• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp:Uncharted 4: A thief's End , holy f$&@!

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I didn't care for the story. It just wasn't what I was hoping for as a conclusion to the series.

But you're right, TC. It's amazing in terms of production: visuals, sound... just top shelf. & the photo mode is great. There are some fantastic gameplay refinements, as well.

Really looking forward to The Lost Legacy. Next month, IIRC

everyer

I have the same feeling. This is the only game making me think it's reality. I'm doing something I will never experience in real life.

Let's wait for the DLC!

Ok, long story short. I've had a ps4 since launch but the Xbox one was my primary console because I thought with all my friends on live ( they all eventually stopped playing as we all became fathers and such) and the library of over 1,000 movie titles it would always be my main.

I had the ps4 for the exclusives it would get and I've played through all the Uncharted games but for some reason, o wait I know, I was addicted too Destiny from day 1 and let so many games slide on by as not to take away from my 12 hour days in crucible. F ing pathetic I know.

Fast forward to now, and I just got a 4k, hdr, Dolby vision set and I thought well, time for the ps4 pro. I thought it would be a little stupid to get a xone s when I'll be getting a x1x in nov.

So I grab the pro, Uncharted, ratchet, and infamous.

I have no prior idea what this Uncharted is about, didn't read a single review and holy shit the opening was the most intense so far this gen. Not only that but it was absolutely beautiful in hdr. Then the scene with Nates new mundane job and the transition from the water to working class america, f ing extremely well executed. I just sat there with a smile in my face like , g damn naughty dog really is a step above the majority of the industry.

I feel like a kid again playing this game, I actually want to get all my daddy duties done today fast so I have more time tonight to play, o by the way how long of a game is it?

I'm just so glad I decided to buy it as in all honesty it took over my game of then with the first 5 chapters.
You should play the collection first, so the story and character relationships carry more weight in 4.

Yup pretty much. It does just about everything the best in the series except that it doesn't pace out its encounters well enough.

Still a pretty great game and my second favorite of the series, but it could have easily been a slam dunk.

If Drake's Fortune had combat as good as Thief's End I wouldn't have minded at all haha.

The Actual Fighting mechanics are similar between Drake's Fortune and UC4, the issue is that of level design which UC4 is pretty good at and Drake's Fortune is rather mediocre at. The Arenas are generally well put together but the enemy and weapon design is rather dull most of the time meaning fights are carried hard by the Arenas rather than everything in tandem. Granted, that's still really important that eventually succeeded in exploiting what works and is interesting with what they laid out but there are still flaws that are still carried in from the first game that never really went away.

FingerBang

DAMN YOU OP, I WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN NOW!

It's just a masterpiece. The characters, the story, the graphics, the gunplay, everything is perfect. Some of the cutscenes are shockingly good and, guess what? It actually gets better! You're in for a treat! :)

DieH@rd

Banned
I plan to replay U4 and TLOU once again when I get 4K HDR TV. I'm even delaying purchasing Horizon until I can get a new panel.

The game is great, but some parts of it feels to long, and I especially hate chapters that are most just talking and climbing.

Still I think it is a very good game.

The most gorgeous game I've ever played. The overall gameplay mechanics are meh, but I still had plenty of fun trying to get headshots and using the level design well. Aside from some horrible encounters it's pretty great all the way through.

velociraptor

Be warned, the pacing is so bad.

This game offers zero replayability.

I completed Uncharted 1 thrice, Uncharted 2 thrice and Uncharted 3 twice.

I have NO URGE to play this game again. It's just so goddamn boring.

Awesome game, I'd like to replay it, but it's still horribly expensive digitally.

It's the only uncharted game I played just once (maybe because of what velociraptor said, too).

