• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Mini M2 or iMac M3? Poll.

Mac Mini M2 or iMac M3?

• iMac M3 with 8GB ram

• Mac Mini M2 with 8GB ram

• iMac M1 with 16GB ram

• Mac Mini M2 Pro with 16GB ram

Results are only viewable after voting.

David B

An Idiot
I should also note I have parallels 19 already ordered and have a one year subsription to it. So I should have 16GB ram right?

Quasicat

It looks like you want to game on it, so yes you would probably want to get the M2 pro with 16gb of RAM. I bought the non-pro version last year primarily as a Plex server and it works for what I need. If I were gaming on it, I would have upgraded.

David B

An Idiot
It looks like you want to game on it, so yes you would probably want to get the M2 pro with 16gb of RAM. I bought the non-pro version last year primarily as a Plex server and it works for what I need. If I were gaming on it, I would have upgraded.
Nah. I'm a console gamer. Plus I really hate Windows now after what Satya Nadella said about white people. Racist bastard he is. I use to use Parallels 19 on a Mac of another person and it actually ran fine on there 8GB iMac M3. But overall I don't really like Linux either, so 8GB ram will be fine actually. Also here's why I came up why I'd rather want the iMac M3 overall even if it's with 8GB ram.
Ok, well I've come up with my own comparison for this. I know a lot of people sleep normal at say anytime from 9PM to 12PM. But this is my own comparison of why I think the iMac is overall better. Mac Mini Pros
1.Has 2 USB-A 3.0 inputs and 2 thunderbolt 4/USB-C inputs.
2. Is cheapest.
Cons
1. You have to buy external monitor also, making it harder to set up.
2. You have to hook up external camera as well.
3. Setting it up is more work as first you unbox the Mac Mini, hook it up to thepower cable. You have to take out the monitor display box, take the two boards out of it, unpack every item, take the protector off of the display, attach the feet, put the display up, attach the HDMI cable to the display and the mac mini, also put in the power cable for the display, put in the USB of the camera into the mac mini, set it up top the monitor and adjust it to your height. You also have to set up speakers and plug them in to the mac mini, way too much work!
4. iMovie doesn't allow camera support to use it in the mac mini. Only the iMac, Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro allow the use of apple's included camera. With the mac mini you first have to capture video with photo booth app and than drag and drop that video into iMovie. Again, more work. iMac Pros 1. It's all in one design, just take it out of box, along with keyboard and mouse, plug it in and done. 2. It allows the use of the camera in iMovie. Cons 1. Need USB-c to USB-A adaptor for external HDD backup.

phant0m

Nah. I'm a console gamer. Plus I really hate Windows now after what Satya Nadella said about white people. Racist bastard he is. I use to use Parallels 19 on a Mac of another person and it actually ran fine on there 8GB iMac M3. But overall I don't really like Linux either, so 8GB ram will be fine actually. Also here's why I came up why I'd rather want the iMac M3 overall even if it's with 8GB ram.
Ok, well I've come up with my own comparison for this. I know a lot of people sleep normal at say anytime from 9PM to 12PM. But this is my own comparison of why I think the iMac is overall better. Mac Mini Pros
2. Is cheapest.
Cons
3. Setting it up is more work as first you unbox the Mac Mini, hook it up to thepower cable. You have to take out the monitor display box, take the two boards out of it, unpack every item, take the protector off of the display, attach the feet, put the display up, attach the HDMI cable to the display and the mac mini, also put in the power cable for the display, put in the USB of the camera into the mac mini, set it up top the monitor and adjust it to your height. You also have to set up speakers and plug them in to the mac mini, way too much work!
4. iMovie doesn't allow camera support to use it in the mac mini. Only the iMac, Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro allow the use of apple's included camera. With the mac mini you first have to capture video with photo booth app and than drag and drop that video into iMovie. Again, more work. iMac Pros 1. It's all in one design, just take it out of box, along with keyboard and mouse, plug it in and done. 2. It allows the use of the camera in iMovie. Cons 1. Need USB-c to USB-A adaptor for external HDD backup.

Gotta say my dude, hooking up a monitor and webcam being “too much work” is not a take I ever though I’d see on here.

Also, creating a poll for “what should I buy” and then choosing the option that got 0 votes is pretty wild. Obviously you already decided you want the iMac but the mental gymnastics are pretty wild here.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Of those options, M2 Pro with 16GB, 100%.

Do not fall for the unified memory is magic dreamland which makes RAM irrelevant crowd. I've been there. If you use a lot of RAM, you still run out and swap is still orders of magnitude slower (see access times, not peak sequential reads), no getting around that.

M2 Pro is also more powerful on multicore and the GPU.

Not really a fan of the new iMac and it shoes you in to a set screen size and multi monitor is awkward on it, with the Mac mini you can add whatever

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Well thanks for voting guys. I haven't really decided yet, I keep going back and forth. I don't know what to do really. I hate Windows because of Satya Nadella racist comments of saying we pay more to our employees of color and saying we hire less than 50% white men. So overall I gotta say Satya Nadella is racist. But I don't like the dock and menu bar of Mac OS, I just can't stand it as it's more work to get things done like closing an app requires to close from the menu bar, the dock doesn't take the full left to right like the taskbar in windows. So yeah, I'm stuck and like I hate Windows and Mac now. Windows is a great interface but after what Satya Nadella said on March 29th, 2024, I really hate Microsoft. I just sold an iMac M3 about 2 weeks ago because I hate the dock and the menu bar like I said. So now I don't know where the hell to go. I suppose I could switch to Linux OS type like Ubuntu or Fedora or Zorin but I hate terminal commands install stuff, that stuff is freaky odd to me. So overall I don't know where to go anymore.

