• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Screen%20Shot%202011-08-04%20at%208.02.21%20PM.png

This is really starting to show its age, though it's very manageable. It's better than the shitty computers at work. I'd like to get a new iMac maybe next spring with my tax return, if everything works out okay.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Bought myself a MBP back in march. It's alright, but way too expensive IMO. But still. I like that it just works. No need to worry about constantly updating protection against viruses and malware. Yeah, I know Apple computers are just as vunrible (sp) to them as PCs are. I also like that it doesn't crash. The screen is gorgeous, but puts off way to much glare.

Chris R

Jasoco said:
Apple sells a rechargable battery set and charger with 6 batteries for $29.
I have rechargable batteries. I just prefer my connections (kbm) to be wired. Never had good luck with bluetooth/wireless mice, so I need that wire! Not needing to worry about recharging batteries is just a bonus.

th3dude

Crazymoogle said:
sn1pes: SSD's have changed my experience with computers. Short of a game console or external backup drive I'll never use a regular hard drive again. It's worth far more to me than any video card upgrade.

Damn you! Just bit on the 256gb 'Official' Toshiba SSD for $235. Couldn't pass it up for that price.

I can't wait to get it and put Lion on it for some sweet Trim goodness.

Also, +1 to you for being a Steeler's fan. Grew up there, now in DC area.

sn1pes said:
Damn you! Just bit on the 256gb 'Official' Toshiba SSD for $235. Couldn't pass it up for that price.

Just saying, my first gen vertex was so good I spent the money to upgrade my wife's laptop too. There's no way I'd buy a PC, particularly a laptop, without an SSD now. ;) Not really a fan of Apple's pricing sometimes but that's a sweet price for a 256GB SSD...

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
I have rechargable batteries. I just prefer my connections (kbm) to be wired. Never had good luck with bluetooth/wireless mice, so I need that wire! Not needing to worry about recharging batteries is just a bonus.
Suck it up, cupcake. Apples devices have great battery lives. Plus it's not that hard to swap batteries occasionally.

According to the internets, under normal usage, the Magic Trackpad will last 3-6 weeks.

Phobophile said:
Screen%20Shot%202011-08-04%20at%208.02.21%20PM.png

This is really starting to show its age, though it's very manageable. It's better than the shitty computers at work. I'd like to get a new iMac maybe next spring with my tax return, if everything works out okay.
Seriously, if you had bought a PC at the same time, do you think it would still hold up today with Windows 7 and all that? Lion actually made my 2006 C2D MBP run faster.

Chris R

Jasoco said:
Suck it up, cupcake. Apples devices have great battery lives. Plus it's not that hard to swap batteries occasionally.

According to the internets, under normal usage, the Magic Trackpad will last 3-6 weeks.
Uh, I don't have any problem with batteries. I just want a physical wired connection to the device I'm controlling, not wireless/bluetooth/ect. Again battery life plays no part... and my post says as much. Maybe I'm just misreading your post.

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
Uh, I don't have any problem with batteries. I just want a physical wired connection to the device I'm controlling, not wireless/bluetooth/ect. Again battery life plays no part... and my post says as much. Maybe I'm just misreading your post.
I dunno. I don't have much problems with wireless mice and keyboards. But I guess you have your reasons. Sad though because Apple doesn't show any sign of ever releasing wired devices again. If they could, they would remove wires from everything, including iPhone/iPod cables and the video cable for the monitor if it could actually be possible.

