• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Apple computers so expensive/overpriced?

If you’re complaining about the price of apple stuff, then it’s not made for you. Apple stuff is for productive people, if you’re producing stuff, then the cost isn’t a matter.
The_new_MacBook_Pro_Design_Performance_and_Features_Apple-5_8d63f4dc17b907651eae407a2e46cc7e.gif

Honestly, premium Windows laptops which are up to the hardware quality standards of MacBook cost just as much if not more.

I paid just as much for my Lenovo Legion RTX 3070 fire-breathing gaming laptop as I would for a 16" MacBook Pro. The MBP wouldn't be for gaming obviously, but it would also be a lot quieter and cooler than the Legion. Both laptops are fit for purpose, both cost pretty much the same, and both are much better than the $400 Walmart shit that people like to disingenuously compare Apple laptops with.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You can tell who can't afford Apple Products are in this thread so easily.
All the ones still using Apple products from decades ago? My Core2Duo PC still works but I am willing to upgrade to modern components for a better experience unlike most of the Apple proponents in this thread.

Melon Husk

The moment you pick a higher capacity storage option all their products are overpriced.

Regarding Apple laptops:
If you divide the price by battery life then you're not overpaying (for the lowest tier Macbooks).

For whatever reason Windows laptops have smaller batteries and shorter battery life in general, and there is no interest in improving because hardware manufacturers can sell the same laptop more often that way. How often users buy a new laptop is strongly correlated to price and profit margins.
I'm not saying that long-lasting Windows laptops can't be made, but for some reason no company has the balls to do it.

Regarding Mac desktop computers:
The lowest tier Mac Mini is fairly priced. Imac? Well, they come with a nice built-in monitor...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The moment you pick a higher capacity storage option all their products are overpriced.
If you are talking about overpriced = highest margins for Apple the base model is probably the one, as almost always when it comes to products with different price tiers.

Another counter example: same SSD/RAM config on MBA M2 is $100 cheaper than MBP M1 Pro 14”, which is a much superior machine.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If you are talking about overpriced = highest margins for Apple the base model is probably the one, as almost always when it comes to products with different price tiers.

Another counter example: same SSD/RAM config on MBA M2 is $100 cheaper than MBP M1 Pro 14”, which is a much superior machine.

The new Air is way too expensive imho - the fact they still have the older model for sale proves it.

It’s like the 13 inch MacBook, same deal.

Jon Canon

Is there another businesslaptop with a comparable touchpad to the apple ones?

I have used thinkpads, hp, asus, lastly a dell z something, it was not usable at all, like an obstacle to getting things done.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hmm seems people here do not understand that the new apple cpus basically destroy intel cpus with much better embedded gpus and at a fraction of the power draw. the gap between the intel macs and the apple silicone macs is insane.

The only real problem I’ve got with the new Mac book air is they should have 16 gig of ram standard not 8. OSX still loves more ram. At least some pro model MacBooks do come with 16 standard and the Mac Studio has 32 gig standard.

Also the move to none replaceable ram on higher end macs is disappointing.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Where people just want a great computer and are not bothered by spending like 20-50% more.

I mean I get it, you want something good quality and all in one unit your going to get it with a Mac.

Apple's products are excellent, I bought many over the years, but yeah they are too damn expensive. Even those that came out years ago are still pricey. Guess Apple will keep getting away with it until some truly threatening competition comes along, or the company does something catastrophic and implodes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Apple's products are excellent, I bought many over the years, but yeah they are too damn expensive. Even those that came out years ago are still pricey. Guess Apple will keep getting away with it until some truly threatening competition comes along, or the company does something catastrophic and implodes.
That is what really dissuades me from apple - it is really easy to switch to them, not from them. I still remember that period where apple were sticking to the line that people didn't want bigger screens on their phones and people in their ecosystem were vacilating between cursing their tiny screens and convincing themselves apple were right.

nkarafo

They market them as luxury and trendy products and price them just right for the middle class narcissists to be able to buy them for show off.

A little cheaper wouldn't work because all of your friends could buy them. A little more expensive would't work either because that would make them genuine luxury products for a small market.

David B

An Idiot
I just had a Dell all in one Inspiron with Intel core i7 12th gen laptop CPU and than exchanged for Dell desktop Intel core i7 12700 12 core desktop CPU computer and both froze on me constantly for video editing. Exchanged finally a freaking 4th time now for an iMac M1 in green and iMovie does editing to 1080p MP4 in as little as 1 minute. Apple has really kicked the crap out of Intel and AMD.

That is what really dissuades me from apple - it is really easy to switch to them, not from them. I still remember that period where apple were sticking to the line that people didn't want bigger screens on their phones and people in their ecosystem were vacilating between cursing their tiny screens and convincing themselves apple were right.
It sure was easy to switch to Apple after years of using low-quality laptops and Android phones that overheat, lag, have buttons come off, and get infected by adware.

I can see why people criticize Apple consoomers for being fanatics, but at the moment there isn't much of a viable alternative to Apple, except maybe in the realm of high-end laptops.