David B

An Idiot
I also forgot something else to add. I bought an LG 4K 27 inch monitor last year in August and I totally forgot about it and I bought a Mac Mini M2 8GB ram 256GB SSD with it. I totally forgot I even had that. Yes I know I buy too much.

LordOfChaos

Well thanks for voting guys. I haven't really decided yet, I keep going back and forth. I don't know what to do really. I hate Windows because of Satya Nadella racist comments of saying we pay more to our employees of color and saying we hire less than 50% white men. So overall I gotta say Satya Nadella is racist. But I don't like the dock and menu bar of Mac OS, I just can't stand it as it's more work to get things done like closing an app requires to close from the menu bar, the dock doesn't take the full left to right like the taskbar in windows. So yeah, I'm stuck and like I hate Windows and Mac now. Windows is a great interface but after what Satya Nadella said on March 29th, 2024, I really hate Microsoft. I just sold an iMac M3 about 2 weeks ago because I hate the dock and the menu bar like I said. So now I don't know where the hell to go. I suppose I could switch to Linux OS type like Ubuntu or Fedora or Zorin but I hate terminal commands install stuff, that stuff is freaky odd to me. So overall I don't know where to go anymore.

You are...Certainly interesting

This was part of their pay equity report, and even in the breitbart reporting trying to pump it up, says people of color make $1.007 in total pay for every $1 white employees earn. As pay gaps go, this is damn near equal, we're talking under a penny's difference. When correcting 20, 30% gaps, they came damn close, and were that ratio flipped it would be no news at all and considered that they brought things to equal.

Last edited:

phant0m

You are...Certainly interesting

This was part of their pay equity report, and even in the breitbart reporting trying to pump it up, says people of color make $1.007 in total pay for every $1 white employees earn. As pay gaps go, this is damn near equal, we're talking under a penny's difference. When correcting 20, 30% gaps, they came damn close, and were that ratio flipped it would be no news at all and considered that they brought things to equal.
This thread sure has been a ride lol

LordOfChaos

Yeah I am. I have too much debt from that.

Have you...Ever had problems with impulsivity? 😅

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Have you...Ever had problems with impulsivity? 😅

Yes I'm trying to get over that. I have noticed fully that I've become an over spender. I don't know what to do anymore. I've gone back and forth between Mac and PC over 15 times now. So I'm just stopping myself from doing so again. I just need to settle and stop buying again and again and again.

David B

An Idiot
M2 Pro should be fine, just stay away from 8GB of RAM that you cannot upgrade. 16GB should be the base minimum these days.
So I'm going to ask you yourself. Should I buy iMac M1 with 16GB ram or Mac Mini M2 Pro with 16GB ram? Note I have an LG 4K 27 inch monitor to use with the Mac Mini as well as a 1080p logitech camera to capture video in photo booth and than drag to edit in iMovie.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So I'm going to ask you yourself. Should I buy iMac M1 with 16GB ram or Mac Mini M2 Pro with 16GB ram? Note I have an LG 4K 27 inch monitor to use with the Mac Mini as well as a 1080p logitech camera to capture video in photo booth and than drag to edit in iMovie.

Aren't the poll results clear enough for you?

David B

An Idiot
Despite the results I already came up with a notepad of why like the iMac the most. Read...
But this is my own comparison of why I think the iMac is overall better.
Mac Mini Pros
2. Is cheapest.
Cons
4. iMovie doesn't allow camera support to use it in the mac mini. Only the iMac, Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro allow the use of apple's included camera. With the mac mini you first have to capture video with photo booth app and than drag and drop that video into iMovie. Again, more work.

iMac Pros 1. It's all in one design, just take it out of box, along with keyboard and mouse, plug it in and done. 2. It allows the use of the camera in iMovie. Cons 1. Need USB-C to USB-A adaptor.

Mac Studio Pros 1. Lots of inputs. Cons 1.Cost way too much at start of $2000 or $1800 refurbished.

Macbook Pro Pros 1. Has built in camera for easy iMovie use and all in one. Cons 1. Has battery that dies after 1000 charges. 2. Small screen I really don't like. 3. Bigger price

Macbook Air Pros 1. It's all in one and built in camera. Cons 1. Has battery that dies after 1000 charges. 2. Small screen I really don't like. 3. Bigger price

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
After switching to am M chip/arm Mac, I would not recommend it if you are a) using a lot ob USB devices and b) if you use Logic, with lots of plug-ins.

The M1 macs have a huge problem with USB connectivity and Logic needs to run in Rosetta mode to be able to handle most plug ins. Learning and living with this was/is such a let down.

David B

An Idiot
After switching to am M chip/arm Mac, I would not recommend it if you are a) using a lot ob USB devices and b) if you use Logic, with lots of plug-ins.

The M1 macs have a huge problem with USB connectivity and Logic needs to run in Rosetta mode to be able to handle most plug ins. Learning and living with this was/is such a let down.
Hmm. Well I don't really use a lot of USB devices or logic. I had 2 iMac M1s. Had some issues of the Apple keyboard and apple mouse disconnecting at first, but after the 3rd or 4th system update it really fixed it for me back then like 2 years ago.

David B

An Idiot
I'm guessing most voted for the Mac Mini M2 Pro because it has more CPU cores and more GPU cores count. Where as the iMac M1 is more nice, but it has less cores.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
M3 Mac Mini is likely to launch soon, so I would wait on that. If you could hold off until Black Friday, even better.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Your problem is you are trying to save money, so you have lots of similar options that are confusing. You need to ask yourself, which configuration would I be happy with regardless of price, then buy that and be happy.

Top Bottom