Just wanted to pop in here to say that I've had the new Air for around a week, and it's officially the best computer I've ever used, hands-down. After alot of internal debate I decided to buy the 13' and sell my 2010 15' MBP. I don't regret it for a second. The pro seems like an absolute monster now in terms of weight, and while I slightly miss the larger screen, there's absolutely nothing else I miss. I never used the ethernet port nor firewire, and optical I was glad to be rid of. This thing is fucking fast, almost unbelievably so when compared to its ridiculous thinness and weight. Illustrator/Photoshop literally open in 4 seconds, when they used to take 30 on the pro, and quit just as fast. I consider myself a pretty heavy user, as I work with large files and use the adobe suite, so its quite something that I can more than get by with the Air. Also, I've completely changed my storage strategy for the better. While I stored a couple hundred gigabytes of media on my pro (as well as spread around 3 external drives, ranging from 250Gb to 1TB) I decided that strategy was headache inducing and inefficient, difficult to manage, as well as having no real redundancy for all my data. I bought a NAS, along with 2 2TB drives and set them up as RAID1. I'm still in the process of consolidating all my shit (can't believe transfer speeds are so ridiculously slow) but it feels absolutely amazing being able to access/stream everything wirelessly, without plugging shit in, and knowing it's all as safe as it can get with raid. I plan on being alot more vigilant with the air, in culling stuff I don't need and offloading most everything I'm not currently working on or use regularly to the server. Feels so much safer too, knowing my life isn't on my laptop anymore, but stored in a much more secure place, and can be remotely accessed anytime.

Ok I didn;t plan on that rant, but I'm so enamored with this machine, and the fact that it seems to run circles around my pro and look sexy as fuck doing so.

strata8

I'll be picking up an iMac soon (the 2.7Ghz 27" model); it's my first Mac, so wish me luck! I'm honestly just sick of all the clutter around the traditional tower PCs. Manufacturers should've moved towards all-in-one PCs years ago.

polyh3dron said:
Seriously, if you had bought a PC at the same time, do you think it would still hold up today with Windows 7 and all that? Lion actually made my 2006 C2D MBP run faster.
Don't be silly, of course it would. We have an early 2006 Dimension E520 (1.86Ghz Core 2, 2GB RAM) running Windows 7 Ultimate and it works flawlessly. I honestly love Macs, but I just can't see the justification for this 'holding the value' argument against Windows PCs.

bionic77

sn1pes said:

Woah, where did you find that SSD at that price? That is a steal.

th3dude

bionic77 said:
Woah, where did you find that SSD at that price? That is a steal.

Saw one go without bids on eBay starting at $300 from a newer seller. The seller had sold a few in the past and got + feedback on them so I messaged him and negotiated the price down and he listed it as a Buy It Now for the negotiated price.

A little work was involved, but hopefully worth it!

bionic77

sn1pes said:
Saw one go without bids on eBay starting at $300 from a newer seller. The seller had sold a few in the past and got + feedback on them so I messaged him and negotiated the price down and he listed it as a Buy It Now for the negotiated price.

A little work was involved, but hopefully worth it!
If the SSD works it is totally worth it at that price. That is a ton of storage and it will be supported by Apple for TRIM support in Lion and future OS releases. For that capacity that is a steal for pretty much any brand of SSD.

It is a piece of cake to upgrade the HD on unibody MBP's these days. Took me less than 10 minutes, all you need is a T6 and Phillips screwdriver (contrast with the old MBPs which was a total nightmare). The cloning or backing up of your old HD is the only part of the process that takes anytime whatsoever.

th3dude

bionic77 said:
If the SSD works it is totally worth it at that price. That is a ton of storage and it will be supported by Apple for TRIM support in Lion and future OS releases. For that capacity that is a steal for pretty much any brand of SSD.

It is a piece of cake to upgrade the HD on unibody MBP's these days. Took me less than 10 minutes, all you need is a T6 and Phillips screwdriver (contrast with the old MBPs which was a total nightmare). The cloning or backing up of your old HD is the only part of the process that takes anytime whatsoever.

Yea, at that price it's definitely a bit of a gamble. I figure if it's DOA I can always open a Paypal/eBay dispute, but I think it will be fine.

And yea, I always told myself that I'd never go SSD unless I could get 256gb+. For me, any less would mean I'd have to worry about primary disk space. I want enough space for the couple of OS X games I have, apps, etc.

I also grabbed an OptiBay caddy for my 7200rpm 500gb drive. Not 100% sure if I want to replace the SuperDrive with a HDD, but the thought of extra space sounds much better than the once-per-month I use my SuperDrive. Anyone have any experience with that?

