• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Mobius 1

I need to sell this guy.

ScreenShot2011-08-05at84332PM-1.png

It's in pristine/mint condition and under Applecare until the end of 2012. What should I be asking for?

ngower

Well, I'm doing it: 15" MBP is on ebay, going to go for the MBA. Hopefully I'll get enough to get the top of the line 13" with an upgraded processor, time will tell.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Since were on the topic.. theoretically how much do you guys think this would go for?

uJaMU.png

MBP with 256mb x1600

The case has some pretty significant pitting and a few dents.
I'm not really considering selling it because I want to use it as a media server whenever I do upgrade. But I am curious about a ballpark estimate.

LCfiner

is it pre-unibody? (hence the pitting and dents?)

probably 500 or a bit less. (I went to mac2sell to get an estimate)

ngower

betweenthewheels said:
Is ebay the best way to go about selling a mac?

I've sold computers there before and made a decent chunk of change. Sure, the fees are obnoxious, but Craigslist just creeps me out. Every time I sell something there I get the weirdest people. Some dude talked to me for like thirty minutes once, about his wife and kids and all that jazz...terrifying.

centracore

When upgrading my Apple computers I've always sold them on Craigslist or Kijiji, they're too valuable to chance something stupid happening on eBay. eBay protects the buyer and does almost nothing for the seller, all it takes is some scammer winning your auction and you're out $1000. When selling in person you can turn it on, let them see everything works and if satisfied they'll buy it.

ngower

centracore said:
When upgrading my Apple computers I've always sold them on Craigslist or Kijiji, they're too valuable to chance something stupid happening on eBay. eBay protects the buyer and does almost nothing for the seller, all it takes is some scammer winning your auction and you're out $1000. When selling in person you can turn it on, let them see everything works and if satisfied they'll buy it.

Well I can't really make a sale right there as I'd have to reformat everything and wipe my data. I always insure my packages to insure there's nothing someone can do as I got screwed on a sale once.

ngower said:
Well I can't really make a sale right there as I'd have to reformat everything and wipe my data. I always insure my packages to insure there's nothing someone can do as I got screwed on a sale once.

I guess you'd have to already bought your new mac and migrated your data over. Kinda tough if your relying on the money to fund your new purchase though.

Craigslist seems the easiest way to sell, but i'm weary of the buyers. Maybe i'm too cynical though, heh.

LCfiner

craigslist.

it helps to take decent pics of the thing so the buyer knows it’s a real sale and only accept local pickups.

Hatty

my old clunky chunk of a laptop finally died and was wondering if I should get a 13 inch pro or the air.
I hear the pro has a pretty poor screen resolution, and that the air cannot have its ram upgraded and I'm not sure 4gb will be enough four or five years down the line.
I never use optical media and my laptop doesn't need to be ultraportable.

Jasoco

Banned
The Pro probably won't get a higher resolution until the next update which'll probably be a few months from now. Probably in the late fall sometime.

But if you need more RAM, the Pro is your choice. 4GB is fine now. I have 8, and am kind of disappointed RAM prices didn't come down enough to make Apple offer it as a choice, but I will be able to get by with 4 seeing as the Air is optimized in more places to help with the speed of the machine.

Wads

Banned
onlyindreams said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017HSZWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Getting this thing for $1600 would be an amazing deal, right? My Kindle pumped out a code for 20% off laptops and the macbooks are included. So tempting.

Seems like a good deal in terms of Apple pricing, but I could never get past the apple markup for me. I will probably always be a PC guy at least in these terms of computers. However, I would love to get the iPhone 5 if they would ever fing announce it!!!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kilrogg said:
$600 or $800 model? Impressions so far?
The AMD $800 model. I actually haven't had a chance to open it up yet lol. Plus the server I'm going to use as the back end file server for my media on the Mac Mini still isn't set up yet. I'll probably setup the mini tomorrow, and the things I need to finish my server should be here by Monday or Tuesday hopefully.

This is actually my first Mac too.

Trojita said:
Just picked up a 2011 Mac Mini with AMD.

I did a double-take on this one. I thought Apple had switched processors and I didn't notice.

