• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

FerranMG

Got a question: what is your favorite mail client to use with Lion?

I've tried the stock mail app (too simple), Sparrow (seemed good, but I ended up finding read/unread items very different to tell appart, and the general UI is appealing but impractical for me), Thunderbird (didn't like the UI that much, seemed like too old, but I still want to play with it a little bit), but nothing really convinces me so far.
I have a regular Gmail account, but I'd rather use and app than Gmail's web view.

I use the stock mail app, though it always gives me issues with my secondary inbox (Yahoo). I really should get rid of that account but there are some accounts that are linked to that address and I'm too lazy to reset them. But yeah, Mail always asks me for passwords. It's annoying.

I'm gonna say right now that there are some apps that reaallllllllly shouldn't incorporate "Versions" support. I use ScreenFlow for recording LP's and videos of my screen and for some stupid reason they decided to support Versions. What does that mean? It means EVERY time you make a change and save the file, it creates a whole new version and keeps the old one. Which means it gobbles up GIGABYTES of my SSD every time I make changes. And if I forget to delete the Versions it created (By going through hoops to get to the UI) before deleting my source, it keeps the Version in a hidden protected folder you can't delete without also going through more hoops.

Every time I make a change the app freezes with a beachball for upwards of 3-5 minutes while it duplicates the files. And where I had 60GB free, I then had 32GB free and now have less than 7GB free and I haven't even been able to get to the Browser to delete them.

Is there any way to disable Versions for a single app? This is ridiculous!
Contact the guys who did RestoreMeNot and see if they'd be able to add support for disabling Versions as well as Resume. Or just contact the developer of the specific app you're having troubles with.

Facetime

Yesterday someone tried to Facetime, but the app was not turned on nor on my dock. Fiddling around with it today, it suggested that I must have it turned on to receive any calls...but turning it on means having the webcam light turned on constantly. I don't want that, so it seems I have to communicate with caller to let them when I have it turned on.

It would be better if you could receive calls, or 'available', without having your webcam turned on unless you accept the call

mrkgoo

Facetime

Yesterday someone tried to Facetime, but the app was not turned on nor on my dock. Fiddling around with it today, it suggested that I must have it turned on to receive any calls...but turning it on means having the webcam light turned on constantly. I don't want that, so it seems I have to communicate with caller to let them when I have it turned on.

It would be better if you could receive calls, or 'available', without having your webcam turned on unless you accept the call

I receive calls when it's off.

It will use a notification system, I believe. Supposedly, The appstore is supposed to notify me of updates too when it's off, but it never does.

Anyway, could be a ports thing.

Just downloaded what I think to be the most natural computer voice system I think I've ever heard; Serena. Try it out guys

I receive calls when it's off.

It will use a notification system, I believe. Supposedly, The appstore is supposed to notify me of updates too when it's off, but it never does.

Anyway, could be a ports thing.

Hmm. Interesting.

jts

...hate me...
Yep, FaceTime receives calls without having the app running. Just make sure the service is turned on. Then quit the app.

mrkgoo

Hmm. Why does the Mac App Store app have two options in the "Window" menu: 1) App Store, 2) Mac Appstore, with option 1) seemingly doing nothing?

c4tO

KtSlime

Hmm. Why does the Mac App Store app have two options in the "Window" menu: 1) App Store, 2) Mac Appstore, with option 1) seemingly doing nothing?

c4tO

My only guess is because of an oversight in the automated construction of the Window menu. The first option should bring up the App Store window if it were to be closed, and the second one is to bring the %title window to the front, if there were multiple windows. However, the Mac AppStore app auto quits when the window is closed, so option 1 is pointless (it exists because the Window menu built it by default), and the second one %title is pointless since there is only ever the one window (also built by default).

Frankly I've been calling for death of the Window menu for quite a while now, but Mac 'Power'users can be rather crotchety about the removal of 'features'. Just consider this as 'freedom' and move on. :lol

My only guess is because of an oversight in the automated construction of the Window menu. The first option should bring up the App Store window if it were to be closed, and the second one is to bring the %title window to the front, if there were multiple windows. However, the Mac AppStore app auto quits when the window is closed, so option 1 is pointless (it exists because the Window menu built it by default), and the second one %title is pointless since there is only ever the one window (also built by default).