Tosyn_88

I feel you Op. The game is amazing, when you progress, you will see things that will make you marvel at the hard craft from naughty dog. It's a mature uncharted story which some may not like but I appreciated it. The multiplayer is even very good, I played it a lot for about six months before moving on to Titanfall.
I am looking forward to lost legacy.

lol @ implying Uncharted 1 is good

It is. The melee system in UC1 is the best in the series. The subsequent games focused on being "cinematic" with the hand to hand combat. It doesn't leave room for creative combos or reward you for pulling off a good combo. The sixaxis is also used more. I feel like its become cool to hate UC1. It's a very good game.

I finished UC4 for the first time too OP. To get the most out of it I started the game on the hard difficulty since I guess you have to beat it on hard to unlock crushing difficulty. I enjoyed the game despite some of the issues that it has that people don't like talking about(the forced stealth system, game mechanics introduced and then discarded, the melee system, heavy focus on scripted sequences leaving you getting locked into animations or punishing alternative approaches). Its worth every penny though. The music(and the general use of music as a game mechanic too) is fantastic. The voice acting is some of the best in the industry even if sometimes its narratively in-congruent( two characters are brothers but have different accents?). The characters are all pretty memorable too.The acting in general is outstanding. Drake and Elena have perfect chemistry. The way their relationship is written is very believable.

I have some narrative complaints that left me unsatisfied( HUGE spoilers ahead)
Nobody addresses any PTSD that Drake may have as a consquence of killing people or some of the spooky shit he's seen? The fact that he's willing to kill for treasure? what is the price of human life to him? The way Nadine is set up as a hateable villain only for you to get your ass kicked by her and watch as she peaces out with a large share of your treasure? that was a huge disappointment. Rafe's motivation was also really bad.

Overall I do like the way they handled the ending though. I especially enjoyed some of my expectations being subverted. Great game. For me I'd rank them thus: UC2>UC4>UC1>UC3

64bitbros

I don't get the whole "pacing" issue. The game took its time to tell a story and it was in no rush to turn that dial up to 11 right from the start. And that was the right thing to do. If you tell a story you need to pace it. Just shooting from beginning to end is boring as fuck. I loved this game. But if it had one fault i would have liked a better OMG setpiece in the game. It lacked that. Maybe the rope behind the car scene would have been it if it weren't ruined by the E3 demo. It also has the best easter egg and ending in any game.

WITHE1982

Be warned, the pacing is so bad.

This game offers zero replayability.

I completed Uncharted 1 thrice, Uncharted 2 thrice and Uncharted 3 twice.

I have NO URGE to play this game again. It's just so goddamn boring.

Each to his own I guess.

I've completed it twice and I'm planning a third play-through soon. I can't honestly remember being bored throughout my time with the game. Even during the exposition sequences the visuals and superb character interactions had me hooked.

The last thing I'd describe the game as is boring TBH.

Meh game, last of us is a million times more interesting, either in gameplay or story.

Damn! Boring and now meh. ND need to up their game a bit it seems.

I do agree that TLOU is a better game though. However I'm massively biased as it's arguably my favourite game of all time.

If Lost Legacy follows the same pattern as Left Behind did, it'll have more and better combat than the full game.

Huh? If anything Left Behind's influence is what made UC4 what it is. I really hope that The Lost Legacy can cut all the fat from UC4 to deliver a more brisk, consistently high octane experience. UC4 is still knocking around in my brain a year later and I can't shake the disappointment.

velociraptor

Huh? If anything Left Behind's influence is what made UC4 what it is. I really hope that The Lost Legacy can cut all the fat from UC4 to deliver a more brisk, consistently high octane experience. UC4 is still knocking around in my brain a year later and I can't shake the disappointment.
Spot on.

Uncharted 4 really did deviate from the original formula that made the original games fun.

It felt like a TLOU clone. Though coming to think of it, I think the pacing of TLOU was better than Uncharted 4. In the latter, there was far too much pointless exploration, and segments where you were forced to a halt.

uncharted 4 resonance and impact is much great if you played 1-3 first. That attic scene is :'( :O <3

all at once. I fucking loved it.

