• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon Gameplay Videos with Audio

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
never played the first Luigi's Mansion is it worth getting?

Absolutely. It's only 4-5 hours long but it's insanely polished. When it came out the attention to detail was totally unrivaled.

Fou-Lu

It had a lot of replay value if you got a Gamecube at launch with no memory card

Haha, I had a buddy who didn't have a memory card and had reached King Boo when his mom turned off the console. He hasn't played the game since because of that memory.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I remember having such a blast with Luigi's Mansion. It was like nothing I'd ever played.

I still don't think there has been a game that felt so much like an animated movie. It was a real showpiece for the GameCube, both the controls and the visuals were incredible.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It had a lot of replay value if you got a Gamecube at launch with no memory card

That's the reason I'm not really worried about the multiple mansions in this new one. Next Level is totally exploiting the "arcadey" side of the original, and yeah, it doesn't do much for the overall atmosphere of the game, but it frees them creatively to do a lot of interesting things and keep the gameplay tight and mission-based.

Alrix

Thinking about it now, I'd totally pay for a collector's edition of Luigi's Mansion 2 that included a port of the original somehow. I might have replayed the game once, but not more than that, and I bought it with my Gamecube on release day. Don't own the game anymore but a quick playthrough for old times sake sounds fun.

Thoraxes

See the theme sounds bad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-xVPaDUR18

But I think it's a fault of instrumentation. The melody sounds a lot better here @ 1:10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIerClUJNPQ

It is instrumentation. I'm willing to bet it'll be a motive focused OST too. A common way to portray that empty and cold feeling through instrumentation is to simply cut out most of the accompaniment, and make everything more sparse. It works for this game IMO.

I say this as a professional composer.

Ezduo

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen a Mario game be so expressive. Luigi doing his little dance when he gets the vacuum is just adorable. Also oddly cinematic.

klier

This will be the game that buys me a 3DS.

I still don't think there has been a game that felt so much like an animated movie. It was a real showpiece for the GameCube, both the controls and the visuals were incredible.

+ 1
Too short, but the very best on GCN.

Shahadan

Theyre saving it for the unannounced Wario's Castle level you get to go to in the game!

That would be cool, but not enough !
What kept me replaying Luigi's Mansion 1 over and over was the high degree of interactivity with almost every object in the mansion. I discovered new treasures during every new playthrough. I fucking loved being rewarded for poking everywhere.

I hope that in these videos it is the player who isn't interested in poking every object in sight. Otherwise it means the game lost its interactivity and is really only focused on ghosts now.
I liked ghosts in the first game but they were way behind on my priority list :lol:

I also don't really like the mission aspect of the game. Many tiny mansions are nothing compared to a big one, but I guess that goes with being a 3DS title.

They seem to have captured the feeling and details very well though.

Original game got way too much shit when it was released for not being a platformer (despite not being a Mario game in the first place), so it'll be interesting to see how it fares nowadays. Really glad to see how much the game has improved since its announcement last year as well; the concept art seems to show they're going for that more gothic, Brothers Grimm style for the game which is vastly more interesting and appealing than the sterile look they go for in most mainline Mario games.

Taker666

They were better on the original 3DS trailer as well. I imagine they were unable to get solid performance while still keeping all of the spooky shadows on everything.

It may be more do to with getting a decent 3D effect.

Dark scenes don't play well in 3D and too much light and shade would mean more 3D crosstalk.

gerudoman

They were better on the original 3DS trailer as well. I imagine they were unable to get solid performance while still keeping all of the spooky shadows on everything.

The framerate seems to have improved, so that's quite logical.

You guys are forcing me to replay Luigi's Mansion these days, I still haven't finished the mirror mansion. The only thing I don't like about the sequel is the design of the regular ghosts, the previous ones were maybe more generic but also had more charm, but I guess it's a matter of getting used.

Next Level games' animation team is amazing. Just watching this videos and Luigi moves like in an animated movie. Punch-Out!!n and this seems to have some of the best cartoon animation of the industry.

I love all the subtle nods to the horros rides of the Disney theme parks, Phantom Manor, Haunted Mansion and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror scene. Being western devs will improve this aspects.

I never played the original or even saw to much of it. I plan to get this though just from the GAF hype whenever it is mentioned.

Mistle

I hope small missions doesn't detract from the overall atmosphere. But at this point I'm just nitpicking, haha

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What the hell happened? Suddenly this game looks really good :D. If I don't have a 3DS by the time this releases I'm pretty sure it'll manage to push me over the edge.

I will miss the money bills though, sucking those up was just so..enjoyable.

Edit: So there were 3 entire levels demoed? Clocktower, Manor and that snowy manor, anyone find a full video of that one?

