• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Tomb Raider 2013

Mendax

The amount of Uncharted references in this thread just show how off trajectory they took the TR franchise with this reboot. Lost what made the series special and chased the AAA third person cover based shooter market, ended up making nothing but an Uncharted clone except now you can play it on the Xbox.

put in on the right track you mean. Less and less people played the old formula games up to a point where it wasn't feasible to make another anymore.

Woffls

Had this game in my Steam backlog for ages and finally decided to play through it.
Same here, just completed it a couple of days ago and thought it was brilliant. I don't know or care what Tomb Raider games are "supposed" to be like, but I really enjoyed this as an action game and somehow managed to feel some emotional investment for a change.

Yeah, there was way too much shooting after about half-way through the game, but I ignored all the side-quest stuff so that probably didn't help. I thought the mechanics and presentation were great, though, and the story was really entertaining for a while. Got a bit silly towards the end and I stopped caring.

The next game could be exceptionally good.

Jobbs

Banned
I really appreciate the change from "mythological vixen" to "sort of believable human woman". far more compelling, even if it makes more sense for a mythological vixen to be accomplishing these feats (such as killing hundreds of people).

conman

The writing was terrible across the board (characters, setting, dialogue, etc). But the combat, exploration, and level design were all totally top notch.

It's a great game living inside the body of a terrible one.

I really appreciate the change from "mythological vixen" to "sort of believable human woman". far more compelling, even if it makes more sense for a mythological vixen to be accomplishing these feats (such as killing hundreds of people).

I think they utterly destroyed any chance of making her "sort of believable" by having her break a done or impale herself on something any 10 minutes like it was some huge shit only to have her miraculously recover after a nap. The gory deaths were fine but I think the character would have been much better if she wasn't constantly seriously injuring herself in QTEs/cutscenes then instantly recovering.

I ended up enjoying the shooting and a few of the set-pieces. It's a good foundation for the series they just need to work in some Tome Raiding, puzzles, and challenging platforming into the sequel.

Jobbs

Banned
I think they utterly destroyed any chance of making her "sort of believable" by having her break a done or impale herself on something any 10 minutes like it was some huge shit only to have her miraculously recover after a nap. The gory deaths were fine but I think the character would have been much better if she wasn't constantly seriously injuring herself in QTEs/cutscenes then instantly recovering.

I ended up enjoying the shooting and a few of the set-pieces. It's a good foundation for the series they just need to work in some Tome Raiding, puzzles, and challenging platforming into the sequel.

miraculous healing is a requirement for video games, and so too is your ability to suspend your disbelief. if you wanted true realism, taking a single bullet hit would be likely to cripple or kill you. and yet you can take a hit then go hide and recover in seconds. video games.

Manu

miraculous healing is a requirement for video games, and so too is your ability to suspend your disbelief. if you wanted true realism, taking a single bullet hit would be likely to cripple or kill you. and yet you can take a hit then go hide and recover in seconds. video games.

The problem is that in this case it's the game that makes a big deal out of the wound.

Superflat

I wouldn't count that out yet necessarily. By rebooting the franchise they're able to give her a game showing her humble beginnings where she is a much more inexperienced, more "normal" extremely rich apprentice explorer, but by the end of the game she levels up to become primed killing machine, exorcist, and a treasure hunting expert.

edit: Now that I think about it, it'll be sort of strange if they try to give her a "skill leveling system" like the first game if she already mastered that shit on that island. Is she just going to forget how to cripple a man before shoving an ice pick into his jugular or not know how to create fire arrows in the sequel?

Jobbs

Banned
The problem is that in this case it's the game that makes a big deal out of the wound.

I didn't mind this, and it's really the least of the game's problems. The "cutscene injury" can be an annoying thing in various ways, but really, it's no big deal.

the bigger problem is the game's over reliance on repetitive action/setpieces while mostly ignoring exploration and platforming. I'd like to see a much more balanced approach with more open areas to explore -- and, honestly, I sort of anticipate this for the next game. Many video games in general are trending towards more agency, more open environments, and this is a trend I like.

It was ok, I found it pretty dull, the gameplay was fine and all but the game didn't grabbed me. When I discovered that some people thought that it was better than any Uncharted I was re1lly surprised. Opinions I guess.

