• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TxdoHawk

I remember at some point, the smaller iMacs had noticeably worse displays compared to their larger cousins. Is this still the case? I've got an MBP now, but my desktop is dying...building a new PC to my liking vs. selling my monitors and getting a base model 21.5 would end up setting me back fairly close to the same amount.

Jasoco

Banned
Jme said:
I have a 15" 2.53GHz i5 and it runs a fuckload cooler than my previous Core Duo 2.0 Glossy

I can't give exact temps or anything, but lets just say, the core duo's heat could be felt through the wood on the underside of my desk, and my new one is warm to the touch on bare skin. And only in the back corner (where the logic board is), the other 3/4 of the bottom of it are room temp. And the top side (keyboard area) is room temp as well.
That's cool. (No pun intended) My Pro also runs super hot not long after waking it up and starting to use it. I can feel the heat when I put my hand on the metal area above the keyboard and even there it gets really hot.

T-Matt

Why is it that no one else seems to be able to get aluminum the quality apple has on their products? Is Stark making the stuff?

3N16MA

Banned
T-Matt said:
Why is it that no one else seems to be able to get aluminum the quality apple has on their products? Is Stark making the stuff?

Apple created Iron Man.

Yhpsk.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
T-Matt said:
They never will now, seems laptop makers are moving to fiber glass in their ultraportables because Apple has taken most of the supply.

Jasoco

Banned
First you get the Aluminum.

Then you get the Power.

Then you get the Women.

He who controls the Aluminum flow, controls the universe.

TxdoHawk

Jasoco said:
Of course I'm using a C2D. Do the i5's and i7's have cooler running temperatures?

At least with the MBP's, based off what I dug up in research: The 2010 i5's/i7's ran reasonably, but the 2011 Sandy Bridge models apparently run noticeably hotter, or at least the initial batch manufactured did.

I never really found out how much of the problem was poor thermal paste application with the first batch of laptops (apparently an issue), and how much was newer i5's/i7's inherently running hotter, instead I bought a refurb 2010 i5 15" MBP and never looked back. I don't have any major complaints about heat, but this is also my first MBP, so I don't have any reasonable way to compare.

Anyway, with those tiny cases (the 11" Air especially) I'd worry about heat myself.

Ydahs

I pretty clueless when it comes to Macs so can someone give me a hand. How much will a MacBook cost second hand? From what i gather, it's discontinued? Tired of being able to develop only my Mac Mini. Need some portability... Will it be enough to run Lion and Xcode efficiently? Can it also dual boot Window?

My budget is around $700 at the moment, so if there's another better option I'd go for that.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, these aren't Pro's. They're Air's and use a lower power lower speed processor.

Hopefully when I go to check them out in the store I'll be able to run some apps to test the heat. They probably have some FCP and Aperture installed or something.

Jasoco

Banned
What is it? Looks like it lets you plug your consoles into your Mac? Is it USB based or does it use the input capability of the video ports?

Jasoco said:
Well, these aren't Pro's. They're Air's and use a lower power lower speed processor.

Hopefully when I go to check them out in the store I'll be able to run some apps to test the heat. They probably have some FCP and Aperture installed or something.
If you'd like an app that can test without installation, let me know.

Jasoco said:
What is it? Looks like it lets you plug your consoles into your Mac? Is it USB based or does it use the input capability of the video ports?

The MiniDisplay port on the 2009 and 2010 iMac was designed with dual functionality. Not only can you use it to output video to another display or TV but it was also designed so that you could plug a Macbook into it to use the iMac as a display itself.

The Kanex XD allows you to use the iMac as a display for any HDMI-enabled device.

CNET Review Here

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
If you'd like an app that can test without installation, let me know.
Explain. Obviously they wouldn't want me installing anything. But if I explained to them what I wanted to do seeing as I will definitely be giving them my money, I just want to know what I am getting first, I would like something to help test good.

Jasoco

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
okay Apple hardware fans, my MacBook Pro lost one of its black rubber footsies where can I get a replacement?

kthx
Have you tried, I dunno, taking it to some kind of store where they sell Apple products? I dunno, like some sort of Apple store or something.

The XD works like a charm.