Frankly I've been calling for death of the Window menu for quite a while now, but Mac 'Power'users can be rather crotchety about the removal of 'features'. Just consider this as 'freedom' and move on. :lol
There are still some apps it's useful in. What about developers being able to disable it on a per-app basis?

mrkgoo

Sounds reasonable. Other apps don't have the first option though? Or at least not when a window is open. Weird.

But yeah, I never use that menu.

Link? Google is failing me...

I'm guessing got so System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Voiceover utility -> change the name -> Customize -> Select Serena (UK voice), then when you select OK, it will try to download.

KtSlime

Hey! I use that menu quite often!

There are still some apps it's useful in. What about developers being able to disable it on a per-app basis?

There are times when it is useful, and times when it is not. However, since most mac apps have moved away from the document model, it is usually useless - it certainly shouldn't be constructed for all apps now. But I also want to get rid of the zoom and minimize features of WindowServer as well so...

mrkgoo said:
Sounds reasonable. Other apps don't have the first option though? Or at least not when a window is open. Weird.
Quite a number of apps do, Finder doesn't, but Mail does "Message Viewer", and I think iTunes does it as well.

KtSlime

OK, what's your reasoning here? Those can be useful features.

I think minimize does not need to exist in apps that have a single window. The differences between a closed window, a quit app, and a minimized window was based on the recall speed of the window - as long as the app can launch as fast as a window being un-minimized, the distinctions that remain are vestigial.

For document based apps, a recently opened menu that exists in app-exposé could replace minimize.

Multi-window browser style apps are the only kind of apps I can see as benefiting from minimize, and perhaps focusing more on tabs could reduce the need. The Finder is the only app I find myself ever minimizing windows of these days.

Zoom could be added to a contextual menu people can pull up on the titlebars of windows. We could add a few extra window resize functions along with it.

Simplifying window chrome and menus is a worthwhile goal, and one that I think Apple will slowly try and tackle in the upcoming years.

mrkgoo

Quite a number of apps do, Finder doesn't, but Mail does "Message Viewer", and I think iTunes does it as well.

Oh yeah, I see it now.

Speaking of windows and buttons and stuff, I kind of wish the full screen button wasn't a separate thing over on the right. Like since it's kind of a window 'control', I wish it were like a blue "traffic light" over with the others.

So I just downloaded CCleaner from the Mac App Store... I don't really get why Windows users recommend it so much. Can someone who also uses the Windows version tell me what's in the Windows version that was left out from the Mac version?

Magni

Been thinking of adding OSX to my OS collection for ages now, and I may finally buy an MBP for that within the next two weeks.

Three questions:

What's the best way to use OneNote? PD7 Coherence mode? Is the MS Mac BU ever going to port it over?

Will Zune work well in PD7 for Windows Phone or should I just use the Connector for Mac?

(this one is more apple.com related) How do I go about getting an English (International) keyboard from the US store? I live between the US and France, and can only choose that layout from the French site, but that would cost me $500 more..

Will Zune work well in PD7 for Windows Phone or should I just use the Connector for Mac?

I don't believe there is a Zune client for the Mac. The Windows Phone Connector does the job well if you're looking to just sync media.

(this one is more apple.com related) How do I go about getting an English (International) keyboard from the US store? I live between the US and France, and can only choose that layout from the French site, but that would cost me $500 more..
Have you tried eBay?

Magni

I don't believe there is a Zune client for the Mac. The Windows Phone Connector does the job well if you're looking to just sync media.

Yes I know, but I meant if I virtualized it using Parallels Desktop? I've heard the Mac Connector is way dumbed down compared to Zune, I was wondering if it was worth the loss in performance to run Zune virtually just to have access to the standard WP features.

Have you tried eBay?

Why would I try eBay? I did just in case now, but didn't find anything.

Magni

Oh no I meant the actual keyboard layout on the laptop itself, not an external keyboard. I prefer QWERTY to AZERTY but I still need to use accents all the time, so I'd really love to have the English (International) layout.

It's not a deal-breaker, but it would be really nice to have.

edit:

http://provideocoalition.com/index....sh_keyboard_even_if_you_only_type_in_english/

Hmmm, my question now is: are the Western Spanish (from apple.com) and the Spanish layout from that link the same?

edit2:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3247095?start=0&tstart=0

Seems like I'm set, yay!

