• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupin III - "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" |OT| HARD & DANGEROUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Episode 8

This episode was really pretty weird. I think it was rather enjoyable, but not outstanding. What was strange is that this feels like an episode of X-Files which is halfway between an episodic story and a mythos episode. It's the first episode in a while which had a sense of mystery involved, so that was kinda interesting, but at the same time like every other episode in this series, it doesn't really feel like the staff are really interested in playing up the potential strengths of tension, mystery or anything. Things are presented as they are, in a rather "boring" way (which I'm pretty much used to by now), and even when there are surprises they feel delivered in a half-baked manner.

I really don't know where they're going with the overall series, other than the fact that after this episode it's clear that Fujiko's past is going to have a big role in the latter part of the series, and things are going to get stranger and more surreal. I also have a feeling that Fujiko herself is going to change substantially after this episode, and I'm not sure if it's going to be for the better or for the worse.

Troidal

I'm really trying to love this show, but other than the "retro" look and appeal, the story and the way its being presented is a bit of a bore. It simply doesn't have the vibrancy of a Lupin anime, whether its the first season or the later more comedic seasons. Will endure it to the end though, it's just 13 episodes.

So. At the end of this episode:
the last surreal scene depicts Fujiko getting pinned down and mounted by an owl servant, who has Oscar's figure and similar attire, but with an owl's face. Some members at the Loopin fan-forums think this indicates that, yes, Fujiko was raped as a child. I'd just like to posit another possibility—that Fujiko was "raped" by Oscar, which is both more plausible and more sensible than going with a childhood rape scenario, at least at the moment. Oscar's soliloquy in ep 6 provides some ground for this theory, insomuch that he caught her damn good, and it was only through her graft and by being a psychological opportunist that she managed to outsmart him. If anything, there's going to be a sizable rivalry between her and Oscar, and maybe it'll free up time for Zenigata to go after Lupin in the meantime? IDK, but that final scene is more open-ended than some people think.

A rape backstory, even then, would be okay. It'd be overly-conventional, though, and all of the build-up would feel wasted. This episode was really-good, no matter what happens.

duckroll

Here's what I think: The only one getting raped is the viewer, by Mari Okada in the front and Sayo Yamamoto from behind, both with strap-ons. :(

duckroll

But is it rape if it's consensual? Because I actually like this show.

It's rape if you don't expect it. You can't consent to something you don't know!
I was referring to how we're about to get mind raped in the remaining 5 episodes, because I think things are going to get VERY strange. :)

Pretty sure I got the hint before the first episode even aired. That concept art was trippy as fuck!
Well aware, btw. But these scenes are juicy stuff.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Episode 8

I'm not gonna lie: I'll need to rewatch this episode to make any sense out of it... Although I'm almost certain it won't make sense even then.

The whole Shitoto Chandler thing simply went over my head. What was that lithograph thing?
And he was naming the death days of persons Lupin had stolen from to "test his worth" as a potential man for Fujiko... What? I'm guessing the Count Owl guy is behind this, but how does killing those persons test Lupin?
Somebody please explain this stuff to me, hahaha.

The episode itself wasn't a mess like the previous one, though, despite the fact that once again Fujiko was just an useless secondary character that showed up in the end because of reasons. Hm... Or maybe it's exactly because of how she didn't get much screen time that this episode wasn't that much of a mess.

LTS7k.jpg

*Shudders*

So this Count Owl guy is part of the overarching plot of the series, huh? Oh, nevermind that: there is an overarching plot in this series. That is the big news here.

They need to do an episode with the entire crew or a Lupin + Goemon team up soon. Come on.

Whatever happened, anyway, I wouldn't blame Fujiko for the faults that the previous episode had. She actually had a strong role in the last episode, but it was the loathsome directing, lack of production values, and lack of development for the main story arc that really brought it down for me. It's still an okay episode, though. Nothing in this series has been revoltingly-awful, at least not yet.

tumblr_m4ie44ZaIf1qdc388o1_500.gif

Lupin III: A woman named Fujiko Mine - Death Day.

Well, I decided to watch this episode and I'm actually pretty glad I did. I quite enjoyed it. I do agree with duckroll though in thinking stuff kind of feels half baked. The animation is very nice and there's a lot of attention to detail, but it doesn't feel like much love and excitement is going into the creation process. It should be exciting! It should have suspense! It should surprise us want us to keep watching! But instead it does just come off as a little boring...

