• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles is EXCELLENT (Playthrough ongoing; please mark spoilers!)

Neiteio

I'm about 35 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles, around the 45-50% mark (location spoiler:
High Entia Tomb
). I wanted to wait until I finished the game before I did a LTTP, but since I'll be busy the next few days, and since I want to talk about the game right now, I figured I might as well go ahead and post my thoughts. Maybe it'll encourage someone else to check out Shulk's game before Smash Bros. arrives in the West next month.

Going into Xenoblade Chronicles, I knew the general consensus is it's the best JRPG of the last decade, one of the best JRPGs of all time, and one of Nintendo's best games. High praise all around, with a 92/100 on Metacritic.

And so far, the praise is VERY well-deserved.

I must've been "really feeling" Shulk's reveal trailer for Smash Bros., because it compelled me to go out and buy the Wii game rather than waiting for the N3DS remake. I got it pre-owned from Gamestop for about $50, but it seems brand-new; I think they literally took the second printing of the game and simply removed the shrink-wrap. The disk, case, booklet, adverts and Club Nintendo flier are all in pristine condition.

Smash-GAF made me do it:

gaf-xbc9bs7o.jpg

PRESENTATION:

To my delight, this game looks AMAZING on a 47-inch HDTV. I'm playing through the WiiU's HDMI cable. Soft-looking title screen aside, I quickly forgot I was playing a standard-def game from last gen. The depiction of nature here is so verdant and lush, from steamy prehistoric jungles and coastal regions with golden grass and pink coral, to marshlands that glow with a haunting bioluminescence at night. When you emerge from the narrow canyon on the Bionis Leg and behold Gaur Plains for the first time, with its incredible draw distance spanning the horizon and its jagged foothills rising skyward, it's overwhelming in scope, transporting me back to when I was in sixth-grade and entered OoT's Hyrule Field for the first time. Only unlike that game, there's plenty to see and do in this vast grassland, and it's merely one of many massive locations in the game. The scale is simply enormous. The game is set on the bodies of two corpse gods locked in combat, after all! Trust me, I've played other huge and deeply immersive games -- the game I finished prior to this was GTAV, which I had backlogged while I replaced my PS3 -- and while I'm sure this is technically smaller, it sure doesn't seem that way, and a lot of that has to do with immersion.

These landscapes are also teeming with life, a veritable Jurassic Park's worth of creatures. You come across new creatures at every turn, including absolutely massive ones many times your level. It's almost unfathomable that you could ever defeat such creatures, early on in the game, which just goes to show how much you have to grow. And the creature design is impeccable, especially your main foe, the Mechon, with their angular silhouettes and black-and-gold motifs. So many encounters had me saying, "That's awesome."

Another thing that really impressed me about the presentation is the writing, voice acting and cutscene direction. All are top-notch. I'd put this right up there with Kid Icarus Uprising as one of Nintendo's best where storytelling and characterization are concerned. Shulk is a genuinely likeable protagonist who never comes across as whiny or self-pitying. And the friendship he has with Reyn, Dunban and the others is very real and authentic. These are people who trust each other and love each other deeply. They feel like family, and their emotions are always on point. It feels... natural. I grew really tense during some scenes, and laughed out loud at others. If there is a moment that falls flat, I don't remember it, or I haven't seen it yet. Superbly entertaining so far.

PACING:

So we have this huge world, full of breathtaking vistas and incredible creatures. It's a massive adventure, where I hear it's common to log 100+ hours, and that's before you get to New Game Plus.

These days, I'm very busy and find long games daunting. Thankfully, this game moves along at a quick pace. You have a marker telling you which way to go, and a mini-map that tracks your position and time of day. Individual HUD elements can be toggled on/off, as you wish. You can fast-travel, warping to any landmark you've discovered at any time. You can check a log to see when certain NPCs are active (the game has a system like the Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask, where NPCs run on a schedule), and you can adjust the in-game clock to skip to that time and meet that character. You can accept many side-quests, all optional. Most have nice but unnecessary rewards (I.E. gold). These side-quests are recorded in your log, and when you complete them, you usually receive the reward right away -- no need to return to the NPC who gave the quest. You also heal automatically after battle, so no worries about visiting an inn or stockpiling healing items. Your characters all level up together, too, regardless of whether they participated in battle. Everyone earns EXP, Art Points (used to level up abilities), and Skill Points (used to unlock passive bonuses), so everyone in your party is always viable.

