• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wonder Woman (Spoilers) - My Goddess

Heh. I thought it was an absolute highlight of the film. Intensely emotional moment, visually gorgeous, interesting stuff happening with the story (Diane unleasing her full powers in an uncontrolled fit of rage and it's scary as hell). I have some quibbles with the 3rd act, but I love how the Ares fight plays out. Great, layered story telling going on throughout it.

Hah. Amazing how similar our views on this film are.

You buying it when it releases?

MY1iLAe.jpg

Most overrated film I had the pleasure of watching this year. BY NO MEANS IS IT A BAD FILM, but holy hell people position it as the second coming -- its as average as can get. There are aspects I enjoyed (fish out of water, relationship/banter between the leads) but nah, Gal Gadot couldn't have carried this film herself (I know, no one is saying she could but I'll be damned if Chris Pine didn't save this film). I didn't find her performance to be as great as it could of been had it been a more capable actress. The villains were forgettable as always and the third act... yeah.

It followed the same oh-hum superhero movie formula that were all use to, yet it gets a pass for many, various reasons. Its a decent flick and as the first major female led superhero film, it was refreshing to some degree.

Other than that. Eh, definitely not one of the best film I've seen this year.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wonder Woman and Logan are the best movies of the year.

Gal Gadot proved the haters proved, how embarrassed they must be now.

Probably not embarrassed. They will just critique the movie ever more harshly to justify their prediction that it will fail. Some of the posts I see here and other places from these folks try to make it sounds like all the people who liked it were delusional, and the movie was so average, that Gadot's acting was terrible, etc.

It's very easy to be the 'edgy' dude who just hates on everything. Most people with an open mind to the film enjoyed it a lot but those who predicted it will do terribly will stick to their guns that it's "average to poor" (just like they said it would be) and that the rest of the world doesn't know good movies. ;)

HotHamBoy

Sounds like you really enjoyed this mediocre film, OP.

The reason you didn't see the Ares twist coming is because it's totally bullshit with no set-up.

Logan is a much better movie than Wonder Woman.

Get Out is a better movie than Logan.

So... no.

Also, I really enjoy seeing superhero films for what they are but I don't think I would ever seriously consider one to be Best Film Of The Year when considering the breadth of films released across the world all year long.

Best big budget Hollywood blockbuster? Okay, maybe.

The extent to which the movie just re-skins Captain America 1 is bananas.

A handsome man named Chris plays a man named Steve who sacrifices himself to destroy a superweapon-carrying quasi-Nazi plane.

WW really didn't need to kill that church, either. Superheroes gotta get their collateral damage in check.

Yeh the end was a mess. Tried to make this whole thing about how evil is in the hearts of men and there's no monster you can slay to end war and whatever. But then WW slays a monster and immediately ends a war and here's all these villainous Germans just giving up the fight right there on the tarmac.

I take it you're not familiar with Wonder Woman's origin at all? It has always been fighting Ares in World War 2, and they made it 1 for the film and it worked even better.

If you think Diana slaying Ares ended the war magically then you weren't paying attention. Ares explained in his own monologue that he only influenced men's hearts. They chose to wage war. And if you were a German that just watched 2 gods fight, you aren't going to surrender to the one that won?

Well you wouldn't live long enough to regret surrendering at least.

Sounds like you really enjoyed this mediocre film, OP.

Logan is a much better movie than Wonder Woman.

Get Out is a better movie than Logan.

So... no.

Also, I really enjoy seeing superhero films for what they are but I don't think I would ever seriously consider one to be Best Film Of The Year when considering the breadth of films released across the world all year long.

Best big budget Hollywood blockbuster? Okay, maybe.

So you think your opinions are facts and like to shit on other people's opinions?

You must be a blast to hang out with.

What's cute is you're objectively wrong trying to call it a mediocre film because by any review or critic aggregate it's not.

Probably not embarrassed. They will just critique the movie ever more harshly to justify their prediction that it will fail. Some of the posts I see here and other places from these folks try to make it sounds like all the people who liked it were delusional, and the movie was so average, that Gadot's acting was terrible, etc.

It's very easy to be the 'edgy' dude who just hates on everything. Most people with an open mind to the film enjoyed it a lot but those who predicted it will do terribly will stick to their guns that it's "average to poor" (just like they said it would be) and that the rest of the world doesn't know good movies. ;)

LOL yep

TheRed

It is a top tier superhero film, very close to favorite. Saw it 3 times in theaters, any complaints people have are so small I'm just appreciative of all the things this movie did right, it's a damn miracle for the DC Universe movies.