RagnarokX

put in on the right track you mean. Less and less people played the old formula games up to a point where it wasn't feasible to make another anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it is tantamount to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit (another term for this would be "hollow victory").

buSrkKP.jpg

The first 4 games sold extremely well. The 5th game was something Eidos forced Core to make because they demanded yearly releases and they wanted more dev time for Angel of Darkness. Angel of Darkness was a game where Core bit off more than they could chew and added many elements people didn't want like a focus on story and cutscenes and an rpg system. With Legend Tomb Raider was given over Crystal Dynamics who decided to put a stronger focus on story, action, combat, and QTEs which was a turnoff for many. Legend and Anniversary were released as late PS2 games and PSP games. Underworld was rushed to market by Eidos and was pretty much unfinished and full of bugs. None of these games were marketed well at all. And yet somehow Legend and Underworld still managed to sell almost 3 million. Then Tomb Raider 2013 came out with a much higher budget and a crazy marketing campaign and it managed to sell around 3 million, too... They had to do sales and re-release the game for next-gen hardware to see any real sales. Being one of the only decent games available at PS4 and XBO's launch was pretty helpful. I imagine they could have just put that marketing behind a game that had good gameplay and still sold well.

EGM1966

I thought the tech side of it was great, liked the engine and the mechanics it supported.

Found game solid but ultimately uninspired. Felt like they'd followed Uncharted DF template (too many arena shoot outs, too few ancient tombs and too easy puzzles) instead of the far superior Uncharted 2 template then decided to stick an unnecessarily gritty and gory tone on top of it.

Wasnt bad but it good have been much better IMHO.

Pretty much; requiring Lara to have super-healing so she can constantly recover from unnecessary injuries diminishes her struggle which was one of the focuses of the narrative. I'd also argue you need to suspend your disbelief when a character's being shot in gameplay because the character needs to be able to get shot at and live, that's not the case in cutscenes.

Nice strawman, but people just want a game called Tomb Raider to be Tomb Raider. Navigating and actually exploring breathtaking environments that you have to actually figure out how to get through, surviving deadly traps, performing challenging feats of platforming, and solving intricate puzzles. You don't need tank controls or grids to achieve that. What Tomb Raider 2013 was was a game that gave players very little agency and presented no challenge. It was a pretty third person shooter with little else going for it and even then the AI was braindead and repetitive.

This and the rest of your posts itt are right. Not only did the game eschew what people liked of all past TRs, it didn't manage to be the survival game it was touted as being pre-release. It was just a knockoff Uncharted with faux-exploration that fooled many into calling it a Metroidvania.

I thought the game was pretty mediocre and unlike Uncharted, the set pieces were not only too scripted but also kinda bland and boring. It tried to be all spectacle but I can't recall being remotely impressed with any set-piece coming off the Uncharted series that it tried to be like.

I had a lot of ridiculous annoyances with the game too that I can't remember entirely but the most annoying of which was the inability to climb to the next area until I had hunted down and cleared all the enemies in one area. Dude ended up being glitched somewhere.

Seanspeed

Banned
Had this game in my Steam backlog for ages and finally decided to play through it. I am at about 80% completion now and what can I say... Game is pretty damn entertaining!

Sure, it's stealing a lot from Uncharted and does not feel like the old TR games, but I really love the pacing and variety. Story and characters are very forgettable, but the treasure hunting mixed with the classical Uncharted shooting action is fun. Weapon upgrades and abilities are also a nice addition.

It does not win any awards for innovation but people thirsty for some good old brainless AAA 3rd person action should be entertained. In a good way. Might pick up the "definitive" edition on PS4 at some point.
I do prefer this over Uncharted 3 and hope that U4 will be an overall more varied experience.

Thoughts?
Not much to add, really. Thoughts mostly echo yours. Would have preferred a more traditional Tomb Raider experience, but judging it for what it was, it was definitely an enjoyable game. And gorgeous.

Not sure the 'definitive' version is really worth double dipping on. Your choice, obviously, but the changes over the PC version aren't that big. Suppose it depends on what sort of PC you were playing on, though.

HeelPower

Better than the uncharted trilogy in terms of gameplay.

The story isn't amazing but the lore behind the island is pretty fascinating.

It was truly an amazing game.

sublimit

Banned

"Hey guys i hear Devil May Cry doesn't sell so well anymore so lets make it a FPS!!! But lets keep the DMC on the cover because we do want the old fans to buy it as well!!"

Game4life

Banned
I thought the tech side of it was great, liked the engine and the mechanics it supported.

Found game solid but ultimately uninspired. Felt like they'd followed Uncharted DF template (too many arena shoot outs, too few ancient tombs and too easy puzzles) instead of the far superior Uncharted 2 template then decided to stick an unnecessarily gritty and gory tone on top of it.

Wasnt bad but it good have been much better IMHO.

