• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Tomb Raider 2013

Pretty much. One of the worst games ever made in my opinion and makes me want to play Uncharted 2 every time I see footage of it.

I think Uncharted 2 is one of the worst games played and whenever I think of it, all I want to do is play Tomb Raider. Lol

I finished Tomb Raider a second time the other day, at my own pace this time around, and I liked it even more than the first. Story is quite meh but fun, and the characters are about as flat as Uncharted's characters. Gameplay and controls were really satisfying. One of my favorites from 2013, for sure.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
True, Uncharted stomps the set pieces, but TR has the edge in level design. Love the bow, the Metroidvania and the zip-lining action.

The biggest problem with this word is how everyone has a different definition. IMO the metroidvania aspects of TR amount to little more than backtracking, and it's only 3 sections of the game IIRC. These open sections are nice but the game is still very much on rails.

I think Uncharted 2 is one of the worst games played and whenever I think of it, all I want to do is play Tomb Raider. Lol

You must not play many games then.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I finished Tomb Raider a second time the other day, at my own pace this time around, and I liked it even more than the first. Story is quite meh but fun, and the characters are about as flat as Uncharted's characters. Gameplay and controls were really satisfying. One of my favorites from 2013, for sure.

I'm gonna agree with you there. Uncharted gets all the hype, but personally I enjoyed TR 2013 more than the 3 Uncharted games on PS3.

It's more atmospheric to me, and mixes some open-ish environments instead of just a straight-line set piece romp.

Vitten

Game was pretty good all in all; excellent graphics, high production values and very smooth controls.
Gameplay was very shallow though, you could really tell it had to cater to a very wide audience cos there wasn't any strategic depth or challenge in all your encounters and it was all a bit too streamlined and linear for my taste.

Oh yeah, the multiplayer did suck big time though.. no idea why they had it tacked on. Looked like a PS2 game and almost no-one was playing anymore. Was a bitch to get the MP trophies..

Look ... Tomb Raider is my faivourite franchise ever but TR 2013 better than Uncharted 2 ? Let me stop you there. The Story, pacing,characters and multiplayer were much better than TR 2013. That's not to say I didn't like the story in TR 2013, I did but it wasn't on the level of Uncharted 2. TR had all the cliches, shitty writing for the most part, predictable plot, shit tombs, crap characters other than Lara, Roth and Jonah also Camilla Luddington... change that CD! Oh god lord don't let me express how much I hate Sam. One thing TR had going over UC2 though was the gameplay, my god that cover system and bow mechanics were great also Lara's hair.

I'm excited for both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4 and I'll be getting both Day One

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would suggest you read the post he quote , consider the context of the response, then put new batteries in your sarcasm meter.

he obviously doesn't think that

On GAF you never know, there are people on this board that actually think RE6 is a good game.

Broank

+the actual shooting/controls were top notch.
+the whole mysterious WW2 Japanese island base stuff early on was actually really intriguing.
+Laura can survive falling through stuff and getting thrown around matched only by Drake.

-progression system, survival stuff, metroid stuff and all the collectibles were pretty much inconsequential after a few hours.
-story focused way too much on the dorky friends and supernatural cult stuff after a few hours.
-enemies were a bunch of bums, literally. And it was way too easy to take out an entire army of them with a pistol.

Really it could have been amazing if Instead of 80% shooting generic dudes, 15% running/falling on collapsing platforms 5% tombs/puzzles it had been 80% tombs puzzles, 20% shooting interesting enemies 0% running/falling on collapsing platforms. Hopefully that will be the ratio for the new game.

+Laura

Really it could have been amazing if Instead of 80% shooting generic dudes, 15% running/falling on collapsing platforms 5% tombs/puzzles it had been 80% tombs puzzles, 20% shooting interesting enemies 0% running/falling on collapsing platforms. Hopefully that will be the ratio for the new game.

I agree :)

But you had to.... 'LAURA' ? It's Lara ! I feel like Lara should've just been called Laura from the start. She was originally going to be a man but then changed to a female called Laura Cruz but that was changed to Lara Croft because it sounded more English (marketing). I think Laura Croft would've been fine.

I wonder what this would've created. If Lara Croft's character was swapped with a male do you think ND would've done a female protagonist ?

TedMilk

The controls and mechanics are pretty damn good. I just wish the scenario was like 80-90% tomb, like it should have been. We should have been shooting wolves and bears instead of people. The sense of isolation as the only human would have gone hand in hand with the metroidvania-style elements.

tbd

Terrible game in my opinion. That was the point where I accepted that Uncharted and similar games just aren't my cup of tea and I'll never understand people enjoying them. No gameplay or level design depth at all, never any sense of progress.

There were like two pretty cool puzzles in those additional tombs, though. No idea why the best part of the game was additional and most of the main game jumps that are impossible to miss and boring shootouts, though.

You must not play many games then.

Hehe, cute. I was being sarcastic, but I do believe Uncharted 2 is just as unsatisfying as the first and third were, which is to say I dislike it in aspect of gameplay, plot, and character development/establishment.

Tomb Raider had enjoyable gameplay. More importantly: comfortable controls. Beating all three Uncharted was fumbling. That's my experience.

I picked up the remaster on sale the other week on Xbox and I'm really enjoying the game so far! I really like the camera work and the movement. I also love the way Laura takes cover automatically. It flows so naturally. I'm loving the bow, and I like the way the guns feel.

I'm only 35% of the way through so far, but for $12 I think this game is great!

chemicals

I must admit. I am old school guy and I normally resist reboots.. Also a huge Tomb Raider fan from way back. When I first heard the new TR was gonna be bloody and gritty, i automatically hated it.

Fast forward to now and I am playing it for the first time on 360 and wow I really like it! To me it is a neat conglomeration of great ideas from other games... I must admit I just finished Black Flag and there are many things in this game that remind me of Assassin's Creed.. But I think everything has been tweaked to a crazy level of quality here. The platforming feels great, the bow is super fun and satisfying.. I'm straight up surprised.

The free-roam areas are the best part, but the set-pieces are really good and well-done.

The only negatives I see are
1. Too much combat
2. Survivor instinct makes the game too easy

But even these things are great - the bow is so much fun that I enjoy the extra combat, and survivor instint takes away frustration.

Fun stuff.

Top Bottom