I've learned it's best not to hope

• they had druckmann and straley who showed they knew what's good with uc2
  • they had examples of what worked with 2 and what didn't with 3
  • the gameplay was so refined. the arenas were dope. the truck chase was peak fully-playable setpiece action
  • the elevator shootout showed the potential for unique encounter design

"let's make them climb."

Awesome game, loved it from start to finish. Starting to feel like I should do another playthrough!

You should do so. I'm curious about people's experience replaying this game, because it falls into the "liked the first playthrough, but replays are torture" category for me.

It felt like a TLOU clone. Though coming to think of it, I think the pacing of TLOU was better than Uncharted 4. In the latter, there was far too much pointless exploration, and segments where you were forced to a halt.

I said a year ago that I found TLOU way more engaging and better paced than UC4. As an action game, as a linear exploration game, the "cat and mouse" combat dynamic, the storytelling beats; everything, top to bottom. There are long stretches after the first 2 hours of TLOU I can anticipate because the game's so well balanced. Core mechanics and storytelling in harmony, bouncing back and forth, a fine juggling act of varying highs and lows. UC4 has so much dead air in comparison.

I've learned it's best not to hope

• they had druckmann and straley who showed they knew what's good with uc2
  • they had examples of what worked with 2 and what didn't with 3
  • the gameplay was so refined. the arenas were dope. the truck chase was peak fully-playable setpiece action
  • the elevator shootout showed the potential for unique encounter design

"let's make them climb."

Spring, no (; _ ;)

Let's pick this back up in August to see just how much they can break my spirit.

I'm kinda stuck in the midst of Uncharted 2. I have played Uncharted 3 in the past until the desert section and i'm not really interested in doing it again but i'm feeling forced due to the heavy story on the 4.

In short: I want to play the 4, do i need to get going and finish 2 and 3 or i'm fine ?

Thanks

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm kinda stuck in the midst of Uncharted 2. I have played Uncharted 3 in the past until the desert section and i'm not really interested in doing it again but i'm feeling forced due to the heavy story on the 4.

In short: I want to play the 4, do i need to get going and finish 2 and 3

Yeah and yeah.

I mean, if you're that worn out, you can just default to YouTube cutscenes. U2 is the fucking GOAT tho.

In short: I want to play the 4, do i need to get going and finish 2 and 3 or i'm fine ?

Thanks

No and no. just look up the stories for each.

you're probably better off not playing 2 if you still want to play 4, actually

Yeah, it's got some pretty spectacular set pieces, that's for sure. There is a certain chase sequence that really is pure wizardry on ND's part.

Yeah i loved that bit..but in all honesty the bad guys were fucking idiots and if they were half switched on we could of had a game that was 3 or or 4 chapters shorter...game just drags after a while

Great opening and brilliant ending but in between i suspect serves as nothing more than dlc bait.

Thanks

I think it's best to play 2 and 3 first.

Nozem

These posts right here are essentially me. 1/4th of my HDD is just screenshots, for example I have 43gigs of screen for Paragon lol. I have a hard time finishing games due to photomodes, it's sad but worth it. Can be the shittiest game of all time but if it has amazing graphics and a photomode the rest doesn't matter lol.

It's only sad if you're not enjoying it. If you're having a good time spending hours in photomode, then mission accomplished!

Skyr

As someone with a high end PC I'm still in awe what kind of graphics they can push with this game.

Naughty Dog are true wizards. I can't wait for Last of Us Part 2. My PS4 pro is rdy.

Jacknapes

If there's anything to say, it's better late than never with Uncharted 4. You're in for a treat, and it gets better as you progress.

If there's anything to say, it's better late than never with Uncharted 4. You're in for a treat, and it gets better as you progress.

Uncharted 4 easily has the best ending area/combat stretch in the series. Even Uncharted 2 kinda fucked up in that regards devolving into essentially funneling you down a corridor against waves and waves of enemies. The massive
ship graveyard encounter culminating in the setpieces against the armored car
was a suitably epic way to close out the combat portion of A Thief's End.