How difficult is it to switch from Windows to Mac regarding iTunes? I have everything perfectly setup in iTunes and my XML file is around 10 MB. All my data is on the secondary D:\ so if on Mac can I simply drop in my XML files into iTunes and all my stuff will work [if data is on D:\ in Mac]

Jasoco

Banned
Now I remember one of the reasons I use Movist (However buggy it is) over VLC.

ibzPZ4AHog4Jop.PNG

For someone who likes to clear his cache religiously, this is annoying as shit. And I don't even use subtitles so why do I need to build a font cache? No other program needs to do this! Why the hell can't I turn this "feature" off? Makes me so Changry.

Movist launches immediately and lets me choose whether to watch a video using QuickTime or FFMPEG. It's very convenient. I even have a second copy set up to have no Dock icon so I can set it to "Always on Top" and have it float in the corner of any space I want to watch a video PIP style while browsing fullscreen...

ibzim9wkGV3g1a.PNG

mrkgoo

Apparently flashback, the mac Trojan that masks itself as a flash installer is back in the news:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/24...urns-with-a-multi-pronged-infection-strategy/

Last year, we profiled a Mac trojan horse known as "Flashback" that was masquerading as a Flash Player installer. While Apple has taken steps to protect users from the threat using its File Quarantine system under which users' computers initiate daily checks for updated malware definitions, the malware's authors have continued to tweak the trojan to improve its ability to both infect systems and evade detection.

Security firm Intego has issued a report on a new variant of the trojan, known as Flashback.G, which adopts a multi-pronged strategy in attacking users' systems. The first two methods rely on vulnerabilities in Java, and while the vulnerabilities are patched in systems running up-to-date versions of Java, outdated systems can be silently infected through these security holes.

Flashback.G's self-signed certificate seeking to trick users into allowing installation

On up-to-date systems lacking the Java vulnerabilities, Flashback.G presents a self-signed certificate claiming to be from Apple in an attempt to fool users into allowing the trojan to be installed on their systems. Once installed, the trojan begins searching for user names and passwords it can relay to the malware's authors.
This malware patches web browsers and network applications essentially to search for user names and passwords. It looks for a number of domains – websites such as Google, Yahoo!, CNN; bank websites; PayPal; and many others. Presumably, the people behind this malware are looking for both user names and passwords that they can immediately exploit – such as for a bank website – as well as others that may be reused on different sites.
Notably, Intego reports that the trojan aborts its own installation if it detects the presence of any of several antivirus applications on a user's Mac, presumably seeking to remain below the radar while focusing on vulnerable systems.

Intego recommends that users on Mac OS X Snow Leopard make sure that Java is fully up-to-date by running a check through Software Update, and for all users to be aware of the social engineering trick the trojan uses in attempting to gain permission for installation. The company of course also recommends that users equip their systems with antivirus software.

While malware has not been a tremendous threat to Mac users so far, its presence has been growing. Apple has stepped up its efforts to combat malware by enhancing its File Quarantine system to provide for the daily definition checks. OS X Mountain Lion will see another significant step with the introduction of Gatekeeper, a system by which users can limit installation of apps to sources such as the Mac App Store and developers who have registered with Apple as "identified developers".

Apple's Developer-ID program will utilize digital signatures on applications to link applications with a specific developer. If the developer is later discovered to be distributing malware or otherwise behaving improperly, installations of its existing apps can be deactivated by Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper does have its limitations, however, as it only scans applications downloaded through a handful of mechanisms such as browsers and can not detect applications that are modified by malware after their initial launch.

I think awareness and keeping upto date is the key here.

Anyway, it seems approprite that intego keys releases theses notices around a new flash update.... (I believe a new flash update popped up last night).

Apparently flashback, the mac Trojan that masks itself as a flash installer is back in the news:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/24...urns-with-a-multi-pronged-infection-strategy/

I think awareness and keeping upto date is the key here.

Anyway, it seems approprite that intego keys releases theses notices around a new flash update.... (I believe a new flash update popped up last night).
I never trust the update dialog box for Flash Player since this first came out. I always go and check myself to see if it's true.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My hard drive has started clicking and now my Mac won't turn on. Going to have to get it repaired now and I'm certain it won't be cheap.

Xeke

Banned
My biggest complaint with the name Mountain Lion is that a Puma and a Mountain Lion are the same thing and sometimes a Panther based on the usage.

KtSlime

My biggest complaint with the name Mountain Lion is that a Puma and a Mountain Lion are the same thing and sometimes a Panther based on the usage.