Excuse the shiftiness of this picture. I had to sure HDR mode to make sure I could get the computer and the screen all in the same shot.

gUit9.jpg

I need to find a better way to rig this up though. I'm thinking of setting the 360 on the floor next to the desk on a wood block so it's not right up against the carpet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My MBA has shipped from Amazon. Should get here in two days.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Can you choose your OS on startup if you're using the Mac wireless keyboard? I just saw a video where the guy said that you can't use the Alt key when you turn your Mac on if your keyboard is wireless.

3N16MA

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
The XD works like a charm.

Excuse the shiftiness of this picture. I had to sure HDR mode to make sure I could get the computer and the screen all in the same shot.

gUit9.jpg

I need to find a better way to rig this up though. I'm thinking of setting the 360 on the floor next to the desk on a wood block so it's not right up against the carpet.

The iMac makes a pretty nice display on it's own.

Dumb question, but I recently bought the Logitech Z323 2.1 speakers for my iMac. Now that my music (or playlists) is mostly on my iPhone and I have it connected to the iMac, I always have the problem that there are lots of interferences going over the speakers. What can I do without going into airplane mode with my iPhone? And why do I need to hook up the speakers to the iMac via the microfone in?

noah111

Still Alive
3N16MA said:
The iMac makes a pretty nice display on it's own.
Yeah, speaking of which how much are the Apple Displays right now? Basically look like a iMac with no chin, correct? I would love to get one to make my MBP a desktop Mac when needed.

ok macgaf i gave in and bought a MBA 13". is there a way to change the gestures? i want scrolling to go the other way. and changing cmd+c (or v) is way to near. i already hate it *smileythatshakesfist*

oh no wait i like it a lot. the hardware is excellent and the auto correct feature is quite good. if i throw win7 on that thing can i still use the gestures?

KanyeEast

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Just popping in to say that Magic Trackpads are a gift from the heavens.
This. Honestly the trackpad is a gift from gods to steve jobs(and to us). Whenever i have discussion with someone that mac is expensive i say the trackpad is more than worth all the extra money. I don't know what a mouse is anymore.

3N16MA

Banned
Sentry said:
Yeah, speaking of which how much are the Apple Displays right now? Basically look like a iMac with no chin, correct? I would love to get one to make my MBP a desktop Mac when needed.

$999. Bascially an iMac without the chin and thinner.

7LoIC.jpg

bbagwell

I just received an 8GB Corsair ram upgrade for $49 from Amazon and dropped it into slots 3 and 4 in my iMac (quad core i5, Lion). This thing is a beast with 12 GB.

noah111

Still Alive
3N16MA said:
$999. Bascially an iMac without the chin and thinner.

http://i.imgur.com/7LoIC.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Jesus that's beautiful.. exactly what I want, anyone have it/give impressions? Is $999 too much, how much cheeper could I get with a different monitor with the same quality?

Jasoco

Banned
egemenay said:
This. Honestly the trackpad is a gift from gods to steve jobs(and to us). Whenever i have discussion with someone that mac is expensive i say the trackpad is more than worth all the extra money. I don't know what a mouse is anymore.
This. I never would have thought when they introduced it (At the time I still had a crappy old button-based trackpad) that I would love it so much. It was not the reason I bought my MacBook Pro, but it is the reason I will never use a mouse again. Even if I went back to desktops, I would still spend the $70 to use a trackpad instead of spending that on a Logitech mouse or something.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, I got the MM and ended up reverting back to the trackpad. I'll use the MM when I get a desktop/display, but even then i'm thinking of buying the solo trackpad as well.

Better Touch Tool is a godsend, I have so many fuckin' gestures, I would die if I lost them some how.

Sentry said:
Jesus that's beautiful.. exactly what I want, anyone have it/give impressions? Is $999 too much, how much cheeper could I get with a different monitor with the same quality?

I rock the 24" LED Cinema Display with 15" MBP combo and it is gorgeous. The only thing that really pisses me off is that the cable you connect to your MBP is too short. Otherwise it is pretty much perfect. You connect all your stuff like external hard drives, printers and iPhone dock with your display and only connect three cables to your MBP once your home and want to work at your desk. Even power for the MBP comes from the display so you can leave the power adapter in your bag.