But yeah, as for episode 8, I think my enjoyment is mainly down to the fact Lupin had the most spotlight in this episode. His character is still very fun. The story actually had me interested (unlike episode 7) and I couldn't guess what was going to happen next (again, unlike episode 7.) These are the sort of plots I'm more inclined to stick with; it reminded me of the manga's, but in a good way this time.

Jigen didn't have that big a role in this one...
he was just kind of in the middle of it all and he ended up helping Lupin out (since Lupin helped him.) This sort of feels like the start of their friendship, though. I can't imagine it'll go into the Cagliostro realms of being arm in arm and playing rock-paper-scissors; but it shows they're becoming a bit more friendly towards one another.

Seeing the characters shoot police officers in the face was radically different to the old Lupin cartoons (Lupin and co would never kill unless for very good reason or if the victim was super evil.) I guess I can let it pass though. It does give the new show a bit of an edgier feel and I'd say it helps.

Bit of a change from last week, then. Fujiko's back story stuff does confuse me, but I'm trying not to look too far into it. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into something vulgar that will take up a lot of time in the last few episodes, but eh. We'll have to wait and see.

duckroll

I'm really amazed at how this thread has turned out. It really has the most divisive and diverse views out of any show this season. On any given episode, I don't think we have any real consensus on whether it's good or bad, and there's a lot of tense but respectful debate going on throughout. It'll be very interesting for us to reflect on the series after it ends to see how the overall thing holds up for each of us. :)

Btw, now that most of the regulars have seen the episode...
Did that highway scene with Lupin rescuing Jigen remind anyone of the Joker highway scene during the car chase in The Dark Knight?

Did that highway scene with Lupin rescuing Jigen remind anyone of the Joker highway scene during the car chase in The Dark Knight?

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.
It was still a very typical Lupin method of doing things, though! I loved the little "Monkey Delivery Service" logo on the side of the truck. Part of me was hoping Jigen would do something silly to get out of the van himself, but Lupin saving him worked better for the episode's plot. I'm glad Goemon didn't just cut it in half too, as this would happen a lot in the old series.

Still, my favorite police car escape has to be from Red Jacket (I think); Lupin and Jigen are playing pat-a-cake together when suddenly they knock the back doors open and just jump out. The police men inside the van are sat in awe like "Uh, what just happened...?"

Ninjimbo

Episode 8 was pretty good. From start to finish I was really into it. The show has been fluctuating between great, good, and bad for me. Basically it's been all over the place but I've enjoyed watching it.

I have to say that I'm not familiar with Lupin in the least so my opinion is suspect. The only reason I'm checking out the show is because Koike and Dai Sato are involved. I have a tremendous amount of respect for their previous works.

Anyways, back to the episode. One of the reasons why I liked it is because Lupin played a big role. I find the show is at its best when Lupin is involved since he's so charismatic. There was an air of mysticism in this episode and some trippy direction that I enjoyed like Mine's flashback of Owl Man. It was somber. For the remainder of its run, I hope the show
pursues more stories like this that involve the crew more and develop Fujiko.

Completely agreed about this thread—it's been terribly-divisive, and I feel so great to be a part of all the arguing and such.

Episode 8 was pretty good. From start to finish I was really into it. The show has been fluctuating between great, good, and bad for me. Basically it's been all over the place but I've enjoyed watching it.

I have to say that I'm not familiar with Lupin in the least so my opinion is suspect. The only reason I'm checking out the show is because Koike and Dai Sato are involved. I have a tremendous amount of respect for their previous works.

Anyways, back to the episode. One of the reasons why I liked it is because Lupin played a big role. I find the show is at its best when Lupin is involved since he's so charismatic. There was an air of mysticism in this episode and some trippy direction that I enjoyed like Mine's flashback of Owl Man. It was somber. For the remainder of its run, I hope the show
pursues more stories like this that involve the crew more and develop Fujiko.
I'm convinced that, no matter how much cool backstory and development Fujiko gets, she's been relegated to a framing role for the whole series, which is an plus and a minus. One: we're getting a whole bunch of interesting scenarios that pass between different styles of directing, scripting, and general style. Two: because of Fujiko's inherent falws regarding character development (those all being related to her Monkey Punch Perfection™), the emphasis on varied scenarios is greater than ever, which means that the great episodes are awesome, and the middling ones aren't okay.

