interested to see where they could have gone with it. Both the world, it’s lore and the characters involved all leave a lot of room for both growth and closure. Lycan’s, vampires, the revolution and all of the other story pieces can be continued through gameplay and narrative if they choose to give it a go. I must also say, I actually liked how they mixed history, fantasy and lore all together when they crafted the story. I mean, even this loveable mascot is believable to have come from that era with it’s plain design.

TyiqQWd.gif

Overall, the game was beautiful to look at and is/was definitely a graphical benchmark to behold on the system (well, looks like those Naughty Gods will surpass it.) The story was compelling and kept me interested the entire time, but felt really rushed, forced and incomplete by the end of it all. The game was also frustrating to play at times with the cover system not working correctly leaving you exposed to enemy pinpoint accuracy and cornering you with no where to move (you know, sniping you with a pistol from across the battlefield.) The field of view was also flawed and made set pieces difficult to deal with at times (lycan, non-QTE battles).
I know they were really nailing down the cinematic approach for this game and believe they achieved that (no problem at all with the vaunted “black bars”), but I just wish they could have put together a total package. Again, this goes back to the fact the game was a huge missed opportunity for not only the dev., but for fans as well. I would actually be interested in a sequel to the story to see how they tie in all of the loose ends of the story and bring me back into that world and at the same time, fix some of these issues and really open things up in regards to gameplay. However, from everything has been said, this IP has been dead and buried by both Sony and the new CEO of Ready at Dawn…

Jawmuncher

I enjoyed my time with the game and also was digging the story as well. Much like you OP, with just a bit more changes it could have been something even better.

Pif

Banned
I also wish they are recycling this engine into something better next time.

Also hiring a better writer.

Eggbok

I love the Order but replaying it made me understand why so many people dislike it. There is so much damn handholding
Use this gun a certain way, walk this way, unnecessary cutscene for climbing ladders, etc. under cooked story, shit halfbreed encounters.

The best thing about the Order imo is the Photomode. Literally the best one so far on PS4. I've replayed the game about 4 times just to take pictures, make a video and gifs, etc.
But it definitely does deserve another chance, there is so much potential.

I agree with you, OP. This game needs a sequel. So much to do with the story, and so much that Ready At Dawn can improve on, if given the chance.

Interested to see what role Lafayette would end up playing, and going to the Americas and India would be very awesome additions to London.

TM94

Would love to get the full story about the development of this game.

Something went badly wrong here.

Brofield

At least if they got the greenlight for a sequel, the graphics are already built up that they don't even need to muck around with animations or detail. Just focus on gameplay and story.

See, I wouldn't even have minded that it was so short if it were at least concise and stripped of the non-essentials. But the fact that it's ending was left so open ended and the series' future is undecided drives me mad that we might not get to learn more backstory of the Templars, Lycans and
vampires

Cornbread78

Overall, it's not a good game. It had the potential of being good game, but fails each time. But hey, at least it looked really good.

It has all the pieces there to be amazing, but stumbled along the way. I would even take a small downgrade in detail, if it allowed them to open up the gameplay and removed the QTE's for those Lycan battles, etc.

Top Bottom