All of this is super-convenient. It encourages you to experiment with the many systems in place. You can directly control any member in your party. You can also choose another two members to follow you in the field and fight alongside you in battle, which are all real-time, and seamlessly integrated with no transitions. By performing certain feats, you deepen the Affinity between your active characters, which allows you to perform Skill Links that share passive bonuses between two characters on the Skill Tree. Affinity also allows two characters to have special conversations at certain points on the map marked with a handshake icon, and to perform ever-increasing Chain Attacks where everyone attacks together. And since everyone in your party is always around the same level, it's easy to try out new characters in combat and on the field. And that's great, because all of the characters are wonderful. :)

GAMEPLAY LOOP:

Exploration, combat and optimization are at the core of the game. You explore to discover new landmarks, which earn you EXP and allow for fast travel. Along the way, you find many items in the field, which you'll want to horde rather than sell, since so many of them will automatically complete side-quests (I.E. "find me X of this or Y of that"). You encounter new creatures at every turn, which you can lock onto to see their name and level. You can then attack them by walking within range. In addition, you can lure enemies from afar so you can fight them one at a time, similar to how you handle clusters of tough enemies in Dark Souls.

And you'll want to attack everything you see, since the combat in this game is so fun and rewarding. Once you've locked onto an enemy, you auto-attack by pushing toward them. You also have Arts -- abilities available in a series of icons along the bottom of the screen. Arts can take the form of physical attacks, ether attacks (magic), spells that heal and enhance, and other moves, I.E. increasing an enemy's agro, etc. Every time you use an Art, there is a recharge period before you can use it again. By investing AP to level up an Art, you can reduce its recharge period and increase its power.

Some moves are context-sensitive, dealing more damage from the side or behind, so you'll have to circle-strafe around the enemy while it's distracted by your allies. Other moves inflict Break, at which point the enemy can be briefly incapacitated by a move that inflicts Topple, and then further incapacitated by a move that inflicts Daze, in that order, giving you the opportunity to get in more hits.

You can fight multiple enemies at once, switching between targets and telling your partners where to focus their efforts. New enemies join the fray if they're alerted to your presence. Once defeated, each enemy drops a chest full of loot. This can include crystals, which can also be mined from ether deposits throughout the world. These crystals, in turn, can be forged into gems that can be slotted into holes on your armor and weapons, powering up your character.

Along with mixing and matching new equipment, leveling up your Arts and Skills, linking Skills between characters on the Skill Tree, and buying books to increase the number of times you can level up your Arts, the game offers character growth that's easy to follow and continually rewarding.

Altogether, the gameplay loop of exploration, combat and optimization creates a satisfying rhythm of multitasking, where you always feel like you're making meaningful progress, whether it's the overall story, the myriad side-quests, or your party's overall power. I haven't even touched on all of the systems -- for example, you can also improve Affinity with NPCs, leading to new trades and new quests -- but the loop I described is what makes the game so addictive. And rest assured, everything is well-explained in succinct and clearly illustrated tutorials you can revisit at any time.

OVERALL EFFECT:

Man, this game really hits the spot. Again, I was initially daunted by 1) the alleged length of the game, said to exceed 100 hours, and 2) the fact it's a last-gen Wii game and I'd be playing on an HDTV. But like I said, it looks and sounds fantastic via the WiiU's HDMI cable. And the pacing so far is impeccable, so that there hasn't been a dull moment. The game effortlessly walks a fine line, where the world is huge but navigable, where you can pursue dozens of quests at a time but you naturally complete many of them simply by venturing off the beaten path while following the main story. You're always making progress, you're always growing stronger, you're always discovering new strategies, you're always seeing new places and new creatures and new characters.

