• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ive been thinking about getting a macbook recently (macbook pro 15").

Should i go with macbook pro 2011 or 2012? Is the 2012 version really an upgrade or will i be fine with the 2011 one? Thanks in advance.

You should be fine. The 2012 features the minor upgrades you'd expect with any yearly iteration but I honestly can't think of any situation where you'd have an 11 and go "man, I really wish I had bought the 12"

EDIT: If you can get a savings that is. If its like a $50 difference go for the 12

my mac on Lion felt so bloated, at brand new it was fast but over time it got really sluggish. Though with that said, after updating to Mountain Lion it runs as if it were brand new again! I like all the extra polish they added, it's very enjoyable :)

giga

Rarely, but sometimes they do. Most big things from ML are security related, and Safari should be constantly updated just like Chrome and Firefox.

I own a Mac, love it, but paying for ML kinda sucks.
Right--"rarely". So it's not the norm for a service pack.

For kicks, which service packs do you propose has as much changes as ML? XP had one SP which was fairly large in comparison to past service packs, but nothing on the whole as big as any major OS X update.

LeleSocho

Banned

Should i go with macbook pro 2011 or 2012? Is the 2012 version really an upgrade or will i be fine with the 2011 one? Thanks in advance.

I have a late 2011 15 pro and even if i don't have any problem with it i suggest the 2012 version because of the usb3 that will be more future proof.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
My late 2006 iMac has too weak a GPU to run this. I'm just hoping they're releasing new ones tomorrow.

Magnus

you will change your tune once you've used it.

It's a speed increase akin to doubling your RAM and overclocking your processor.
... without actually doing so, you know.

my mac on Lion felt so bloated, at brand new it was fast but over time it got really sluggish. Though with that said, after updating to Mountain Lion it runs as if it were brand new again! I like all the extra polish they added, it's very enjoyable :)

Good lord I hope you're all right. Lion runs like shit on this MBP (2010)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Mountain lion looks very cool. Cant wait to try it out on my mac in the future.
Let Anandtech be your guide.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6037/the-2012-macbook-pro-review

Personally, I'd get as new as I can because it would be obsolete a bit later than the previous one. But the improvements in that particular model aren't as huge as the jump from 2010 to 2011.

Peterthumpa

Right--"rarely". So it's not the norm for a service pack.

For kicks, which service packs do you propose has as much changes as ML? XP had one SP which was fairly large in comparison to past service packs, but nothing on the whole as big as any major OS X update.

To tell you the truth, none. I'm just saying that ML is more a "Service Pack" than a new OS version.

To tell you the truth, none. I'm just saying that ML is more a "Service Pack" than a new OS version.

nope.

I'd say it's more like an "expansion pack", than a "service pack". Service Packs usually just clean up/fix broken shit. This adds several new, meaningful features.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Not really interested in anything besides Reminders, but I'm really excited for Reminders. I hate using Wunderlist.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But you'd still be wrong. OS X and Windows are different beasts. Windows is an OS that gets replaced every few years. OS X is a single on-going OS that has improvements implemented every few years. They're completely different paradigms. OS X is a project Apple improves on as time goes on. Windows gets remade every few years.

Edit: And I was beaten I see.

Peterthumpa

But you'd still be wrong. OS X and Windows are different beasts. Windows is an OS that gets replaced every few years. OS X is a single on-going OS that has improvements implemented every few years. They're completely different paradigms. OS X is a project Apple improves on as time goes on. Windows gets remade every few years.

Edit: And I was beaten I see.

Yes, but the Snow Leopard upgrade was way more substantial than Lion, which was more substantial than Mountain Lion. At least from my experience.

dwebo

if I buy ML, would internet recovery automatically download that instead of SL? it already asks for apple ID to check eligibility IIRC, so I'm assuming it would...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, but the Snow Leopard upgrade was way more substantial than Lion, which was more substantial than Mountain Lion. At least from my experience.

Mountain Lion is basically to bring all the good shit you have on your iPhone and iPad to your desktop/laptop as well with the cloud. The way computing should be going. It needs to get to the point where it doesn't matter if you pick up your iPad, go out with your iPhone, or sit down at your Mac, you'll always still be able to pick up where you left off.