Also yea I figured why not just go with the drive that Apple provides and supports.

polyh3dron said:
I'm aware of the buyer's guide but I was wondering if anyone had any more info about when the new Mac Pros were coming, they were supposed to come out this month but we've heard nothing for the last month or so.

I think that rumour was hogwash— the next Xeon chips from Intel aren't due out until October, so even if Apple gets them early, as they have a few times in the past, August is probably still too soon.

I've never bought a Mac before, will I be able to just walk into the local Apple store and walk out with a Macbook pro to my specifications?

th3dude

Kitschkraft said:
I've never bought a Mac before, will I be able to just walk into the local Apple store and walk out with a Macbook pro to my specifications?

No, you can walk into an Apple store and buy any of the default configurations. If you want to customize anything at all, you'll have to order from Apple.com (I assume they can order for you in store as well).

See Apple.com for default configurations.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Kitschkraft said:

No, anything other than stock needs to be ordered online.

How long does it usually take to ship?

I'm in a bit of a jam as my classes start on the 29'th, but I won't get my loans until the 19'th.

th3dude

Kitschkraft said:

I'm in a bit of a jam as my classes start on the 29'th, but I won't get my loans until the 19'th.

I think they usually take a few days to build, then they ship.

Ordering on the 19th and needing it for the 29th is cutting it a bit close, but it shouldn't be too far off of that, as long as whatever you're ordering is in stock.

Kitschkraft said:

Just configure the MBP how you want it on Apple.com. Estimated shipping time is displayed right next to the price. Configure to order MBPs usually ship in three days instead of one day.

JackEtc

I've always been a PC guy, never used a Mac, but I'm getting a maxed-out 15" MacBook Pro next summer for college, and I'm already really, really excited.

Thanks guys.

I may end up just getting the standard config anyways. The only thing I was really interested in anyways was getting some more ram. Is added ram even worth it if you're not interested in doing something highly intensive like editing?

JackEtc said:
I've always been a PC guy, never used a Mac, but I'm getting a maxed-out 15" Macbook Pro next summer for college, and I'm already really, really excited.

This is the same boat I'm in now, which is why I want to at least have a couple of days to test it out a bit.

Tobor

Kitschkraft said:
Thanks guys.

I may end up just getting the standard config anyways. The only thing I was really interested in anyways was getting some more ram. Is added ram even worth it if you're not interested in doing something highly intensive like editing?

This is the same boat I'm in now, which is why I want to at least have a couple of days to test it out a bit.

Just RAM? Definitely get one of the standard models. You can always upgrade RAM later yourself.

Kitschkraft said:
Thanks guys.

I may end up just getting the standard config anyways. The only thing I was really interested in anyways was getting some more ram. Is added ram even worth it if you're not interested in doing something highly intensive like editing? .

You can always add more RAM later down the road and with it being as dirt cheap as it is these days I always say that if you're even considering it just fill 'er up and don't look back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sn1pes said:
No, you can walk into an Apple store and buy any of the default configurations. If you want to customize anything at all, you'll have to order from Apple.com (I assume they can order for you in store as well).

See Apple.com for default configurations.

depends what you call 'default'. I bought a 13" MBA with the i7 upgrade which requires you to check one of the radio buttons in the apple store, so thats not really default.

RAM they can fit when you buy too if you like (not that you would, just buy it from crucial afterwards). You'd have to get something like the hires or antiglare screen to require building IMO.

I really know nothing about upgrading. Didn't know it was so cheap and easy.

I'm assuming it doesn't mess with the warranty? Another reason I'm going Mac is because I will be living walking distance from an App store. Reliability is a huge factor (And Macs are already considered highly reliable from what I understand).

th3dude

Kitschkraft said:

I'm assuming it doesn't mess with the warranty? Another reason I'm going Mac is because I will be living walking distance from an App store. Reliability is a huge factor (And Macs are already considered highly reliable from what I understand).

RAM and HDD are user upgradable and do not void warranty. I believe Apple even provides instructions on how to do this. I'm speaking on behalf of the 2011 Macbook Pros here, though.

