• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon Gameplay Videos with Audio

hachi

Banned
More than perhaps any other feature, I'm looking forward to the loving voice work of Charles Martinet. His nervous humming and other vocalizations in the original game were downright adorable.

PhantomR

Banned
But what is the benefit to Nintendo? It would add a lot of cost to the relationship, without adding any value.

The benefit is that as a Nintendo owned studio they can not only dedicate their time to only pumping out first party content, thus greatly helping Nintendo's software output, but they can also overtime be molded to create new IP that EAD can't create. Kinda like with Monolith Soft and Xenoblade.

chris3116

I think that Next Level Games will become a 1st party Nintendo studio sooner than we think. Of course, Luigi's Mansion needs a good success to archieve this. Since all their good games were made in collaboration with Nintendo, it's a no brainer. They could help on bigger projects to NST or Retro and making their own games. It's a win-win.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I want this game baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. More than any previous 3DS game.

:bow Next Level :bow2

Knew they wouldn't disappoint.

Edit-

In8iHl.jpg

Sperm Ghost?
KuGsj.gif

This game has been catching my attention lately now that I have a 3DS. Can any of you give me a quick primer on the gameplay though? Never played the first Luigi's Mansion, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on in the clips I've seen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This game has been catching my attention lately now that I have a 3DS. Can any of you give me a quick primer on the gameplay though? Never played the first Luigi's Mansion, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on in the clips I've seen.

Basic gameplay is stunning ghosts with your flashlight so their hearts are visible (which shows their HP), and then sucking them in with the Poltergust (backpack vacuum.) You have to "wrangle" them to get their HP to zero so you can actually capture them by pulling the stick in the opposite direction the ghost is moving.

This game seems to be putting in a lot of different enemy types though, so the above may not be true for most cases in this game, or may be expanded upon.

Otherwise, you're exploring the mansion, looking for clues and progressing. It's very adventure game-y.

Basic gameplay is stunning ghosts with your flashlight so their hearts are visible (which shows their HP), and then sucking them in with the Poltergust (backpack vacuum.) You have to "wrangle" them to get their HP to zero so you can actually capture them by pulling the stick in the opposite direction the ghost is moving.

This game seems to be putting in a lot of different enemy types though, so the above may not be true for most cases in this game, or may be expanded upon.

Otherwise, you're exploring the mansion, looking for clues and progressing. It's very adventure game-y.

Thanks, that sounds pretty neat. So you're exploring the mansion looking for clues that'd lead you to the ghosts? Do the different ghost types require different ways to "wrangle" them?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thanks, that sounds pretty neat. So you're exploring the mansion looking for clues that'd lead you to the ghosts? Do the different ghost types require different ways to "wrangle" them?

Basically yup to both.

The original was super short, but this is already looking like it packs in a lot more content thankfully.

How long was the first game? 6-8 hours?

Half that if anything.

Jay Sosa

Looks great. But wasn't the first one basically a tutorial how to use two analogue sticks? Kinda odd to see it on the DS where you only have one.

skarabrae

Banned
Luigi's Mansion was one of my favorite launch titles of all time (yes, hyperbole, but nothing else comes to mind) and being able to play the sequel on my 3DS makes this a must purchase for me. The gameplay was totally outside of Nintendo's comfort zone and the original still is one of the best looking GameCube games I've played.

Now give me my Animal Crossing too, damnit!

Shahadan

Uh...Hopefully this one will be different--otherwise, hype killed.

It was a highly replayable game, was it to achieve a better score or just for the hell of it. You always find something new.

I remember starting and finishing the game twice in the same day :lol:

This one seems bigger though, and mission focused.

Tagg9

It was a highly replayable game, was it to achieve a better score or just for the hell of it. You always find something new.

I remember starting and finishing the game twice in the same day :lol:

This one seems bigger though, and mission focused.

Also, I think development was a bit rushed to make it a Gamecube launch title. They've had plenty of time to work on Dark Moon, so I wouldn't worry about the length.

Trevelyan

Banned

The first game revolved around 1 mansion only, as well. This one is supposed to have 3 mansions. So unless each mansion only consists of a handful of a rooms, it should hopefully be twice as long/big.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
really interested to see how the game evolved. needed a new title for 3ds, it's been getting dusty.

GhaleonQ

Given Next Level Games' record and time invested, I think we can assume that this will be content-filled.

From the previews, it seems like the 3DS limits the amount of meticulous detail one can have (although the environments are beautifully, efficiently used, like a Winsor McCay comic), so there is necessarily a focus on room-based puzzles instead of SO much on atmosphere, tone, player treats, and the like (although I loved that).

I'm downright ravenous for previews if they're released today.

Booser

This is the only game Im looking forward to next year on 3ds. This and Castlevania. Loved the original, atmosphere looks unreal.

I forgot Next Level was handling this. Psyched. Punch-Out!! was about five times better and deeper than we had any reason to expect or deserve.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

As already mentioned, keep in mind Luigi's Mansion was rushed for launch, and it's clear the developers were packing in as many "cool touches" and graphical enhancements as possible (probably to show what the new console could do) instead of opting to pad the game out unnecessarily.

This game not only isn't a launch game but will have been announced almost a two full years before it finally releases early next year (if it even makes that), which also isn't taking into account the assuredly-significant amount of time it was in development before being shown.

I'm sure the amount of content will definitely be a step over the original (I'm expecting around 10-15 hours.)

Top Bottom