Edit: Girlfriend's gonna be returning the 250GB Firewire drive I gave her when I bought a FW800 1TB drive since she's not using it. Think I'll dump my iTunes over to free up some space on my startup drive.

Edit: Although fuck me I'm gonna have to buy a 400-800 cable.

woolley

Has anyone else had problems with macbook chargers? I've recently had my 3rd one in a year and a half break at the connection point and I'm probably going to have to get a fourth one (hopefully it's covered by the insurance).

Jasoco

Banned
woolley said:
Has anyone else had problems with macbook chargers? I've recently had my 3rd one in a year and a half break at the connection point and I'm probably going to have to get a fourth one (hopefully it's covered by the insurance).
You mean when the rubber splits and it starts twisting up? Yeah, mine did that. The guy said it wasn't covered even though it was normal wear and tear. And it's ALL APPLE'S FAULT ANYWAY!

They decided to stop using "stress reducers" at the ends of the cables because they thought they didn't look nice. My two iDevice cables are starting to do the same thing too.

I had to switch to my old 2007 MacBook power supply with the old style white straight out cable design because my new 2010 supply with the right angle metal connector decided to split itself. The only problem is the old power supply gets much hotter when not in use.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
MBA, SSD owner

How worried should I be about my data on an SSD? There's no platter hard drive that could fail. Is hard drive failure, data corruption, etc. an issue with an SSD?

Draft

Bboy AJ said:
MBA, SSD owner

How worried should I be about my data on an SSD? There's no platter hard drive that could fail. Is hard drive failure, data corruption, etc. an issue with an SSD?
All data that is valuable should be backed up. Especially valuable data should be backed up twice. This is true if the data is being stored on a HDD, SSD, thumb drive, tape reel or SD card.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just got a thick black line across the corner of my Macbook (standard white) as well as a bunch of vertical colored lines. Anyone had this problem? I can take a picture if necessary (doesn't show up on screenshot).

Edit: Nevermind, cracked my screen. Well that ruined my day.

ismaboof

My 2008 20" iMac's 500gb hard drive is starting to fail. Anyone know a ballpark amount on how much it would cost for the Apple Store to replace it? I don't have Applecare.

3N16MA

Banned
ismaboof said:
My 2008 20" iMac's 500gb hard drive is starting to fail. Anyone know a ballpark amount on how much it would cost for the Apple Store to replace it? I don't have Applecare.

You could use a guide on ifixit if you're up to doing it yourself.

I think I may buy a new macbook pro next year if I have the money. Mac2sell says mine is worth $660 and I also have applecare so I should be able to get more.

FWIW...the SSD is going to be reliable in that you can move the laptop around, hell, type while skydiving if you really wanted. But it's not immune to other types of failures, namely circuit damage, busted controllers, catastrophic cell failures, and some other stuff we just haven't seen yet .Typical Hard Drives have some very obvious drawbacks but we have 30 years of data and refinement in terms of how and when they fail. We're still learning that for SSDs.

So basically, dropping your laptop (probably) won't kill the data. But bad voltage or manufacturing defects could.

(Of course, you could have your data etched on a failproof micro-diamond and any engineer would still recommend you keep backups...)

Ken

My pre-unibody Macbook Pro that I bought for school died on me about a year ago and I just remembered it again after seeing some videos of the new MBA. I took it to my school's computer store and they told me the mother board (logic board?) died and would cost them about $600 to fix it. Thought it was pretty pricey and told them I'd think about it.

What are my options to get the MBP back up and running? I don't have Apple Care and I think the warranty expired a while ago. I'd like to just format the hard drive and start over so I can give it to a relative so I don't care about the contents on the HD (already backed up on an external).

LCfiner

Ken said:
My pre-unibody Macbook Pro that I bought for school died on me about a year ago and I just remembered it again after seeing some videos of the new MBA. I took it to my school's computer store and they told me the mother board (logic board?) died and would cost them about $600 to fix it. Thought it was pretty pricey and told them I'd think about it.

