• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M! Games Teaser: "Xbox 360 on fire: The four biggest exclusive franchises return"

amar212

All I want is PGR.

All I want is those beautiful and timeless PGR assets to be combined with Forza assets and made into one gorgeous game called Forza Motorsports World.

Two handling models: Arcade and Simulation

All PGR cities + track maker return
All Forza tracks
All Forza cars
PGR Weather engine
PGR Lightning engine (for PhotoMode, so superior)
PGR TV return
Forza/Pirelli tyre-model for Simulation

Will be glorious.

madmackem

For a franchise to "return", wouldn't that mean we haven't seen anything from it in a while?

I agree that Fable, Gears, Forza, and Halo are their biggest IPs but I'm not sure they fit the title. Heck, Gears isn't even really one of their IPs.

This they havent been away, they really need some more ips milking these is starting to get a little old.

All I want is those beautiful and timeless PGR assets to be combined with Forza assets and made into one gorgeous game called Forza Motorsports World.

All Forza tracks
All Forza cars
PGR Weather engine
PGR TV return

Will be glorious.
The only way we'll ever see that much content is if it's DLC/ free-to-play

eso76

All I want is those beautiful and timeless PGR assets to be combined with Forza assets

at 20 fps :p

i'll be happy with an open world environment for forza cars.

Somehow i think we might see a PGR5 actually, but without bizarre behind it i can't get excited.

Floex

All Forza tracks
All Forza cars
PGR Weather engine
PGR TV return

Will be glorious.

Honey.gif

I mean yes, that would be the perfect driving sim. A mixture of both worlds. PGR was the only racing game I have enjoyed and perhaps one of the franchises I am most looking forward to see return. I cannot stand the likes of Forza/GT, they just seem so lifeless, they just bore me senseless. Give me that arcade sim any day of the week

amar212

The only way we'll ever see that much content is if it's DLC/ free-to-play

I am speculating on this of course, but somehow I see both Forza and "other franchise on other console" to exploit an subscription model similar to iRacing for next-gen.

Both franchises share "cluster" approach to content and heavily experimenting with community aspects, DLC integration and some kinds of subscription model (Forza's Seasonal Pass for example).

From terms of extra-revenue from dedicated players (those who continue to play a game after initial 3-months period) going subscription/cluster/platform is something that would be very logical.

HALO HALO - Master Chef goes to the Philippines to create the ultimate desert (Kinect required)

'Alo 'Alo - Master Chief goes through a wormhole, turns up in occupied France during WW2, and ends up working for an incompetent branch of the Resistance.

(UK-GAF will probably be the only ones that get this.)

mclem

Halo - Halo with Halo as the protagonist
Hola - Halo with a Mexican immigrant as the new protagonist
Aloh - Halo with a French chef as the new protagonist
Hoal - Halo with an English dyslectic as the new protagonist

Halo, Gears, Fable and Forza

Oh, Al: The long awaited Halo/Home Improvement crossover.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
'Alo 'Alo - Master Chief goes through a wormhole, turns up in occupied France during WW2, and ends up working for an incompetent branch of the Resistance.

(UK-GAF will probably be the only ones that get this.)

I used to watch 'Allo 'Allo as a kid. The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies <3

Oh, Al: The long awaited Halo/Home Improvement crossover.

I don't think so, Cortana!

Conor 419

Banned
So what's the basis for PD2? I honestly think that if it were announced, it'd be in development by Microsoft Vancouver.

If it had to be a Kinect title I'd love something like Viva Pináta 3. Shame they'll probably just bang out another Kinect Sports though.

Crackdown/PGR would also be beautiful.

It's probably some combination of Halo / Gears / Fable / Forza. I'm no hater, but I do think MS should diversify their retail portfolio. They need to understand that people like some variety, and being (wrongly) perceived as having "no exclusives" hurts them in the long run.

As it is, they have lots of exclusives... on XBLA and Kinect, which people tend to overlook when they discuss exclusivity.

The OXM text does make it seem an older title... and the "killer" part does make it seem Killer Instinct 3. Doubt it, though, yet another fighting game which might be profitable, but not how they want it to be.

Also, thought MechAssault 3 was gonna be announced last week by Day 1, but it turns out it's "MA in all but name" aka Reign of Thunder. Which means they couldn't get the licence or even worse, MS/Weisman weren't interested. Highly doubt it's MA3 as well.

Castef

Banned
Very quick analysis:

- Fable 4 is almost surely among the 4 games. Molyneux let this "slip" in his "half hints" during the past weeks.
- Technically, Halo 4 has never debuted. So, it could be one of the four games.
- No MechAssault. The developers just announced the pseudo-sequel to the MechAssault saga (Sons of Thunder, if I remember the title), it makes no sense to announce now a third chapter.
- Crimson Skies would be a nice idea.
- Kameo? Naaaah.
- Perfect Dark? Yeeeeh.
- GRabbed By The Ghoulies on XBLA? Why not? I loved that silly game.
- Brute Force? Naaah.
- Rallisport Challenge? HELL FRIGGING YEAH! (so, they won't...)
- Blue Dragon 2? Who knows?

