• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My Safari's bookmarks have been broken on iOS since the iOS5 beta anyway. I use Chrome and now that there's an iOS Chrome, I don't even have to worry about Safari. Except when an app opens a link in it. iOS Chrome, aside from the JavaScript limitations, is perfect and gives you everything Safari would on iOS 6 anyway. Except instead of iCloud syncing it uses Google's own syncing.

btkadams

Use Chrome and don't update at all! It's the more stable browser of the two on OSX anyway. :D

i switched back to safari recently after using chrome for the past few years. i found chrome to be increasingly unstable. i could just be an oddity though. i haven't had a problem with safari yet.

giga

Here's some of the more little changes that I've seen.

iCloud documents.

MrFuH.png

BH4h4.png

zAs7N.png

New dock.

4TzWo.png

4dHvy.png

p6w3Z.png

Incremental volume adjustments (hold opt+shift when changing volume)

OeiPu.png

Notification Center.

BeR3V.png

MTQyu.png

QnsTn.png

Non-grouped Expose ala 10.5 Leopard.

04XZi.png

Lion

1YxtI.jpg

Mountain Lion

pi6DR.jpg

Turn off Resume and Auto Save.

IN3Sn.png

Dictation

V5hNg.png

Finder copy/move files progress bar in icon.

F1aCy.png

Sections in Finder sidebar can be rearranged.

rn3Tw.png

Launchpad search.

M74tE.png

Background software updates, automatic security updates, etc.

WiNKf.png

Safari-style inline search in Mail messages.

gE4ea.png

Preview annotation tools.

CgeZc.png

LyGAk.png

2QpB8.png

Expanding scrollbars over hover.

fMdDA.png
wUUnT.png

What? It's definitely more of a service pack. 80% of the features on the Apple site are stuff like "new groups column in address book". I mean, come on. I don't know how they're handling Safari updates but you shouldn't have to pay $20 just to have your default internet browser get an update, ffs.
Who said you had to pay $20 to upgrade your default browser? Safari 6 is coming for Lion as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The old-style Exposé is the best. Glad they put that back. And the best part is it's proportional again. (App Exposé is still a grid though, but Mission Control is proportional)

Do apps have to be updated for iCloud saving? See, if they simply used the DropBox method, they wouldn't need a separate "Move to iCloud" option. You'd just need an iCloud folder in the sidebar. I am so sad they didn't go this route. I won't use iCloud for a while because of this.

I love the new Dock. I really do. It's not glossy, rather matte with blurred icons and less reflection and that crosswalk style separator is gone. It looks much better as a notch. And the rounded edges look much less painful.

I don't care for the ordering of the rightmost menubar icons though. Spotlight was always in the far right corner. Then Fullscreen came along. I'd rather it be to the left of Spotlight. Now we have the Notifications Center icon to the right too. I dunno. Just too much up there now. But I guess it's required. Guess it's not a big deal since I just swipe for NC and Command+Space for Spotlight. So meh.

Dictation is sometimes useful. I still wish there was full-blown Siri with keyword voice activation. Like "Siri" *ding ding* "What is the weather like outside?" *ding ding* "Let's see. It appears to be really sunny. Here's the forecast for you." etc etc. They wouldn't need built-in apps for this stuff. Just open a browser (Your DEFAULT ONE PLEASE!) to the proper website.

The progress bar on the icon is really nice too.

And the scrollbar expanding if you hover over it when scrolling is nice. But I wish it would show up completely if you simply put the mouse near the edge as well.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
OMG BETTER ANNOTATION IN PREVIEW

daafbdca40fc1fbb3601e5f244372438.gif

I'm not even kidding. I am really happy about this.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Here's some of the more little changes that I've seen.

Notification Center.

BeR3V.png

MTQyu.png

QnsTn.png

So what is the deal with alerts and banners, etc.?
I could be wrong but I remember reading that only App Store programs could use it didn't they, or am I remembering wrong?

I ask because I see chrome, lol.

giga

So what is the deal with alerts and banners, etc.?
I could be wrong but I remember reading that only App Store programs could use it didn't they, or am I remembering wrong?