And there's nothing jaded or cynical about this game. It truly feels like you're going on an adventure with friends. If that's the appeal of a JRPG, this game has it in spades. And I can't wait to dive back in at the next available opportunity. :)

brinstar

I'm playing through this at the moment too. I'm a little further than you, (but somehow at the same playtime) and man... there's some twists coming, get ready!

One of my favorite games of all time, which I'm currently replaying. Just a warning though, the pacing becomes a bit worse a bit after where you currently are. Also, you're 50% guess is optimistic, I'd say High Entia tomb is 35-40% max

I started a playthrough recently but it's really not clicking for me yet. I'm having tons of issues with the AI; I either have to play the healer to ensure heals are going off and my tank will lose aggro, or I play as the tank and hold aggro a little better and my healer never heals anyone. And in the end, I just want to play shulk and cut shit with the monado :(

Other than that the game seems pretty good, even if some cutscenes drag on too long. Music's incredible and I enjoy the combat systems and open world areas.

I just don't get the praise for the game, honestly. I really wanted to like it too. It's repetitive with a poor story, dialogue, and voice acting. I got about 10 hours in and just couldn't bring myself to play any more and ended up returning it to the friend from whom I borrowed it. It's actually among my least favorite JRPGs that I've played.

RPGCrazied

Yep. Going through the game again myself for a 2nd time, at Eryth Sea currently. Love everything about this game, I wish Heart-to-Hearts were voiced, but can't have everything. I'm always so tempted to buy the soundtrack for this game, such epic music.

Started this a couple weeks ago and stopped, got to where
That kid in the buggy goes off on his own to his colony and you have to find him
and I'm not really feeling it yet. I mean its good but not good enough for me to spend 80 more hours on it good. I don't know, does it change a lot? I'm really having trouble getting into any jrpgs that use a turn based system or just even strategy based ones like this. I just can't stay interested. I'm even having trouble staying interested playing Pokemon.

Shulk's SSB reveal renewed my interest in this game too. I had started it months ago but got distracted by other games. I'm about 60 hours in now. Yeah, it's really good. I find the SD graphics charming. I feel like I'm playing an old PlayStation or PS2 RPG, and that's a good thing.

Neiteio

I started a playthrough recently but it's really not clicking for me yet. I'm having tons of issues with the AI; I either have to play the healer to ensure heals are going off and my tank will lose aggro, or I play as the tank and hold aggro a little better and my healer never heals anyone. And in the end, I just want to play shulk and cut shit with the monado :(
Shulk is versatile enough to carry me through most situations with relative ease. You can cast Light Heal to replenish your own HP or that of your allies. Simply do that whenever Light Heal recharges, and when dealing with especially tough enemies, use the Monado's Shield or Speed arts to improve your team's durability or evasion, respectively. Remember you can recharge your Monado Arts more quickly by auto-attacking. Also remember to use Shulk's Shadow Eye to minimize enemy agro. And of course, don't forget to level up your individual Arts, both for the character you control and your allies in battle. :)

I've never played it. After FFXIII, I thought I'd never play another JRPG because I figured I'd outgrown them. After hearing so many good things about Persona 4, though, I gave that a try and loved it. So I'm open to suggestions.

Here's my question: how long does it take Xenoblade to get going? I don't want to wait 10 hours or more for the game to be enjoyable. I will NOT play another FFXIII, where I think the game is decent (gameplay-wise, at least), but it takes 30-ish hours to get to the decent part.

awww you're cute (h/t fey)

the pacing is fine until the second half, honestly, when it becomes a problem

I would strongly suggest switching up your team every now and then; the game convinces a lot of players in the early tutorials that you need a healer, a tank, etc. and that's really not true. Playing around with team combos and switching your leader every now and then keeps the combat fresh and in some cases makes certain battles much more tolerable.

I started my second playthrough after the shulk trailer and I just discovered that the game has a reversable cover, I feel really stupid discovering this after owning the game for 3 years.