That said, Gears is the one that confuses me the most, since the DLC for Gears 3 is done and I thought the Kinect game was dead.

I'm not sure Gears DLC is done, is it? Google is pretty inconclusive on the subject, some sites say the last DLC was final (without really any source) but most seem to only say it's the final DLC of that season pass thing, not the final DLC proper, necessarily.

That would make sense, Halo 4, Fable Kinect, Forza World (personally I've never heard of this but everybody else apparently has) and then a new Gears DLC (presumably single player?). Your four biggest franchises.

Castef

Banned
It's probably some combination of Halo / Gears / Fable / Forza. I'm no hater, but I do think MS should diversify their retail portfolio. They need to understand that people like some variety, and being (wrongly) perceived as having "no exclusives" hurts them in the long run.

As it is, they have lots of exclusives... on XBLA and Kinect, which people tend to overlook when they discuss exclusivity.

Actually, if you look at the range of Microsoft Exclusives as a whole, there is a lot of variety.

They have Shooters, Driving Games, RPGs, Action-Adventures, Platform games and also a bunch of original games.

Maybe you can argue about the quantity.

SykoTech

360 Exclusives, sorted by US NPD sales descending, by sales of top instalment--data is not 100% complete but it's fairly complete so I'm pretty confident in the order:

1. Halo (Halo 4 already announced)
2. Gears
3. Left 4 Dead (not exclusive, PC/360, but magazines frequently refer to stuff like that as exclusive)
4. Kinect Sports
5. Fable (The Journey already announced)
6. Dance Central
7. Crackdown
8. Splinter Cell (* not exclusive as a franchise, but Conviction was PC/360, see Left 4 Dead)
9. Forza
10. Perfect Dark

Worldwide shipments and including pack-ins and not including PC/360, I'm reasonably certain it's Halo > Gears > Fable > Forza.

Looking at this list (and all the other guesses in this thread) makes it clear to me as to why I never bothered with an Xbox or 360. Perfect Dark is probably the only one that would get the slightest amount of hype, and it's at the bottom.

Would be cool if it as a Banjo-Kazooie platformer too, but that certainly wouldn't fit the bill of "biggest exclusive franchise".

Speaking of fantasies, a Vodoo Vince game that actually delivers this time would interest me. I remember following that game quite a bit back in the day, until everyone started talking about how lame it was. Vince certainly had more appeal to me than that other mascot Microsoft had about the time traveling cat.

Hideous.

Which may be a bit of a problem now (although not really since their sales don't seem to suffer because of it), but I doubt it will be in the next generation when we see an even larger shift into the downloadable space (and probably Kinect gaming) so people will be less likely to ignore those offerings.

kadotsu

Banned
Freelancer 2
Blast Corps 2
Zoo Tycoon 3
Crimson Skies 2

I'm not ready for another another Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza iteration.

nasos_333

Very quick analysis:

- Fable 4 is almost surely among the 4 games. Molyneux let this "slip" in his "half hints" during the past weeks.
- Technically, Halo 4 has never debuted. So, it could be one of the four games.
- No MechAssault. The developers just announced the pseudo-sequel to the MechAssault saga (Sons of Thunder, if I remember the title), it makes no sense to announce now a third chapter.
- Crimson Skies would be a nice idea.
- Kameo? Naaaah.
- Perfect Dark? Yeeeeh.
- GRabbed By The Ghoulies on XBLA? Why not? I loved that silly game.
- Brute Force? Naaah.
- Rallisport Challenge? HELL FRIGGING YEAH! (so, they won't...)
- Blue Dragon 2? Who knows?

Fable 4 is almost certain, with the site counter, the Lionhead job post for DX11 and unreal engine development etc

The strange thing is how will they announce it for xbox 720, before 720 is announced ? Maybe they wont announce the platform ? Or will there be a Fable 5 on xbox 720 and 4 will be on 360 ?

I expect more Gears for sure too

Hopefully Lost Odyssey 2 or resume of Cry on from MIstalker

A Dark Souls 2 or Witcher 3 would be behemoth huge too, Witcher developers already confirmed their next project will be in at least two systems, which means PC/360 or PC/720 imo

itsgreen

Btw, do we know what studios are in Spain?

Dutch Journalist Jan Meijroos is/was attending the event in and said that he couldn't say anything about what he said but that a big surprise comes out of spain, he added: 'A Spanish studio surprised friend and foe'.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Dutch Journalist Jan Meijroos is/was attending the event in and said that he couldn't say anything about what he said but that a big surprise comes out of spain, he added: 'A Spanish studio surprised friend and foe'.

The only one I can think of ATM is MercurySteam

Actually, if you look at the range of Microsoft Exclusives as a whole, there is a lot of variety.

They have Shooters, Driving Games, RPGs, Action-Adventures, Platform games and also a bunch of original games.

Maybe you can argue about the quantity.
I'm mostly talking 1st party or very close 3rd party (like Epic), and retail AAA. Platform games? I dunno if currently Banjo is a platformer or a creation-kit thing. Since there's no Rallysport or PGR, they have 1 racing game, 1 FPS (Halo), 1 TPS (Gears), and as a series only 1 RPG (Fable). Everything else is 1-shots like Lost Odyssey.

They do have quantity and variety in XBLA and Kinect, but most people overlook those. And they're not big attention getters like a Halo.

Which may be a bit of a problem now (although not really since their sales don't seem to suffer because of it), but I doubt it will be in the next generation when we see an even larger shift into the downloadable space (and probably Kinect gaming) so people will be less likely to ignore those offerings.
Maybe. It's the perception that is hurting them, so it may make people not pick up "Xbox 720" in lieu of PS4 or WiiU.

Fable 4 is almost certain, with the site counter, the Lionhead job post for DX11 and unreal engine development etc

The strange thing is how will they announce it for xbox 720, before 720 is announced ? Maybe they wont announce the platform ? Or will there be a Fable 5 on xbox 720 and 4 will be on 360 ?

I expect more Gears for sure too

Hopefully Lost Odyssey 2 or resume of Cry on from MIstalker

A Dark Souls 2 or Witcher 3 would be behemoth huge too, Witcher developers already confirmed their next project will be in at least two systems, which means PC/360 or PC/720 imo
Witcher devs have said they have a "surprise" in 2 months or so, rumoured to be Witcher 1 port on Games on Demand, similar to how EA did Crysis 1. Witcher 3 is a given on the next Xbox, and they are working on another AAA RPG.

Iterations of Halo / Gears / Forza / Fable on the next Xbox are a given. I dunno if we're getting something out of GDC or the Spring Showcase that's 720 related (only after it's reveal at E3 2012), which probably means any announcements they make now are the "last wave" of MS Xbox 360 games.

+ Digital Chocolate in Barcelona / others - mobile games
+ Digital Legends Entertainment in Barcelona - mobile / smartphone games, notably BF Bad Company 2 on iOS
+ EA Spain in Barcelona - mobiles games, localisation
+ Gameloft in Barcelona - mobile games
+ Mercury Steam in Madrid - Jericho, Castlevania LoS, currently working on something(s))
+ Novorama in Barcelona - Invizimals series, just released Reality Fighters on PS Vita, now owned by Sony
+ Pendulo Studios - Runaway series
+ Pyro Studios in Alcobendas - Commandos series, Planet 51, currently working on a new Commandos game
+ Tequila Works in Madrid - currently working on MS published, XBLA exclusive Deadlight)
+ Virtual Toys in Barcelona & Valencia - Horsez series, mobile and portable console games

There was also Grin Barcelona and DICE Barcelona, Grin closed, DICE I dunno. I heard they did some work on a Mirror's Edge 2 prototype, but we all know how that is in dev hell.

There are other companies, dealing with art outsourcing, localisation for EU territories, programming, and lots of smaller mobile devs.

Maybe. It's the perception that is hurting them, so it may make people not pick up "Xbox 720" in lieu of PS4 or WiiU.

I sincerely doubt it, it's only a small subset of gamers that's really bothered by that, and I'm sure Microsoft will ensure that the start of the next generation is as rich in exclusive content as the start of this one was.

S1kkZ

one of the editors of the magazine rsponded to someone on their forums:

Q: just tell me if the current "hype" is justified. i f we get kinect only games like dance central 3 or kinect sports 2, well...

A: i think you wont be disappointed. no time traveling cats or rare ghoulies in sight.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
one of the editors of the magazine rsponded to someone on their forums:

Q: just tell me if the current "hype" is justified. i f we get kinect only games like dance central 3 or kinect sports 2, well...

A: i think you wont be disappointed. no time traveling cats or rare ghoulies in sight.

Damn, I was hoping for Blinx 3 or Grabbed by the Gonads.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to this thread I am now imagining Microsoft spending mad money on the marketing onslaught for their winter blockbusters Blood Wake 2, Return of Azurik, Blinx 3D and Brute Force: Force Bruter.

Robot Pants

When do we find out? Next month?
edit: NM I got this thread confused with the OXM one. Too many rumors.
This month then?

pezowned

Neo Member
I imagine we will know when the embargo gets lifted for the MS event that happened recently.

I would be willing to put money on it being

Halo 4
Fable: The Journey
Gears of War Kinect (The one that was rumoured about a year ago)
Forza World

Two new announcements and more info for two titles we know about.

Top Bottom