Geist-

I really like the movie, but Christ, people are making it out like it's the greatest superhero film to grace the silver screen.

First great DC films in years. It kicked really-ass, and Wonder Woman was an inspiring superhero, which is what the DC films should really focus-on. Plus the action was pretty good.

I really like the movie, but Christ, people are making it out like it's the greatest superhero film to grace the silver screen.

Either that, or people are just taking a moment to articulate why they liked it so much.

Is it entirely impossible that for some people it IS the greatest superhero film they've ever seen? If not, why not?

Keep in mind that this film is, to many, more than just a movie. Female superhero representation was long overdue, and the movie delivered a great female superhero. People are excited about that and many other things in the film.

TyrantII

Plus is was just a pretty damn good movie.

There's nitpicks to be had here or there, but what a fun ride in a climate where everything just feels so sterile.

Hell, ill get shit for this. But I didn't really like GoTG2. It had none of the charm of the first film which I loved, and it just didn't flow well for me. It was just, watchable.

HotHamBoy

What's cute is you're objectively wrong trying to call it a mediocre film because by any review or critic aggregate it's not.

Nope.

76 on Metacritic. That's a C+.

92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

100/100 C-Grade reviews will get you 100% on RT because it only goes by positive/negative. That lines up with the Metascore.

Compare that to say, Dunkirk, which has a 93% on RT and a 94 on Metacritic.

So it was an agreeable movie, not an awful one. A C+ movie.

Middling 1st act, strong 2nd act, bad 3rd act. C+ average.

The action scenes are seriously awful and it's an action movie so that's a big negative.

And yes, I am a blast to hang out with.

Nope.

76 on Metacritic. That's a C+.

92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

100/100 C-Grade reviews will get you 100% on RT because it only goes by positive/negative. That lines up with the Metascore.

Compare that to say, Dunkirk, which has a 93% on RT and a 94 on Metacritic.

So it was an agreeable movie, not an awful one. A C+ movie.

Middling 1st act, strong 2nd act, bad third act. C+ average.

The action scenes are seriously awful and it's an action movie so that's a big negative.

And yes, I am a blast to hang out with.

No a 76 on metacritic is not a C because you say so.

Reviews for movies that are broken down into numbers are nowhere near as meaningful in reviews that actually use words to convey the reviewers thoughts.

If someone gives a movie a 3 out of 5, or a 60%, I want to know WHY. Numbers tell you less than you would expect, because in our lives numbers seem to be the most accurate thing we have. But not when judging an entertainment property.

You could have two people who liked the movie exactly the same as each other and for the exact same reasons, and disliked the same things equally. Will they come up with the same 'numbers'? Nope. Never.

People don't know how to transcribe their emotions into spreadsheets. We just aren't built for that. RT, for me, is a more useful review platform as a movie lover.

When a movie gets 92% on RT, it tells me that 9.2 people out of 10 suggest that I go see this movie. So that gets my attention to read the reviews and hear why. Similarly if a movie gets 20% on RT, that tells me that only 1 in 5 recommend going. Again, I read the reviews to see the reasoning.

I've seen people rave about movies and then say they give it 7 out of 10, and then someone else say it was just 'good' and give it 8 out of 10.

Metacritic is just an aggregate of people giving out numbers with no reason or consistency, and no actual reasonable methodology for transcribing their feelings into a number. The written reviews are by far more meaningful than a number.

I'm going by how teachers grade papers.

That's a load of bullshit and you know it.

We are using a 0-100 scale, Metacritic is known for that. Above average is anything above a 60. Average and/or "mediocre" is 40-60 range. Wonder Woman far exceeds that.

At absolute minimum it is an "above average" film, no matter how badly you want to apply bogus grading systems to justify your hyperbole.

GhaleonEB

I'm going by how teachers grade papers.

You are applying a standard Metacritc themselves don't apply.

The WW score means, "Generally favorable reviews", which contradicts your argument. Not "C+".

I hate Metacritic, but that's their scale. You can't convert it to something else for the sake of argument.

LosDaddie

Banned
Best DCEU movie yet, with the added novelty of being the first female superhero movie in the connected-movie universe we live in.