As long as the apps are designed correctly. Apple's stuff is designed right. And Chrome is doing a great job. Other apps are following as well. But some haven't embraced the cloud yet and it's sad. But in time hopefully it falls into place. I think Apple should have imposed MANDATORY iCloud support to force developers to take advantage. They fucked up when they didn't force devs to make Universal apps instead of charging extra for a second separate version. But that's just me. I personally believe this stuff should be natural. And the only way is for Apple to impose some rules that must be followed. But they won't so...

I still think iCloud should work exactly like DropBox where it's a folder in your Home folder that you can manually drop things into. It's a shame it isn't.

I think this just turned into a rant.

dc89

Anyone here play League of Legends using the iLOL client using a Mountain Lion build? I need to know if it works or not before I pull the trigger on the upgrade straight away.

Magnus

Lion runs great on my late 2009 MBP

How. I don't believe you, lol. Unless you dumped a bunch of extra RAM into it or something.

Or maybe our definitions of 'great' are different. ;) I mean, it runs just fine on this MBP. But after SL, it's like night and day.

How. I don't believe you, lol. Unless you dumped a bunch of extra RAM into it or something.

4gig of ram and slightly faster hdd than the shit that came with my pc. Runs about the same as SL.

oh and please disable spotlight, that thing was a resource hog on my system.

goomba

Banned
4gig of ram and slightly faster hdd than the shit that came with my pc. Runs about the same as SL.

oh and please disable spotlight, that thing was a resource hog on my system.

Spotlight is a core OS function, you shouldnt have to disable a core OS function to get your computer up to speed.

Majine

Banned
This'll be the first time in awhile that I visit the Mac App Store. Has that thing taken off, or has it become the destination for just Mac OS updates, lol?

buhdeh

nope.

I'd say it's more like an "expansion pack", than a "service pack". Service Packs usually just clean up/fix broken shit. This adds several new, meaningful features.

What? It's definitely more of a service pack. 80% of the features on the Apple site are stuff like "new groups column in address book". I mean, come on. I don't know how they're handling Safari updates but you shouldn't have to pay $20 just to have your default internet browser get an update, ffs.

Tuck

At launch, it seemed like Lion sped up my computer. But a year later, its getting kind of sluggish. Hopefulyl Mountain Lion speeds it up a bit.

I wish there was more to Mountain Lion. Aside from a few major additions, the above post is right - most of the '200 new features' are extremely minor. I really want them to revamp the Finder and iTunes (Especially the Finder though). They should take UI inspiration from the twitter app and Sparrow. Both really slick designs, and similar in their styling.

Maybe next year.

This'll be the first time in awhile that I visit the Mac App Store. Has that thing taken off, or has it become the destination for just Mac OS updates, lol?

Theres a couple of cool apps. Better Snap Tool (Windows Snapping from Windows 7) is amazing. Fantastical looks great too, though I wish it didn't need iCal as a backbone, cause I don't use iCal. I tried it for a bit and iCal kept opening. Too bad because the concept is brilliant. I'm giving Evernote a try. Reeder is supposedly a good RSS app, though I don't want to pay for it. Sparrow was cool, but now it isn't being updated further. There still isn't a definitive weather app however.

I've now seen two apps, Fantastical and Notes that run entirely from the Menu bar. You just click on it and they drop down. What a clever idea. I want more of that.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
What? It's definitely more of a service pack. 80% of the features on the Apple site are stuff like "new groups column in address book". I mean, come on. I don't know how they're handling Safari updates but you shouldn't have to pay $20 just to have your default internet browser get an update, ffs.
Yeah. I don't mind them charging for new OSX features like Game Center and Reminders, but I wish the Safari updates were free. I skipped Snow Leopard, but both Safari for Leopard and Safari for Lion have been full of problems, and while I'm in the window to get Mountain Lion free, I'd be annoyed if I had to pay for basic fixes.

Sec0nd

Do I lose my stuff when I install Mountain Lion? Sorry couldn't find it in the OT and I'm a complete and utter Mac noob. I'm guessing it stays on right?

Tuck

Do I lose my stuff when I install Mountain Lion? Sorry couldn't find it in the OT and I'm a complete and utter Mac noob. I'm guessing it stays on right?

You won't lose anything. Backing up your stuff is always wise, in case something goes wrong though.

Use Chrome and don't update at all! It's the more stable browser of the two on OSX anyway. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom