• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M1 or M2, which should I buy?

M1 iMac or M2 Mac Mini?

• M1 iMac

• M2 Mac Mini

Results are only viewable after voting.

David B

An Idiot
So I'm wondering about which one to buy. an iMac with old M1 or a new Mac Mini with M2? I can't really afford the big M3 iMac updated ones. Also Mac Mini has more inputs like 2 USB 3.0 and 2 or 4 thunderbolt 4 USB-C. Also Mac Mini price is cheaper. So which one?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
New Mac mini? I’d get the better CPU. How much RAM are you getting?

You’ll probably want the M3 once you use whatever you get for a year. I see people get a Apple product at a reduced price and buyers remorse kicks in once you feel like it’s performance isn’t what you really wanted.

David B

An Idiot
New Mac mini? I’d get the better CPU. How much RAM are you getting?

You’ll probably want the M3 once you use whatever you get for a year. I see people get a Apple product at a reduced price and buyers remorse kicks in once you feel like it’s performance isn’t what you really wanted.
16GB so I can run Parallels 19 with Windows 11 Pro ARM version as well as some linux ARM distros like Ubuntu and Mint and others.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Choose more performance or the iMac screen.

That's it, basically.

No point in asking me what I think you should do, I would save and get a MacBook Pro / Mac Studio

So I'm wondering about which one to buy. an iMac with old M1 or a new Mac Mini with M2? I can't really afford the big M3 iMac updated ones. Also Mac Mini has more inputs like 2 USB 3.0 and 2 or 4 thunderbolt 4 USB-C. Also Mac Mini price is cheaper. So which one?

Def the M2 and look for refurb options. Also check if you can get student discount (shouldn't need an student email)

LordOfChaos

16GB so I can run Parallels 19 with Windows 11 Pro ARM version as well as some linux ARM distros like Ubuntu and Mint and others.
Sounds like you do enough for the more powerful M2 + 16GB to be a help

Plus you can bring a larger monitor than the iMac

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Probably the M1...didn't know it was still popular nearly 35-years later.
Lp6x3i3.jpg

But seriously, buy an M2 and start modding carefully. I had a toss up between picking a business computer for my wife a couple months back. I grazed M1 & M2 but the fact that you have to pay to expand that 256Gig hard drive...I went with the Thinkpad. Check the specs as the best option is M2:

Edit (the correct comparison link):

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Mac mini is a really good value. There is probably gift card promo on Black Friday too.
This will happen. I've seen like 2 in store promos on multiple Mac models this year. Not sure Apple will ever run one of those promos but buy from a wholesale retailer and they'll have it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I dont like spending new money on old tech, as a general principle, unless it's purposely retro (like an old console). M1 is dated tech at this point with the M3 out.

Bry0

My vote goes to the M2 then you can upgrade the screen and all that to whatever you want instead of being stuck with iMac hardwsre

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would get the Mac Mini with the M2, but the M1 is still a decent chip, especially if you're just planning to do general computing tasks. I have a MacBook Pro with an M1 chip and 16 GB RAM and it's still very good at the workloads I give it. Holds It's own pretty well.

Last edited:

lachesis

M3 iMac is available, so why go with M1 iMac?
If I was you, I would get M2 mac mini - as I already have a couple of 4k displays.

KrakenIPA

Getting the latest doesn't always mean you're getting the greatest. I would go with the M2 if you have other Apple devices, ask Santa for an M1 ha!

(Also I thought this would be a M1 Garand vs. M2 Browning debate)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
M2 only because there is little to no price drop on the old ones that would make it worth it.

Top Bottom