Yeah. UC2 is one of the greatest games of all time. No one remembered this shitty game the year it was released much alone now, One of the worst games I have had the misfortune of playing actually.

Okamid3n

I rented it at the library, played a bunch of hours. I still have it but I haven't touched it in a good 10 days now and my rental is almost over. I don't really feel like playing it anymore for some reason.

It's decent though. Is it worth finishing or is it just more of the same till the end?

Daingurse

I enjoyed it greatly. Kinda felt like a more open Uncharted with better gunplay, worse characterization though. My Lara was a lean, mean, killing machine.

Lokimaru

It aways puzzled me how People could claim that the tombs sucked, I was under the impression that the whole island was one giant Tomb and the "tombs" were just the secret areas from the original games.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It aways puzzled me how People could claim that the tombs sucked, I was under the impression that the whole island was one giant Tomb and the "tombs" were just the secret areas from the original games.

Those guys murdered more people than the Sawyers, Freddy, Jason and Michael combined, so I guess the island kinda was at least a graveyard.

I was very negative going into the new Tomb Raider but incredibly positive coming out.
IMO, it is an Uncharted clone, but one that fixes that series mistakes from my experience. They tone down the crazy setpiece moments, in exchange for much more polished gameplay basics, and it's all the better for it.
I was never a fan of Lara or the Tomb Raider franchise in the past, but I feel quite compelled now.

My only complaint, and it's a spoiler,
is that every good side character gets killed in this game, and all the lame ones survive. This series could have had an awesome cast of cool characters, if they hadn't sacrificed them all in the name of drama.

I thought it was a great game. One of my favorites last year. The story sucked and looking for the extra stuff was completely pointless, but aside from that I loved it. Fantastic graphics, great gunplay, and some nice open and memorable levels.

I rank it just slightly lower than Uncharted 2 (though it does do some things even better than Uncharted) but much better than Uncharted 3.

The Goat

What I could play of the game, I liked it. Problem I had with it, was the horrible camera shake. "Cinematic camera" I believe they called it. Made me ill, and almost instantly.

charsace

This is a better playing game than any of the Uncharted games with better platforming. The only thing Uncharted had over this is the non action cut scene which were just straight up better in every way.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I loved TR but can't see how anyone could consider it a Metroidvania. The game is almost completely linear with no backtracking. You can only revisit certain open areas and even then it's only to grab pointless collectables that add nothing to the game. I know Metroidvania is a term that's really open to interpretation but including this game would really be pushing it.

The only thing I dislike about it is that it has now become some kind of magnet for Uncharted hate.

I hated the collect-a-thon aspect of this game. Also, the metroidvania style made for a lot more walking and climbing than I ever wanted. Even the combat got tedious, as good as the bow was.

Imagine micro Assassin's creed divided into hubs which serves only one purpose. Waste fucking time. How people can compliment level design is baffling to say the least. There is no sense of exploration; the island is devoid of any real character other than a over-exaggerated eastern graveyard; temples and areas feel cobbled up together to fit into TR's auto-platforming mechanic; microvania on top of useless collectathons only serves to bolster Lara as your typical power fantasy character in the likes of COD and many other shooters.

The sad thing is, its that the superficial aspect of the game is just solid: Graphics and shooting mechanics. Had this been a brand new IP based around this design, it would have been a far more competent game that being shoehorned into an existing franchise. I'd wager that it would cost a lot less and in released in a tighter dev cycle.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
thought it was kinda lame

people saying it's like Uncharted make me less interested in Uncharted

feels like 1/3 of the game (aka all the actual survival gameplay to go along with the survival story) was focus-tested out

the best part of the combat, the pseudo-stealthy bow stuff, isn't usually viable in the late game because they just decide to throw a million enemies at you in areas where you have no stealth option

I guess it helped that I went into this game without too much nostalgia. I did own the original TR on PC in the nineties but never even finished it and did not bother with the sequels.

They should have just made it a new IP with a new title and all that.Calling it "Tomb Raider" was an insult to the series legacy.

True.

I finished the game 4 times, yes I enjoyed it but comparing it to the classic series it's s JOKE.

A Tomb Raider game with no actual main tombs? WTH? and no puzzles or swimming... what make me laugh the most is this is was marked as ( a survival is born ) with no healing items in the game :\

I need to take a deep good look at Anniversary because it was the perfect TR game... not to take a deep good look at Uncharted.

Tomb Raider had it own identity that other games tried to capture it... now it's just trying to capture other games with A LOT OF EXPLOSIONS -_-"

Top Bottom