Hiltz

Other than that the game seems pretty good, even if some cutscenes drag on too long. Music's incredible and I enjoy the combat systems and open world areas.

Yeah, I personally took control of Sharla and occasionally switched over to Shulk for like the first two maps since she joins your party during my second play through. I was never a fan of using Reyne, but controlling Shulk made it easy to become the target of a monster's aggro. However, utilizing his Monado powers and light heal provides him with some versatile options that neither Reyne or Sharla can match.

Neiteio

I've never played it. After FFXIII, I thought I'd never play another JRPG because I figured I'd outgrown them. After hearing so many good things about Persona 4, though, I gave that a try and loved it. So I'm open to suggestions.

Here's my question: how long does it take Xenoblade to get going? I don't want to wait 10 hours or more for the game to be enjoyable. I will NOT play another FFXIII, where I think the game is decent (gameplay-wise, at least), but it takes 30-ish hours to get to the decent part.
The game opens with a really exciting prologue sequence that takes place a year before the game proper begins. You play as Dunban (the other human in Shulk's Final Smash), and you learn the basics of the game. There are some fun battles here, and tutorials that are succinct, well-written and clearly illustrated. It's all short, sweet, and to the point.

Then, it fast-forwards a year and you're playing as Shulk. If you follow the marker -- an arrow at the top of the screen, telling you where to go and how close you are -- you'll arrive at your next destination quickly. (You can turn off the arrow, if you wish, but it's nonintrusive and easy enough to ignore, so I leave it on.)

The first town, Colony 9, can be overwhelming at first, but its layout is actually quite simple. Talk to everyone during the day and night, and don't fret over the huge pile of quests you quickly accrue. They're all optional, their rewards are nothing groundbreaking, and you'll naturally complete many of them by simply following the story, battling the enemies you see and picking up the items lying in the field along the way.

Soon you'll have more characters, and you'll learn to use the Monado. Shit will hit the fan, several times in a row. And then the larger quest begins.

All told, it's very well-paced, IMO. It doesn't feel pretentious or self-serious like so many RPGs these days. It respects you intelligence and it respects your time, with fast-travel, the ability to freely adjust the clock, and more. And there's a lot of warmth and whimsy to the game. It's such a complete world. It really transports you to another place, figuratively speaking. :)

Just tits? Why this game is at least Tits and Ass!

Seriously though, you don't get a JRPG like xenoblade very often. I can't imagine X living up because now my standards are through the roof, whereas xenoblade blindsided me with its greatness, but dammit, I hope it can.

Shit will hit the fan, several times in a row. And then the larger quest begins.

And then shit proceeds to keep hitting the fan until the game is over. Something is always going on with the plot in xenoblade, (and we should all love it!)

Crayolan

I'm currently playing through too and I'm loving it. At around the 60 hour mark at this point. Unfortunately pacing is starting to drag and areas are getting a little too big for my tastes. You still have a ways to go before you reach the slower part though, so enjoy what's to come!

Try giving Reyn skills that focus on drawing Aggro and dishing out as much damage as possible. Then give Sharla as many healing skills as possible+break. For Shulk put lots of AP into Shadow Eye to help keep the aggro off him, and if necessary step away from the enemy you're fighting for a while so Reyn can draw the aggro. I played as Shulk almost exclusively until I got the next party member in the lineup (which you don't have yet) and I was fine save for one part where I had to grind a bit. Never had to grind since then though.

Rnr1224

im playing it at the moment as well and totally loving it. Everything is great so far and the story seems to get better the more I play. I'm only at the
Leone Telethia
but it is amazing so far!

These side-quests are recorded in your log, and when you complete them, you usually receive the reward right away -- no need to return to the NPC who gave the quest.

You probably only think that because you haven't found the surprisingly large percentage of the quests for which you actually DO need to return to the NPCs...

many of which are not where you originally found them, with no way of tracking them down outside of trial and error.

I'll put it this way: less than 10 minutes after I took over as Shulk, I decided I didn't feel like heading to town to progress the story just yet and went off on my own and was occupied for several hours just exploring/fighting all the unique monsters in the very first field area.

Yado

awww you're cute (h/t fey)

the pacing is fine until the second half, honestly, when it becomes a problem

I would strongly suggest switching up your team every now and then; the game convinces a lot of players in the early tutorials that you need a healer, a tank, etc. and that's really not true. Playing around with team combos and switching your leader every now and then keeps the combat fresh and in some cases makes certain battles much more tolerable.

I just got Melia and I'm trying to do this but it's daunting. :/

Azuran

Banned
Xenoblade is the only RPG where I didn't use the main character throughout the whole game. I kicked Shulk off my party forever as soon as I got both Melia and Riki with Dunban tanking like crazy.

Just tits? Why this game is at least Tits and Ass!

Seriously though, you don't get a JRPG like xenoblade very often. I can't imagine X living up because now my standards are through the roof, whereas xenoblade blindsided me with its greatness, but dammit, I hope it can.

And then shit proceeds to keep hitting the fan until the game is over. Something is always going on with the plot in xenoblade, (and we should all love it!)

Ironically, I was a lot more excited for X before I knew it was a Xenoblade sequel.

Neiteio

You probably only think that because you haven't found the surprisingly large percentage of the quests for which you actually DO need to return to the NPCs...

many of which are not where you originally found them, with no way of tracking them down outside of trial and error.
Oh, I've definitely seen my share of those. I've been very thorough, talking to everyone in each area during the day and night. But on the whole, most of the quests don't require you to do any extra legwork beyond killing X number of monsters or retrieving Y number of items. Sure, every now and then you need to bring back a lost keepsake or whatever, and once or twice I couldn't find the person so I checked a wiki to refresh my memory where they're located. But all in all, flyspecks on the dome of Sistine Chapel. ;-)

I just got Melia and I'm trying to do this but it's daunting. :/

Melia is confusing and the tutorials for her are *awful*. But she's so absurdly powerful she basically breaks the game if you're playing normally (i.e. not going for a super low-level playthrough).

She can also break & topple an enemy by herself, which is nuts.

Her AI is pretty awful, unfortunately; all the characters are obviously much more useful when you control them, but Melia especially.

lt519

Thanks OP I was waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting :)

I'm probably 75% through my file. Started two weekends ago and have put in about 15 hours each weekend. I'm loving everything about it even though I'm not stopping to smell the roses.

I heard it got too easy so I'm avoiding side quests and just going through the main story. My only complaint is the games reluctance to let you kill anything 5 levels higher. I've had to grind several levels just so I could hit some bosses which became a bit tedious.

Really a fantastic story and world they've built. I can't put it down.

Neiteio

Melia is confusing and the tutorials for her are *awful*. But she's so absurdly powerful she basically breaks the game if you're playing normally (i.e. not going for a super low-level playthrough).

Her AI is pretty awful, unfortunately; all the characters are obviously much more useful when you control them, but Melia especially.
Melia is also voiced by the Doctor's current traveling companion on Dr. Who:

tvnowawardsarrivalsfd3ckey.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Technically Melia can't Break, she can only topple. That makes her better actually at some topples.

Blasty

I really want to play this again, and I was going to, then a 3DS version was announced. This game truly is amazing.

Rutger

Banned
I got this game late last year after hearing great things about. I've played several games that didn't quite live up to the hype, but Xenoblade Chronicles managed to surpass my expectations.

I found the game enjoyable all around, the beautiful environments, engaging combat, and the fantastic music kept me from putting it down until I was done. I would have liked a little more from the story, but it was still enjoyable, as was the cast.

My biggest complaint would be how the side quests were handled. They could have cut down the number of them a little, but more importantly there should have been one place you could go to get all the quests at once. Running around these large environments looking for NPC to get quest, and the fact that many NPCs would only show up at certain times made things far more tedious than it should have been. Ultimately, I ignored most of them, and the fact that it's optional makes it a pretty minor issue imo.

I'm really glad I played Xenoblade, and I'm also happy to see Shulk represent the game in Smash 4.

Syril

On the other hand, Melia is amazing for chain attacks from the #2 slot. Since her talent art is almost always available as an attack because of how it works, she can guarantee at least a Chain x3 every time you do one.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have actually been re continuing my file of Xenoblade Chronicles and it took awhile to remember the mechanic of the game but I got there in the end. I currently need to craft more gems for my teams.

Also Japanese Voice acting >>>>>>>>>>>> lame British Acting.

Neiteio

I have actually been re continuing my file of Xenoblade Chronicles and it took awhile to remember the mechanic of the game but I got there in the end. I currently need to craft more gems for my teams.

I love the British voice acting! It's so refreshing. Adds a ton of charm. :)

CentroXer

Banned

and british >>>> american acting.

Mit-

The SSB reveal trailer actually convinced me to play this in Japanese whenever I get around to it.

Shulk sounded absolutely cringeworthy. If he's anything like that in XC I know I wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

Neiteio

The SSB reveal trailer actually convinced me to play this in Japanese whenever I get around to it.

Shulk sounded absolutely cringeworthy. If he's anything like that in XC I know I wouldn't be able to tolerate it.
He's a lot more subdued in the actual game. Seriously, look up the beginning of the game on YouTube, where you meet Shulk after the prologue. His voice acting is excellent in the game.

sublimit

Banned
I'm glad that more and more people are discovering this game.I wish there were more copies around at reasonable prices so even more people would try it.For me this game saved the face of console JRPGs last gen.

This reminds me I've started a third playthrough but never go too far. I think I need to address that problem. Fantastic game, glad you're liking it because it seems it just doesn't click for some people. I feel for them.

chadboban

Man, I'm so happy to see the person that has helped me purchase a lot of fantastic games enjoying a game that I truly love. Can't wait for your full impressions when you finally finish it man and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your time with this masterpiece.

Here's some of my favorite things environment wise in this game. Don't worry Neiteio, I won't spoil any locations past where you currently are. But I will mark them for anyone who hasn't played it as yet.

Saotrl Marsh's nighttime transformation.
You can actually see Colony 9's location all the way from Colony 6.
Meteorite showers at Eryth Sea
Realizing that the sky in Makna Forest wasn't actually the sky but was actually Eryth Sea right above you, hell you can even see the silhouette of Eryth's cliff, seriously amazed at how long it took me to realize that one.
The rainbows at Makna waterfalls
The view of the Mechonis upon exiting Tephra Cave
Mechonis' glowing red eyes during the nighttime
Seeing the Mechonis' looming silhouette during the lightning flashes in a thunderstorm.

There's so much more but honestly I'd be here forever if I continued on.

Neiteio

Man, I'm so happy to see the person that has helped me purchase a lot of fantastic games enjoying a game that I truly love. Can't wait for your full impressions when you finally finish it man and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your time with this masterpiece.

Here's some of my favorite things environment wise in this game. Don't worry Neiteio, I won't spoil any locations past where you currently are. But I will mark them for anyone who hasn't played it as yet.

Saotrl Marsh's nighttime transformation.
You can actually see Colony 9's location all the way from Colony 6.
Meteorite showers at Eryth Sea
Realizing that the sky in Makna Forest wasn't actually the sky but was actually Eryth Sea right above you, hell you can even see the silhouette of Eryth's cliff, seriously amazed at how long it took me to realize that one.
The rainbows at Makna waterfalls
[spoiler,The view of the Mechonis upon exiting Tephra Cave[/spoiler]
Mechonis' glowing red eyes during the nighttime
Seeing the Mechonis' looming silhouette during the lightning flashes in a thunderstorm.

There's so much more but honestly I'd be here forever if I continued on.
Thanks Chad. I'm loving this game so much. And I agree on all of those environmental details you mentioned. Definitely the coolest setting I know of in a JRPG.

I didn't know you could see
Colony 9
from
Colony 6
, though. That's amazing!!

Top Bottom