Where pacing is concerned, this game is an absolute masterclass that is far ahead of its time where games are concerned. Come back in 10 years and you'll be blown away by this game.

Lol, the pacing is terrible. I barely managed to finish this chore of a game. In 10 years when the graphics are no longer notable U4 will have basically nothing going for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Uncharted 4 easily has the best ending area/combat stretch in the series. Even Uncharted 2 kinda fucked up in that regards devolving into essentially funneling you down a corridor against waves and waves of enemies. The massive
ship graveyard encounter culminating in the setpieces against the armored car
was a suitably epic way to close out the combat portion of A Thief's End.

Yea I love how the game didn't
end soon after the big action setpiece. That traversal section afterwards is probably my favourite part of the game. That mountain loomed large throughout the entire second half of the game, I was getting goosebumps as I got closer to it. I actually really liked the final fight as well,
though I am assuming plenty don't.

Spinluck

Thanks

YouTube them.

Can't say I'd find the games fun if I were to go back and play them today. Just telling you what I'd do.

Uncharted 4 is amazing. Pacing is a little slow but once it gets going, wow.

Gameplay and gunplay is also very good, love the stealth sections too. The game is just a blast to play !

My big downside is the story which i wanted to end differently and Sam as a character didn't add a lot imo but other than that, it's Uncharted at its best.

Glad you enjoyed this great game OP.

Yea I love how the game didn't
end soon after the big action setpiece. That traversal section afterwards is probably my favourite part of the game. That mountain loomed large throughout the entire second half of the game, I was getting goosebumps as I got closer to it. I actually really liked the final fight as well,
though I am assuming plenty don't.

I liked the final boss as well. It seemed like a good marriage of personal/cinematic uniqueness while still giving you a good level of control (and the animations and boss shit-talking were next level). The final mountain climb was pretty cool too, though it made me wish there was more platforming on that level of chaining jumps and slides together in the rest of the game.

Lady Gaia

It seems people either admire the pacing and structure of UC4 or they find the bits where you aren't actively shooting something tedious. I've played it twice and was even more engaged the second time thought, but I'm largely here for story and character. So for me It's a phenomenal showpiece of long-form storytelling with pitch perfect pacing.

If anything, I found the climbing and exploration a welcome relief from the tedious bits where you have to shoot people. Stealth is what saved the encounter design for me in this game, though I have to admit the encounters were all incredibly creative and varied. I just dreaded the elevator and near-endgame beach encounters the second time around because stealth is not a viable strategy.

Ricky_R

You should do so. I'm curious about people's experience replaying this game, because it falls into the "liked the first playthrough, but replays are torture" category for me.

I've played it 3 times so far and I enjoyed everything* about the second and third playthroughs more than the first.

*By the third, the climbing did get a bit tiresome, but I still love those downtime moments that ND provide and I enjoy the banter a lot so I don't mind.

JP

I know that everybody has their own opinions about what an Uncharted game should be but I've absolutely loved each of them.

I know the first game gets a lot of criticism on here but when it first released I was absolutely amazed by it when I played it and I completed it many times on the PlaySttaion 3. I've had exactly the same experience with each of the games in the series and when the Nathan Drake Collection was released I went back and started again and I enjoyed them all as much as I did on the PlayStation 3 and I completed each of the games several times again.

I really enjoy that the tone of the games have changed through the series whilst still remaining true to each other and I feel like the games almost grew up a little as each one was released, each one felt a little more mature than the previous one and that has worked really well for me.

I know that some people also have issues with the third game but it was an absolute joy for me to complete. Each game has been my favourite until I played the next in line but then that all gets messed up again when I go back to earlier games. I really can't pick a favourite because it tends to be the one that I'm playing at the time.

I did buy the Digital Deluxe edition so I am just waiting for The Lost Legacy to turn up and I really do hope that. OP, I really do hope that you get the same sense of wonder that I had playing through this and that you consider The Lost Legacy too as it can't see it being anything but enjoyable and Naughty Dog are saying that it's about as big as the first game.

Top Bottom