So yeah: the premise is what truly dooms this series to being less than it could have been. But that's still underselling the show for what it's worth, IMO. It's inconsistent and dodgy all over, but the roughness of the schedule and peaks-and-valleys is sort of interesting, at least at the moment. When I look back on this series, anyway, it'll be consoling to know that it's episodic too, with development tidbits locked away in the shittier eps.

LordCanti

I'm really amazed at how this thread has turned out. It really has the most divisive and diverse views out of any show this season. On any given episode, I don't think we have any real consensus on whether it's good or bad, and there's a lot of tense but respectful debate going on throughout. It'll be very interesting for us to reflect on the series after it ends to see how the overall thing holds up for each of us. :)

They're definitely going in an odd direction for me. Episode eight didn't make a whole lot of sense. What was the glowing light sculpture thing exactly? Obviously the guy can't predict the day people will die, but I don't understand his motivation for wanting it. To maintain his appeal/power? Why did he need a gigantic light thing for that? He knew that people were dying because he was killing them so...? There are other little hints that something odd is going on (the hour glass that goes up instead of down for instance).

It was pretty clumsy to just have the (assumed) villains name kind of spat out by a minor character as well. "We've been teasing this owl thing for a while, and now I think we should just blow it by telling you who it is. Also, he's probably a molester, just in case you didn't pick up the hints"

I like the fact that most of the cast is assembled in one place now (except for Goemon) but it really didn't feel like Lupin to me. The only exception being the aforementioned car scene where Lupin loosed monkey papers all over the chasing cars.

duckroll

I'm going to make a big guess about the possible climax for this series:

Fujiko has some sort of psychological programming which can be triggered, and she is going to start doing things which the main villain needs doing. Team Fujiko will probably be Fujiko, Goemon, and Zenigata. The "real heroes" are going to end up being Team Lupin with Lupin, Jigen, and Oscar teaming up to defeat Fujiko and free her from the villain's control, and it'll also mean that Oscar will go against his own boss and free himself. Alternatively, we could also swap Zenigata and Oscar on the teams, if it turns out that Oscar is part of the villain's scheme.

LordCanti

I'm going to make a big guess about the possible climax for this series:

Fujiko has some sort of psychological programming which can be triggered, and she is going to start doing things which the main villain needs doing. Team Fujiko will probably be Fujiko, Goemon, and Zenigata. The "real heroes" are going to end up being Team Lupin with Lupin, Jigen, and Oscar teaming up to defeat Fujiko and free her from the villain's control, and it'll also mean that Oscar will go against his own boss and free himself. Alternatively, we could also swap Zenigata and Oscar on the teams, if it turns out that Oscar is part of the villain's scheme.

When they said the name of the guy, I pictured Blofeld from the James Bond series stroking a white cat and saying "It's time to die Mr.Lupin".

Your scenario seems plausible. I'd say
Jigen is brain washed though, since the odd hour glass happened during his scene. Unless that's a red herring.
Judging by what the fortune teller said, I think it's more like
he wants a male heir, and Fujiko is going to be the one to give it to him through Lupin.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Your scenario seems plausible. I'd say
Jigen is brain washed though, since the odd hour glass happened during his scene. Unless that's a red herring.
Judging by what the fortune teller said, I think it's more like
he wants a male heir, and Fujiko is going to be the one to give it to him through Lupin.
I assumed the hour glass was simply a scene piece to denote time running out for the character dying. It didn't seem to have any relation to Jigen.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
LTTP: But I thought Episode 7 was pretty meh. I thought the concept and premise was neat, but the direction wasn't strong enough to make it as enjoyable as it could have been.

Ultimadrago

Lupin III: A Woman named Fujiko Mine 8

A2sAS.jpg

Oh heya there

Poor Lupin, habing to settle for
Zenigata's sloppy seconds.

The episode wasn't as boring as last week's, yet I still wasn't "feeling it." Save for this week's
trippy
scene and the funny
electrocution execution on the cross scene,
the whole thing didn't make me "feel" anything. Though I usually am a sucker for
Jigen and Lupin
on-screen together, the former barely got any screentime while the latter took a bit more of a "straight-faced" role all-around. Not to get me wrong, I am fine with serious Lupin, but it didn't add much to the episode for me this time as it did, say,
at the end of the pyramid episode

Ah well, average episode.

Just sounds to me like you want to watch a "serious" Red Jacket episode, which is what ep 5 was. Jigen did get screentime, and it was quite substantial (especially his chat with Lupin), and you can tell the Jigen/Lupin relationship is developing. If you can't analyze and explain why you didn't "feel" anything this time around, though, then I'm not sure what to make of your thoughts anyway!

Ultimadrago

Just sounds to me like you want to watch a "serious" Red Jacket episode, which is what ep 5 was. Jigen did get screentime, and it was quite substantial (especially his chat with Lupin), and you can tell the Jigen/Lupin relationship is developing. If you can't analyze and explain why you didn't "feel" anything this time around, though, then I'm not sure what to make of your thoughts anyway!

Ah, I see. Did all of the "Jackets" have their own signature feel?

And on the "feel" of this episode, hmm, it could have been a simple matter of screen time. Yes, we got a bit more development between Jigen and Lupin, but it's still in the "Oh boy, this guy again." phase (on Jigen's side). Not a bad thing, but them working together
for more than a sniper shot
was more of what I was talking about.

Though I have to catch myself, as this particular series still has Fujiko's name in the title, I am aware! I would say it's the concept, but Episode 5's was not more interesting than the one. However, all the "important stuff", that caught me for this one felt shoehorned at the very end.
The name of "Luis" (which made Fujiko finally give off facial cues that she was actually concerned about something for once besides the day's potential haul) and the owl man rape scene

I feel that if the episode is decisive in delving into Fujiko at this point (along with bringing the gang together in new situations), it should be a bit more prominent in the matter. That way I would have been able to walk around with more. I like Lupin/Jigen interaction, but we only got a bit of that. Fujiko's past tribulations have the potential to be interesting, but we yet again only get a tiny taste. The scenes are of course, build up for the future, but its possible to make stronger episodes while building towards something later.

I didn't hate the episode, I just felt with the two major elements that I've enjoyed/liked thus far (Lupin/Jigen, Fujiko trip scenes, possibly Oscar's rivalry as a third element) that it would be more powerful. I would have appreciated more of a concentration on one or the other.

I have a feeling that the reason we're getting little exposition on Fujiko's side is because she doesn't actually have that much in planning anyway, though I hope I'm wrong and that this was just a directing quirk. They can definitely do more for each episode—but I was more than satisfied with this episode because of the specific style of direction chosen, the excellent scenario and good character development, and the fact that it has something of a budget. Jigen and Lupin are at their most mutually-distrusting in this series right now, but I like the friction between the two and how Lupin is trying to pry Jigen open for future collaboration—a smart, power-conscious thief he is. And I didn't feel that the important stuff was shoehorned in at the very end, anyway—those final few scenes, of course, were the real climax of the episode, but the foreshadowing started from the start.

Yes: the original three series each had different styles to their own, although the first series (Green Jacket) had the most variation due to having two different directors(s) on board. This episode reminded me of Masaaki Osumi's style a lot, even adding some of Osumi's occasional slapstick and dry wit here and there to liven up the proceedings (one of the reasons I think he should get more work in the industry before he and Takahata pass on).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Episode 8 was pretty damn good. It's good to see characters like jigen, fujiko and lupin interacting more throughout the episode, without exclusively focusing on one or the another like previous episodes. I dug the atmosphere, and it somewhat felt like the kind of thing I've been wanting to see more in the series. It was like a typical lupin caper but with a more adult feel.
Seeing the characters shoot police officers in the face was radically different to the old Lupin cartoons (Lupin and co would never kill unless for very good reason or if the victim was super evil.) I guess I can let it pass though. It does give the new show a bit of an edgier feel and I'd say it helps.
Lupin is a EVIL motherfucker in the pre-miyazaki episodes from the first series.:D

Those episodes really went all-out with the panache, late-'60s style, and sheer wit that Osumi was best at. I haven't watched all of the Moomin episodes he did in '69, but the first few I watched were superbly-directed and Takahata-esque, and he carried over the best things about those episodes to the new Lupin series. Sure: Lupin is evil—so what? He's as evil and cunning as everyone else he deals with, except more observant and prepared for nearly anything. I want to see new Osumi episodes, just this once!

Really not liking this show anymore. The first 3 episodes were fine, they were basically introductions.

4 of the last 5 episodes have been painfully boring. Like, hard to stay awake boring. No energy, no spark, no cleverness. The only good episode out of the last 5 (and the best of the series) is episode 6. And I'm pretty sure the only reason it was good is that it focused on Oscar. Not that Oscar is a great character or anything, but it didn't feel like it was pulling teeth for the writers to write about him, like it does when they are forced to write about the other characters.