I ask because I see chrome, lol.
Push notifications are app store only. Local notifications are open to all apps. Local requires the app to be running. Push doesn't.

Growl is actually integrating into it as well: http://growl.posterous.com/going-forward-with-growl-and-notification-cen

is it even worth upgrading my 2008 unibody?

Lion seemed to already impact performance...i do have 4gb ram in there rather than the stock 2gb, so i'm over that req.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can't wait for dat notification center and all the other new stuff. Everything felt lightning fast when I went from an oldass HP notebook to a Macbook Air with Lion, but any performance bump is always appreciated.

On the browsers talk, I use Chrome occasionally but one of the reasons I stick to Safari is that I love how the two-finger swipe works on it for back/forward, allowing you to not go all the way etc, while on Chrome it's just an arrow and no animation. If Safari ever gets bad for any reason I'll switch to either Chrome of FF, but Safari with extensions like ultimate status bar + clicktoplugin fits all my browsing needs, and the reading list between Mac and iPhone is a plus too (I know I can have it on other browsers). Haven't had any stability problems either.

Really been looking forward to the Notification Center/Notes/Reminders apps. That and the new dock since the current one's app window reflection issues have been annoying me as of late.

Hopefully they put it up early tomorrow as I have to leave for work around 10am.

(I haven't had any issues with Safari in 10.7.x either. I did at one time but that was due to AdBlock being a memory leaker, never had any issues after uninstalling it.)

What? It's definitely more of a service pack. 80% of the features on the Apple site are stuff like "new groups column in address book". I mean, come on. I don't know how they're handling Safari updates but you shouldn't have to pay $20 just to have your default internet browser get an update, ffs.
Safari is getting updated on Lion.

Every OS release by Apple has a long feature list on the website full of minor details like that. It has been going on for decades. It's aiming to be comprehensive, not manipulative.

What service pack is comparable to Mountain Lion's feature updates? I can't believe it's 2012 and we're still comparing everything to XP SP2, which was necessary as a monster security update because the base OS was unprepared for the world to be constantly connected to the Internet.

Borman

Safari is getting updated on Lion.

Every OS release by Apple has a long feature list on the website full of minor details like that. It has been going on for decades. It's aiming to be comprehensive, not manipulative.

What service pack is comparable to Mountain Lion's feature updates? I can't believe it's 2012 and we're still comparing everything to XP SP2, which was necessary as a monster security update because the base OS was unprepared for the world to be constantly connected to the Internet.

People dont remember XP SP1 or before, which was even worse. I recall when XP came out, people were being told NOT to upgrade due to the issues.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They've started using Helvetica on iOS since Retina came out. Now that the Retina Pro is out I wouldn't be surprised if they were moving towards using it everywhere.

giga

Helvetica Neue scales better than Lucida Grande on Retina. Saw some prominent designers talking about it.

Zaph

Are there restrictions on Airplay compatibility? I have heard my 2010 MBP is not compatible.
Feature-Specific Requirements: AirPlay Mirroring:

Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
• Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
• MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
• MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
Source.

Majine

Banned
Hopefully the Game Center on Mac is fast enough that I can just go in and accept all the frend requests faster than on iOS. People are really abusing that "Friends of friends" feature.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So will this be dropping at midnight PST rather than EST?

How did it go for Lion?
I dunno but Australia is getting it "early Thursday" and if it's coming out at the same time worldwide, that would make it no earlier than 10AM Eastern. Unless Apple doesn't release software on the App Store worldwide all at once.

I hope I'm wrong?

Artemisia

Banned
Another question: will apps like adium be able to be supported by the notification center in the future?

I am really hoping to be able to remove growl from my computer and just use the notification center.

Another question: will apps like adium be able to be supported by the notification center in the future?

I am really hoping to be able to remove growl from my computer and just use the notification center.
It's possible for non-App Store applications to use local notifications rather than push notifications. The only real difference to the user is that the application has to be running for a local notification to work.

The big and better news is that Growl will be updated to support sending its notifications to Notification Center instead, so it can work as an extension for applications that don't have NC support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom