• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasarts games coming to GOG.com, out now [6 to start, 14+ more games to follow]

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone hug me. I need to be held, like right now. SAM AND MAX

Sam_%26_Max.png

Levyne

Banned
Solid, fun game if you ask me, though some missions are ridiculously difficult. Or were, it might be that i wasn't really good enough when i was younger.
And the enemy capital ships having perfect point defenses make torpedoes a bit useless.

I remember trying to steal the Imperial shuttle mission without the cheat codes once, I had to do something stupid like lure the bomber squadron to the far edge of the map and then book it to the shuttle at full speed and back out before they could get back into the perimeter. It probably took like 25 minutes, but it felt like hours, haha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tempted by x-wing and tie fighter, but will wait for impressions on how well they work with a 360 pad and on windows 8.

epmode

Tempted by x-wing and tie fighter, but will wait for impressions on how well they work with a 360 pad and on windows 8.

You'd probably need a keyboard even if the game could recognize every axis and button on a 360 pad (which is definitely not a sure thing with a game this old). It's a space sim, after all.

It's worth the trouble.

DKehoe

Amazing news. I'll finally get to play X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I was worried the Disney acquisition would mean the Lucasarts back catalogue would be forgotten by them but between this and Grim Fandango being remastered I'm really happy with them.

Lime

Grim Fandango remaster revealed at e3

Tie Fighter and Sam and Max getting GOG releases.

I never thought this would happen in my lifetimes. Someone hold me.

Woorloog

Banned
I remember trying to steal the Imperial shuttle mission without the cheat codes once, I had to do something stupid like lure the bomber squadron to the far edge of the map and then book it to the shuttle at full speed and back out before they could get back into the perimeter. It probably took like 25 minutes, but it felt like hours, haha.

The first really difficult mission i remember was the second Rebel training mission, i never could destroy the convoy without either cheating, or skipping the mission and then playing with with better ship with extra equipment to exploit the extra power (so that i can have both speed and recharge).
The second really difficult mission was a scout mission with the A-Wing, you had to identify enemy ships and kill every single probe droid while dodging 100 TIEs and capital lasers...
Can't recall the shuttle mission at all, other than "No problem".

espher

Dead zone was HUUUUUGE on my 360 Gamepad when I played the CE in DosBox. Could never fix that. Not sure if it was my pad or just a trait of the pad.

Minsc

Gold Member
You'd probably need a keyboard even if the game could recognize every axis and button on a 360 pad (which is definitely not a sure thing with a game this old). It's a space sim, after all.

It's worth the trouble.

People will find a way... there will be functional 360/PS4 configurations in a few months I'd bet once it's available for everyone to get digitally/legally/easily... it won't be the same, but people will want to use what is at hand. Still, once all the dust settles, and there's confirmation things work properly with which joysticks they do, I may think about it. But you should be able to get a somewhat decent experience with a controller, the shoulder buttons are analog and could be the third axis, and you have the keyboard for the less immediate functions that the ~20 or so button bindings on the gamepad can't handle.

Tain

I've played through just about all of the SCUMM games. The space sims are what I want. So glad they're coming.

Nokterian

Oh boy...OH BOY! Sam and Max? OH BOY! X-wing and tie fighter...lawd..

I for see that Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle will come also i know it i know it...sooo good :D

WillyFive

This is huge, the X-Wings games!!!!

I have the originals, but they are no longer install able on newer Windows computers. They are the best Star Wars games.

Never even heard of TIE/X-Wing. What exactly makes them so good? Are they sims, or just combat flight games in space?

Space combat simulator. You grab a flight stick, plug it into your PC, and fly an X-Wing exactly as a real pilot does.

Curse has the best animation and (sung) song in any game, don't think it's ever been topped, at least by a game of comparable quality (the song or hand drawn animation, it truly feels like your'e playing a cartoon). I replayed it a few years ago, and it holds up amazingly well, except perhaps a few of the inventory puzzles / scavenger hunts, but there's always easy mode if you're worried about that stuff.
No Easy Mode for me, I'm sure Curse's no worse than something like King's Quest IV.

Shame to hear about the barriers that might hold back Outcast and Academy (Raven under Activision + IDtech 3), but that won't bar Dark Forces and Jedi Knight at least.