Overall, I'd rank the movie in the Top 10 of CBMs. Solid origin movie (because they are still needed for most heroes) with a likeable hero. It didn't set a new standard for CBMs, but it didn't need to.

I'm just hope WB realizes that Wondy's BO performance means they should push her as their female icon over Harley.

Best DCEU movie yet, with the added novelty of being the first female superhero movie in the connected-movie universe we live in.

Overall, I'd rank the movie in the Top 10 of CBMs. Solid origin movie (because they are still needed for most heroes) with a likeable hero. It didn't set a new standard for CBMs, but it didn't need to.

I'm just hope WB realizes that Wondy's BO performance means they should push her as their female icon over Harley.

Thankfully it looks like they're doing more than that; it seems Diana is the new de-facto leader of the Justice League from what I can tell. Seems like they're backing off pushing Batman so hard.

Diana replacing Harley is a foregone conclusion after WW beat the doors off Suicide Squad. Harley will still have a lot of push behind her, though.

I don't think there is ANY doubt going forward that Diana is their primary female icon. Harley may be popular with the 'edgy' audience, but to a superhero audience in general Diana is going to have the broader and more relatable appeal.

Besides, Diana is a superhero, Harley is a villain (in spite of what Suicide Squad was all about).

Thankfully it looks like they're doing more than that; it seems Diana is the new de-facto leader of the Justice League from what I can tell. Seems like they're backing off pushing Batman so hard.

Diana replacing Harley is a foregone conclusion after WW beat the doors off Suicide Squad. Harley will still have a lot of push behind her, though.

Hard to know from the JL trailer, but I'm thinking that Bats and Wondy are going to be co-leaders, there won't be just the one.

In BvS it was Bruce that approached Diana with the idea of gathering together 'people like her' to form the league. It was his idea, and the trailers pretty much show Bruce doing the recruiting. I don't think they are going to pull the leadership rug out from him entirely.

I enjoyed it a lot too. Gal played the fish out of water really well and I appreciate the combat scenes had good follow-through without too many fast cuts.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

It wasn't the best superhero movie ever, but it was certainly up there with the very best of them. By far the best DC superhero movie made in the past few decades. I think it's how surprisingly fantastic it was that really caught people off guard and that is generating hype levels to greater than normal levels. Deservedly so though in my opinion. Wonder Woman was an outstanding comic book movie, and it deserves all of the praise and success it is getting.

Aske

Either that, or people are just taking a moment to articulate why they liked it so much.

Is it entirely impossible that for some people it IS the greatest superhero film they've ever seen? If not, why not?

Keep in mind that this film is, to many, more than just a movie. Female superhero representation was long overdue, and the movie delivered a great female superhero. People are excited about that and many other things in the film.

As an enpenised cisgender maleman who only cares about boners and spikey guitars and adolescent power fantasies, Wonder Woman is totally just another superhero movie to me. But not only is it by far my favourite superhero movie, it's up there with my very favourite movies, period.

I don't remember the last time I counted down the days until the home release of a film I'd already seen like I'm doing right now. I saw the movie twice at the theatre, but find myself regularly wishing I was watching it again. The fact that it's still not September 19th is salty bullshit; I want my 4K BD steelbook.

I was also one of the people who had no confidence that Gadot would do the role justice based on her previous work. Reading interviews, I think I had the same feelings as Patty Jenkins, who was surprised and irritated to be totally left out of the casting process. She sounds like she was incredibly sceptical of Gadot on paper, and didn't warm up to her until they met. I think she was the right person, but likely cast for the wrong reasons. Regardless, I was happy to be proven wrong about her when BvS was dolloped wetly into theatres; I just didn't notice the crow I was eating due to the sour taste left by the rest of the movie.

I'm incredibly impressed by Woman Woman as a piece of cinema, especially reading various stories about how it was made, and the battles Jenkins had with the studio execs. She didn't just have to be a competent director, it sounds like she had to be a bulldog much of the time as well. I couldn't be more glad that she made the movie she wanted to without compromise, because as far as I'm concerned, she nailed it in every respect.

As an enpenised cisgender maleman who only cares about boners and spikey guitars and adolescent power fantasies, Wonder Woman is totally just another superhero movie to me. But not only is it by far my favourite superhero movie, it's up there with my very favourite movies, period.