I was feeling this episode pretty well. Well is a tame adjective, actually: this episode was fucking great, just like the last. Fujiko snaps, Lupin and Jigen laugh, Kikuchi gets freaky, and Luis makes me uneasy? IDK, it's worth a watch.

duckroll

Episode 9

I enjoyed it, low production values aside. It's pretty interesting to see how the show shifted from a Fujiko-gaze Lupin show which is occasionally fucking boring, into a Lupin-centric show with Fujiko as an adversary. There were several creative gags and fun set pieces this week, but some of them are seriously let down by the crappy production values. You can see how rushed this show is, and it really undermines the potential of the show. I feel that with ep8-9, the show is starting to really develop a tempo that flows well now. Things are moving along a path which feels more natural, and the flashbacks are becoming more central to the story.

I think there's a lot of potential that this could end strongly if the next 2 episodes build up a solid final villain before the 2-part climax. It all depends on the direction and writing from here. Unfortunately, I still don't have much faith in Sayo Yamamoto and Mari Okada to pull it off. Hopefully they do though.

I definitely think the series is rushed as a whole, but this episode had great direction and took advantage of enough tricks to keep the action flowing smoothly (though some of the scenes looked pretty coarse at times). This episode was just plain fin all-throughout, especially since it shows Fujiko's weaknesses without getting all doe-eyed and such. Subtle and effective—all the more chilling, too, because Lupin knows he's being tailed by L.Y.A. as well, and every regular in the series is going to be involved in the next three episodes. It better get better from here.

/XX/

I enjoyed it, low production values aside. It's pretty interesting to see how the show shifted from a Fujiko-gaze Lupin show which is occasionally fucking boring, into a Lupin-centric show with Fujiko as an adversary.
So it really has come to that? Great! I'm really behind as I haven't seen past the first couple of episodes and many of the commentaries here have made me leave aside this series for the moment, but as what you mention is something I first expected and I've been wanting to see since the first episode (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36679478&postcount=142) now I have a renovated desire to see it soon and be up-to-date. I'll have trust.

Yeah: if you came for the main arc and not the episodic stuff, this is the time to get caught up and to get in. 8 and 9 are pretty important right now, though all of the Mari Okada eps deal with the main arc to some degree, or at least with character relations

tumblr_m4w8ehfSIQ1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Lupin III: A woman named Fujiko Mine - Steamy Affections.

Not as impressed as I'd hoped. I heard this episode was mainly Lupin / Jigen centric, and that it was, but it was lacking fun IMO. The only bits that made me smile were
the part with Lupin and the girl in the hot spring and the spin Lupin does in the .gif above.
The older series had me laughing quite a lot; I just, for the most part, find this pretty boring.

The plot was interesting, but very strange. I didn't enjoy the story as much as last week. I like the interaction between Lupin and Jigen, and Fujiko makes a pretty bad-ass antagonist. As Duckroll said, it's clear the production values were low this week. Still though, I can't complain too much about how things look. The flash back sequences are still pretty weird. I'd like to find out what it represents, but at the same time whenever I hear those weird noises start playing I always end up thinking "great, another one of these."

A big "meh" from me this week. I neither loved it or hated it.

Out of interest, how would people rate this alongside the other three Lupin series? Personally, my favourite is Red Jacket, then the 1971 Green Jacket, then Pink and finally Mine Fujiko.

Green Jacket = Red Jacket > Fujikoike = Pink Jacket. I don't get how you didn't find this episode fun, to be honest. It was very well-balanced between silly theatrics and Fujiko showing off her hidden insanity.

This is definitely the most divisive series thus far, hampered by being rushed and not using Fujiko as effectively as is possible. Pink Jacket's got the worst writing and best animation, so I guess I'll stick it right by Fujikoike. GJ and RJ are just amazing overall, though the latter can get dull at times.

/XX/

Yeah: if you came for the main arc and not the episodic stuff, this is the time to get caught up and to get in. 8 and 9 are pretty important right now, though all of the Mari Okada eps deal with the main arc to some degree, or at least with character relations
Thanks for the heads-up. Precisely I wouldn't have liked to end up seeing something like the outcome of a main arc or things like that on this show. The first episode, although worked as a introductory one in the most obvious and common of the uses, made me think that it was possible seeing an episodic structure typical for series of the franchise with a slightly shifted focus, and expand on the characterization they wanted to show for Fujiko based on that. Letting slip little-by-little the side of the character they wanted to explore through a first layer of old-school and exciting over-the-topness, instead of having a veiled and abstract introspective-ness. I think this series would have been more consistent that way.