18-Volt

I'll be sad if there's no Star Wars Battlegrounds, Episode I Pit Droids, Republic Commando, Battle of Naboo and Empire at War.

batfax

This bodes well. Hopefully Outlaws follows soon, as I love that thing but I can't get past the first half of the game because it doesn't recognize disc swapping on Windows 7 for some reason. Also all those other parts of it that are broken that I just ignore.

Minsc

Gold Member
Never even heard of TIE/X-Wing. What exactly makes them so good? Are they sims, or just combat flight games in space?

Playing through the story to TIE Fighter is more fun than any of the newer Star Wars movies... but I don't suppose that's saying too much. They just nailed everything in those games, the atmosphere, the difficulty, the feel of interaction between levels, the reward for pulling off incredible stuff, the dynamically mixed star wars score while you are flying missions that blasts the battle songs at the exact right moments, but does so like it's being played just for you, and not some pre-recorded score.

The hierarchy of command is done very well, you feel like a scrub starting out, then rise upwards in the ranks and get to interact with some VIPs after earning medals/promotions and all sorts of other surprises that take place.

They're space combat games, but very few games have matched the feel of them, they do go in to a bit of sim territory with all the details, and strategy is needed for the levels, you can't just solo them and blast everything to pieces (though in a TIE Defender you come pretty close), you need to use your teammates and protect the bombers/etc.

I'll be sad if there's no Star Wars Battlegrounds, Episode I Pit Droids, Republic Commando, Battle of Naboo and Empire at War.
Galactic Battlegrounds would be a great alternative to Age of Empires, assuming it and the expansion come out prior to GOG making a deal with Microsoft. If they can revive the Factor 5 games somehow, I'd cream.

Loom's going to happen. But the FM Towns port? Not as likely, though it's be the superior choice.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if they will release Star Wars Rebellion. A friend likes it quite a bit and based on his description, i'd probably like it too.

inm8num2

30 titles seems a bit low. Still a hell of a lot better than nothing, but hopefully after some good sales and feedback GOG can negotiate the rest of the LA catalog.

Oh boy...OH BOY! Sam and Max? OH BOY! X-wing and tie fighter...lawd..

I for see that Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle will come also i know it i know it...sooo good :D

Day of the Tentacle was almost done in a remastered form before Disney shut down Lucasarts and canned everything.

In news that will certainly crush anyone who enjoyed LucasArts-branded adventure games, the team at LucasArts Singapore was working on a remastered version of the classic point-and-click game Day of the Tentacle, according to three people familiar with that project. Like the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games, released in 2009 and 2010, the remastered Day of the Tentacle would be pseudo-3D, with remade background art and cut-scenes redone to run at 30 frames per second.

Although this Day of the Tentacle remake was never officially greenlit, two sources say it was almost finished. One person familiar with the project pegs it at 80% done. But it was never approved, and the company's higher-ups had no interest in continuing to make what they called "legacy" titles like this one. So the game remains unreleased—and perhaps there's a near-finished Day of the Tentacle HD sitting on a shelf somewhere in Singapore, never to be touched again.

Bluth54

It's so great to see Disney take a complete 180 on the digital distribution release of their games, with these releases and their recent releases on Steam. I'm guessing someone new must be in charge of their gaming division.

Now it will come for sure.

I'm skeptical. They would have had to have preserved all the work from a foreign office that got shut down and put a new team on it to finish/test it instead of just reusing whatever porting pipeline they found that worked for Sam & Max and apply that to the original data files for Day of the Tentacle. I'm trusting Disney to follow the path of least resistance here.

It's so great to see Disney take a complete 180 on the digital distribution release of their games, with these releases and their recent releases on Steam. I'm guessing someone new must be in charge of their gaming division.

It may not be that much of a 180, the acquisition was only a year and a half ago and disney and lucasarts are both massive companies.

It may have taken this long just for Disney to assess what assets they have from Lucas, what they can legally sell, etc(I'm guessing Sam & Max almost certainly required Steve Purcell's assent for example).

This is only the first batch. It'll be there.

I really hope so. I like the other ones, but I really want to play Alliance and see if it holds up. I do remember a particular BS mission that neither I nor my friend who was actually quite good at the game ever beat, though.

Mostly just want that scenario builder thing where specify / spawn in a ton a ships and battle.

Tanwo

Finally! Although they release the games I already have physically (Sam & Max, Indiana Jones) first.
I will buy them anyway.
Hoping for Day of the Tentacle and Loom next!

Top Bottom