Game got shown in a really early state unlike some Nintendo stuff as of late. Where as we've just seen say NSMB for the 3ds we saw Luigi's Mansion waaayy before and it's coming out after NSMB. Game just needed some time to get beyond an alpha state. :p

That being said I think the e3 stuff looked beyond what most people thought we'd get. Quality is really top notch, and it seems even a step above the Cube version. This is their 2nd go around though, and I feel like they want this to be a bigger experience too.

ffdgh

I do hope the elemental ghosts return, and a random garden with a tiny plant that needs watering through out the game lol.

pvLycl.jpg

QKxptl.jpg

I love the lighting on these renders. They've managed to improve the Gasping Luigi.

Definitely. But having (only) played the first games in each series, my heart lies much more with Luigi's Mansion. :p Thousand-Year Door is on my to-do list, but I really struggled to finish the first so it isn't near the top.

This is now an intervention.

Play Thousand-Year Door immediately. The original does not even hope to compare.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The lightning is really, really good. Makes it look organic, like a Pixar movie. Should be even more the case in 3D.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Next Level games' animation team is amazing. Just watching this videos and Luigi moves like in an animated movie. Punch-Out!!n and this seems to have some of the best cartoon animation of the industry.

I really agree.
To me, they are a very talented team, that Nintendo should exploit more often.
They miss something important when left to work alone, but with the right direction could be a very solid second party.

The lightning is really, really good. Makes it look organic, like a Pixar movie. Should be even more the case in 3D.

I've been lucky enough to try a demo of it. It looks great in 3D.
There were issues with the framerate in that old build, I hope everything will be fine tuned before release.

TrueBlue

This. TTYD is on a whole nother level.

This. I'm actually considering buying a used copy for £40. It really is that good.

Anyway, on to Luigi. I like what I'm seeing so far, the game seems drenched in atmosphere, and it looks great graphically. I can definitely see the more puzzled-focus take this time around too, hopefully they mix it in with the sheer interactivity a previous user mentioned.

No mention of Mario or "the mess" they're in. Kinda intrigued as to what the Dark Moon is and why Luigi is collecting pieces. Probably something to do with King Boo.

I really agree.
To me, they are a very talented team, that Nintendo should exploit more often.
They miss something important when left to work alone, but with the right direction could be a very solid second party.

I think they need to work with Nintendo always and become second party. The have prove that when they have worked with Nintendo, they turn out amazing old school games, its probably the budget and some head of Nintendo overseeing their projects, with the mix of their talented team, what gives them their best results.

daakusedo

The outside clocktower music is so sinister, and it looks like the game is really dense, with rooms full of details and interaction, I liked the moment where you have to put down the stairs and invisible paths...
Shaping up to be a worthy sequel.

The Lamp

I'm sorry, did people not like Luigi's Mansion last E3? It looks the same but better, as expected.

I am so excited for this.

PK Gaming

Absolutely. It's only 4-5 hours long but it's insanely polished. When it came out the attention to detail was totally unrivaled.

4-5 hours? How fast did you go ?_?

My average play time was somewhere around 10-13 hours (and 20 on my hidden mansion playthrough when I was attempting to 100% the game)

That NWR gameplay sure makes the game look nicer than last year. I wonder what the story is about this time considering the "Dark Moon pieces". Next Level Games is doing a great job! Also, I'm quite happy that we haven't seen footage of the bosses (except maybe the spider). The boss we saw last year didn't appeal to me, maybe they're considering another direction for them? I hope so. Either way, I'm sure this will be a good sequel. I can't wait for it!

4-5 hours? How fast did you go ?_?
My average play time was somewhere around 10-13 hours (and 20 on my hidden mansion playthrough when I was attempting to 100% the game)
The average lenght of the game is around 5-6 hours. You must have went through it really slow to get that time. I did like 6 hours on my first playthrough and now I can clear it in around 2-3 hours. This is one of the things that I hope they fix, the lenght. But with the mansion variety this isn't looking like a problem.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This game reminds me of the newer Metroidvanias like Portrait of Ruin or Order of Ecclesia. They're well polished, but more small chunks rather than one big mansion. Which is good, because that's how it should be on a handheld, they're playing to the systems strengths.

I wonder if this will support the Circle Pad Pro, if so I might have to pick that up.

Wow this looks seriously impressive. Wished they'd shown more of this on stage. Love how it looks. Great stuff. Looks like awesome fun and just the levels actually play out in a really cool way.

Just took over Paper Mario on my list of excitment!

It may be more do to with getting a decent 3D effect.

Dark scenes don't play well in 3D and too much light and shade would mean more 3D crosstalk.

Yup, this sounds about right - I think they've started to nail the right effect now; not sure how but not had a problem on more recent games.

Zelda 3DS was really quite bad for it but Kid Icarus seemed to nail it and I don't think I had any cross effect unless I was up at 3AM and my eyes were falling asleep!

Top Bottom