Face-to-faces, challenges and contests... discovering a little more than archetypes beyond that.... this is probably something difficult to achieve with so little episodes, but even an approach based purely on (apparent) mindless entertainment is at times preferable to a continuous build-up without a medium-term objective...

Sorry... I'm judging as far as I've seen comments on the later episodes. Don't take this expectations I had previously too much into account!

Ultimadrago

Lupin III: A Woman named Fujiko Mine 9

EZYP9.jpg

The team.

This episode again has led into an attempt to give Fujiiko more emotion through vague and questioning imagery. A determined Fujiko is quite the welcome sight, even if it didn't really succeed in me "caring" about her character. I appreciate the attempt at giving her visible and understandable dimension.

Seeing Lupin and Jigen together from the start shows some product of their past interactions and the chemistry between them always rings nicely with me.

Fujiko's untold past through their interactions with her, however,
leads to them at dangerous odds.
There were some scenes that could have been animated better. Though on the audio cue side, the little "beep boops" from
Fujiko's past life flashes
in accordance to connecting or relating with
Paint Girl ( as in when she first thought back in this episode and when she chased her down in the cop car)
was a neat touch and one that could have just as easily been left out.

Lupin's show offs of silliness with even a serious Fujiko got some smirks out of me. The man is just a really likable character. "10 points! 10 points! 10 poooints!" Though what was up with the music? I speak specifically in the case of
the final chase of Fujiko and Lupin
. It was off, but not in a fitting way at all, it actually pulled me out a bit.

Anyways, I liked this episode. I felt that I left with something worth taking from the episode in regards to Fujiko and Lupin. Though I may never know how the man is so apt about things. He's wise in a way where I never really question how or why.

I don't get the impression that we're supposed to feel sentimental for Fujiko, not as much we're supposed to truly understand how desperate she is to destroy a tormenting past that, in her own child-like way, she wants to erase and repress forever. This is why the scenes with her naked in bed, or when bathing, and the surreal scenes work very well: she's laid bare when confronting her worst nightmares, no matter what the situation is. Whether not she deserves our pity is a bit different, I'd say.

Animation was inconsistent in areas, but when it's good, it's more expressive than usual. They got some good key animators for this episode, finally.

I don't understand what was going on in the scene where she was on the table strapped down. Was it a metaphor? The rape scene probably wasn't. It looked like she was being eaten

Somehow, someway, her mind was raped as a child. It's not as overt as sexual rape, though, and it's probably occurred on multiple levels. Fujiko was seriously messed-with, and the surreal scenes are pretty blunt in explaining that.

Fantastic Mr. Fox from the Loopin fan forums did a rough translation of the synopsis for episode 10:
Episode 10 Dead Town

While Lupin is sleeping, a mysterious person with the face of the owl appears to him. The figure, a servant of the Earl of Wax(L.Y.A, which kind of looks like boobs, strangely enough) is questioned, and meanwhile the figure asks Lupin about his statement "I want to steal Fujiko Mine." Who is this woman really? Is Fujiko what draws them to you, or is it the mysteries surrounding just what "Fujiko Mine" really is? .... Lupin knows the truth behind her, and races towards the Earl (L.Y.A). However, Inspector Zenigata is now on the case more than ever. He races forward to explore the purpose of L.Y.A. and just what connections he has to Lupin The 3rd.
Looks like everyone will be involved in the case, and this case will probably be the key event uniting everyone and forging their relationships as we know them in other series. Goemon, unfortunately, seems to be relegated to this in terms of development, which I feel is a bit lazy, but it should work out should things just plain work out.

Green Jacket = Red Jacket > Fujikoike = Pink Jacket. I don't get how you didn't find this episode fun, to be honest. It was very well-balanced between silly theatrics and Fujiko showing off her hidden insanity.

I think my main problem is I find myself constantly comparing this to the older series. This episode still did have a few fun moments, don't get me wrong, but it had nothing like what the older material had.