About the price. The 27" Apple display looks really pricey at first, but if you want to buy a comparable display with the same resolution from another brand, you will pay pretty much the same if not more. And that display won't look as classy as the Apple display and it will certainly not work that well with your MBP.

noah111

Still Alive
Benjamin1981 said:
I rock the 24" LED Cinema Display with 15" MBP combo and it is gorgeous. The only thing that really pisses me off is that the cable you connect to your MBP is too short. Otherwise it is pretty much perfect. You connect all your stuff like external hard drives, printers and iPhone dock with your display and only connect three cables to your MBP once your home and want to work at your desk. Even power for the MBP comes from the display so you can leave the power adapter in your bag.

About the price. The 27" Apple display looks really pricey at first, but if you want to buy a comparable display with the same resolution from another brand, you will pay pretty much the same if not more. And that display won't look as classy as the Apple display and it will certainly not work that well with your MBP.
Niiiice, did not know that. We're not expecting any refresh anytime soon, are we (thunderbolt or whatever the fuck)?

If not, I will probably buy the 27", even if it were more expensive than a different display, the integration with the MBP, which is what I am buying it for, is too good to pass up.

Also interested in the thing AbsoluteZero posted too, would that work with the displays as well?

Sentry said:
Niiiice, did not know that. We're not expecting any refresh anytime soon, are we (thunderbolt or whatever the fuck)?

Already happened, when they upgraded the MacBook Airs and Minis and released Lion. Single Thunderbolt connection provides: Thunderbolt, 3x USB2, FW800, GigE, webcam, and speakers.

Only works with TB equipped Macs.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, the new ATD makes me jealous that I still have the original 20" aluminum ACD with FireWire 400 and USB2 and DVI. I can connect it with an adapter, but damn is it old. Bought it when I bought my original G4 mini in 2005. $1000. No camera. No speakers. No LED display. No glossy. No Thunderbolt. No FireWire 800. And what the hell? It even has Ethernet. Geeze.

Anecdote, when I went in to buy my 20" ACD and mini, I actually contemplated buying the previous generation ORIGINAL style plastic G3 iMac style design model. It was 20" and the same resolution, but about $200 cheaper. Also, the new Thunderbolt display is 10 pounds heavier than my 2005 model? (According to MacTracker the 2005 20" was 14 pounds.)

noah111

Still Alive
CrudeDiatribe said:
Already happened, when they upgraded the MacBook Airs and Minis and released Lion. Single Thunderbolt connection provides: Thunderbolt, 3x USB2, FW800, GigE, webcam, and speakers.

Only works with TB equipped Macs.
Jesus, had no idea what Thunderbolt was yet, believe it or not. That's pretty fucking amazing, would it work as a connector to hard drives? Would it be as fast as firewire via transfer to external HDDs?

[EDIT] Also, do the new MBPs have an ethernet port still? I am thinking about upgrading but without that, I can't use it at my local internet cafes (no wifi, believe it).

Sentry said:
Jesus, had no idea what Thunderbolt was yet, believe it or not. That's pretty fucking amazing, would it work as a connector to hard drives? Would it be as fast as firewire via transfer to external HDDs?

[EDIT] Also, do the new MBPs have an ethernet port still? I am thinking about upgrading but without that, I can't use it at my local internet cafes (no wifi, believe it).

2011 MBPs come with an ethernet port. Might be the last because there are rumors that Apple will make the MBPs as slim as the Airs in the next update.

If you upgrade to a 2011 MBP be sure to buy the Thunderbolt display to go with it. You probably want a Thunderbolt external hard drive when they become available later this year. Speed-wise external hard-drives with Thunderbolt will blow everything away, even Firewire 800. And you can connect them through the display to your MBP.

teamaxe

CrudeDiatribe said:

I can't believe that I missed this. Wow. That's freaking awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, I'll be. My fourth and final rubber foot has finally fallen off my MacBook Pro. This time I don't know where it is. I'll probably find it while I'm cleaning up to move. Then I'll just superglue them all back on.