You just pop off the bottom, which is held on by a dozen or so screws, and you have direct access to RAM and HDD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kitschkraft said:

no, RAM and hard disks are user upgradeable. Buy a kit from crucial for cheap, and stick it in.

JackEtc

Kitschkraft said:
I'm going to end up getting it because I'll be doing a lot of video editing in college (probably going for a Communications major with a concentration in Video & Interactive Media), so they usually recommend Macs.

I'll probably be bringing my PC I built to school with me as well, assuming the desk in my room will fit my monitor and stuff. But I still have a year to figure that all out.

JackEtc said:
I'm going to end up getting it because I'll be doing a lot of video editing in college (probably going for a Communications major with a concentration in Video & Interactive Media), so they usually recommend Macs.

I'll probably be bringing my PC I built to school with me as well, assuming the desk in my room will fit my monitor and stuff. But I still have a year to figure that all out.

If you're not playing games on the PC you could always go the remote desktop route and just use it via the Macbook.

oatmeal

Banned
:lol

I was looking at iMac's in Calgary (my dad is in the market for a used one) and I found this listing:

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/sys/2530664778.html

So my last roommate was a total whore and fucked me over for rent, so now I'm selling her shit because it's past the 1st and legally it's mine. Also my landlord is up my ass for rent money that I don't have thanks to this cunt. This 21.5" iMac is in pretty good condition aside from the fact that it has a little bit of bitch left on it. we were gonna sell it for $500 but the keyboard is kinda fucked and the space bar doesn't work, which is why we took $27 off. What a steal right?! Legit though, it's a good computer and we're not clearing the hard drive so there's probably nudes or some other hilarious shit on it that you can look at. She might have even left her facebook open that you can hack. I also have her clothes so you can probably have some of those as an added bonus too.

*I'll post pictures of it soon*

JackEtc

AbsoluteZero said:
If you're not playing games on the PC you could always go the remote desktop route and just use it via the Macbook.
And there we have it :p

Even if I don't bring that with me, I'd like to bring my [24"] monitor to school, and hook that up to my Macbook when I get it with a keyboard and everything, that would be neat. It'd be sort of a jumble of wires though, since my monitor isn't an Apple Cinema Display....

oatmeal said:
:lol

I was looking at iMac's in Calgary (my dad is in the market for a used one) and I found this listing:

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/sys/2530664778.html
BUY IT.

3N16MA

Banned
Rumor about the Magic Mouse looks like it's false. New product number which lcould mean it's getting an update.

Are there any things I should know about keeping my macbook pro's screen clean and not smudgy? I haven't had a big glass screen like this before, I assume it's less fussy than a normal lcd? Obviously don't touch it, but are there any special things I should be aware of?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm planning on going to the Apple Store tomorrow and picking up a Mac Mini with AMD. I'll be using it as a htpc connected to my TV, which I will mostly use from the couch. I don't know what I should do for inputs besides the harmony one remote I plan on using with XBMC/Plex, which I eventually plan on having just load up from startup. I don't know if I should get a magic trackpad and or apple wireless keyboard, or whether that would just be too expensive.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
polyh3dron said:

Oh, I definitely know that. And I agree with Lion speeding things up. My iMac was getting groggier with each update of Snow Leopard.

Hell, I'm still using this once a month or so:

Picture%203.png

I was given an Apple TV as a gift. I use my PS3 for media streaming right now and I've been basically satisfied. Is there anything the Apple TV can do that my PS3 can't?

numble

opticalmace said:
I was given an Apple TV as a gift. I use my PS3 for media streaming right now and I've been basically satisfied. Is there anything the Apple TV can do that my PS3 can't?
AirPlay videos and some games from iOS devices.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
opticalmace said:

Do you have an ipad?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Welp, bought two MBAs. One 11" for me and one 13" for my gf. It's her only PC so I see why she wanted the 13". Heathen.

How about this, though? I bought her the plastic MB last year for $950 with a free iPod touch. Sold it today for $750. Not bad, huh? Apple's resale is amazing. I may have posted this before but I'm really excited for my MBAs to come in so too bad.

Top Bottom