I don't remember the last time I counted down the days until the home release of a film I'd already seen like I'm doing right now. I saw the movie twice at the theatre, but find myself regularly wishing I was watching it again. The fact that it's still not September 19th is salty bullshit; I want my 4K BD steelbook.

I was also one of the people who had no confidence that Gadot would do the role justice based on her previous work. Reading interviews, I think I had the same feelings as Patty Jenkins, who was surprised and irritated to be totally left out of the casting process. She sounds like she was incredibly sceptical of Gadot on paper, and didn't warm up to her until they met. I think she was the right person, but likely cast for the wrong reasons. Regardless, I was happy to be proven wrong about her when BvS was dolloped wetly into theatres; I just didn't notice the crow I was eating due to the sour taste left by the rest of the movie.

I'm incredibly impressed by Woman Woman as a piece of cinema, especially reading various stories about how it was made, and the battles Jenkins had with the studio execs. She didn't just have to be a competent director, it sounds like she had to be a bulldog much of the time as well. I couldn't be more glad that she made the movie she wanted to without compromise, because as far as I'm concerned, she nailed it in every respect.

Nicely said, all around.

To your initial point: I think that even the type of male your describe yourself as can take some joy in the idea that a female superhero (overdue) was finally delivered upon. You don't have to be female OR a feminist to appreciate that.

The negative forecast about Gal and her acting, and the stories that were dripping out "Wonder Woman is a mess" may have actually helped the film in the long run. If expectations are set low and people are blown away in a positive way, that certainly is a good feeling. I do feel that Gal enjoyed the 'Ledger' factor.

When Heath landed the role of the Joker in DK, doom and gloom was predicted. He shocked us all with an amazing take on the Joker. Gal, I think, has done the same here. She's made it her own. She definitely had help from a great supporting cast, especially Pine.

She will grow into the character even more over time, and learn what works best and what doesn't. I'm hoping to see her do her thing in several movies.

And yeah, waiting for the movie to be released on digital/physical is a bit of a bummer.

Astral Dog

New Harley is horrible i feel like she even fails as a villain

JB1981

Nicely said, all around.

To your initial point: I think that even the type of male your describe yourself as can take some joy in the idea that a female superhero (overdue) was finally delivered upon. You don't have to be female OR a feminist to appreciate that.

The negative forecast about Gal and her acting, and the stories that were dripping out "Wonder Woman is a mess" may have actually helped the film in the long run. If expectations are set low and people are blown away in a positive way, that certainly is a good feeling. I do feel that Gal enjoyed the 'Ledger' factor.

When Heath landed the role of the Joker in DK, doom and gloom was predicted. He shocked us all with an amazing take on the Joker. Gal, I think, has done the same here. She's made it her own. She definitely had help from a great supporting cast, especially Pine.

She will grow into the character even more over time, and learn what works best and what doesn't. I'm hoping to see her do her thing in several movies.

And yeah, waiting for the movie to be released on digital/physical is a bit of a bummer.

Vudu has this new program where you can buy the digital version early and Walmart will ship you the disc when it's available for release. It makes the wait easier and Vudu HD is actually quite good

Aske

Nicely said, all around.

So true. And in fairness, I do identify as a feminist; but my feminism is totally secondary to my love of watching WW blow up that sniper nest like a goddamn wrecking ball.

Vudu has this new program where you can buy the digital version early and Walmart will ship you the disc when it's available for release. It makes the wait easier and Vudu HD is actually quite good

Screw that! Half the point of buying the disc in the first place is to elevate one's nose and melodramatically ignore digital versions of the movie in the manner of a British aristocrat; ideally with an audible "Harumph!" to punctuated the distain.

Lol I feel pretty much the same way. Perfect summary of how the film affected me. It has an impact to it that I have not found in any other films outside the TDK trilogy... and its moments held in my mind longer than those films did.

I got my collector's edition of the blu-ray pre-ordered, gonna have to grab the 4k as well I think.

Hard to know from the JL trailer, but I'm thinking that Bats and Wondy are going to be co-leaders, there won't be just the one.

In BvS it was Bruce that approached Diana with the idea of gathering together 'people like her' to form the league. It was his idea, and the trailers pretty much show Bruce doing the recruiting. I don't think they are going to pull the leadership rug out from him entirely.

Yea I meant to say Diana seems like the General and Batman the President, if that makes sense. He's like the organizer/recruiter and she's the leader in battle, I think. Who knows how it will turn out but I have a feeling that's the road Whedon will take it.