Heck, I think back to the 2011 special, with Lupin and Jigen stealing the second
mermaid's scale
. The police are guarding the shop it's in and Zenigata is standing there all stern faced. They do it by filling two huge balloons modelled after them with some sort of stun powder / shining light. Jigen remotely flies the balloons down the streets as a recording is played with Lupin's voice saying "I am here to steal your goods ohohoho!" When the balloons eventually burst on the street lamps and the police are stunned, Lupin pops out of a sewer, cuts a hole in the glass, steals the
scale
and quickly escapes. It's silly, but pretty neat and a lot of fun.

It's a very cool scene and it's pretty memorable IMO. This series may well be taking on an entirely different tone than what the 2011 special did, but this is the sort of fun I have come to expect from Lupin. This is an example of one good scene out of many from the 2011 movie and I've yet to more than two or three moments in this series that can match it. Just my opinion, though.

This series isn't really for you, then. It's just not going to be like the others—if it is, it'll be closer to the Osumi episodes from the start of the first series than anything else. How'd you like Osumi's stuff?

This series isn't really for you, then. It's just not going to be like the others—if it is, it'll be closer to the Osumi episodes from the start of the first series than anything else. How'd you like Osumi's stuff?

I can respect Osumi's early Green Jacket material, but I much prefer the latter fifteen or so episodes of that series. Some people prefer the Osumi stuff, which is understandable. Not me, though.

It's too weird and quite dark in places. IIRC, Lupin leaves an innocent guard to die in the second episode. The way he escapes is very clever and the storyline to that episode was still very cool, but it's not the character of Lupin I like. As the song from that series goes; "Lupin, he's a nice man." Not really when he's killing innocents. (Also I believe that episode was based off a manga chapter from volume one of Lupin III, so eh.)

I need to stop going off on a tangent. :X

Well: compared to the people he screws over on a regular basis, Lupin is a nice man. Nothing more, nothing less—a practical mess, I can assure you (and Fujiko, of course). He's got real balls of steel in those eps, if you ask me. And he's pretty funny, too. I don't think he left a guard to die in the second episode, btw. Might be referring to a later one, though. He's mostly preoccupied with Piker in the 2nd ep.

I find the Osumi episodes to have the best balance of over-the-top set-piece stuff and neo-noir intrigue, set in a fantasy Japan land that subconsciously focuses the viewers on the characters more so than the premises a lot of the time.

EDIT: I think you're referring to the fourth episode, wherein
Lupin uses his hidden razor-sharp fingernail to shave and escape his cell, leaving the guard behind looking almost exactly like Lupin. He gets taken to the execution because Lupin's been disregarded, his incessant whining and innocence-calling having deterred Zenigata and company from any consideration of sympathy.

Well: compared to the people he screws over on a regular basis, Lupin is a nice man. Nothing more, nothing less—a practical mess, I can assure you (and Fujiko, of course). He's got real balls of steel in those eps, if you ask me. And he's pretty funny, too. I don't think he left a guard to die in the second episode, btw. Might be referring to a later one, though. He's mostly preoccupied with Piker in the 2nd ep.

I find the Osumi episodes to have the best balance of over-the-top set-piece stuff and neo-noir intrigue, set in a fantasy Japan land that subconsciously focuses the viewers on the characters more so than the premises a lot of the time.

Yeah, I can't disagree with you there. I understand what you mean about him focussing more on the characters too, and that's something I can really appreciate. To be honest, I haven't watched the Osumi episodes for a good year or so now. When Discotek release the new box set for Green Jacket this summer, I'll give them a re-watch. I don't dislike the Osumi stuff, I just prefer the later more light-hearted episodes.

The episode I was referring to had him trapped in jail. He was in there for a long time, ended up growing a beard and long hair. He shouted "I'M NOT LUPIN!" all of the time. At the last minute, he craftily switched out with a guard just before he's about to be put to the electric chair. Of course, the guard is shouting "I'M NOT LUPIN!" just as he was. No-one believes him. I'm not 100% if the guard is killed or not, but he's pretty much left for dead. Zenigata is also pretty conflicted with what to do the whole episode. He's not sure if Lupin should be put to death, and he becomes suspicious of the shouting.
- Damn, stealth edit. Yeah, it was episode four. :)

Fourth episode was the best episode out of the Osumi set, if you ask me. Truly superlative character work, mainly because it was the perfect way to showcase Zenigata's relationship with Lupin, and how Lupin's inevitable execution was turning him batty. As with the other episodes, of course, the direction was superb, and the characters dramedy going on was just great all-in-all. It's not hard to see how Osumi influenced Shinichiro Watanabe, after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom