• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 5 (PS4 Remaster)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
yakuza-5-banner.jpg

Yakuza 5 is a combination of Yakuza 3 and 4, you’re running around completing side quests, incredible dialogue, hours of cutscenes, building strength and the bottom line Yakuza 5 is an amazing action brawler.

It’s been a year since I played Yakuza 4, the series is celebrated and people forget 4 and 5 had multiplayer characters and that’s dope.

ScholarlyDopeyBluemorphobutterfly-max-1mb.gif

It’s a pleasure beating the shit out of these guys.

B7-BE1-AA3-3-C70-4296-B26-B-2-A47-EF2-C56-F2.png

The game did really well.

I think without trying to diminish Sega and Yakuza 5 is they could have trimmed the dialogue and cutscenes it’s crazy how long it made the game. But Kiryu and his friends are back and that’s awesome. What did GAF think of Yakuza 5?

BryceNobody

My least favorite game in the entire series and an absolute DRAG to push through. Part 2 in particular was a nightmare.

I understand with 4 & 5 RGG wanted to branch the series out beyond Kiryu’s perspective and didn’t want the formula to turn stale. But spreading the plot so thin over so many storylines made it confusing/convoluted to the point that I just couldn’t care enough about one character. It’s a poor way to drive a plot rather than committing time and effort into one main character’s arc (something they rectified in Y6).

I get people like Y5, and I‘ll admit some of the Haruka story stuff was neat. But this one felt so overloaded and brutally long that I couldn’t WAIT to finish it.

Last edited:

Skifi28

4 & 5 are the only ones I've never played, but we've been getting so many new Yakuza games its really hard to go back to the old games/engine and their clunkiness.

SkylineRKR

I never beat 4 and 5 too.

4 was fun, I bought it when it launched on PS3 in the west but for some reason I stopped after a few chapters. I don't think I liked the different character mechanics. I liked it in 0, with only 2 characters.

I have never played 5. I should one day, its available.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yakuza 5 is a banger. The amount of content and minigames it throws at you is insane.

That Haruka chapter was so damn fresh. Everyone's pop idol came out either we like it or not :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Loved every moment. Game is quantity AND quality. I couldn't believe there were like 5 cities and each of them were so detailed. The switching up of characters and locations kept things less monotonous than usual and the story (mostly) came together by the end. My 2nd fav, next to Yakuza 0, and I've played all of them including the original PS2 ones (Y2 is the 3rd best despite the jank, just on the strength of the story and that early 2000s vibe that was lost going to PS3. Too bad 6 undid everything about 5's story.

I figure it was an immense amount of work, but I hope future installments will have as many cities again. It felt like a tour of the country. Also hoping Nagoshi's new studio is making something in the Yakuza template, the mainline games bringing back Kiryu YET AGAIN shows me the team are rudderless without the brains behind the original games.

I enjoyed everything but the idol crap. I just turned off the sound and sometimes the screen for those mandatory shit shows. Would have willingly killed her to end that torture and get my locker stuff back. Would have gladly had Baba shoot her while having Akiyama take a smoke break or visit an arcade if the game allowed. On the other hand, Saejima's story from the prison escape to his trip to Kamurocho was the best segment of any game in the franchise for me.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yakuza 5 is a weird one. There isn't much I'd want to cut but the length really does wear you down. Still prefer 0,4,1 personally but Id still put it ahead of 2 and 6. i honestly think 5 would have been a better ending point than 6.

Fbh

I enjoyed it but I definitely liked 4 more.
5 feels a bit too unfocused, it's like they threw everything at the wall and just hoped some of it sticks. 4 felt a lot more focused and cohesive.

Also personally I disliked the Haruka chapters. Would rather have had 10 more hours of Saejima fighting bears
huge-bear-yakuza5.gif

Moriah20

I enjoyed it but I definitely liked 4 more.
5 feels a bit too unfocused, it's like they threw everything at the wall and just hoped some of it sticks. 4 felt a lot more focused and cohesive.

Also personally I disliked the Haruka chapters. Would rather have had 10 more hours of Saejima fighting bears
huge-bear-yakuza5.gif

This was like the only good thing about the Saejima section.
Saejima's arc really tested my patience in this game - I loved everything else, but man, Saejima, as interesting of a character he is, gets the absolute worst gameplay scenarios. The fact that it was largely a retread of Yakuza 4 didn't help either. I really wanna know what RGG was smoking with the hunting mini game was well, its so hopelessly clunky.

Last edited:

Fbh

Saejima's arc really tested my patience in this game - I loved everything else, but man, Saejima, as interesting of a character he is, gets the absolute worst gameplay scenarios. The fact that it was largely a retread of Yakuza 4 didn't help either. I really wanna know what RGG was smoking with the hunting mini game was well, its so hopelessly clunky.

I liked the Saejima part....on paper. The whole concept of basically being stranded on the mountain and having to go on hunting trips while fighting the elements could have been really cool, but yeah the execution was very lacking.
I think that's a bit of theme in general with this game. The Kiryu part is the same, the Taxi racing as a concept is really fun but the actual races feel extremely clunky.

xrnzaaas

I don't mind the length, but I was never a fun of so many playable characters in the same Yakuza game, same thing bothered me in Y4. At least Haruka's chapter felt refreshing and I ended up enjoying it despite having serious reservations before playing Y5.

Last edited:
It was barebones arcadey and it just clicked for me. I enjoyed all the little quests the game had you go on as a hunter. I even came back to it at times just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Soltype

My favorite Yakuza game, it almost felt like taking a vacation to japan.They give you so much history on each city, and each city felt different.

Top Bottom