Lol I feel pretty much the same way. Perfect summary of how the film affected me. It has an impact to it that I have not found in any other films outside the TDK trilogy... and its moments held in my mind longer than those films did.

I got my collector's edition of the blu-ray pre-ordered, gonna have to grab the 4k as well I think.

Yea I meant to say Diana seems like the General and Batman the President, if that makes sense. He's like the organizer/recruiter and she's the leader in battle, I think. Who knows how it will turn out but I have a feeling that's the road Whedon will take it.

There's a collectors edition of the blu ray? Hmm. Why didn't I notice this?

Too busy setting up tours to Themyscira, I guess. :)

edit: ah ok, the one that comes with the figure. Gonna go for the 3D blu. Don't really care for the figure. heh

Aske

There's a collectors edition of the blu ray? Hmm. Why didn't I notice this?

Too busy setting up tours to Themyscira, I guess. :)

edit: ah ok, the one that comes with the figure. Gonna go for the 3D blu. Don't really care for the figure. heh

There are a lot of nice figures and statues coming out separately if they're your thing, too. The ARTFX one is sweet. But I'm kind of relieved that the face on the life-sized foam and latex Wonder Woman that genuinely exists looks kind of funky, because otherwise I might accidentally find myself with a thousand-dollar collectable that both sporadically terrifies me, and repels potential sex partners of all genders for the rest of my life.

There are a lot of nice figures and statues coming out separately if they're your thing, too. The ARTFX one is sweet. But I'm kind of relieved that the face on the life-sized foam and latex Wonder Woman that genuinely exists looks kind of funky, because otherwise I might accidentally find myself with a thousand-dollar collectable that both sporadically terrifies me, and repels potential sex partners of all genders for the rest of my life.

That's pretty impressive. The only thing they kinda messed up was the hairline...it goes way too far back and makes it look receeding, over the top of her forehead. Very odd thing to get wrong.

The sideshow stuff usually doesn't disappoint, and they have several different ones at different price points/sizes. The only one that is odd is the action figure. The joints are bloody massive.

Still sideshow does some good stuff. I'm not in a disposable income position for that sort of thing these days.

HotHamBoy

Well, that's the scene where the point of the entire movie, WW's full reveal of her powers, and her turn down the 'right' path was established. It was a pretty vital scene and essential to bring closure to her origin story.

They could have written it completely differently and made it good but instead they wrote it the way they did and made it bad.

I see we are in the stage of the movie's lifecycle where all the people that didn't like the movie as much feel the need to fight against all the praise it's gotten.

The movie's not perfect, and it's not even my favorite superhero movie of the year (Logan) but it was damned good. I also really don't get the pacing complaints. Movie zipped along nicely.

Third act had some weaknesses (CGI fight) but also had that awesome resolution between Steve and Diana which more than made up for it.

I see we are in the stage of the movie's lifecycle where all the people that didn't like the movie as much feel the need to fight against all the praise it's gotten.

The movie's not perfect, and it's not even my favorite superhero movie of the year (Logan) but it was damned good. I also really don't get the pacing complaints. Movie zipped along nicely.

Third act had some weaknesses (CGI fight) but also had that awesome resolution between Steve and Diana which more than made up for it.

Yeah, that's going to happen. You do tend to see really odd arguments. The one that made me laugh recently was that fella who argued that Logan was a much better film (which is perfectly fine).

Then, in a later post he would use Metacritic as some sort of gold standard to judge how "average" WW is. Interesting since WW and Logan are exactly ONE point apart on Metacritic.

WW - 76
Logan - 77

For those that are 'rabid' fans of the movie (which I am)...

I only yesterday discovered the existence of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654624/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is an absolutely *gorgeous* freaking book. Huge, beautiful images. Tons of concept art, lots of set photography (not from movie stills, but actual set photography). It's a really, really beautiful book and I highly recommend it if you're a big fan.

There's also a cool little surprise in the back.
A sealed 'Wayne Enterprises' black envelope, which is sealed to the inside back cover. Inside is a very interesting approx 8x10 of the team war photo. It's an interesting item. It's not glass, but it's meant to mimick the original glass photograph from the film - made of an interesting plastic transparency type material. It's very, very cool.

The reviews on amazon are leaving this surprise unspoiled, so I've spoilerized it here.

Picked it up at a local bookstore today. It's pretty damn fab.

Top Bottom