What are my options to get the MBP back up and running? I don't have Apple Care and I think the warranty expired a while ago. I'd like to just format the hard drive and start over so I can give it to a relative so I don't care about the contents on the HD (already backed up on an external).

um... if your motherboard is dead then your option is to get your motherboard replaced.

formatting the hard drive won’t fix a fried motherboard.

am I missing something?

Ken

LCfiner said:
am I missing something?

I meant should I take it to an Apple Store (will it be cheaper, etc,.),is my 'Apple certified' computer store at school good enough, or is it something I can buy the parts for and replace it myself.

Cracked screen here. What are my best options? I've looked at various sites, most of the costs range from $200-300. I could also try to do it myself for much cheaper, but it looks pretty difficult.

SeanR1221

Mac2sell isn't always the best. They will buy my MacBook for 350.00, when Best Buy will give me 600 and ebay prices are around 750.00

LCfiner

Ken said:
I meant should I take it to an Apple Store (will it be cheaper, etc,.),is my 'Apple certified' computer store at school good enough, or is it something I can buy the parts for and replace it myself.

Price would probably be in the same ballpark at an Apple store but I think you should go there anyway to make sure (and because I suspect you'll get better service there than at the school store if you do go through with the replacement.)

but my opinion is that for 600 bucks or so, that money would be better off going toward a new machine.

Ken

LCfiner said:
but my opinion is that for 600 bucks or so, that money would be better off going toward a new machine.

I was thinking the same thing. Guess I'll think of something to do with the MBP later.

How well are the current Macbooks suited for gaming? I really like the aesthetics of Apple's machines and OS but I really disliked always resorting to a Windows virtual machine to do any gaming on.

LCfiner

Ken said:
I was thinking the same thing. Guess I'll think of something to do with the MBP later.

How well are the current Macbooks suited for gaming? I really like the aesthetics of Apple's machines and OS but I really disliked always resorting to a Windows virtual machine to do any gaming on.

not the best. a high end 15” Macbook Pro has a pretty decent GPU but that will cost you a ton of cash. over 2 grand

the lower end models (read: less than $1500) have integrated intel 3000 gfx so they’re not that great.

and you wouldn’t want to go the VM route to do any gaming on recent titles. you’d want to bootcamp to get the most out of the hardware.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I have a plan at my job that I can choose a tech item and they will break it down cost wise over the year... I want a new comp and cant decide what to do. I have an IPAD2 but want something to do design work and all. I like the look of the iMac is the intro one good enough for photoshop and all of that? I am not big into Video games on a comp. Also would I be better off getting a macbook air or whatever? I guess I just want to get the right product.

Man, my home computer is the '07 iMac that was the first aluminum model and hanging out in this thread makes it feel old. Not planning on upgrading for a few years still but it always so tempting. And still rocking my old white Macbook as well but that's about to give up one of these days. Had to replace the battery twice and yeah, it's getting worn out.

I do kind of want to upgrade my Macbook to a MBP or an Air but I just don't know what I would want. Editing on the go would be nice when I'm away from work where I use a Mac Pro but the Air has the higher resolution and is just oh so nice.

Just noticed Amazon dropped the price of the Kanex XD to $96.87. It coincided nicely with my Amazon Prime trial eligibility coming up, so bought'd. Will be arriving Tuesday. Excited.

3N16MA said:
You could use a guide on ifixit if you're up to doing it yourself.

HD replacement in an iMac really isn't for the faint of heart. I would suggest looking for a nearby independent authorized repair place, which would probably be much cheaper than going to an Apple store, since it's really just one hour's labor. Esp. if you come in with a HD to swap it out with.

Can't stress enough how much of a bitch the replacement job can be. Also requires quite a bit of precise materials to purchase you probably don't already have.

In about three hours I'll have my new MBP! Any free apps or other things I should download when I get it? I'm a Mac noob, so forgive the question.

shuri

Banned
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 12TB netgear NAS; thing is, I'm thinking about using some of the space to backup my imac (which I use to dj, so i tons of legit music). The thing is, I know that the timemachine backup process insists on using an entire drive for itself.. Anyone has any kind of experience with using a NAS for automated timemachine backups without dedicating an entire drive to it?

Top Bottom