Also, the MBP's all have Gigabit Ethernet already, so that port on the display would, well, it'd still be useful actually. You can keep the display plugged into ethernet. Can OS X switch to Ethernet automatically when it is connected to one? Last time I tried, it kept using Airport even if I moved Ethernet to the top of the priority list. But really, the Ethernet port on the display is more a benefit to the Air's which don't have one at all. Who knows if they'll even drop it from the Pro's in the future as they streamline their models to be more like the Air's. Because the Air is the future of notebooks.

Sentry said:
Jesus, had no idea what Thunderbolt was yet, believe it or not. That's pretty fucking amazing, would it work as a connector to hard drives?

Yeah, it'll do external HDDs, but the available enclosures aren't cheap, as they're all multi-disk hardware RAID enclosures. Apple sells a Promise 4TB (4x1TB) enclosure for $1000.

Sentry said:
Would it be as fast as firewire via transfer to external HDDs?

FW800 is 800mb/s; TB is 10,000mb/s. Twice. Bidirectional.

Thunderbolt is external PCIe, so I think there's a good chance we'll see external video cards using it. Before you get too excited, I think it's only PCIe 4x, rather than 16x or even 8x.

Tedesco! said:
Hopefully the Mac pros will be getting this update soon. I tire of working with this '05 iMac!

It'd be nice if there was an add-on card for it, but I'm not holding my breath (Mac Pro 1,1 here).

Jasoco said:
Can OS X switch to Ethernet automatically when it is connected to one? Last time I tried, it kept using Airport even if I moved Ethernet to the top of the priority list.

I'd hope so. Maybe I'll test it at home if I think of it.

I always thought the cinema display was about a hundred or so bucks less than the iMac, and never understood why people would buy them over just getting another iMac. I guess the price difference is bigger than I thought. Still too pricey for me, though.

CrudeDiatribe said:
Yeah, it'll do external HDDs, but the available enclosures aren't cheap, as they're all multi-disk hardware RAID enclosures. Apple sells a Promise 4TB (4x1TB) enclosure for $1000.

Lacie has a variety of LittleBigDisks announced. So there a cheaper solutions than those 1000 dollar raids.

brianmcdoogle said:
I always thought the cinema display was about a hundred or so bucks less than the iMac, and never understood why people would buy them over just getting another iMac. I guess the price difference is bigger than I thought. Still too pricey for me, though.

I've had a 17" LCD for over seven years. Cost me $800. Bought a 24" Dell five years ago for $800 and it's still going strong. No reason to think this wouldn't last as long. Use it with multiple computers. Besides, I don't think the iMac owner/buyer is the intended audience.

CrudeDiatribe said:
I've had a 17" LCD for over seven years. Cost me $800. Bought a 24" Dell five years ago for $800 and it's still going strong. No reason to think this wouldn't last as long. Use it with multiple computers. Besides, I don't think the iMac owner/buyer is the intended audience.
yea, it's pretty rare for a monitor to die.

Jasoco

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
Lacie has a variety of LittleBigDisks announced. So there a cheaper solutions than those 1000 dollar raids.
I don't trust LaCie as far as I can throw them. I used to buy only LaCie. Every single drive died.

I switched to Western Digital's Essentials (After using MyBook's before they started putting proprietary firmeware on them) and they're all still working like a charm.

I recommend Western Digital whenever possible.

Though, hard drives vary. As will your milage.

Jasoco said:
I don't trust LaCie as far as I can throw them. I used to buy only LaCie. Every single drive died.

I switched to Western Digital's Essentials (After using MyBook's before they started putting proprietary firmeware on them) and they're all still working like a charm.

I recommend Western Digital whenever possible.

Though, hard drives vary. As will your milage.

I was just giving an example for a cheaper solution. But i'm sure Western Digital will put Thunderbolt on their hard drives too.

Oyashiro

Where can I find some good impressions/reviews of the new MBAs? I sold my old laptop and am currently trying to decide whether to buy a secondhand MBP of a new MBA

Tedesco!

I understand that. I work for a university, and we've been delaying our purchase for over 6 months now. The people in charge don't want to wait any longer, so we were told to purchase our Macs now. I'm ok with it. It is no fun editing HD video on an '05 iMac.

Top Bottom