I would like to try a flip smartphone (the one that folds like a GBA SP) if the hardware and OS quality is there. Sony could claim a spot in that niche, if they stopped making yet another Xperia that becomes unusable after 3 years (happened twice to me). I say this as a big fan of the Xperia brand.

dr_octagon

Banned
Apple can integrate messages, video, document syncing, using your iphone camera on your laptop, payment, extra screen etc. The integration, continuity and handover only works because they have control of the software and hardware.

I understand the appeal, even if it comes at a higher cost. You don't have to worry about losing a file, not having information saved or installing drivers or messing with settings.

You can technically do it with some Android and Microsoft but it far from an easy or slick user experience.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Regarding Apple laptops:
If you divide the price by battery life then you're not overpaying (for the lowest tier Macbooks).

For whatever reason Windows laptops have smaller batteries and shorter battery life in general, and there is no interest in improving because hardware manufacturers can sell the same laptop more often that way. How often users buy a new laptop is strongly correlated to price and profit margins.
I'm not saying that long-lasting Windows laptops can't be made, but for some reason no company has the balls to do it.

Regarding Mac desktop computers:
The lowest tier Mac Mini is fairly priced. Imac? Well, they come with a nice built-in monitor...

To be fair, they're still selling in 2022 computers with 8gb of ram and 256gb of storage as the base option in 2022. This is unacceptable, at the prices they charge.

Too bad we didn’t get Vaio macs. That almost happened. I’m sure they would have run only 10.4 Tiger, then become obsolete once steve jobs changed his mind.

David B

An Idiot
Wow it would of been epic if Sony and Apple worked together. I admire both companies the most these days, but Sony sold Vaio to Taiwanese company about 2 years ago and Apple just has stayed there own way. I love PlayStation consoles and Sony TVs all the time and I refuse to buy anything else but Sony for electronics like that. Like I said before I tried Windows computers again and again after exchange return 3X. Just didn't cut it for me and what I do. I make youtube videos everyday and Windows 11 constantly froze on me in it's 2 built in video editors. So I went back to iMac and wow it was the best decision ever as it works fast!

element

I've had both PC and Mac laptops, and when it comes to design, reliability, battery life, operating with other devices and now speed (thanks M1 Pro) there just isn't anything remotely close on the PC side.

And I'm talking daily use, not playing games.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The funny thing about Apple is that for every phone that they support for years longer than any Android phone and every MacBook that is better built than Windows laptops, there's an equal an opposite ripoff like a $1000 monitor stand.

They also seem to be somewhat slipping on their software usability. Some of their additions to iOS in recent years have been janky and lacking.

Also keep in mind that Mac survived the Wintel onslaught. What if others survived, and companies like Acorn, Tandy, and Commodore also were still players with their own operating systems?

They also seem to be somewhat slipping on their software usability. Some of their additions to iOS in recent years have been janky and lacking.
MacOS has been suffering from the same thing. No real evolution, just extra bloat and some questionable decisions.

Plus, some broken stuff that before didn't happen. And take a lot of time to fix, if they're fixed.

Melon Husk

To be fair, they're still selling in 2022 computers with 8gb of ram and 256gb of storage as the base option in 2022. This is unacceptable, at the prices they charge.
It's totally fine for Mac OS. You can't play real games on it anyway. It's optimized for 2D graphics. If you're being paid to use it as a tool in your work then higher price tiers aren't an obstacle.

David B

An Idiot
It's totally fine for Mac OS. You can't play real games on it anyway. It's optimized for 2D graphics. If you're being paid to use it as a tool in your work then higher price tiers aren't an obstacle.
I have the 8GB ram, 256GB SSD iMac $1499.99 4 USB-C, ethernet jack, 8 CPU 8 GPU, green. Works fast, no problems. I checked ram usage it's at 4.5 to 5.2 most of the time.

kondorBonk

It depends on what you do. I have a home PC and Macbook Pro for work/transport.
The Macbook Pro is perfect for on the go. Slick and runs the Adobe Suite like a dream.

For home, obviously video games are important to me so a Mac isn't even an option for home. 3D modeling with Blender, Mac is not up to snuff. Mac is not optimized in Blender and because it's such a community run software, less extensions/tutorials seem to even bother with Mac.

Phone/tablet wise, I don't think anyone could argue that Mac is nice. For my family/friends, no one seems to care about Apple so neither have I. I'm very used to a Samsung and only recently updated to the 22 so I prefer the layout due to muscle memory. Plus, personally for my own needs phones peaked a while back. I don't do anything on my phone outside of the basics.

Watches lastly, I think the Galaxy 4&5 are a much more fashionable product than an apple watch. I simply don't think Apple has a good design and I have not found any larger benefit to what they actually accomplish.

You need to think about it from a resale perspective (even if you’re not going to resell)

You can get a MacBook Air today for $900ish and 5 years from now you can feel confident you’ll sell it for at least $400. So you’re really paying $100/yr. Any windows pc will be lucky to retain any value, maybe the Dell XPS. So the cost per year will be higher

Last edited:
Top Bottom