Doesn't bother me one bit, most of the members of the panthera family are quite similar genetically, and I suppose most people don't have much familiarity with how the large cats get taxonomically categorized and how that varies from their colloquial namings.

My hard drive has started clicking and now my Mac won't turn on. Going to have to get it repaired now and I'm certain it won't be cheap.

Hope you backed up. If not, you might be fucked.

Oh, and this is why you go SSD. My MBA gives me so much more peace of mind that my MBP. I'm sure SSDs can also fail, but not as easily as HDDs.

Jasoco

Banned
Hope you backed up. If not, you might be fucked.

Oh, and this is why you go SSD. My MBA gives me so much more peace of mind that my MBP. I'm sure SSDs can also fail, but not as easily as HDDs.
Yeah, SSD's also fail more gracefully. In most cases you won't lose everything as easily and you'll get read/write errors to tell you something's wrong. When my SSD was dying before I got the replacement, Carbon Copy Cloner threw up errors and warned me first. I noticed a few small files were now 0 bytes and was able to save everything. Not that I needed it since I had a backup. But if you didn't, you'd still be able to salvage most files on a SSD unless the actual electronic data components died. With a HDD, all it needs is a bad motor or read/write head and you lose EVERYTHING. Since there's too many single points of failure that can go and ruin the entire unit.

The last time I lost any data, i.e. the last time I had a HDD die without a backup, was 2001. My original iMac had a HDD die within its first year. Lost everything. Less than a year later the HDD started dying again. That time I noticed the signs. (Long boot times and file load times) So I ran to the store and bought myself my first (But not last) backup HDD. I was able to clone everything to it just before the drive died. I have had MANY drive deaths since 2001. MANY. Hard drives die. SSD's die. I now keep redundant copies of everything. Sometimes in more than two places.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah. My old iMac started showing bad signs of health a couple of years ago with graphical glitches (like this, but not as bad) so I bought an external straight away and backed up everything. Somehow managed to keep it going and then a completely unrelated error kills it.

Thing is I like the white iMacs so it be nice to keep it around. Even it really is gone for a burton I guess I may have to get a new one.

JonCha

For work I convert .pages documents to .txt documents, but questions mark/apostrophes are now coming up as question marks. I've tired to change the encoding, but nothing. Solution?

sooooo. i have a bootcamp partition but i'm going to wipe it for the consumer preview of windows 8 tomorrow. how do i go about doing this? would i also be able to enlarge the partition at the same time?

http://provideocoalition.com/index....sh_keyboard_even_if_you_only_type_in_english/

Hmmm, my question now is: are the Western Spanish (from apple.com) and the Spanish layout from that link the same?

Even using the bog-standard US-English layout, it's been absolutely trivial to do accents in the Mac operating system for the past 20+ years (wrote reports for French & German classes in high school).

French and German:
accents, umlauts, etc: Option plus a trigger key (tilde, e, i, u, n) then an appropriate letter for that mark.

ç & Ç: option-c and option-C

«guillemets»: option-\ and option-|

ß: option-s

Sanjuro

sooooo. i have a bootcamp partition but i'm going to wipe it for the consumer preview of windows 8 tomorrow. how do i go about doing this? would i also be able to enlarge the partition at the same time?

No. You'll be deleting the partition and starting boot camp from the beginning. You might be able to upgrade the OS, but I have no idea how they are handling the Windows 8 upgrade.

So I finally caved and purchased the Base 13" MBP + $40 8GB memory upgrade. Was going to hold out for the 2012 update but I couldn't resist the urge at best buy last night. I haven't even opened the box yet. Can't wait to crack it open tonight. I own an Iphone & a Ipad but never made the leap to a apple computer till now.

I hope its not a difficult transition from PC to MAC. Pray for me.

:0)

Quick

Banned
So I finally caved and purchased the Base 13" MBP + $40 8GB memory upgrade. Was going to hold out for the 2012 update but I couldn't resist the urge at best buy last night. I haven't even opened the box yet. Can't wait to crack it open tonight. I own an Iphone & a Ipad but never made the leap to a apple computer till now.

I hope its not a difficult transition from PC to MAC. Pray for me.

:0)

It's really easy to get used to if you're a regular PC user. Shortcuts are probably what'll take the most time to get used to, but it's not difficult. Click this.

I split time between my desktop PC and Macbook Pro. I don't think I can go Mac 100% quite yet.

Top Bottom